Virginia watermen remove 28,000 ghost crab pots

Did you factor this into your republican equations?:

Only $3.5 mil was set aside for removing the pots too.

Hooray for the Waterman but how are you going to restore the crab population without puting the Watermen out of work? It's typical of the enviro radicals who operate on emotion instead of reality to call the salvage of 28,000 broken down crab pots a victory because Waterman got a winter's work at $300 per day. The pots do sell on the yuppie souvenir market. I wonder if they had to turn them over to some nameless federal bureaucracy for destruction?

You missed the point. It's not just the $300 a day, but all the crabs that won't die in ghost pots, are now available for those same watermen to harvest. As far as losing work, that's been happening for decades as the crab population declined. This could only help to put them back to work. :clap2:

You don't seem to get the point. The Chesapeake has been a concern for decades. Every river in Virginia flows into it sooner or later and the state has been protecting watershead property and wetlands from flooding silt in to the water as far as the West Va. border. Dumping money on the problem is nothing new. Ever see an old crab pot? They rust out quickly in the salt water. The crabs walk in and the crabs walk out. At $5,000 per derilect pot I'd be out there pulling in the junk myself.

Hooray for the Waterman but how are you going to restore the crab population without puting the Watermen out of work?

Sustainable farming.

It's typical of the enviro radicals who operate on emotion instead of reality to call the salvage of 28,000 broken down crab pots a victory because Waterman got a winter's work at $300 per day. The pots do sell on the yuppie souvenir market. I wonder if they had to turn them over to some nameless federal bureaucracy for destruction?

The program goes well beyond "salvage of 28,000 broken down crab pots".

70 waterman * $300 per day * 90 days = $1,890,000

Lets call it $3,000,000 once you factor in fuel to be generous.

The full program includes aspects the focus on restoring habitat through ghost pot removal, marsh grass wetland restoration, improved forestation of surrounding dry lands, reducing runoff of pesticides and other pollutants, and improved oxygenation by decgreasing summer algee blooms.

>>>>

"Sustainable Farming". Just the kind of enviro-babble that makes the left feel all fuzzy. I was responding to the initial post in which Mr. Bond seemed to think it was an incredible accomplishment to recover 28,000 derelect crab pots. The truth of the matter is that federal programs have been in place for decades to try to improve the Chesapeake. The Feds will actually pay for tree planting as far away from the coast as the West Va. border. Another 15 million fed money matched by 3.5 million state money to recover 28,000 old crab pots still comes out to about $5,000 per pot divided up between the Watermen and the various parasite bureaucracies that live off taxpayer money.
Since we've already determined that the math works out to about $3 million going to the 70 watermen, who gets the other 15.5 million and why?

Figure also that is a winter's worth of work for each Waterman of about $42,800. Good work if you can get it. I suspect that's also probably split up even further.

So where's the other 15.5 million?

Hooray for the Waterman but how are you going to restore the crab population without puting the Watermen out of work? It's typical of the enviro radicals who operate on emotion instead of reality to call the salvage of 28,000 broken down crab pots a victory because Waterman got a winter's work at $300 per day. The pots do sell on the yuppie souvenir market. I wonder if they had to turn them over to some nameless federal bureaucracy for destruction?

You missed the point. It's not just the $300 a day, but all the crabs that won't die in ghost pots, are now available for those same watermen to harvest. As far as losing work, that's been happening for decades as the crab population declined. This could only help to put them back to work. :clap2:

You don't seem to get the point. The Chesapeake has been a concern for decades. Every river in Virginia flows into it sooner or later and the state has been protecting watershead property and wetlands from flooding silt in to the water as far as the West Va. border. Dumping money on the problem is nothing new. Ever see an old crab pot? They rust out quickly in the salt water. The crabs walk in and the crabs walk out. At $5,000 per derilect pot I'd be out there pulling in the junk myself.

Except that there was no $5,000 per pot. At $300 a day are you saying it took a waterman 17 days to recover one pot?!?! I know you're not too good at math, but sheer logic should tell you that your numbers don't add up.

One thing I don't get about the whole crab situation is why, after years of declining stocks, they don't further limit or completely stop the harvesting of females. After a few years of that, there should be bumper harvests.

Sustainable farming.

The program goes well beyond "salvage of 28,000 broken down crab pots".

70 waterman * $300 per day * 90 days = $1,890,000

Lets call it $3,000,000 once you factor in fuel to be generous.

The full program includes aspects the focus on restoring habitat through ghost pot removal, marsh grass wetland restoration, improved forestation of surrounding dry lands, reducing runoff of pesticides and other pollutants, and improved oxygenation by decgreasing summer algee blooms.

>>>>

"Sustainable Farming". Just the kind of enviro-babble that makes the left feel all fuzzy. I was responding to the initial post in which Mr. Bond seemed to think it was an incredible accomplishment to recover 28,000 derelect crab pots. The truth of the matter is that federal programs have been in place for decades to try to improve the Chesapeake. The Feds will actually pay for tree planting as far away from the coast as the West Va. border. Another 15 million fed money matched by 3.5 million state money to recover 28,000 old crab pots still comes out to about $5,000 per pot divided up between the Watermen and the various parasite bureaucracies that live off taxpayer money.
Since we've already determined that the math works out to about $3 million going to the 70 watermen, who gets the other 15.5 million and why?

Figure also that is a winter's worth of work for each Waterman of about $42,800. Good work if you can get it. I suspect that's also probably split up even further.

So where's the other 15.5 million?

It went to pay for fees, license, research the cost of paying the fees and license, bueacrates to determine who will do the research and who will pay the fees and license, gas for them, food, lodging, research on the cost of gas, food, and lodging, bueacrates to determine who will do the research to determine who pays for, etc etc etc...

An excellent waste of our money considering our fiscal situation.

One thing I don't get about the whole crab situation is why, after years of declining stocks, they don't further limit or completely stop the harvesting of females. After a few years of that, there should be bumper harvests.

That would eliminate the yearly need for wasting Fed money on things people living away from the coast dont care about.

That would eliminate the yearly need for wasting Fed money on things people living away from the coast dont care about.

Yeah, and then we go after the farmers. Why should I care about the problems in fly-over country? :eek:

Yeah, and then we go after the farmers. Why should I care about the problems in fly-over country? :eek:

Absolutely.

You shouldn't. Farmers laugh when they are paid not to farm an area for 20 years.

Why?

B/c they plant trees, then harvest them, knowing the Fed will pay them not to plant food for another 20 years.

oh, you didn't know they could do that?

Forum List

Back