Victorian Style Mansions/Houses

While cool to look at can you imagine the maintenance?

I know. Some people do it though! They buy them and restore them and even live in them too sometimes. I would LOVE to have a tour of the insides of some of the old Victorian houses that I drive past every day.

The Moody mansion is awe inspiring.

Is it this one?

moody-mansion.jpg

I know. Some people do it though! They buy them and restore them and even live in them too sometimes. I would LOVE to have a tour of the insides of some of the old Victorian houses that I drive past every day.
I'd like to live in one of those houses View attachment 126260

I wouldn't want to clean it though! :lol: I would have to have a couple of maids.

I just love the style of these houses. They are all so unique and unusual. Too bad the maintenance on such houses is so expensive and the material to build them as well. Not to mention they are not very efficient on your energy bills, but if you could afford it, they are just gorgeous and more than just a house but like a part of history and a conversation piece too. So I decided to make a thread about them. Pictures, information, history, etc., about Victorian houses are all welcome in this thread. :)

Depositphotos_3062010_s.jpg
My sister and her husband have a painted lady.....now that they are getting older, it's not quite so great....they want to downsize now.

Is it this one?

moody-mansion.jpg

This link shows it much better.
Even as a kid I was awe struck when taking the tour.
Moody Mansion

I wouldn't want to clean it though! :lol: I would have to have a couple of maids.
20630385-aspirapolvere-donna-Archivio-Fotografico.jpg

:D

Is it this one?

moody-mansion.jpg

Moody Mansion

The stained glass windows are something else! That mansion is a work of art.

staircase.jpg

Is it this one?

moody-mansion.jpg

Moody Mansion

The stained glass windows are something else! That mansion is a work of art.

staircase.jpg
Wonderful! Only a very good artisan can do that! nodding.gif

Every summer I visit Newport and I usually go on the cliff walk which is about a 3-1/2 mile hike (one way if you go all the way to the end) with mansions on one side (the Kennedys owned one!) and the ocean on the other side. It is really breathtaking. If you are ever up here on the northeast coast, I would highly recommend that you visit Newport, Rhode Island. Great beaches, great scenery, lots of fun. :)

I've only ever had a tour of one of the mansions, and I think it was the Marble House. It's not really a Victorian style home though, so I digress. :D I will post a couple of pictures of it though because it is just . . . awesome. Way too fancy for me to ever want to live in, but it is still pretty awesome.

75cccdf6bcc5de1a53d521b2470469c4.jpg

marble-house-newport-ri-745x453.jpg

Every summer I visit Newport and I usually go on the cliff walk which is about a 3-1/2 mile hike (one way if you go all the way to the end) with mansions on one side (the Kennedys owned one!) and the ocean on the other side. It is really breathtaking. If you are ever up here on the northeast coast, I would highly recommend that you visit Newport, Rhode Island. Great beaches, great scenery, lots of fun. :)

I've only ever had a tour of one of the mansions, and I think it was the Marble House. It's not really a Victorian style home though, so I digress. :D I will post a couple of pictures of it though because it is just . . . awesome. Way too fancy for me to ever want to live in, but it is still pretty awesome.

First pic looks like it belongs in Trumps house.

First pic looks like it belongs in Trumps house.

While beautiful to look at, I could never live in a place like that. Too cold. I like a "homey" home. :)

Until the utility bills came. My city has several of them. They do not fetch top dollar any more because they are "historical" which prevents a lot of the updates that will keep the bills low. My old boss was shelling out over $3K a month in winter to heat his.

Until the utility bills came. My city has several of them. They do not fetch top dollar any more because they are "historical" which prevents a lot of the updates that will keep the bills low. My old boss was shelling out over $3K a month in winter to heat his.

Yes, well it's probably easier to afford if you live in a warm climate. Some people do own and live in them, and you don't have to have them on the historical register. That is a choice. If you decide to register your house, then the historical society will help you with renovations (at least that's how it is around here).

Yes, well it's probably easier to afford if you live in a warm climate. Some people do own and live in them, and you don't have to have them on the historical register. That is a choice. If you decide to register your house, then the historical society will help you with renovations (at least that's how it is around here).

Not a choice here. The areas where they are mostly located have historical zoning overlays and have a historical committee that has to approve everything. That committee has a tendency to approve very little. It would take one of them being gutted by fire or having a structural collapse before they would let you update anything about them. There aren't a lot of them outside the historical districts that are not in ghetto areas nobody would put that kind of money into.

Forum List

Back