Waiting for Europa

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Europa's plumes make Jupiter moon a prime candidate for life

This article says a mission to Europa could happen as soon as June 2022. The mission would fly through the plumes that shoot out from its (believed) under-ice oceans for specific analysis, looking for any signs of microbial life.

Badass. If there is any kind of life there, it's over - life is everywhere in the universe.

I GOTTA WAIT FOUR-PLUS YEARS. GAH.

This article says a mission to Europa could happen as soon as June 2022. The mission would fly through the plumes that shoot out from its (believed) under-ice oceans for specific analysis, looking for any signs of microbial life.

Badass. If there is any kind of life there, it's over - life is everywhere in the universe.

What's over?

What's over?
Doubt that life is everywhere in the universe.

No?

Microbial life, is probably anywhere that has water.....imo.

Human life, or intelligent alien....chances are slimmer.... not impossible, but less possible than microbial life.

What's over?

No?

We don't know how rare life is.

If life was just merely a combination of chemistry, water and temperature then we would be able able to create life in a lab but we haven't been able to do it.

There is a possibility that life is unique to earth. The universe may be hostile to life including Europa.

Advance life may be very rare.

Since we don't have any facts that life exist outside of earth then all we have are guesses at this time.

My guess.is that there is the possibility that low level cellar life may exist elsewhere. However, advanced life may be unique to earth.

A very good book to read is "Rare Earth: Why Complex Life Is Uncommon in the Universe" by Ward and Brownlee. It explores the fact that advanced live on earth was helped along by some very happenstance events that may or may not exist elsewhere.

Rare Earth (book) - Wikipedia

Rare Earth (book)

The book argues that the universe is fundamentally hostile to complex life and that while microbial life may be common in the universe, complex intelligent life (like the evolution of biological complexity from simple life on Earth) required an exceptionally unlikely set of circumstances, and therefore complex life is likely to be extremely rare. The book argues that among the essential criteria for life are a terrestrial planet with plate tectonics and oxygen, a large moon, magnetic field, a gas giant like Jupiter for protection and an orbit in the habitable zone of the right kind of star.

What's over?

No?

We don't know how rare life is.

If life was just merely a combination of chemistry, water and temperature then we would be able able to create life in a lab but we haven't been able to do it.

There is a possibility that life is unique to earth. The universe may be hostile to life including Europa.

Advance life may be very rare.

Since we don't have any facts that life exist outside of earth then all we have are guesses at this time.

My guess.is that there is the possibility that low level cellar life may exist elsewhere. However, advanced life may be unique to earth.

A very good book to read is "Rare Earth: Why Complex Life Is Uncommon in the Universe" by Ward and Brownlee. It explores the fact that advanced live on earth was helped along by some very happenstance events that may or may not exist elsewhere.

Rare Earth (book) - Wikipedia

Rare Earth (book)

The book argues that the universe is fundamentally hostile to complex life and that while microbial life may be common in the universe, complex intelligent life (like the evolution of biological complexity from simple life on Earth) required an exceptionally unlikely set of circumstances, and therefore complex life is likely to be extremely rare. The book argues that among the essential criteria for life are a terrestrial planet with plate tectonics and oxygen, a large moon, magnetic field, a gas giant like Jupiter for protection and an orbit in the habitable zone of the right kind of star.
The neat thing is, we just don't know.

There are an estimated one billion trillion stars in the observable universe. Plus, over the 13 billion years or so of its existence, it's possible that the universe has seen many advanced civilizations come and go. And, of course, it's also possible that there are countless universes.

With those facts in hand, I have no doubt there's a lot going on out there. But that's just me.

Man, unless we have some new secret propulsion system that is not Dependant on coasting, that would be a dangerous as hell trip, far and above the usual dangers of space travel, and take a super long time. Anything could fail and make them lost.

Man, unless we have some new secret propulsion system that is not Dependant on coasting, that would be a dangerous as hell trip, far and above the usual dangers of space travel, and take a super long time. Anything could fail and make them lost.
Well, we already have hopeful evidence from the old Galileo mission (This May Be the Best Evidence Yet of a Water Plume on Jupiter's Moon Europa) and more recently the Cassini probe flew through plumes from neighboring Enceladus.

Both of those were just fly-bys within larger missions. If the 2022 mission is specific to studying Europa, we could end up with some pretty cool stuff.

[Q

There are an estimated one billion trillion stars in the observable universe. Plus, over the 13 billion years or so of its existence, it's possible that the universe has seen many advanced civilizations come and go. And, of course, it's also possible that there are countless universes.

With those facts in hand, I have no doubt there's a lot going on out there. But that's just me.

Statistics doesn't produce life.

If the universe is finite then there are unique things in the universe. Life or advanced life may be unique to earth.

Actually the universe is a very hostile place to life. Earth is protected from that hostility by some happenstance circumstances that may or may not exist elsewhere. It may be that there are untold trillions of other planets out there and they are all sterile like we see in our solar system outside of earth.

We have been brainwashed by 100 years of science fiction to think that there is alien life but it has yet to be confirmed and may never will be.

So far we only know of life here and I suspect we will die out as a species before we find it elsewhere.

Well, we already have hopeful evidence from the old Galileo mission (This May Be the Best Evidence Yet of a Water Plume on Jupiter's Moon Europa) and more recently the Cassini probe flew through plumes from neighboring Enceladus.

Both of those were just fly-bys within larger missions. If the 2022 mission is specific to studying Europa, we could end up with some pretty cool stuff.
Ok, I thought it was talking about a manned mission.

[Q

Statistics doesn't produce life.

If the universe is finite then there are unique things in the universe. Life or advanced life may be unique to earth.

Actually the universe is a very hostile place to life. Earth is protected from that hostility by some happenstance circumstances that may or may not exist elsewhere. It may be that there are untold trillions of other planets out there and they are all sterile like we see in our solar system outside of earth.

We have been brainwashed by 100 years of science fiction to think that there is alien life but it has yet to be confirmed and may never will be.

So far we only know of life here and I suspect we will die out as a species before we find it elsewhere.
Well, I'm much more hopeful. That's the beauty of science - we get to admit there's much to learn.

Ok, I thought it was talking about a manned mission.
No, that's a long way off. But just getting some positive data would be great.

[QUOT

Well, I'm much more hopeful. That's the beauty of science - we get to admit there's much to learn.

You are correct of course.

There may another earth like planet somewhere in this universe. There may be more than one.

I doubt we will ever we able to visit them.

If we could produce life in a lab from the primordial compounds that existed when the earth was developing then I would feel much more confident that life existed elsewhere.

If we found life on Europa that would certainly be game changer, wouldn't it?

[QU

Correct. We are not going "star trekking around the universe" with chemical energy, which is what we are using now.

There are theoretical other propulsion possibilities but we haven't engineered them yet.

What's over?

No?

As vast as the universe appears to be? I'd bet there's some sort of globs of protein slithering on the surface of some rocks all over the place.

Sentient life elsewhere? Even if there was some, the distance is so vast that even communication with the closest known planets that might possibly support life would take longer to be received than the sender would live.

I don't see much point in trying to find intergalactic sludge.

I think the collective human endeavor to explore space should be focused on colonizing planets further out in the solar system before the sun expands into a red giant and vaporizes Jupiter.

It seems to me God wants to keep us contained here though. You never know though, we might escape like monkeys out of the zoo.

If we could produce life in a lab from the primordial compounds that existed when the earth was developing then I would feel much more confident that life existed elsewhere
That's kind of silly, though. Even if we were to do this, we would not know with any certainty that our method was identical or even similar to the chain of events leading to life on Earth.

Just the fact that life is a physical system in a deterministic universe is enough to know that life can form. And knowing it can form tells us that it is highly likely it has formed at least once elsewhere in the universe.

If we could produce life in a lab from the primordial compounds that existed when the earth was developing then I would feel much more confident that life existed elsewhere
That's kind of silly, though. Even if we were to do this, we would not know with any certainty that our method was identical or even similar to the chain of events leading to life on Earth.

Just the fact that life is a physical system in a deterministic universe is enough to know that life can form. And knowing it can form tells us that it is highly likely it has formed at least once elsewhere in the universe.

That is true but right now we have nothing. Creating primordial life in a lab would at least give us something to work with.

What do you base the assumption that life formed elsewhere on? What proof do you have? We only know of life on earth. We only have one data point. We don't know if it is common, rare or unique.

Until we get another data point all we can do is speculate. It is presumptuous to speculate on statistical probabilities when you only have one data point, isn't it?

By the way, our eagerness to speculate on life in the universe is distorted by 100 years of science fiction brainwashing. I mean how can there not be gorgeous green women from Orion when we saw Captain Kirk screw one in a movie?

sergio1.jpg

Thanks, Obama

He was too busy orienting all our satellites to point to Mecca 5 times a day

Forum List

Back