Wall Street VS. OWS: Who's Winning This War?

Wall Steet VS. OWS: Who's Winning This War?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let me know when these OWS goals have been met...
Stomping out Capitalism

That's not an Occupy goal.

Here is a list of other OWS goals, from their own website...

It's from their FORUM, doofus. It's no more "Occupy's" goal than my posts here constitute "US Message Board's" goal.

Oh, and don't forget... according to OWS, there is a difference between personal and private property.

LOL that's one I missed. Where did you find that, on a scrap of paper someone scribbled on and dropped beside a tent or something?

I voted for Occupy on the grounds that prior to its emergence Wall Street was unopposed. The fact that an opposition has arisen where there was none means that the opposition is winning, although there are many battles yet to fight.

As usual, my friends on the right have no clue what the movement is about or even where the battlefield lies, and so are evaluating it based on false criteria (e.g. how the stock market is doing). The target has always been, not Wall Street itself, but the corrupt influence of Wall Street over the government, so forget the stock prices and try to evaluate that. It's still in existence, of course, but the fact that the subject is being addressed in politics now and that liberalism in the Democratic Party is starting to show feeble signs of life counts as a victory.

As for the effect on the dialog, let's see what comes up in a Google search for "income inequality":

Debating the future of the middle class - latimes.com

Income inequality: The not-quite-winning issue | StarTribune.com

AFP: Obama challenges rivals on US income inequality

Obama and income inequality | The Salt Lake Tribune

And for "campaign finance" or "campaign finance reform":

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/31/us/politics/restore-our-future-attack-ads-harm-gingrich-in-iowa.html

City's 'Pay to Play' Campaign Law Survives Lawsuit - NYTimes.com

Best Of: Occupy Wall Street group protests at campaign finance HQ | Florida Independent

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/books/republic-lost-campaign-finance-reform-book-review.html

Ill. task force offers public financing options - BusinessWeek

So there you go. As usual, Occupy can quote Mark Twain regarding exaggeration of the reports of its demise. ;)

Let me know when these OWS goals have been met...
Stomping out Capitalism

Here is a list of other OWS goals, from their own website...
http://occupywallst.org/forum/the-ows-has-goals-here-are-the-ows-goals/
yup. Empty page. Seems their primary goal is to stomp out capitalism.

Oh, and don't forget... according to OWS, there is a difference between personal and private property. It's OK for them to take someone else's private property, but it's not ok for someone to take their personal property.

Bunch of fucknuts.
From your link:

"Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%. We are using the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic to achieve our ends and encourage the use of nonviolence to maximize the safety of all participants."

Occupy Wall Street | NYC Protest for World Revolution

Why do you continually shill for the greed and corruption of the 1%?

Yeah, deregulation. Go with that.

People that work in the financial sector can't scratch their ass without filling out four forms for various government agencies.
Yeah, exactly. Removing restrictions among banking companies, securities companies and insurance companies had nothing to do with Wall Street's latest looting.

In the same way Gramm-Leach-Bliley's repeal of conflict of interest restraints "against simultaneous service by any officer. director, or employee of a securities firm as an officer, director, or employee of any member bank had nothing to do with the 2007 subprime mortgage financial crisis.
First you said deregulation "throughout the '80s, '90s and the first decade of the new century" was to blame. But, when pressed, you showed one whole example from 1999. Signed into law (and still defended) by one Bill Clinton, no less.

So where's the rest of the deregulation you claimed?
Here's a timeline from 1973 to 2010:

"1978, Marquette vs. First of Omaha – Supreme Court allows banks to export the usury
laws of their home state
nationwide and sets off a competitive wave of deregulation,
resulting in the complete elimination of usury rate ceilings in South Dakota and Delaware,
among others.
"• 1980, Depository Institutions Deregulation and Monetary Control Act – Legislation
increases deposit insurance from $40,000 to $100,000, authorizes new authority to thrift
institutions, and calls for the complete phase-out of interest rate ceilings on deposit
accounts.
"• 1982, Garn-St. Germain Depository Institutions Act – Bill deregulates thrifts almost
entirely
, allowing commercial lending and providing for a new account to compete with
money market mutual funds. This was a Reagan administration initiative that passed with
strong bi-partisan support.
"• 1987, FSLIC Insolvency – GAO..."

http://www.openthegovernment.org/sites/default/files/otg/dereg-timeline-2009-07.pdf

Well, it was in response to something someone else said about the disappearance of Occupy and its issues from the media. I wasn't presenting it as proof of anything beyond disproof of that. However, I disagree. The mainstream media are corporate owned and corporate dominated and generally hew to an agenda laid down by the owners. Those owners and Occupy are on opposite sides of the fence, and they would have greatly preferred to ignore Occupy, which they did for a long time.

The mainstream media lives off of news. OWS was ripe with all the elements that tv news loves today. Nope, coporate news media loves OWS. Also, with most being left leaning, the news media is quite sympathetic to their cause. This was made for tv demonstrations. OWS just failed.

Yeah, exactly. Removing restrictions among banking companies, securities companies and insurance companies had nothing to do with Wall Street's latest looting.

In the same way Gramm-Leach-Bliley's repeal of conflict of interest restraints "against simultaneous service by any officer. director, or employee of a securities firm as an officer, director, or employee of any member bank had nothing to do with the 2007 subprime mortgage financial crisis.
First you said deregulation "throughout the '80s, '90s and the first decade of the new century" was to blame. But, when pressed, you showed one whole example from 1999. Signed into law (and still defended) by one Bill Clinton, no less.

"1978, Marquette vs. First of Omaha – Supreme Court allows banks to export the usury
laws of their home state
resulting in the complete elimination of usury rate ceilings in South Dakota and Delaware,
among others.
Deregluation, granted. Mainly only affected the credit card industry.
"• 1980, Depository Institutions Deregulation and Monetary Control Act – Legislation
increases deposit insurance from $40,000 to $100,000, authorizes new authority to thrift
institutions, and calls for the complete phase-out of interest rate ceilings on deposit
accounts.
It also forced banks to follow the Fed's rules. Net effect is more regulation.
"• 1982, Garn-St. Germain Depository Institutions Act – Bill deregulates thrifts almost
entirely
, allowing commercial lending and providing for a new account to compete with
money market mutual funds. This was a Reagan administration initiative that passed with
strong bi-partisan support.
And the S&L's turned right around and face planted because the market couldn't support them. Deregulation, yes. The market worked.
Not deregulation.

The rest of the list is the same. The author made some interesting exaggerations (Gramm-Leach-Bliley did not repeal "the Glass-Steagall Act completely.")

Burden not met.

As far as influencing Wall Street, it seems consumers are showing the most influence. Ask Verizon. See in a properly functioning economy, consumers change corporate behavior by their buying habits.

laws of their home state
among others.
And the S&L's turned right around and face planted because the market couldn't support them. Deregulation, yes. The market worked.
Not deregulation.

The rest of the list is the same. The author made some interesting exaggerations (Gramm-Leach-Bliley did not repeal "the Glass-Steagall Act completely.")

Burden not met.
"1996, Fed Reinterprets Glass-Steagall – Federal Reserve reinterprets the Glass-Steagall
Act several times, eventually allowing bank holding companies to earn up to 25 percent of
their revenues in investment banking.
• 1998, Citicorp-Travelers Merger – Citigroup, Inc. merges a commercial bank with an
insurance company that owns an investment bank to form the world’s largest financial
services company.
• 1999, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act – With support from Fed Chairman Greenspan, Treasury
Secretary Rubin and his successor Lawrence Summers, the bill repeals the Glass-Steagall Act
completely.
• 2000, Commodity Futures Modernization Act – Passed with support from the Clinton
Administration, including Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers, and bi-partisan support in
Congress. The bill prevented the Commodity Futures Trading Commission from regulating
most over-the-counter derivative contracts, including credit default swaps."

http://www.openthegovernment.org/sites/default/files/otg/dereg-timeline-2009-07.pdf

"Undue corporate influence on politics is one of the mainstay complaints of the Occupy movement and it did not go unnoticed in this city (San Francisco).

"'When I arrived at Justin Herman Plaza [renamed Bradley Manning Plaza by Occupy] the General Assembly was just beginning and people were standing in a circle in the park, holding a meeting – the very definition of peaceful assembly. Suddenly we were surrounded by riot cops brandishing nightsticks. We never even heard a dispersal order.”

"Emma was trapped with about 50 others inside the police perimeter for over three hours.

“'At first, people went up to the police and asked if they could leave. The cops refused to talk. Anyone who approached the police line was struck with nightsticks and one man was seriously injured.

"'I was pretty scared. The cops didn’t arrest us but they kept us trapped in the park under threat of physical harm.'"

Low Friends in High Places: Triad of Business, Cops and Politicians Attack Occupy | Truthout

Well if true,that is wrong and tragic. Our Police Force has become Militarized and that does concern me. I watched a good Documentary on that the other night. Our Police Force is being trained on Para-Military tactics. It is starting to look a little scary. I fully support peaceful protests and i do believe our Police need to be re-trained on dealing with their fellow Citizens. The Para-Military approach is just wrong.

They have grossly over-reacted in some of these protests. I don't like where this is headed. Dressed in Black with all those weapons? Reminds me a little too much of the you-know-whos in that place in Europe. All Citizens should be concerned with our Police and their militarization. That's not what America is about.
At least these particular officers didn't play favorites:

"' Adding some comic relief to the situation was the single "one percenter" who was trapped with us. Despite hollering repeatedly that, "I’m not with them" and summoning his lawyer to the scene, the man was not allowed to leave the area either.”

"Shaw San Liu, the activist with CPA, was also encircled by the cops and said of that evening: 'What is this if not harassment and intimidation aimed at discouraging peaceful dissent?'”

I agree. The militarization of domestic law enforcement since 9/11 is a bigger threat to civil rights in the US than anything I've seen in my 64 years. The connection between the police and corporations like Hyatt is turning public law enforcement into a Praetorian Guard for the 1%.

Low Friends in High Places: Triad of Business, Cops and Politicians Attack Occupy | Truthout

I'm not an OWS supporter but i am concerned with this. The Militarization of our Police Force is bad for everyone. I would like to see this kind of Para-Military training ended. I think they need to be re-trained on dealing with their fellow Citizens. They have become very aggressive & callous. Almost like Terminators. It is a problem. We have to treat our fellow Citizens with respect.

laws of their home state
among others.
Not deregulation.

Burden not met.
"1996, Fed Reinterprets Glass-Steagall – Federal Reserve reinterprets the Glass-Steagall
Act several times, eventually allowing bank holding companies to earn up to 25 percent of
Need further evidence of this. I don't trust the author.
• 1998, Citicorp-Travelers Merger – Citigroup, Inc. merges a commercial bank with an
insurance company that owns an investment bank to form the world’s largest financial
services company.
A corporate merger is not deregulation.
• 1999, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act – With support from Fed Chairman Greenspan, Treasury
Secretary Rubin and his successor Lawrence Summers, the bill repeals the Glass-Steagall Act
completely.
Same one you started out with, same one I commented above that the author is being disingenuous by claiming it repeals the Act "completely."
• 2000, Commodity Futures Modernization Act – Passed with support from the Clinton
Administration, including Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers, and bi-partisan support in
Congress. The bill prevented the Commodity Futures Trading Commission from regulating
That makes three.

So massive deregulation = three narrow measures. Got it.

Not deregulation.

Burden not met.
Same one you started out with, same one I commented above that the author is being disingenuous by claiming it repeals the Act "completely."
That makes three.

Explain how repealing conflict of interest restraints "against simultaneous service by any officer, director, or employee of a securities firm as an officer, director or employee of any member bank" qualifies as a "narrow measure."

Would you say Alan Greenspan endorsed "narrow measures" of deregulation?

"Early in his (Greenspan"s) tenure, the Federal Reserve reinterpreted Glass-Steagall
to allow banks to deal in certain debt and equity securities, so long as it did not exceed the 10
percent limit rule.

"Later, in 1996, the Federal Reserve issued an audacious ruling, allowing bank
holding companies to own investment banking operations that accounted for as much as 25 percent
of their revenues.

"The decision rendered Glass-Steagall effectively obsolete, since virtually any
institution would be able to stay within the 25 percent level.19.

That makes three.

Explain how repealing conflict of interest restraints "against simultaneous service by any officer, director, or employee of a securities firm as an officer, director or employee of any member bank" qualifies as a "narrow measure."

"Early in his (Greenspan"s) tenure, the Federal Reserve reinterpreted Glass-Steagall
to allow banks to deal in certain debt and equity securities, so long as it did not exceed the 10
percent limit rule.

holding companies to own investment banking operations that accounted for as much as 25 percent
of their revenues.

Katherine Mangu-Ward said:
The Glass-Steagall Act of 1933 prohibited investment banks from acting as commercial banks, and vice versa. Signed by Bill Clinton (who continues to defend the legislation), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999 repealed those aspects of the law. Many on the left blame at least part of our current woes on that move. With the repeal, Barack Obama said in a March economic address, “we have deregulated the financial services sector, and we face another crisis.”

In fact, multiple exemptions to Glass-Steagall had been granted for years before Gramm-Leach-Bliley was signed into law. Most European financial markets, not normally known as more “deregulated” than the U.S., never separated commercial and investment banks in the first place. And there is no correspondence between institutions that benefited from the repeal and those that recently collapsed. Institutions that didn’t take advantage of the Glass-Steagall repeal, such as Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns, were the ones that failed most spectacularly, in part because they lacked the stability provided by commercial banking deposits.

If anything, Gramm-Leach-Bliley may have softened the blow. The George Mason economist Tyler Cowen argues that Gramm-Leach-Bliley made way for more diversity in the financial sector, and “so far in the crisis times the diversification has done considerably more good than harm.” Under the Glass-Steagall rules, Bank of America and J.P. Morgan Chase would not have been able to acquire Merrill Lynch and Bear Stearns. Nor would Goldman Sachs and Citibank have their current unified form, which may have helped them survive.

There is a significant body of academic work supporting this idea. The Rutgers economist Eugene Nelson White, for example, has found that national banks with security affiliates—the sort of institutions Glass-Steagall was designed to prevent—were much less likely to fail than banks without affiliates.
Source. Emphasis mine.

Wall Street is winning, they always do, but that does not make the battle any less worth fighting because the alternative is to be scared little serfs afraid to speak up and irritate the bosses.

What would be a sign that Wall Street was losing, a huge financial panic?
How about mass prosecutions for control fraud?

So arresting a bunch of Democrat politicians and executives from Fannie Mae and Freddie Max is the sign?

That makes three.

percent limit rule.

of their revenues.

The Glass-Steagall Act of 1933 prohibited investment banks from acting as commercial banks, and vice versa. Signed by Bill Clinton (who continues to defend the legislation), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999 repealed those aspects of the law. Many on the left blame at least part of our current woes on that move. With the repeal, Barack Obama said in a March economic address, “we have deregulated the financial services sector, and we face another crisis.”

In fact, multiple exemptions to Glass-Steagall had been granted for years before Gramm-Leach-Bliley was signed into law. Most European financial markets, not normally known as more “deregulated” than the U.S., never separated commercial and investment banks in the first place. And there is no correspondence between institutions that benefited from the repeal and those that recently collapsed. Institutions that didn’t take advantage of the Glass-Steagall repeal, such as Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns, were the ones that failed most spectacularly, in part because they lacked the stability provided by commercial banking deposits.

If anything, Gramm-Leach-Bliley may have softened the blow. The George Mason economist Tyler Cowen argues that Gramm-Leach-Bliley made way for more diversity in the financial sector, and “so far in the crisis times the diversification has done considerably more good than harm.” Under the Glass-Steagall rules, Bank of America and J.P. Morgan Chase would not have been able to acquire Merrill Lynch and Bear Stearns. Nor would Goldman Sachs and Citibank have their current unified form, which may have helped them survive.

There is a significant body of academic work supporting this idea. The Rutgers economist Eugene Nelson White, for example, has found that national banks with security affiliates—the sort of institutions Glass-Steagall was designed to prevent—were much less likely to fail than banks without affiliates.
Source. Emphasis mine.
"In the late 1990s, the fight over these and other exotic new derivatives pitted a committed regulator named Brooksley E. Born, head of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, against the powerhouse triumvirate of Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, Treasury Secretary Robert E. Rubin, and Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Arthur Levitt Jr.

"Unsurprisingly, Greenspan, Rubin, and Levitt won. The result was the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000, which gave the SEC only limited anti-fraud oversight of swaps and otherwise relied on industry self-regulation.

"The Washington Post has closely chronicled the clash, concluding that 'derivatives did not trigger what has erupted into the biggest economic crisis since the Great Depression. But their proliferation, and the uncertainty about their real values, accelerated the recent collapses of the nation’s venerable investment houses and magnified the panic that has since crippled the global financial system.'

"In other words: The absence of a regulation didn’t cause the crisis, but it may have exacerbated it."

Is Deregulation to Blame? - Reason Magazine

In some other words if government as it's existed for the last 5000 years isn't sufficiently competent to regulate Wall Street and Wall Street lacks the integrity for self-regulation, is it time for a wall of separation between private wealth and the state?

Joseph Stiglitz makes the point that Glass-Steagall worked well during that quarter-century after WWII when there was almost no financial or banking crises and a period of rapid economic growth combined with a reducing of the inequalities in US society.

Interviews - Joseph Stiglitz | The Warning | FRONTLINE | PBS

What would be a sign that Wall Street was losing, a huge financial panic?

So arresting a bunch of Democrat politicians and executives from Fannie Mae and Freddie Max is the sign?
Along with Hank Paulson, Alan Greenspan, Christopher Cox, and Phil Gramm. (You should go along with Phil since he's been elected as both a Democrat AND Republican during his time in "public service."

percent limit rule.

of their revenues.

Source. Emphasis mine.
"In the late 1990s, the fight over these and other exotic new derivatives pitted a committed regulator named Brooksley E. Born, head of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, against the powerhouse triumvirate of Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, Treasury Secretary Robert E. Rubin, and Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Arthur Levitt Jr.

"Unsurprisingly, Greenspan, Rubin, and Levitt won. The result was the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000, which gave the SEC only limited anti-fraud oversight of swaps and otherwise relied on industry self-regulation.

"The Washington Post has closely chronicled the clash, concluding that 'derivatives did not trigger what has erupted into the biggest economic crisis since the Great Depression. But their proliferation, and the uncertainty about their real values, accelerated the recent collapses of the nation’s venerable investment houses and magnified the panic that has since crippled the global financial system.'

"In other words: The absence of a regulation didn’t cause the crisis, but it may have exacerbated it."

Is Deregulation to Blame? - Reason Magazine

In some other words if government as it's existed for the last 5000 years isn't sufficiently competent to regulate Wall Street and Wall Street lacks the integrity for self-regulation, is it time for a wall of separation between private wealth and the state?

Joseph Stiglitz makes the point that Glass-Steagall worked well during that quarter-century after WWII when there was almost no financial or banking crises and a period of rapid economic growth combined with a reducing of the inequalities in US society.

Interviews - Joseph Stiglitz | The Warning | FRONTLINE | PBS
The question you asked was whether it represented a "narrow measure." That's why I bolded the portion I did.

Try responding to what I said, not what you wish I said.

"narrow
(figuratively) Restrictive; without flexibility or latitude..."

Repealing Glass-Steagall removed conflict of interest restraints "against simultaneous service by any officer, director, or employee of a securities firm as an officer, director or employee of any member bank."

Try responding to what I write if you expect the same consideration.

"narrow
(figuratively) Restrictive; without flexibility or latitude..."

Repealing Glass-Steagall removed conflict of interest restraints "against simultaneous service by any officer, director, or employee of a securities firm as an officer, director or employee of any member bank."

Try responding to what I write if you expect the same consideration.
Asked and answered.

I think we're done here. Thanks for playing.

Along with Hank Paulson, Alan Greenspan, Christopher Cox, and Phil Gramm. (You should go along with Phil since he's been elected as both a Democrat AND Republican during his time in "public service."

I'll go along with Hank Paulson, but I fail to see what the rest have done that qualifies as fraud. Passing legislation certainly doesn't qualify. So what do you plan to charge them with?

Forum List

Back