Walmart Doing Away With Cashiers

Being an Orthodox Jew I know lots and lots of people across the US; Warren Buffet stories are long gone.

Meh, I disagree.

Not sure how being an Orthodox Jew makes you privy to anything special. I know, literally, thousands of as a result of a military career, a career in the music industry and then my business career, and I'm a recovering Catholic...

Meh, I disagree.

Not sure how being an Orthodox Jew makes you privy to anything special. I know, literally, thousands of as a result of a military career, a career in the music industry and then my business career, and I'm a recovering Catholic...
When’s the last time you heard of this type of occurrence?

Not…
Businesses are too big today to give such regard to someone at the bottom of the ladder.

There are literally dozens of independently owned restaurants in St. Augustine, where the restaurant in the video is located. Any one of them could follow that same path, and they're not "too big today to give such regard to someone at the bottom of the ladder"...

There are literally dozens of independently owned restaurants in St. Augustine, where the restaurant in the video is located. Any one of them could follow that same path, and they're not "too big today to give such regard to someone at the bottom of the ladder"...
I work with an ex-chef and he would rather chop off his nuts than work 18 hours a day managing even one restaurant.
Mind you, I know people who love doing it but they look like shit by the time they hit 60.
I say to each their own.

My Walmart constantly has a police car parked out front. Most Walmarts do. That cop is somewhere around the store, either upstairs where they watch the customers from overhead, or on the floor. I fucking guarantee you that if the cop was standing next to the receipt guy you would comply. You're only not complying because you don't see the receipt guy as a threat.

That doesn't make you right. It just makes you an asshole.
You're so full of shit your breath stinks.

When’s the last time you heard of this type of occurrence?

I pointed out O'Steen's simply because it's a local example. It would be ignorant to believe it no longer happens.

From busboy to boss: How the owner of The Spot turned it into a family favorite

Busboy to Owner in 12 Years

El Salvador native recalls journey from busboy to restaurant owner

There is no shortage of examples...

I pointed out O'Steen's simply because it's a local example. It would be ignorant to believe it no longer happens.

From busboy to boss: How the owner of The Spot turned it into a family favorite

Busboy to Owner in 12 Years

El Salvador native recalls journey from busboy to restaurant owner

There is no shortage of examples...
I was thinking along the lines of a business where you can become big and have other people work for you.

I work with an ex-chef and he would rather chop off his nuts than work 18 hours a day managing even one restaurant.
Mind you, I know people who love doing it but they look like shit by the time they hit 60.
I say to each their own.

Meh, maybe he wasn't cut out for it in the long haul. My old bass player's a chef and owned his own restaurant in Florence, Montana. He's a truck driver now.

But a local restauranteer who lives in my neighborhood already owns one of the most successful, high-end restaurants in St. Augustine, and he's opening a second in Vilano Beach. The guy can't get enough of it...

I was thinking along the lines of a business where you can become big and have other people work for you.
So we went from a claim that 'those stories no longer happen' about a self made man in the restaurant business to a completely unrelated claim because he showed that your statement was bullshit. A claim that is still bullshit as a restaurant has no size limits. Trappers is an example in my area. The owner went from working a sushi counter at another sushi joint to running 5 restaurants. And still growing.

And there are multiple of those.

And this is ONE field out of many. The simplest to pull from because it is high visibility.

Nice try.

WHat are you talking about?
Why would I be next? My job cannot be done by a machine. Literally impossible until they develop fully humanoid A.I. with arms/legs/ etc.
College graduate with narrow minded robotic skills? What does that even mean?
Smug As a Bug Under a Rug, Until Squished

Your frantic objection shows that you don't totally believe the comforting lies you tell yourself.

I didn't say I had a problem with capitalism, moron. I disagreed with your assertion that it was capitalism. Two entirely different things for anyone with a lick of sense.
How Long Would the NFL Last If the Players Could Pass on Their Positions to Their Sons?

Hereditary power contradicts and destroys Capitalism. That's why it is never debated on the Netrix.

Masters....that's about the equivalent of a two year college degree now isn't it?
"Delayed Gratification" Causes a Brain Drain

I met a girl in a Biotechnology program, one of the two students out of fifteen who was born in America. She got paid a student salary of $600 a week plus free tuition. If undergraduates got that, all fifteen students would be Americans.

Twenty-four years old and can afford to eat at a restaurant more expensive than McDonald's for the first time in her life. And it's a lot worse for males to live in undergraduate-student poverty.

Last edited:
This isn't covid related but has been something they have been leaning to for quite some time.
And I'm glad.
OK, granted, I just happen to live in the town that Walmart was founded. My house is just a few blocks from that first location. Sometimes I will stop by another grocery store on the way home because they are most likely to have the ice cream that I like. Each time I go, I am reminded how much quicker my shopping trip would be if I just had a self check out instead of having to stand behind someone with a full cart, 2 checkouts are actually open and the customers there will regularly use a check to pay for their purchase.
It is slow and painfully inefficient for customers to have to wait on some high school drop out try to figure out how to scan something.

If the scenario that you describe was what is happening at Walmart, I would agree. However, what I have witnessed at our Walmart does not follow your description. In our store, there are more employees tending to customers in the kiosks than there were at cash registers prior to the change. Adding to those employees are the receipt checkers. I don't see the reduction of manpower. Pilferage is also on the increase in WA, in particular, because they charge for bags that many people choose not to purchase, so it is difficult to tell who has paid and who hasn't as the unbagged items leave the store. The cashiers are a cost of doing business that is already figured into the prices. Also, those kiosks purchase and installation costs are not free. Now if Walmart discounted my order by $15/hr divided by my checkout time, I might think differently but we both know that will not happen.
Scrooges Are As Sociopathic As Judges Soft on Crime

This is how technology creates jobs. From what I read here, Walmart desperately needs more employees to decrease rampant shoplifting.

Forum List

Back