Waiting for Europa

And, as much as "why only once" are the many miraculous (for lack of a better word) events that got us here. The "why only once" doesnt just apply to the origin of life. Why did eukaryotes only develop once and what are the odds? Why chirality? Why ATP Synthase and why only once there? Why "wobble pairs" in the third codon?
It always seems as if life is driving towards something and though improbable filters. I would say "impossible" filters but obviously they happened....once.

There no reason to believe that alternative forms of organic molecules evolved in parallel with those what make up life today and being less suited to their evnironment and became evolutionary dead ends.

Well of course we have no other evidence. Yet. But we do have a pretty good grasp of how chemistry and biology work as they pertain to the creation of life. We're learning more every day.

But now I see where you're going with this. Science has nothing to do with it. You have an old book that tells you what's what.

No you dont see where I am going. Your own religion prevents that. You have been inculcated by a book yourself into a faith in the unprovable Mediocrity Principle and Drake Equation (with lots of help from science fiction writers). You see any questioning of these bedrock beliefs of yours as presenting an opposing religion/philosophy. Or at the very least you misunderstand my motives.

I can make it plainer. Either we discuss the science or we discuss the philosophical questions the science leads us to. But here and now I am only discussing science with no hidden "gotchas" waiting. There are philosophical implications to this but wanting to avoid these implications is no reason to deny plain facts is it?

But...sticking to science...there is no reason to believe in extraterrestrial life. Such a belief has no empirical basis. In fact quite the opposite. As you say we learn more every day and one of the most astounding discoveries recently is how quick life began on earth. It did not take billions of years. It didn't even take a billion years. It apparently didnt even take a half billion years. It may not have taken even 100 million years. And it only happened once (by evidence).

If you deny this you attack all settled science of biology and evolution because we base it all on common descent. That life originated once is so settled that there isn't even a competing theory to consider.

And Earth is in a place we *know* to be conducive to life. So why would you expect anything different on Europa?
I'm not denying or attacking anything.

I admit, I don't know. But I'm definitely curious.

You, on the other hand, think you have it all figured out.

I think you're being open minded about it, but for life elsewhere would be difficult. Maybe if life from Earth went elsewhere (panspermia). There is the possibility of colonization of humans, too.

The fine tuning facts would have to be overcome for life elsewhere. Those I've highlighted in green probably would apply for life on other planets. Re: #4. Earth's moon and Mars have no magnetic field. Thus, solar wind has come in and disrupted their atmosphere.

"Fine Tuning Parameters for the Universe
  1. strong nuclear force constant
    if larger: no hydrogen would form; atomic nuclei for most life-essential elements would be unstable; thus, no life chemistry
    if smaller: no elements heavier than hydrogen would form: again, no life chemistry
  2. weak nuclear force constant
    if larger: too much hydrogen would convert to helium in big bang; hence, stars would convert too much matter into heavy elements making life chemistry impossible
    if smaller: too little helium would be produced from big bang; hence, stars would convert too little matter into heavy elements making life chemistry impossible
  3. gravitational force constant
    if larger: stars would be too hot and would burn too rapidly and too unevenly for life chemistry
    if smaller
    : stars would be too cool to ignite nuclear fusion; thus, many of the elements needed for life chemistry would never form
  4. electromagnetic force constant
    if greater: chemical bonding would be disrupted; elements more massive than boron would be unstable to fission
    if lesser: chemical bonding would be insufficient for life chemistry
  5. ratio of electromagnetic force constant to gravitational force constant
    if larger: all stars would be at least 40% more massive than the sun; hence, stellar burning would be too brief and too uneven for life support
    if smaller
    : all stars would be at least 20% less massive than the sun, thus incapable of producing heavy elements
  6. ratio of electron to proton mass
    if larger: chemical bonding would be insufficient for life chemistry
    if smaller: same as above
  7. ratio of number of protons to number of electrons
    if larger: electromagnetism would dominate gravity, preventing galaxy, star, and planet formation
  8. expansion rate of the universe
    if larger: no galaxies would form
    if smaller
    : universe would collapse, even before stars formed
  9. entropy level of the universe
    if larger: stars would not form within proto-galaxies
    if smaller: no proto-galaxies would form
  10. mass density of the universe
    if larger: overabundance of deuterium from big bang would cause stars to burn rapidly, too rapidly for life to form
    if smaller: insufficient helium from big bang would result in a shortage of heavy elements
  11. velocity of light
    if faster: stars would be too luminous for life support if slower: stars would be insufficiently luminous for life support
  12. age of the universe
    if older: no solar-type stars in a stable burning phase would exist in the right (for life) part of the galaxy
    if younger: solar-type stars in a stable burning phase would not yet have formed
  13. initial uniformity of radiation
    if more uniform: stars, star clusters, and galaxies would not have formed
    if less uniform: universe by now would be mostly black holes and empty space
  14. average distance between galaxies
    if larger: star formation late enough in the history of the universe would be hampered by lack of material
    if smaller: gravitational tug-of-wars would destabilize the sun's orbit
  15. density of galaxy cluster
    if denser: galaxy collisions and mergers would disrupt the sun's orbit
    if less dense: star formation late enough in the history of the universe would be hampered by lack of material
  16. average distance between stars
    if larger: heavy element density would be too sparse for rocky planets to form
    if smaller
    : planetary orbits would be too unstable for life
  17. fine structure constant (describing the fine-structure splitting of spectral lines) if larger: all stars would be at least 30% less massive than the sun
    if larger than 0.06: matter would be unstable in large magnetic fields
    if smaller: all stars would be at least 80% more massive than the sun
  18. decay rate of protons
    if greater: life would be exterminated by the release of radiation
    if smaller: universe would contain insufficient matter for life
  19. 12C to 16O nuclear energy level ratio
    if larger: universe would contain insufficient oxygen for life
    if smaller: universe would contain insufficient carbon for life
  20. ground state energy level for 4He
    if larger: universe would contain insufficient carbon and oxygen for life
    if smaller
    : same as above
  21. decay rate of 8Be
    if slower: heavy element fusion would generate catastrophic explosions in all the stars
    if faster: no element heavier than beryllium would form; thus, no life chemistry
  22. ratio of neutron mass to proton mass
    if higher: neutron decay would yield too few neutrons for the formation of many life-essential elements
    if lower: neutron decay would produce so many neutrons as to collapse all stars into neutron stars or black holes
  23. initial excess of nucleons over anti-nucleons
    if greater: radiation would prohibit planet formation
    if lesser: matter would be insufficient for galaxy or star formation
  24. polarity of the water molecule
    if greater: heat of fusion and vaporization would be too high for life
    if smaller: heat of fusion and vaporization would be too low for life; liquid water would not work as a solvent for life chemistry; ice would not float, and a runaway freeze-up would result
  25. supernovae eruptions
    if too close, too frequent, or too late: radiation would exterminate life on the planet
    if too distant, too infrequent, or too soon: heavy elements would be too sparse for rocky planets to form
  26. white dwarf binaries
    if too few: insufficient fluorine would exist for life chemistry
    if too many: planetary orbits would be too unstable for life
    if formed too soon: insufficient fluorine production
    if formed too late: fluorine would arrive too late for life chemistry
  27. ratio of exotic matter mass to ordinary matter mass
    if larger: universe would collapse before solar-type stars could form
    if smaller: no galaxies would form
  28. number of effective dimensions in the early universe
    if larger: quantum mechanics, gravity, and relativity could not coexist; thus, life would be impossible
    if smaller: same result
  29. number of effective dimensions in the present universe
    if smaller: electron, planet, and star orbits would become unstable
    if larger
    : same result
  30. mass of the neutrino
    if smaller: galaxy clusters, galaxies, and stars would not form
    if larger: galaxy clusters and galaxies would be too dense
  31. big bang ripples
    if smaller: galaxies would not form; universe would expand too rapidly
    if larger: galaxies/galaxy clusters would be too dense for life; black holes would dominate; universe would collapse before life-site could form
  32. size of the relativistic dilation factor
    if smaller: certain life-essential chemical reactions will not function properly
    if larger
  33. uncertainty magnitude in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle
    if smaller: oxygen transport to body cells would be too small and certain life-essential elements would be unstable
    if larger: oxygen transport to body cells would be too great and certain life-essential elements would be unstable
  34. cosmological constant
    if larger: universe would expand too quickly to form solar-type stars"
I would think if we had to survive, then it's better to build space stations and live there for the time being until new technology could develop.

I don't know what you mean by "why only once".

There was one origin of life. A single unique event. I wonder why? And if only once in an environment we know is conducive to life then what does that say for the chances extraterrestially?

There was one origin of life. A single unique event. I wonder why? And if only once in an environment we know is conducive to life then what does that say for the chances extraterrestially?
I don't think that's a mystery. In our solar system there is a sweet spot in which water can remain liquid without boiling away or freezing, and as far as we know, water is one of the necessary ingredients of life. It looks like Mars had it. And it's possible that it could exist on Europa and/or Enceladus. It would exist under hundreds of miles of ice but kept warm by the cores of those moons. So, in our solar system, there could be life on two or three globes, and Mars may have had it a billion or two years ago.

Of course, that's just our solar system, and there are estimated 100 billion trillion other solar systems in the universe in which there could be sweet spots, in which there could be life.

We don't know. Nor can we.

Last edited:
There was one origin of life.

There is only one type of life that has survived to current day.

We don’t know about alternative forms of life that were cut short before they developed further.

The Miller -Urey experiment from the ‘50s has demonstrated unequivocally that organic molecules are relatively easy to create under a wide range of conditions.

225px-Europa-moon.jpg

"Slightly smaller than Earth's Moon, Europa is primarily made of silicate rock and has a water-ice crust[11] and probably an iron–nickel core. It has a tenuous atmosphere composed primarily of oxygen. Its surface is striated by cracks and streaks, whereas craters are relatively rare. In addition to Earth-bound telescope observations, Europa has been examined by a succession of space probe flybys, the first occurring in the early 1970s.

Europa has the smoothest surface of any known solid object in the Solar System.[12] The apparent youth and smoothness of the surface have led to the hypothesis that a water ocean exists beneath it, which could conceivably harbor extraterrestrial life.[13] The predominant model suggests that heat from tidal flexing causes the ocean to remain liquid and drives ice movement similar to plate tectonics, absorbing chemicals from the surface into the ocean below.[14][15] Sea salt from a subsurface ocean may be coating some geological features on Europa, suggesting that the ocean is interacting with the seafloor. This may be important in determining if Europa could be habitable.[16] In addition, the Hubble Space Telescope detected water vapor plumes similar to those observed on Saturn's moon Enceladus, which are thought to be caused by erupting cryogeysers.[17] In May 2018, astronomers provided supporting evidence of water plume activity on Europa, based on an updated critical analysis of data obtained from the Galileo space probe, which orbited Jupiter between 1995 to 2003. Such plume activity could help researchers in a search for life from the subsurface European ocean without having to land on the moon.[18][19][20][21]"

Europa (moon) - Wikipedia

In terms of what I think about life in the Universe, the odds could be construed in 2 different ways...

1 planet of 9 in our solar system has life, so a 1 per 9 chance, with the caveat that we're not 100% certain the other 9 don't have any.

& the odds that we're the ONLY life in the Universe, in terms of overall planets of possibility, is 1 in trillions.

Nobody making a career of gambling would bet that Earth is the only harbor-er of life in this Universe, it's statistically unsound.
Life evolved here based on what was available--water and oxygen/carbon dioxide, whatever else. In other solar systems "life" may be entirely different, like all the great Star Trek aliens. Probably a lot of them, being somewhat humanoid, are even too much like us. We humans are so egocentric. It cracks me up.
Virtually all the Startrek aliens are based on water and oxygen/carbon dioxide

We don't know that. We only know that the life that exists today all seems to come from one source. Perhaps other life did start, but was less successful, and became pushed out by the present life that exists. After all, there were some pretty serious extinction events in the early history of the earth.

In terms of what I think about life in the Universe, the odds could be construed in 2 different ways...

1 planet of 9 in our solar system has life, so a 1 per 9 chance, with the caveat that we're not 100% certain the other 9 don't have any.

& the odds that we're the ONLY life in the Universe, in terms of overall planets of possibility, is 1 in trillions.

Nobody making a career of gambling would bet that Earth is the only harbor-er of life in this Universe, it's statistically unsound.
Life evolved here based on what was available--water and oxygen/carbon dioxide, whatever else. In other solar systems "life" may be entirely different, like all the great Star Trek aliens. Probably a lot of them, being somewhat humanoid, are even too much like us. We humans are so egocentric. It cracks me up.
Virtually all the Startrek aliens are based on water and oxygen/carbon dioxide
LOL But Startrek is not reality.

Well of course we have no other evidence. Yet. But we do have a pretty good grasp of how chemistry and biology work as they pertain to the creation of life. We're learning more every day.

But now I see where you're going with this. Science has nothing to do with it. You have an old book that tells you what's what.

No you dont see where I am going. Your own religion prevents that. You have been inculcated by a book yourself into a faith in the unprovable Mediocrity Principle and Drake Equation (with lots of help from science fiction writers). You see any questioning of these bedrock beliefs of yours as presenting an opposing religion/philosophy. Or at the very least you misunderstand my motives.

I can make it plainer. Either we discuss the science or we discuss the philosophical questions the science leads us to. But here and now I am only discussing science with no hidden "gotchas" waiting. There are philosophical implications to this but wanting to avoid these implications is no reason to deny plain facts is it?

But...sticking to science...there is no reason to believe in extraterrestrial life. Such a belief has no empirical basis. In fact quite the opposite. As you say we learn more every day and one of the most astounding discoveries recently is how quick life began on earth. It did not take billions of years. It didn't even take a billion years. It apparently didnt even take a half billion years. It may not have taken even 100 million years. And it only happened once (by evidence).

If you deny this you attack all settled science of biology and evolution because we base it all on common descent. That life originated once is so settled that there isn't even a competing theory to consider.

And Earth is in a place we *know* to be conducive to life. So why would you expect anything different on Europa?

I think you're being open minded about it, but for life elsewhere would be difficult. Maybe if life from Earth went elsewhere (panspermia). There is the possibility of colonization of humans, too.

The fine tuning facts would have to be overcome for life elsewhere. Those I've highlighted in green probably would apply for life on other planets. Re: #4. Earth's moon and Mars have no magnetic field. Thus, solar wind has come in and disrupted their atmosphere.

if larger: no hydrogen would form; atomic nuclei for most life-essential elements would be unstable; thus, no life chemistry
    if smaller: no elements heavier than hydrogen would form: again, no life chemistry
    if larger: too much hydrogen would convert to helium in big bang; hence, stars would convert too much matter into heavy elements making life chemistry impossible
    if smaller: too little helium would be produced from big bang; hence, stars would convert too little matter into heavy elements making life chemistry impossible
    if larger: stars would be too hot and would burn too rapidly and too unevenly for life chemistry
    if smaller
    : stars would be too cool to ignite nuclear fusion; thus, many of the elements needed for life chemistry would never form
    if greater: chemical bonding would be disrupted; elements more massive than boron would be unstable to fission
    if larger: all stars would be at least 40% more massive than the sun; hence, stellar burning would be too brief and too uneven for life support
    if smaller
    : all stars would be at least 20% less massive than the sun, thus incapable of producing heavy elements
    if larger: electromagnetism would dominate gravity, preventing galaxy, star, and planet formation
    if smaller
    if larger: overabundance of deuterium from big bang would cause stars to burn rapidly, too rapidly for life to form
    if smaller: insufficient helium from big bang would result in a shortage of heavy elements
  11. velocity of light
    if faster: stars would be too luminous for life support if slower: stars would be insufficiently luminous for life support
  12. age of the universe
    if older: no solar-type stars in a stable burning phase would exist in the right (for life) part of the galaxy
    if younger: solar-type stars in a stable burning phase would not yet have formed
    if larger: star formation late enough in the history of the universe would be hampered by lack of material
    if less dense: star formation late enough in the history of the universe would be hampered by lack of material
    if smaller
  17. fine structure constant (describing the fine-structure splitting of spectral lines) if larger: all stars would be at least 30% less massive than the sun
    if smaller
  21. decay rate of 8Be
    if slower: heavy element fusion would generate catastrophic explosions in all the stars
    if faster: no element heavier than beryllium would form; thus, no life chemistry
    if higher: neutron decay would yield too few neutrons for the formation of many life-essential elements
    if lower: neutron decay would produce so many neutrons as to collapse all stars into neutron stars or black holes
    if smaller: heat of fusion and vaporization would be too low for life; liquid water would not work as a solvent for life chemistry; ice would not float, and a runaway freeze-up would result
  25. supernovae eruptions
    if too close, too frequent, or too late: radiation would exterminate life on the planet
    if too distant, too infrequent, or too soon: heavy elements would be too sparse for rocky planets to form
  26. white dwarf binaries
    if larger: quantum mechanics, gravity, and relativity could not coexist; thus, life would be impossible
    if larger
  30. mass of the neutrino
  31. big bang ripples
    if larger: galaxies/galaxy clusters would be too dense for life; black holes would dominate; universe would collapse before life-site could form
    if smaller: certain life-essential chemical reactions will not function properly
    if larger
    if smaller: oxygen transport to body cells would be too small and certain life-essential elements would be unstable
    if larger: oxygen transport to body cells would be too great and certain life-essential elements would be unstable
I would think if we had to survive, then it's better to build space stations and live there for the time being until new technology could develop.
LOL About 34 things that we really don't know about.

if smaller
    if smaller
    if smaller
  11. velocity of light
  12. age of the universe
    if smaller
    if smaller
  21. decay rate of 8Be
  25. supernovae eruptions
  26. white dwarf binaries
    if larger
  30. mass of the neutrino
  31. big bang ripples
    if larger

Those 34 are from the atheist scientists which they found when studying the BBT. And I suppose it's why they think there is more chance for multiverses because then the fine tuning facts won't get in the way. To me, that doesn't make much sense because God only created this universe and didn't create aliens.

Trying to bend science to match religious belief isn't going to work, because science happily admits there is much we don't know.

I'm sure it's nice to think you have The Answer to The Question this early on in our intellectual development. But that's just delusion.

There's a lot we just don't know. We just haven't advanced enough at this point. It's not a sign of weakness to admit that, it's just a fact.

To me, that doesn't make much sense because God only created this universe and didn't create aliens.
How do you know that?

The Bible, but let's look at it scientifically. There has been enough time for intelligent aliens to contact us, but they haven't according to SETI. And we have explored other planets with probes and haven't found any life. The intelligent aliens may not have contacted us because they are still probing us. According to Fermi paradox, there has been enough time elapsed, around 200,000 years for some kind of contact. As for other universes besides ours, there are physicists who believe there are and those who don't. The latter state that it is not a legitimate topic of scientific inquiry. The ones who believe, i.e. faith, have come up with various hypothetical types of universes and ways to detect, but nothing so far.

ETA: Here's one prominent physicists view, "In 2007, Nobel laureate Steven Weinberg suggested that if the multiverse existed, "the hope of finding a rational explanation for the precise values of quark masses and other constants of the standard model that we observe in our Big Bang is doomed, for their values would be an accident of the particular part of the multiverse in which we live."

In other words, the fine tuning parameters they discovered would be by coincidence and not as the standard model*.

Standard model explained here:
Physics: What We Do and Don’t Know

Last edited:

if smaller
    if smaller
    if smaller
  11. velocity of light
  12. age of the universe
    if smaller
    if smaller
  21. decay rate of 8Be
  25. supernovae eruptions
  26. white dwarf binaries
    if larger
  30. mass of the neutrino
  31. big bang ripples
    if larger

Those 34 are from the atheist scientists which they found when studying the BBT. And I suppose it's why they think there is more chance for multiverses because then the fine tuning facts won't get in the way. To me, that doesn't make much sense because God only created this universe and didn't create aliens.
God did not create aliens? And if there be a deity, you know this how?

Statistics? You want statistics?

In 1968, Professor Harold Morowitz, a physicist at Yale University, published the book "Energy Flow in Biology". Along with other physicists and mathematicians, he had become concerned about the casualness with which some scientists studying the origins of life were assuming that unlikely events must have occurred. These scientists were making assumptions without any attempt to rigorously investigate the probability of such events. Morowitz presented computations of the time required for random chemical reactions to form a bacterium -- not an organism as complex as a human being, not even a flower, just a simple, single celled bacterium. Basing his calculations on optimistically rapid rates of reactions, the calculated time for the bacterium to form exceeds not only the 4.5 billion year age of the Earth, but also the entire 15 billion year age of the universe.

What is even more astonishing, is that life appeared almost immediately on Earth. The oldest sedimentary rock dated is 3.3 billion years old which shows rod shaped single celled organisms with them, discovered by Elso Barghoorn and JW Schopf of Harvard.

And this is just what is found as evidence in the sedimentary rock. There is no reason life may not have developed earlier.

Proffessor Morowitz made an assumption that is unnecessary and too stringent. The first life does not have to be something with the complexity of a bacterium. It was found that RNA can replicate itself. It is simpler than DNA and more of a candidate for abiogenesis. Secondly primordial cell walls do not have to be the more complex cellulose, but can be formed from fatty acid bubbles which have been found to have the capability of splitting. Fatty acids are more easily formed in the primordial earth.

It is still statistically small, but think of the improbability as a poker game where everyone is dealt a royal flush. If there are billions of card games going on for millions of years, the improbability becomes an almost certainty.

Synthetic primordial cell copies RNA for the first time

Statistics? You want statistics?

In 1968, Professor Harold Morowitz, a physicist at Yale University, published the book "Energy Flow in Biology". Along with other physicists and mathematicians, he had become concerned about the casualness with which some scientists studying the origins of life were assuming that unlikely events must have occurred. These scientists were making assumptions without any attempt to rigorously investigate the probability of such events. Morowitz presented computations of the time required for random chemical reactions to form a bacterium -- not an organism as complex as a human being, not even a flower, just a simple, single celled bacterium. Basing his calculations on optimistically rapid rates of reactions, the calculated time for the bacterium to form exceeds not only the 4.5 billion year age of the Earth, but also the entire 15 billion year age of the universe.

What is even more astonishing, is that life appeared almost immediately on Earth. The oldest sedimentary rock dated is 3.3 billion years old which shows rod shaped single celled organisms with them, discovered by Elso Barghoorn and JW Schopf of Harvard.

And this is just what is found as evidence in the sedimentary rock. There is no reason life may not have developed earlier.

Proffessor Morowitz made an assumption that is unnecessary and too stringent. The first life does not have to be something with the complexity of a bacterium. It was found that RNA can replicate itself. It is simpler than DNA and more of a candidate for abiogenesis. Secondly primordial cell walls do not have to be the more complex cellulose, but can be formed from fatty acid bubbles which have been found to have the capability of splitting. Fatty acids are more easily formed in the primordial earth.

It is still statistically small, but think of the improbability as a poker game where everyone is dealt a royal flush. If there are billions of card games going on for millions of years, the improbability becomes an almost certainty.

Synthetic primordial cell copies RNA for the first time

This is not creation. One needs a cell in order to create the RNA. One needs a cell to create an amino acid or protein. Humans can only create up to the molecular level. Not the atomic level. Only God can do that.

Forum List

Back