Veteran puts military dogs in the spotlight

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
By Stephanie Hickman - The (DeKalb) Daily Chronicle via AP
Posted : Friday Feb 8, 2013 8:43:26 EST

020813-ap-military-dogs-nero-800.JPG

DEKALB, Ill. — Nero isn’t your average veteran.
He served with the Navy in a bomb detection unit in Iraq and protected more than 3,000 soldiers during his deployment. But the things that separate Nero from most veterans are his four legs and furry coat.

Read more @ Veteran puts military dogs in the spotlight - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

:clap2:

Thanks for posting this.

Dogs have saved lives since WWI and many are dead doing same.

Dogs were considered equipment and many dogs were left in Viet Nam for the use of the South Vietnamese Army. They were scared of the dogs and didn't know what to do with em. I'm sure many of them were killed and probably eaten. What a way to treat animals that saved thousands of lives during that war.

Since Viet Nam dogs are now brought back by the military and no longer considered just equipment. Many find homes but there are also many who are euthanized when they are done serving.

I'm glad to see that there are some out there who appreciate what a dog can do and that these military dogs deserve as much praise and help as their human counterparts.

By Stephanie Hickman - The (DeKalb) Daily Chronicle via AP
Posted : Friday Feb 8, 2013 8:43:26 EST

020813-ap-military-dogs-nero-800.JPG

DEKALB, Ill. — Nero isn’t your average veteran.
He served with the Navy in a bomb detection unit in Iraq and protected more than 3,000 soldiers during his deployment. But the things that separate Nero from most veterans are his four legs and furry coat.

Read more @ Veteran puts military dogs in the spotlight - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

:clap2:

:thup: Good dog!

Thanks for posting this.

Dogs have saved lives since WWI and many are dead doing same.

Dogs were considered equipment and many dogs were left in Viet Nam for the use of the South Vietnamese Army. They were scared of the dogs and didn't know what to do with em. I'm sure many of them were killed and probably eaten. What a way to treat animals that saved thousands of lives during that war.

Since Viet Nam dogs are now brought back by the military and no longer considered just equipment. Many find homes but there are also many who are euthanized when they are done serving.

I'm glad to see that there are some out there who appreciate what a dog can do and that these military dogs deserve as much praise and help as their human counterparts.

They really should be elevated to the status of troops.

They deserve it.

Forum List

Back