Veterans receiving PTSD disability should be prohibited from owning a firearm

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Anybody disagree? Veterans who continue to show psychological problems to the point that they are considered disabled because of a mental condition should be prohibited from owning firearms. The restriction should continue as long as the disability.

And where is the line drawn? I'm not sure I trust some government shrink to make that decision.

Furthermore, if we weren't running around the world blowing up everyone who looked at us wrong this would be less of an issue.

Anybody disagree? Veterans who continue to show psychological problems to the point that they are considered disabled because of a mental condition should be prohibited from owning firearms. The restriction should continue as long as the disability.

Yes, I disagree. PTSD has nothing to do with this issue. We have a lot of veterans in western KY who would not have enough food if they didn't hunt and fish. Those rifles are important to their livelihood and that of their families. Each year they fill those freezers with venison, quail, turkey, frog, fish, and squirrel.

I have worked with veterans and they only time gun ownership is a problem is if they are suicideal or homicidal. I've seen many who were suicidal and only 1 homicidal, and I would have been to under the circumstance. If they are suicidal, before they leave my office I have engaged a family member to go in and take the guns before he/she gets home.

Last edited:
And where is the line drawn? I'm not sure I trust some government shrink to make that decision.

Furthermore, if we weren't running around the world blowing up everyone who looked at us wrong this would be less of an issue.

Well, I have been a 'government shrink' in my carreer so you might check out my answer.

The line is drawn in disability benefits. If a Veteran continues to receive disability benefits related to PTSD it is an official acknowledgement that he/she is mentally disabled.

Yes, I disagree. PTSD has nothing to do with this issue. We have a lot of veterans in western KY who would not have enough food if they didn't hunt and fish. Those rifles are important to their livelihood and that of their families. Each year they fill those freezers with venison, quail, turkey, frog, fish, and squirrel.

I have worked with veterans and they only time gun ownership is a problem is if they are suicideal or homicidal. I've seen many who were suicidal and only 1 homicidal, and I would have been to under the circumstance. If they are suicidal, before they leave my office I have engaged a family member to go in and take the guns before he/she gets home.

Please don't tell me that disability payments related to fraudulent claims of PTSD are legitimate because the Veterans need the money.

Please don't tell me that disability payments related to fraudulent claims of PTSD are legitimate because the Veterans need the money.

So what exactly are you against, PTSD veterans owning guns or the fact that they are drawing disability payments?

I'm a 2nd Amendment proponent and a Veteran but I realize that we have to draw the line about mentally ill people being able to purchase firearms. The best place to start is with people who have been diagnosed with a mental illness and are so impaired that they are receiving government benefits.

Why do you think their claims are fraudulent?

So what exactly are you against, PTSD veterans owning guns or the fact that they are drawing disability payments?

I'm a 2nd Amendment proponent and a Veteran but I realize that we have to draw the line about mentally ill people being able to purchase firearms. The best place to start is with people who have been diagnosed with a mental illness and are so impaired that they are receiving government benefits.

Most veterans draw a small pension for their PTSD, but they also work. A 10% disability dosn't give one enough to live on. When I worked with veterans most of them worked. I don't recall a single one that was 100% disabled and drew enough money to live without some other income. Too bad you are so judgmental of your peers. But then I take it you were never in combat. That's a horse of a different color.

It really doesn't matter what he is against. He went after veterans who have served this country and earned their pensions doing a job that most would not do. He really should go for the welfare class and their generational pursuit of the free buck. I call bullshit on this thread. I've worked with these people, and they are no more unsafe to own a gun than anyone else who has been traumatized some other way. In fact many people go out and buy guns after they have been traumatized so they will be prepared.

Last edited:

It really doesn't matter what he is against. He went after veterans who have served this country and earned their pensions doing a job that most would not do. He really should go for the welfare class and their generational pursuit of the free buck. I call bullshit on this thread. I've worked with these people, and they are no more unsafe to own a gun than anyone else who has been traumatized some other way. In fact many people go out and buy guns after they have been traumatized so they will be prepared.

I agree with you. My best friend suffers from PTSD. He came back from Iraq several years ago, but Iraq didn't do it. It was something that happened to him in Thailand in one of those raids the government keeps secret, but consisting of as much combat as what has occurred in recent times. So if anyone thought he was dangerous, why would they let him go back into combat? Incidentally, he doesn't draw compensation for PTSD.

The left seems wholeheartedly against the military collecting benefits but find nothing wrong with welfare recipients collecting money they didn't earn.

Last edited:

I agree with you. My best friend suffers from PTSD. He came back from Iraq several years ago, but Iraq didn't do it. It was something that happened to him in Thailand in one of those raids the government keeps secret, but consisting of as much combat as what has occurred in recent times. So if anyone thought he was dangerous, why would they let him go back into combat? Incidentally, he doesn't draw compensation for PTSD.

The left seems wholeheartedly against the military collecting benefits but find nothing wrong with welfare recipients collecting money they didn't earn.

Your best friend can continue to collect benefits related to his condition. I don't have a problem with it. I just think a person who is mentally ill to the point of collecting government benefits should not be allowed to purchase a weapon. It's a simple concept.

Thanks for clarifying that. On another note, city police department have cops, who have been involved in shootings, and sometimes they get haunted by these shootings. What do you think about disarming these same cops, who are suffering from what might be considered PTSD?

Impaired in what manner? A mental illness is in NO WAY an indicator of homicidal or suicidal behavior. If you receive government benefits you have played your cards properly.

Your best friend can continue to collect benefits related to his condition. I don't have a problem with it. I just think a person who is mentally ill to the point of collecting government benefits should not be allowed to purchase a weapon. It's a simple concept.

Well, I would feel as safe with my friend than anybody else, whether he was wielding a gun or not. It depends on what kind of PTSD the veteran comes back with. Like Sunshine said, if the guy is suicidal or homicidal, yeah, make sure he doesn't have weapons nearby, but I can see the government going to extremes and making sure that all returning veterans lose the right to bear arms.

Thanks for clarifying that. On another note, city police department have cops, who have been involved in shootings, and sometimes they get haunted by these shootings. What do you think about disarming these same cops, who are suffering from what might be considered PTSD?

I think anyone who is undergoing court ordered psychiatric counseling should be prohibited from purchasing or carrying a firearm until the court determines the outcome. Police Officers who retire with a disability related to mental illness should be prohibited from purchasing a firearm. The rest of us who have had traumatic stress in our lives are free to judge our own mental stability.

I'll bet USMB poster "OldGuy" has quite a collection that the Gov't can take.

I wonder when his next VA appointment is?

I think anyone who is undergoing court ordered psychiatric counseling should be prohibited from purchasing or carrying a firearm until the court determines the outcome. Police Officers who retire with a disability related to mental illness should be prohibited from purchasing a firearm. The rest of us who have had traumatic stress in our lives are free to judge our own mental stability.

Presumed guilty prior to the decision ?

PTSD treatment is not court ordered. And if you want to take guns away from anyone who has ever been treated for a psychiatric illness, many of our service men would be brought home, because they leave and take their meds with them. The Department of Defense decides who is fit for duty. And they don't cull those on meds. Pretty much anyone who has ever taken a valium, or a sleep aid would also have to turn in their guns. You seriously don't know anything about mental illness, it's treatment, or how it is obtained. This is just another stupid angle to disarm America. And even if you did refuse to sell to people with a psychiatric illness, you couldn't prove it. Medical records are confidential. HIPAA. You could draw back a nub on this one. You really need to give it up while you only look semi stupid.

Forum List

Back