Vivek Ramaswamy: Not Constitutionally Eligible to Be President

'Natural born citizen' is a particular phrase in Article II, and it has a particular meaning therein.

I don't care about McCain, as both of his parents were already citizens when he was born. And as if Øbama was going to raise that issue?

It's born in the U.S. and subject to the jurisdiction thereof. That makes Ramaswamy a natural born citizen.

It's born in the U.S. and subject to the jurisdiction thereof. That makes Ramaswamy a natural born citizen.

But not a 'natural born citizen' as Article II demands for purposes of being President. The 14th has no impact on that, nor was it intended to, and they did not use the term in the 14th for that reason.

From the link in the OP.

In response, they enshrined the “natural born citizen” requirement in the Constitution as a guard against what Gouverneur Morris in the Constitutional Convention called “the danger of admitting strangers into our public councils.”

In his View of the Constitution of the United States, St. George Tucker eloquently explained the purpose of the provision:

That provision in the constitution which requires that the president shall be a native-born citizen (unless he were a citizen of the United States when the constitution was adopted) is a happy means of security against foreign influence, which, wherever it is capable of being exerted, is to be dreaded more than the plague.

The admission of foreigners into our councils, consequently, cannot be too much guarded against; their total exclusion from a station to which foreign nations have been accustomed to attach ideas of sovereign power, sacredness of character, and hereditary right, is a measure of the most consummate policy and wisdom.

The source of the “natural born citizen” standard is known to us today. Swiss jurist Emerrich de Vattel defined that term in his book The Law of Nations, published in 1758 and which, according to Benjamin Franklin, “had been continually in the hands of the members of our Congress.”

Book I, Chapter 19, Section 212 of The Law of Nations reads:

Natural-born citizens, are those born in the country, of parents who are citizens. As the society cannot exist and perpetuate itself otherwise than by the children of the citizens, those children naturally follow the condition of their fathers, and succeed to all their rights. The society is supposed to desire this, in consequence of what it owes to its own preservation; and it is presumed, as matter of course, that each citizen, on entering into society, reserves to his children the right of becoming members of it.

The country of the fathers is therefore that of the children; and these become true citizens merely by their tacit consent. We shall soon see, whether, on their coming to the years of discretion, they may renounce their right, and what they owe to the society in which they were born. I say, that, in order to be of the country, it is necessary that a person be born of a father who is a citizen; for if he is born there of a foreigner, it will be only the place of his birth, and not his country. [Emphasis added.]

De Vattel’s definition of “natural born citizen” and the benefits derived from distinguishing between “natural born citizens” and “citizens” were well known to our Founding Fathers and, in fact, the very name of that high standard was copied verbatim by them into Article II of the U.S. Constitution wherein the qualifications for president of the United States are set out.

To see that such a qualification was universally agreed to by the delegates at the Constitutional Convention of 1787, one need only look to the record of that convention and note that the requirement that the president be a “natural born citizen” was mentioned only twice and was agreed to “nem. con.,” a contraction of a Latin legal phrase meaning “without opposition.”

I've been saying since day one this guy wasn't eligible to be president. Even John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court in a letter to George Washington drafting the Presidential qualification clause said:

——Permit me to hint, whether it would not be wise & seasonable to provide a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government, and to declare expressly that the Command in chief of the american army shall not be given to, nor devolved on, any but a natural born Citizen.-——

Do you have a better written link that gets to the point?

But not a 'natural born citizen' as Article II demands for purposes of being President. The 14th has no impact on that, nor was it intended to, and they did not use the term in the 14th for that reason.

Yes, there's only two types of citizens. Natural born or naturalized. There is no third type, of which, there isn't even a legal definition.

So you guys are gonna use the whole bullshit Obama argument on him. LOL. Proving once again, conservatives eat their own.

Ok, so let's look at the law straight up.

He's a threat to their cult leader. That's all this is about. Cult 45 isn't about conservatism. They aren't about America. They are about Trump.

He's a threat to their cult leader. That's all this is about. Cult 45 isn't about conservatism. They aren't about America. They are about Trump.
Viv was MAGA from the word go. But I don't think he ever saw himself as a threat to Trump or a serious contender for the nomination.. He took great pains to ingratiate himself to both Trump and the base.
That's why I got the impression he was angling to be Trump's running mate seeing as now there was no way Trump would ever choose any of the other RINO's in the field.

I've been saying since day one this guy wasn't eligible to be president. Even John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court in a letter to George Washington drafting the Presidential qualification clause said:

——Permit me to hint, whether it would not be wise & seasonable to provide a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government, and to declare expressly that the Command in chief of the american army shall not be given to, nor devolved on, any but a natural born Citizen.-——

Everything I've found on him says he was born in Cincinnati and he is 35 years old, barely. Constitutionally, that makes him eligible to be President. Qualified to be President? That's a bit more ambiguous. But I believe he is eligible.

I would very much hesitate to vote for anyone so young. So far JFK was our youngest President at age 43 when elected and Joe Biden the oldest at age 78 when elected.

Yes, there's only two types of citizens. Natural born or naturalized. There is no third type, of which, there isn't even a legal definition.

The term 'Natural born citizen' is not in the 14th Amendment, and for a reason. The reason is that they wanted to maintain its meaning in Article II.

From factual historic meaning, therefore, Ramaswamy is not eligible per Article II.

Everything I've found on him says he was born in Cincinnati and he is 35 years old, barely. Constitutionally, that makes him eligible to be President. Qualified to be President? That's a bit more ambiguous. But I believe he is eligible.

I would very much hesitate to vote for anyone so young. So far JFK was our youngest President at age 43 when elected and Joe Biden the oldest at age 78 when elected.
Kennedy was the youngest ELECTED POTUS at age 43, Teddy Roosevelt was the youngest POTUS when he took over after the assassination of McKinley. He was 42.

What fake birth certificate? Your evidence is ... ?
seriously dude, give it up already.

Obama-Birther-Certificate-BIG.jpeg

From the link in the OP.

In response, they enshrined the “natural born citizen” requirement in the Constitution as a guard against what Gouverneur Morris in the Constitutional Convention called “the danger of admitting strangers into our public councils.”
In his View of the Constitution of the United States, St. George Tucker eloquently explained the purpose of the provision:
The source of the “natural born citizen” standard is known to us today. Swiss jurist Emerrich de Vattel defined that term in his book The Law of Nations, published in 1758 and which, according to Benjamin Franklin, “had been continually in the hands of the members of our Congress.”
Book I, Chapter 19, Section 212 of The Law of Nations reads:
De Vattel’s definition of “natural born citizen” and the benefits derived from distinguishing between “natural born citizens” and “citizens” were well known to our Founding Fathers and, in fact, the very name of that high standard was copied verbatim by them into Article II of the U.S. Constitution wherein the qualifications for president of the United States are set out.
To see that such a qualification was universally agreed to by the delegates at the Constitutional Convention of 1787, one need only look to the record of that convention and note that the requirement that the president be a “natural born citizen” was mentioned only twice and was agreed to “nem. con.,” a contraction of a Latin legal phrase meaning “without opposition.”

That's from the English edition published in 1797. The one published in 1758, in French, read as this...

212.jpg

The translation of which reads as...

The Citizens make the members of the Civil Society bound this Society by certain duties & provided fon To the authority they participate with equality fes advantages The Natural or the do those who are born in the country of Parent Citizens The Society can only fe foutient & fe perpetuate by the enfans of the Citizens these enfans naturally flee wind the condition of their Fathers & enter into all their rights The Society eft supposed to want it ainfi by a leak of what it must do own confervation & it is presmoked by right that each Citizen by entering the Society referve fes enfans the right to be members The Fatherlander eft therefore that of the children & these of Bb 3 come

seriously dude, give it up already.

Obama-Birther-Certificate-BIG.jpeg

LOL

Holy shit. :eusa_doh:

Aside from all the nonsense added in red, I asked you how he obtained a passport to travel overseas in 2006 -- and you produce a birth certificate that was printed in 2011.

No wonder you said, "give it up, dude." You were really hoping no one would notice your blunder and just give up.

Forum List

Back