A Decision

I'd like to know more.

Was the kid in the neighbor's yard? Was the dog running loose? Was the kid provoking the dog?

Too many unanswered questions.

Dogs that areFgood agressive are dogs that need to be watched. Who the hell let a six year old around a food agressive dog??

Seems like mayby the babysitter should be euthanized.

The child was at the dog's owner's house where she was babysitting him. Both dog and child were supposedly asleep when the babysitter left the room. That is when the attack occured. It was not the first time the dog had bitten someone.

That begs the question.

If the mother of the kid knew that the dog at her babysitter's house had bitten people in the past then why the hell would she let her kid stay in that house?

I'd like to know more.

Was the kid in the neighbor's yard? Was the dog running loose? Was the kid provoking the dog?

The following answers all the question I'd need to make that decision

The boy reportedly suffered injuries to his face and other body parts, requiring surgery and 400 stitches.

Read more: Mansfield selectmen vote to euthanize dog that bit boy - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Put that lethal weapon down and let the civil lawsuit commence.

I'd like to know more.

The boy reportedly suffered injuries to his face and other body parts, requiring surgery and 400 stitches.

Read more: Mansfield selectmen vote to euthanize dog that bit boy - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Whatever.

Because the kid or the parent just couldn't have any responsibility here right?

Sorry but if I had a kid there is no way I'd let it stay at a house with an aggressive dog,

In my considerable experience with dogs I have learned that if a dog is aggressive most times it's the owner's fault and that an aggressive dog is not irredeemable.

I'd like to know more.

Whatever.

Sorry but if I had a kid there is no way I'd let it stay at a house with an aggressive dog,

If you had a child you wouldn't refer to him or her as "it," and you wouldn't think twice about whether or not the dog should be put down.

From what I can gather, it seems the child's parent(s) brought their child to the babysitter, who is also the owner of the dog.
First, let's use a little common sense. Dogs are territorial, and that goes for the people that are around them as well as the property they are on. That means that by their very nature, they are protective of their homes and their owners. I don't know what happened when the babysitter left the room, but the dog must have felt threatened by the child that was there. The dog doesn't know the term "babysitting". It's also like going to visit someone who has dogs. As long as the owner is there, you're OK. When the owner leaves, and you are there alone with his dogs, watch out! It knows only that a strange person is there, and it's time to protect it's property.

Also though, if it was already known that the dog had bitten someone previously, the owners should have kept it either outdoors or in a separate room away from any 'strange' people that may be guests there.
IMO, a person or family that's not aware of the general nature of dogs shouldn't own dogs.

The kid plopped in the dog's face. The babysitter was not supervising properly. The parents let the kid go to the dog's house. The kid got bit. Negligence all around for the humans no doubt and misplaced blame. I have had rescues several times and they are a tricky bunch. They need more supervision, attention and training than dogs that have lived in a stable environment.

Killing the dog is not the answer, moving him to a more responsible owner is the answer.

“I came in and Milo was on the couch and then on top of the couch and then Christian plopped down in front of his face,” 15-year-old Heather Bailey said. That’s when Milo, the dog her family rescued, bit Christian Miller, the next door neighbor Heather was babysitting. “I feel so bad, She says her dog had never shown such aggression and hasn’t since. “He’s loving. He’s affectionate,” she said. Mansfield Selectmen To Decide Fate Of Dog That Attacked Boy « CBS Boston

Whatever.

If you had a child you wouldn't refer to him or her as "it," and you wouldn't think twice about whether or not the dog should be put down.

Again, whatever.

Seems to me a parent wouldn't leave a kid with a person who owned an aggressive dog. If they were a good parent that is.

There's a big difference between biting and mauling. 400 stitches indicates tearing or pulling and a degree of viciousness that should be considered unacceptable.

As much as I love dogs, it sounds like the right decision was made.

There's a big difference between biting and mauling. 400 stitches indicates tearing or pulling and a degree of viciousness that should be considered unacceptable.

As much as I love dogs, it sounds like the right decision was made.

Agree. I don't think you can rehabilitate a dog who would do such a thing. This dog will always be a threat to others. You can try to find more responsible owners, but that won't guarantee it won't happen again. Keeping it alive is putting others in danger.

I'd like to know more.

Whatever.

They might very well be entirely responsible.

But ya, 'know... many dogs, even teased or frightened dogs, wouldn't tear into a child like that.

None that I ever owned would, that's for damned sure.

Dogs that will attack humans to that degree, regardless of the provation, ought not be tolerated as housepets.

Nothing to be sorry for, there, amigo.

What sane parent would knowingly put a child in that situation?

For that matter, what sane dog owner would put a child in that situation?

But that dog showed that he would willing attack a child and tear it apart.

That dog has to die.

Its pretty much the norm. The dog will pay for the stupidity of its owner with its life. Good thing the boy was not killed. There should also be criminal charges of neglagence brought against the dogs owner for the simple fact that she knew there were food agression issues, and left the child unsupervised with the dog. At a minimum, a law suit should be brought against the dogs owner.

The dog is food aggressive. Too bad the parents of the child never taught the kid to leave the dog's food alone. The dog is not agressive. It is a happy and playful dog, except when his food is threatened.

My dog loves children. She's never bitten anyone but me and that was an accident. She likes to take her toys out to play. Many times a kid will come over and intend to take the toy out of her mouth. I've always stopped them, and tried to explain to the parent or to the child, that they should never try to take anything out of a strange dog's mouth. Any dog may bite when their food or property is threatened.

The fault is with the parent who willfully failed to property teach the child as to appropriate behavior.

Ironically most parents get angry when I guide that a child should never try to take the toy away from my dog. Don't tell my kid what to do! They should be telling the child themselves.

Forum List

Back