Waiting for Europa

If we could produce life in a lab from the primordial compounds that existed when the earth was developing then I would feel much more confident that life existed elsewhere
That's kind of silly, though. Even if we were to do this, we would not know with any certainty that our method was identical or even similar to the chain of events leading to life on Earth.

Just the fact that life is a physical system in a deterministic universe is enough to know that life can form. And knowing it can form tells us that it is highly likely it has formed at least once elsewhere in the universe.

Well then you'd know our Theory of evolution was BS

Europa's plumes make Jupiter moon a prime candidate for life

This article says a mission to Europa could happen as soon as June 2022. The mission would fly through the plumes that shoot out from its (believed) under-ice oceans for specific analysis, looking for any signs of microbial life.

Badass. If there is any kind of life there, it's over - life is everywhere in the universe.

I GOTTA WAIT FOUR-PLUS YEARS. GAH.

Thanks, Obama

He was too busy orienting all our satellites to point to Mecca 5 times a day

Instead of spending billions on science Obama was too busy putting the money in barrels and shipping it off to the Iranians.

Instead of using NASA for real space research Obama was too busy having them produce fake data to support the silly AGW scam.

This article says a mission to Europa could happen as soon as June 2022. The mission would fly through the plumes that shoot out from its (believed) under-ice oceans for specific analysis, looking for any signs of microbial life.

Badass. If there is any kind of life there, it's over - life is everywhere in the universe.

Did you apply logic to your assertion?

If 1 planet of trillions has life, it's not "over, and life is everywhere in the Universe...."

But if 2 planets of trillions have life, then it IS "over, and life is everywhere in the Universe?"

Why do folks with the reasoning skills of a doorknob come onto debate sites, anyhow?

If 1 planet of trillions has life, it's not "over, and life is everywhere in the Universe...."

But if 2 planets have life, then it IS "over, and life is everywhere in the Universe?"

Why do folks with the reasoning skills of a doorknob come onto debate sites, anyhow?
Not all of us are as smart as you, GT.

I'm so sorry. Please take mercy. Thank you.

But if 2 planets have life, then it IS "over, and life is everywhere in the Universe?"

It's my pet peeve, inefficiency. You waste so much discussion time asserting meaningless minutia based on...poor reasoning skills. They should require critical thinking in grade school, imo

It doesn't even take smarts, it's basic shit.

It's my pet peeve, inefficiency. You waste so much discussion time asserting meaningless minutia based on...poor reasoning skills. They should require critical thinking in grade school, imo

Well, I'll certainly endeavor to be more efficient in the future to live up to your high standards.

Thank you so much for the guidance, and for the ongoing example of efficiency you set for all of us, nary a wasted word or post.

Well, I'll certainly endeavor to be more efficient in the future to live up to your high standards.

Thank you so much for the guidance, and for the ongoing example of efficiency you set for all of us, nary a wasted word or post.
It's much appreciated. You're at least not as egregious in your terrible cognition as folks like politicalchic, who post 6, 465 links from propaganda sites per post.

In terms of what I think about life in the Universe, the odds could be construed in 2 different ways...

1 planet of 9 in our solar system has life, so a 1 per 9 chance, with the caveat that we're not 100% certain the other 9 don't have any.

& the odds that we're the ONLY life in the Universe, in terms of overall planets of possibility, is 1 in trillions.

Nobody making a career of gambling would bet that Earth is the only harbor-er of life in this Universe, it's statistically unsound.

In terms of what I think about life in the Universe, the odds could be construed in 2 different ways...

1 planet of 9 in our solar system has life, so a 1 per 9 chance, with the caveat that we're not 100% certain the other 9 don't have any.

& the odds that we're the ONLY life in the Universe, in terms of overall planets of possibility, is 1 in trillions.

Nobody making a career of gambling would bet that Earth is the only harbor-er of life in this Universe, it's statistically unsound.
Life evolved here based on what was available--water and oxygen/carbon dioxide, whatever else. In other solar systems "life" may be entirely different, like all the great Star Trek aliens. Probably a lot of them, being somewhat humanoid, are even too much like us. We humans are so egocentric. It cracks me up.

Life evolved here based on what was available--water and oxygen/carbon dioxide, whatever else. In other solar systems "life" may be entirely different, like all the great Star Trek aliens. Probably a lot of them, being somewhat humanoid, are even too much like us. We humans are so egocentric. It cracks me up.
I'll bet you speak Clingon in your underwear :p:p

I'll bet you speak Clingon in your underwear :p:p
upload_2018-5-16_14-44-15.png

There is no life anywhere but here. And that, by all scientific evidence, created only one time.
Love the flyby though. We should eliminate social security, Medicaid, food stamps, welfare and housing assistance and use the money to concentrate on missions like this to better the human race.

There is no life anywhere but here. And that, by all scientific evidence, created only one time.
Love the flyby though. We should eliminate social security, Medicaid, food stamps, welfare and housing assistance and use the money to concentrate on missions like this to better the human race.
What makes you think that there is no life anywhere but here?

[Q

The neat thing is, we just don't know.

There are an estimated one billion trillion stars in the observable universe. Plus, over the 13 billion years or so of its existence, it's possible that the universe has seen many advanced civilizations come and go. And, of course, it's also possible that there are countless universes.

With those facts in hand, I have no doubt there's a lot going on out there. But that's just me.

Statistics doesn't produce life.

If the universe is finite then there are unique things in the universe. Life or advanced life may be unique to earth.

Actually the universe is a very hostile place to life. Earth is protected from that hostility by some happenstance circumstances that may or may not exist elsewhere. It may be that there are untold trillions of other planets out there and they are all sterile like we see in our solar system outside of earth.

We have been brainwashed by 100 years of science fiction to think that there is alien life but it has yet to be confirmed and may never will be.

So far we only know of life here and I suspect we will die out as a species before we find it elsewhere.

And brainwashed by the Marxist philosophy of the Mediocrity Principle.
Mediocrity principle - Wikipedia

I’ve got my reasons. Not the least being the Fermi Paradox. Science, as well, is on my side on this. Try this recent thread.
The Origin of Life

Doesn’t mean I disagree with searching for life though. If science fiction fantasies drive us outward into the universe I’m all for it.

Science is desperate to find life elsewhere, because the questions are just too troubling for them if there is none.

That is true but right now we have nothing. Creating primordial life in a lab would at least give us something to work with.
But in no way would that inform us on the prevalence of life in the universe.

The proof I have is all circumstantial:

We know abiogenesis occurred at least once in the universe. The odds that it would occur exactly once would be much lower than the odds that it occurred twice or more.

It's a strong argument. Can you think of a better one?

If we could produce life in a lab from the primordial compounds that existed when the earth was developing then I would feel much more confident that life existed elsewhere
That's kind of silly, though. Even if we were to do this, we would not know with any certainty that our method was identical or even similar to the chain of events leading to life on Earth.

Just the fact that life is a physical system in a deterministic universe is enough to know that life can form. And knowing it can form tells us that it is highly likely it has formed at least once elsewhere in the universe.

Well then you'd know our Theory of evolution was BS
Don't post to me about any science topic ever,dummy

Forum List

Back