Voting for 'Trump' because 'Duck' isn't an option?

Do you think many people support "Trump" because "Duck" isn't an option?

• Total voters

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I was having an interesting conversation this evening and it was mentioned that someone thought the reason a lot of people were saying they planned to vote for Donald Trump is because Donald Duck isn't an option. In other words, it's kind of a "protest vote" of sorts... Politics have simply become such a joke that you may as well vote for someone like Trump, just to demonstrate the absurdity and spectacle.

I had never really considered this. I hear people passionately telling me why they support Trump and I can't really fault them for their arguments. I also hear people bashing and railing on Trump like he is the Anti-Christ or something. Other conservatives tell me that Trump isn't their first choice but they would vote for him over Hillary.... but the proposal intrigued me so I thought I would bring the question here to the all-knowing brain trust of USMB.

Is there any merit to this argument that people are supporting Trump in protest and it's akin to voting for Donald Duck?

lee-lorenz-i-remember-when-i-was-the-donald-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

Isn't this great?! Boss asks a question as though he really wants the answer. This question has been discussed on these pages at length....and Boss has already read what everyone here thinks on the matter. But....the drive to post something......anything.....is strong in some.

No. The support that Trump has received prior to votes being cast is not a form of protest. It is simply a sign of weakness. Weak people are attracted to tough talk. Weak people admire those who never admit a fault. Weak people will cheer when they are told......over and over.....that their world is crashing down around them......because of "them".

Now....lets be clear. Trump is playing to the weak in order to win his current race. Should he win that nomination, you will see him walk back much of his most incendiary rhetoric in an attempt to convince people who have a little more backbone that he's a viable option. There are greater numbers of these people in this nation. Those who are currently his greatest cheerleaders will become his most vocal critics.....and he won't give a shit. That, my friend, will be more fun than watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Last edited:
I was having an interesting conversation this evening and it was mentioned that someone thought the reason a lot of people were saying they planned to vote for Donald Trump is because Donald Duck isn't an option. In other words, it's kind of a "protest vote" of sorts... Politics have simply become such a joke that you may as well vote for someone like Trump, just to demonstrate the absurdity and spectacle.

I had never really considered this. I hear people passionately telling me why they support Trump and I can't really fault them for their arguments. I also hear people bashing and railing on Trump like he is the Anti-Christ or something. Other conservatives tell me that Trump isn't their first choice but they would vote for him over Hillary.... but the proposal intrigued me so I thought I would bring the question here to the all-knowing brain trust of USMB.

Is there any merit to this argument that people are supporting Trump in protest and it's akin to voting for Donald Duck?

how stupid do you have to be to vote for someone just because you think he pisses people off?

dumbass right-wingers. :cuckoo:

Nobody has voted for anyone yet. Ask again after we know if Trump is coming out as a winner or a disappointing loser...

Trump's fortunes rise or fall on how damaged his brand is (or isn't) after Iowa. If holes are poked in his perceived invincibility and ability to call others losers based solely on the fact that he has yet to lose politically, you'll see an emboldened group of candidates that will feel free to take pot shots at Donalad. It's like the neighborhood bully who finally gets beaten up.

how stupid do you have to be to vote for someone just because you think he pisses people off?

That's not really the argument but I actually think a LOT of people voted for Barack Obama because he pissed off the right... and for that reason alone.

Again... in elections past, Donald Duck has had write-in votes as well as a host of other non-real and real spoof candidates. I remember Pat Paulsen running for president. There is always a contingent of disgruntled voters who are just fed up with BOTH parties and voice their disgust by casting such a vote.... The argument is, do you think that might be the case with Trump? Is his support kind of a "protest" thing against politics as usual? I think, given his anti-establishment message and rhetoric, that could be possible.

It's not that anyone is trying to piss you off by not supporting your queen-apparent, Hillary. It's more that people are simply done with Republicans AND Democrats and they see Trump as a way to voice their disdain with politics as usual.

BTW... The person I happened to be talking to was a moderate liberal who usually votes Democrat. He can't stand Hillary or Bernie. He said, the Republicans can't make up their minds what a Republican is and the Democrats have gone bat-shit crazy... so why not elect a joke of a president and have 4 years of prime entertainment value watching Congress have to deal with the asshole? If nothing else, SNL will be interesting again!

Hey... don't shoot me, I am only the messenger here!

That's not really the argument but I actually think a LOT of people voted for Barack Obama because he pissed off the right... and for that reason alone.

Again... in elections past, Donald Duck has had write-in votes as well as a host of other non-real and real spoof candidates. I remember Pat Paulsen running for president. There is always a contingent of disgruntled voters who are just fed up with BOTH parties and voice their disgust by casting such a vote.... The argument is, do you think that might be the case with Trump? Is his support kind of a "protest" thing against politics as usual? I think, given his anti-establishment message and rhetoric, that could be possible.

It's not that anyone is trying to piss you off by not supporting your queen-apparent, Hillary. It's more that people are simply done with Republicans AND Democrats and they see Trump as a way to voice their disdain with politics as usual.

BTW... The person I happened to be talking to was a moderate liberal who usually votes Democrat. He can't stand Hillary or Bernie. He said, the Republicans can't make up their minds what a Republican is and the Democrats have gone bat-shit crazy... so why not elect a joke of a president and have 4 years of prime entertainment value watching Congress have to deal with the asshole? If nothing else, SNL will be interesting again!

Hey... don't shoot me, I am only the messenger here!

i can promise you that no one voted for the president because he pissed off the right.

the truth is none of his views were that unusual. he's actually far more moderate on many issues than the left would like. the right's being pissed off was the result of years of their pols telling them they'd change things like roe v wade, etc., when they knew they couldn't do those things. ultimately, the GOP is about 47% of the electorate. dems are about 52% and are made up of a much more diverse constituency. that little bit of the GOP that is the "base" doesn't have the weight or numbers to elect a president and won't since the only candidates they find acceptable are the ones who 52% of the country would never vote for.

don't you think that's silly?

*edit*

and just to add, everyone has their priority issue. for me it's who is appointing judges to the federal bench because the court rulings affect everything else.

to me, if your priority issue is hatred of gays or mexicans or muslims, you're focused on they wrong things.

In other words, it's kind of a "protest vote" of sorts... Politics have simply become such a joke that you may as well vote for someone like Trump, just to demonstrate the absurdity and spectacle.
My guess is that this is exactly what's going on. It might explain why so many conservatives are so passionate in their defense of a guy who would be called a RINO if he were not so bombastic and, uh, ridiculous.

And it's a great example of the dangers of binary thinking and echo chambers. This guy is a testosterone-infused, turbo-charged version of Sarah Palin. They say things that would cause any reasonable person to shake their head, but because it's so ridiculous, that's somehow a good thing now.

No one is more cynical about professional politicians than I am, but this has become absurd. No one is more anti-PC than I am, but celebrating the fact that you're annoying people by purposely saying abrasive things is not the point.

Life simply isn't either/or.

As wildly entertaining as this campaign season has been, at its foundation, it's troubling, too.

Last edited:
Isn't this great?! Boss asks a question as though he really wants the answer. This question has been discussed on these pages at length....and Boss has already read what everyone here thinks on the matter. But....the drive to post something......anything.....is strong in some.

No. The support that Trump has received prior to votes being cast is not a form of protest. It is simply a sign of weakness. Weak people are attracted to tough talk. Weak people admire those who never admit a fault. Weak people will cheer when they are told......over and over.....that their world is crashing down around them......because of "them".

Now....lets be clear. Trump is playing to the weak in order to win his current race. Should he win that nomination, you will see him walk back much of his most incendiary rhetoric in an attempt to convince people who have a little more backbone that he's a viable option. There are greater numbers of these people in this nation. Those who are currently his greatest cheerleaders will become his most vocal critics.....and he won't give a shit. That, my friend, will be more fun than watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Are you ever going to stop being a major dick splash? Stop making these wild ass political predictions like you're Charles Fucking Krauthammer. If supporting Trump is a sign of weakness, you and most of your little miscreant band of buddies would be sucking his cock. You're going to vote for Bernie the Commie in the primaries and the Hildabeast in the general... it's already been decided. Now go back to your cartoons and leave this conversation for the grown ups.

i can promise you that no one voted for the president because he pissed off the right.

And I think you're full of shit because he wasn't qualified and we knew virtually nothing about him... still don't... doesn't matter... he had a Muslim name and was a black man, that was enough.... He was your "gettin' even" for Dubya, and I think everyone knows that.

And I think you're full of shit because he wasn't qualified and we knew virtually nothing about him... still don't... doesn't matter... he had a Muslim name and was a black man, that was enough.... He was your "gettin' even" for Dubya, and I think everyone knows that.

How wasn't he qualified? There was plenty about him out there. Yeah, all those Dems loved the Arabic middle name (something the right is always keen to bring up and the left never do), and the alternative was Hillary.

Nothing to do with getting even with Dumbya. When it comes to intellect and being the right person for the job, Dumbya isn't even qualified to polish Obama's shoes. And that ain't saying much because Obama has been an average president at best.

The biggest problem with the right - and it's been this way since Raygun IMO - is that you focus too much on what the other team is doing and not enough on what you're doing. And on the odd occasion you do focus on your own agenda it's aimed at fat, rich, old white men and dumbarse white trash. And those two constituencies are declining every election cycle.

see, this is why i laugh when right-wingers demand that you're polite to them.

as for qualified... .he was ok. wouldn't have been my first choice. but i sure wasn't voting for anyone who thinks personhood laws are ok.

maybe when you rescue your party from the theocrats and teatards.

Sorry, but even messiah Obama had to claim he was Christian to get elected in this country. Maybe you should move to Denmark where you can be near people of your own kind?

Sorry, but even messiah Obama had to claim he was Christian to get elected in this country. Maybe you should move to Denmark where you can be near people of your own kind?

in using the word "messiah" you show how ignorant you are about the way others think. no one viewed him as a "savior". he's an okay president. he's just better than anything you offered.

can't you just acknowledge that rightwingnut views aren't mainstream?

and after baby bush screwed things up so badly, did you really think we'd vote for the same policies. (and don't say the you don't support his policies... the GOP is still a bunch of neocons, trickle down failures and theocrats).

normal people don't vote for those issues.

and frankly, until your party figures out that we don't vote out of spite like you do, you're going to lose national elections.

old white christian males are not the only ones who vote.

and you will never get enough old white, christian males to elect a president until you figure that out.

Disregarding all the Liberal Hack replies and responding to the thread.

All of the above. I don't trust Trump but will vote for him in the General Election. Some of the 1st 3 answers to the poll fits the bill.

BTW... The person I happened to be talking to was a moderate liberal who usually votes Democrat. He can't stand Hillary or Bernie. He said, the Republicans can't make up their minds what a Republican is and the Democrats have gone bat-shit crazy
I call BULLSHIT!

Bossy has anointed himself to speak for everyone on Earth and no one can disagree with him because he reads all minds. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back