Vote 3rd Party

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
Hello all,

I am a moderate conservative who has in the past supported the Republican party. When I was younger I was more liberal and voted for Clinton both times.

Today I have finally seen the light. The answer to Americas problems. This answer can not come from Either major party. Neither a Dem or Rep can bring the real reform and change we need.

Now I know we all have been told to think a vote for a 3rd party is a wasted vote. That it just muddies the waters and helps one of the 2 big parties win. I have in the past believed this and never voted 3rd party.

However I now believe that voting 3rd party is the only way to real change. Keep in mind here, the 3rd party does not need to win the election. What they need to do is have a very strong showing in the election. Say 20 to 25% of the vote.

This will cause many things to happen. First in the next election said 3rd party would have a much better chance. Access to funding, access to debates and ballots.

Also it will force the big 2 parties, to address the reasons why people left their party to go 3rd party. For instance in a bunch of conservatives decide to vote libertarian this time. It should help Push the Republicans to do something to bring Conservatives back to the party.

I for one believe Both Major parties have lost their way, and do not reflect the values of their constituents.

So I will be casting my vote down the line for the Libertarian party. Not because I agree with most of what they say, or even a lot of it, but because we need to break this cabal of power sharing by Both are inept political parties. We need more choice and more parties.

The only way that will ever happen, is if we vote for them!

CHarles

Hello all,

I am a moderate conservative who has in the past supported the Republican party. When I was younger I was more liberal and voted for Clinton both times.

Today I have finally seen the light. The answer to Americas problems. This answer can not come from Either major party. Neither a Dem or Rep can bring the real reform and change we need.

Now I know we all have been told to think a vote for a 3rd party is a wasted vote. That it just muddies the waters and helps one of the 2 big parties win. I have in the past believed this and never voted 3rd party.

However I now believe that voting 3rd party is the only way to real change. Keep in mind here, the 3rd party does not need to win the election. What they need to do is have a very strong showing in the election. Say 20 to 25% of the vote.

This will cause many things to happen. First in the next election said 3rd party would have a much better chance. Access to funding, access to debates and ballots.

Also it will force the big 2 parties, to address the reasons why people left their party to go 3rd party. For instance in a bunch of conservatives decide to vote libertarian this time. It should help Push the Republicans to do something to bring Conservatives back to the party.

I for one believe Both Major parties have lost their way, and do not reflect the values of their constituents.

So I will be casting my vote down the line for the Libertarian party. Not because I agree with most of what they say, or even a lot of it, but because we need to break this cabal of power sharing by Both are inept political parties. We need more choice and more parties.

CHarles

Voting 3rd party is throwing a vote down the shitter. What are you going to change?

Just suppose by some miracle of miracles, a 3rd party candidate was to actually win the Presidency. He'd be a lame duck. You think Democrats and Republicans can't get bipartisan? Threaten their status quo of monopolizing the political power in this country.

The place to begin developing third party candidates is at the local level.

Right now the INSIDERS' PARTY (read the elite of both parties in STATE and FEDERAL levels) own the administrative mechanisms that prevent third parties from becoming viable.

The Green Party, as one example, has a difficult time even getting on ballots in Maine.

When they've gotten less than the threshold of 5% of the popular vote, one cannot even register as being in that Party since the state doesn't recognize it.

Voting 3rd party is throwing a vote down the shitter. What are you going to change?

i believe that is the mindset the OP is wanting to change.

we do need a strong 3rd party in this country, but i would prefer a centrist one to the libertarian

GunnyL wrote:
----------------------------------------------
Voting 3rd party is throwing a vote down the shitter.

Voting for the Demolicans "is throwing a vote down the shitter."

The place to begin developing third party candidates is at the local level.

Right now the INSIDERS' PARTY (read the elite of both parties in STATE and FEDERAL levels) own the administrative mechanisms that prevent third parties from becoming viable.

The Green Party, as one example, has a difficult time even getting on ballots in Maine.

When they've gotten less than the threshold of 5% of the popular vote, one cannot even register as being in that Party since the state doesn't recognize it.
less than 5% of the vote? what kind of a party is that?

name the administrative mechanism and why you disagree with them. should any nitwit get onto ballots with a party name? imagine if 500,000 people decided they were each a party wanting to be on the ballot?

how can the state not recognize a party? all a party has to do is register as a nonprofit or something like that, no?

GunnyL wrote:

grow up you little turd

CHarles
doing what you say only strengthens the hold of the Dems and Reps.

you would never get enough people to vote in enough numbers to change things unless you have a message and a platform. what's your message...'the other guys sucks, let me blow you?"

GunnyL wrote:

I, then, wrote:

AtlasShrieked:
let me blow you

I don't think so...

doing what you say only strengthens the hold of the Dems and Reps.

you would never get enough people to vote in enough numbers to change things unless you have a message and a platform. what's your message...'the other guys sucks, let me blow you?"

As long as people keep thinking the way you do, Nothing will ever change.

I suggest some of you read my post again. I am advocating what I am, not because I want a 3rd party to win, but because I wish to pressure the current parties to make changes to bring back dejected voters to the fold.

CHarlse

As long as people keep thinking the way you do, Nothing will ever change.

I suggest some of you read my post again. I am advocating what I am, not because I want a 3rd party to win, but because I wish to pressure the current parties to make changes to bring back dejected voters to the fold.

CHarlse

Actually, what he is saying makes perfect sense. The best showing i have seen was Ross Perot, and what did he accomplish? He took the moderate vote; which, hurt the GOP worse than the Democrats.

IIRC, if Nader hadn't stuck his name on the ballot in 2000, it might have been the difference in who won that election.

I don't disagree with you from an idealistic standpoint. Both the GOP and Democrats suck and a third party -- preferably one that actually recongnized the Constitution instead of figuring out ways to legislate around it -- would be a refreshing change.

From a reality standpoint, all 3rd parties accomplish is to take votes away from one or the other; thus, actually helping one or the other but offerin gno real threat of a win on their own.

l_e04d536d4e38a917c831a9ca214ef888.jpg

Just suppose by some miracle of miracles, a 3rd party candidate was to actually win the Presidency. He'd be a lame duck. You think Democrats and Republicans can't get bipartisan? Threaten their status quo of monopolizing the political power in this country.

Gunny, simply recognizing that we are powerless against the system and doing nothing to try and change it, is defeatist. Since when do Marines quit?

By saying there's nothing we can do, we give away our country to tyranny. At what point do we finally do something? When we no longer have the bill of rights PROPERLY protecting us? Because it's getting there, you HAVE to notice it. How can you not? The mere fact that we are afraid of terrorism to the point we are willing to allow intrusions upon certain rights, is sad. Whether or not you even believe liberties have been eroded, is beside the point. What happens if we have another attack? You don't think there's going to be another opportunistic power grab? That even MORE people will beg for security in lieu of liberty?

It's that defeatism and fear that is causing things to get worse for us politically. Everyone knows something isn't right, that's why Obama has so much support. All one need do these days apprently, is merely promise the idea of "change", and he or she can literally sweep the country off its feet without MANY of those people even caring about the real issues. The promise itself is simply enough, political consequences be damned. That's where we're at now.

The fact that there's enough people who think 3rd party is a waste, is why we're stuck with the 2 party monopoly which hasn't been serving our best interests for a long while now.

When is it time for REAL change? Never? Let's just ride out this sorry excuse for a congress and try as hard as we can to be content about whatever we got going on in our lives?

I just don't get it.

Gunny, simply recognizing that we are powerless against the system and doing nothing to try and change it, is defeatist. Since when do Marines quit?

By saying there's nothing we can do, we give away our country to tyranny. At what point do we finally do something? When we no longer have the bill of rights PROPERLY protecting us? Because it's getting there, you HAVE to notice it. How can you not? The mere fact that we are afraid of terrorism to the point we are willing to allow intrusions upon certain rights, is sad. Whether or not you even believe liberties have been eroded, is beside the point. What happens if we have another attack? You don't think there's going to be another opportunistic power grab? That even MORE people will beg for security in lieu of liberty?

It's that defeatism and fear that is causing things to get worse for us politically. Everyone knows something isn't right, that's why Obama has so much support. All one need do these days apprently, is merely promise the idea of "change", and he or she can literally sweep the country off its feet without MANY of those people even caring about the real issues. The promise itself is simply enough, political consequences be damned. That's where we're at now.

The fact that there's enough people who think 3rd party is a waste, is why we're stuck with the 2 party monopoly which hasn't been serving our best interests for a long while now.

When is it time for REAL change? Never? Let's just ride out this sorry excuse for a congress and try as hard as we can to be content about whatever we got going on in our lives?

I just don't get it.

Well said.

We only have a broken 2 party system because so many of us refuse to vote for other parties. The big 2 play on this, They will tell you a vote for a 3rd party is a waste. They will ignore your values because they know there is no where else for you to go.

The only way that will ever change is if Enough Americans STOP VOTING for the Dems and Republicans and start voting for real change in our political system.

Vote 3rd party and pressure the 2 parties to make changes or lose power!!!

or you can just keep making excuses to keep supporting a broken 2 party system parading around like it is a real Democracy.

Charlse

There's something wrong. Out of 300 million people, Obama and McCain are the best the U.S. has to offer?

less than 5% of the vote? what kind of a party is that?

name the administrative mechanism and why you disagree with them. should any nitwit get onto ballots with a party name? imagine if 500,000 people decided they were each a party wanting to be on the ballot?

how can the state not recognize a party? all a party has to do is register as a nonprofit or something like that, no?

The party of any presidential candidate that gets more than 5% of the popular vote in the previous election is eligible for federal funding. That makes the party viable.

Thats why the dems litigate and legislate the Green party out of viability. In 2004 they sued Nader some 30 times to force him to use his money to fight the lawsuits. Don't think the Repubs will do the same if Barr starts gaining traction.

Thats why you vote third party. For a long term goal. Everyone needs to get out of the microwave mindset.

Actually, what he is saying makes perfect sense. The best showing i have seen was Ross Perot, and what did he accomplish? He took the moderate vote; which, hurt the GOP worse than the Democrats.

IIRC, if Nader hadn't stuck his name on the ballot in 2000, it might have been the difference in who won that election.

I don't disagree with you from an idealistic standpoint. Both the GOP and Democrats suck and a third party -- preferably one that actually recongnized the Constitution instead of figuring out ways to legislate around it -- would be a refreshing change.

From a reality standpoint, all 3rd parties accomplish is to take votes away from one or the other; thus, actually helping one or the other but offerin gno real threat of a win on their own.

And the FEC provided Perot funds in 1996 but he wasn't viable due to his quitting in 92. They also played games with the party designation. He founded the reform party largely off his base in 1992, but the FEC wouldn't fund it because he ran as an independent. That is why he ran in 96 at all.

The other problem is the two parties control of the Pres Debates Commission. It is controlled by the parties and funded by corporate donors.

BrianH wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of 300 million people, Obama and McCain are the best the U.S. has to offer?

Paulitics wrote:
No, most voters knew they weren't but voted for them anyway.

Says quite a bit about the voters, doesn't it...

Forum List

Back