Veterans receiving PTSD disability should be prohibited from owning a firearm

Thanks for clarifying that. On another note, city police department have cops, who have been involved in shootings, and sometimes they get haunted by these shootings. What do you think about disarming these same cops, who are suffering from what might be considered PTSD?

I think anyone who is undergoing court ordered psychiatric counseling should be prohibited from purchasing or carrying a firearm until the court determines the outcome. Police Officers who retire with a disability related to mental illness should be prohibited from purchasing a firearm. The rest of us who have had traumatic stress in our lives are free to judge our own mental stability.

Presumed guilty prior to the decision ?

A court order indicates the reasonable presumption of mental instability. You wouldn't let a murder suspect carry a gun after he was indicted even if he hasn't been found guilty.

Thanks for clarifying that. On another note, city police department have cops, who have been involved in shootings, and sometimes they get haunted by these shootings. What do you think about disarming these same cops, who are suffering from what might be considered PTSD?

I think anyone who is undergoing court ordered psychiatric counseling should be prohibited from purchasing or carrying a firearm until the court determines the outcome. Police Officers who retire with a disability related to mental illness should be prohibited from purchasing a firearm. The rest of us who have had traumatic stress in our lives are free to judge our own mental stability.

I have been in court hearings on psych patients. The judge doesn't decide anyone is sick. He commits those who are dangerous to self of others, he can order evaluation and treatment, but without some mechanism in place, and I can assure you only a few courts have them, there is no judicial follow up unless a crime is involved and then the follow up isn't with the courts it is with a probation officer..

Anybody disagree? Veterans who continue to show psychological problems to the point that they are considered disabled because of a mental condition should be prohibited from owning firearms. The restriction should continue as long as the disability.

You want to take away a Constitutional right from a person that fought and become injured.

That's really fucked up, not everyone with ptsd is going on a killing spree.

People like you make me sick.

A court order indicates the reasonable presumption of mental instability. You wouldn't let a murder suspect carry a gun after he was indicted even if he hasn't been found guilty.

Mental instability is simply not the same has homicidal or suicidal. The fact that a felon can't legally own a firearm is bullshit also.

PTSD treatment is not court ordered. And if you want to take guns away from anyone who has ever been treated for a psychiatric illness, many of our service men would be brought home, because they leave and take their meds with them. The Department of Defense decides who is fit for duty. And they don't cull those on meds. Pretty much anyone who has ever taken a valium, or a sleep aid would also have to turn in their guns. You seriously don't know anything about mental illness, it's treatment, or how it is obtained. This is just another stupid angle to disarm America. And even if you did refuse to sell to people with a psychiatric illness, you couldn't prove it. Medical records are confidential. HIPAA. You could draw back a nub on this one. You really need to give it up while you only look semi stupid.

PSDT is an admission of extreme mental instability and the continued acceptance of disability benefits is evidence that treatment is not working.

PTSD treatment is not court ordered. And if you want to take guns away from anyone who has ever been treated for a psychiatric illness, many of our service men would be brought home, because they leave and take their meds with them. The Department of Defense decides who is fit for duty. And they don't cull those on meds. Pretty much anyone who has ever taken a valium, or a sleep aid would also have to turn in their guns. You seriously don't know anything about mental illness, it's treatment, or how it is obtained. This is just another stupid angle to disarm America. And even if you did refuse to sell to people with a psychiatric illness, you couldn't prove it. Medical records are confidential. HIPAA. You could draw back a nub on this one. You really need to give it up while you only look semi stupid.

PSDT is an admission of extreme mental instability and the continued acceptance of disability benefits is evidence that treatment is not working.

It is NOT evidence of homicidal or suicidal behavior. PSDT does NOT always mean that the person will be violent. If it did I would agree with ya but it simply doesn't. Disability fraud is a whole nuther ballgame.

It is NOT evidence of homicidal or suicidal behavior. PSDT does NOT always mean that the person will be violent. If it did I would agree with ya but it simply doesn't. Disability fraud is a whole nuther ballgame.

You are correct. I've treated vets from every war since WWII, and most are docile and quite capable of safely owning guns.

As to Mr. Know it all who started this thread, PTSD is an admission of NOTHING, and all he is doing is making it more difficult for people who need help to get it. What a guy. Keep the stigma of mental illness going. Three cheers for the stupid jerk. Hip Hip........

You are correct. I've treated vets from every war since WWII, and most are docile and quite capable of safely owning guns.

As to Mr. Know it all who started this thread, PTSD is an admission of NOTHING, and all he is doing is making it more difficult for people who need help to get it. What a guy. Keep the stigma of mental illness going. Three cheers for the stupid jerk. Hip Hip........

History is rife with tyrants who used "insanity" as a weapon political enemies. I would have to have way more evidence than a DSM # before depriving someone of a constitutional right.

Anybody disagree? Veterans who continue to show psychological problems to the point that they are considered disabled because of a mental condition should be prohibited from owning firearms. The restriction should continue as long as the disability.

You want to take away a Constitutional right from a person that fought and become injured.

Look at it this way. Service to your Country should guarantee you the right to keep and bear arms. The same liberties that Veterans fought and died for also guarantees the right of Americans to be secure in their homes from people who suffer so severely from mental illness that they collect a disability.

History is rife with tyrants who used "insanity" as a weapon political enemies. I would have to have way more evidence than a DSM # before depriving someone of a constitutional right.

And nothing in the DSM of any number does that. In fact, even involuntary committal results ONLY in the loss of the right to leave the hospital. The committed patient can still manage their own affairs, enter into contracts, get married, any right that all other Americans has is theirs. Hospitalization in a mental facility is not a death sentence as to your rights.

Honestly, what I hate about the thread is the ignorance that provides its premise and foundation.

Look at it this way. Service to your Country should guarantee you the right to keep and bear arms. The same liberties that Veterans fought and died for also guarantees the right of Americans to be secure in their homes from people who suffer so severely from mental illness that they collect a disability.

You're hung up on the disability thingy. Why should people who legally qualify for a disability be punished ?

Yeah and you should have a cheese grater inserted rectally.

Yeah and you should have a cheese grater inserted rectally.

Oh, God. I SO owe you positive rep, but I'm shut down for the day. Catch you on the flip side!

You're hung up on the disability thingy. Why should people who legally qualify for a disability be punished ?

He doesn't even know the extent of people who would be disqualified under his ludicrous proposition. Or maybe he does and he just wants to disarm us so he can victimize us.

The "D" in PTSD stands for disability. I didn't make it up. Where did you get the idea they are punished? All I am suggesting is that they be prevented from owning firearms for the duration of their mental illness. It seams reasonable.

The "D" in PTSD stands for disability. I didn't make it up. Where did you get the idea they are punished? All I am suggesting is that they be prevented from owning firearms for the duration of their mental illness. It seams reasonable.

Denying them a right that is protected by the constitution is punishment. Again---disabled does not equal homicidal or suicidal.

So what exactly are you against, PTSD veterans owning guns or the fact that they are drawing disability payments?

I'm a 2nd Amendment proponent and a Veteran but I realize that we have to draw the line about mentally ill people being able to purchase firearms. The best place to start is with people who have been diagnosed with a mental illness and are so impaired that they are receiving government benefits.

Impaired in what manner? A mental illness is in NO WAY an indicator of homicidal or suicidal behavior. If you receive government benefits you have played your cards properly.

Most disabilities don't require card playing. Mental illness is an indicator of ....well....mental illness. It's one of the boxes you need to check on the ATF application to buy a gun.

I'm a 2nd Amendment proponent and a Veteran but I realize that we have to draw the line about mentally ill people being able to purchase firearms. The best place to start is with people who have been diagnosed with a mental illness and are so impaired that they are receiving government benefits.

Impaired in what manner? A mental illness is in NO WAY an indicator of homicidal or suicidal behavior. If you receive government benefits you have played your cards properly.

Most disabilities don't require card playing. Mental illness is an indicator of ....well....mental illness. It's one of the boxes you need to check on the ATF application to buy a gun.

The hell they don't. Tons of paperwork etc etc etc.----and you better read the ATF form again.

Maybe I'm taking the wrong angle on this issue. God knows I don't advocate government confiscation. Ruby Ridge and Waco shows how bad they can get it wrong. I guess PTSD patients are prevented from purchasing firearms anyway if they fill out the ATF application honestly.

He doesn't even know the extent of people who would be disqualified under his ludicrous proposition. Or maybe he does and he just wants to disarm us so he can victimize us.

What is the extent beach babe?

Forum List

Back