Verizon strike what a sorry bunch

There are actually two Verizons and only one of them is on strike.

Verizon Wireless is non-union and quite profitable but the older, unionized part of Verizon (its land-line business) is in the crapper and rapidly going the way of the buggy whip.

Land Lines are (by far) the most expensive type of phone service to maintain and Verizon has been selling them off for years. Indeed, here in the northeast, they sold their entire land-line operation in all of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

So the strikers are in a tough spot because the company is dead serious about divesting itself of that part of the business. And their work is disappearing via attrition anyway.

Also, I have seen the list of concessions Verizon wants and it is extensive. Even some of my retiree benefits are at risk. So my heart is with the strikers but I sure don’t envy them.

I live in Georgia. It is at an at will state. You dont do your job your FIRED period. That is the way it should be why get all these chances because your union. People in At will states actually work and try to improve each year so they do get raises. I dont think anyone has a RIGHT to have a job if they dont do the job they were hired to do!!!
I agree, just as long as the wage doesn't descend to Wal-Mart level, and no racial or sexual discrimination is allowed.

Just having the threat of a union keeps non-union companies honest. Non-union auto plants pay just about the same as unionized ones, but if there were no unions at all, my hunch is that wages would fall considerably. Next, remove some of the safety standards required by the federal government, and all of a sudden the workplace becomes very worker unfriendly.

One thing about unions; while they give workers the right to strike and to fair collective bargaining, it doesn't mean that they will always get what they want. And if they truly are that far out of line, the company can move forward and try to bust the union by hiring scabs indefinitely.

the land line side of verizon, which is where 90+% of the union jobs are, is dying. if the unions push this too hard, i wouldn't be surprised if verizon said fuck it and got out of the dial tone biz all together. the wireless side ias what's driving profits and that's 98% non union.

IIRC correctly, teamsters at UPS pushed a strike too far in the 70's with the result that UPS closed a ton of facilities and cut a bunch of union jobs.

And I would laugh my ass off because all those dumbasses will be on unemployment

You're a bitter hag! Did you get fired from your last 12 jobs because you absolutely reek of a stench that of a skunk?! I AM A UNION WORKER, I am not the problem. Teachers, police officers, paramedics, firefighters, road workers, etc. are NOT the enemy. If you're jealous of our benefits, FIGHT FOR YOUR OWN!, not against ours. The rich who created this crisis are putting middle class families against each other. We live here, pay taxes, work hard & try to support our families too. Get educated, get real and get a life!
Again the name calling . Your so intelligent..:cuckoo:. I have every right to say what I say since my husband served in the military for 25 years to give me that right!!!

Union fat cat large pick up truck owners, need to give some benefits up for the greater good.

Wages for workers are determined by what the market can bear and what companys can pay and remain profitable. Union wages are not market determined. If you all want to cry about CEO's salaries then lets just let the govt set wages for all workers in every industry. Would that make you all happy. How about we just let the govt assume control of all industry in America. Then that would be fair.

Closet communists make me sick. Just come out of the closet and proclaim it proudly comrade.

Unions have NO place in american industy today. They are just as bad for the worker as the industry they have infected.

Somebody tell me when I worked for the cable company why I could not opt out of union membership? Why did I have to pay dues to an organization that I did not agree with. I served 2 years under the wing of the CWA. They are a corrupt orgainiztion whos only priority is their own survival.

Since the mid 20th century and especially in last ten years, we are seeing a giant paradigm shift. An employee's value is based almost entirely on current achievements with little or no emphasis on passed achievements nor loyalty to the company. The company looks upon the employee as a cost item to be minimize or eliminated if possible. The traditional management structure of division managers, department managers, supervisors, and workers is being replaced with a team approach where each person, is in effect their own boss. The chain of command is less important. Time clocks and set working hours are becoming a thing of the past.

Not surprisingly, the employee sees his current employment, not as home but rather a stopping point in his career. The only value the employer is to the employee is a paycheck and place to work.

Unions are considered to be dinosaurs by management, relics of the past that stand in the way progress. This is probably true for the professional workers which is how management is coming to view all workers. However, blue collar workers simply do not fit the paradigm. They're not climbing a ladder to success. They are just trying to feed their family. They see loyalty and seniority as being important. In short typical blue collar workers just don't fit into management view of the future. Unions in my opinion are destined for extinction but still have value for blue collar workers and America.

And I would laugh my ass off because all those dumbasses will be on unemployment

You're a bitter hag! Did you get fired from your last 12 jobs because you absolutely reek of a stench that of a skunk?! I AM A UNION WORKER, I am not the problem. Teachers, police officers, paramedics, firefighters, road workers, etc. are NOT the enemy. If you're jealous of our benefits, FIGHT FOR YOUR OWN!, not against ours. The rich who created this crisis are putting middle class families against each other. We live here, pay taxes, work hard & try to support our families too. Get educated, get real and get a life!
Again the name calling . Your so intelligent..:cuckoo:. I have every right to say what I say since my husband served in the military for 25 years to give me that right!!!

I don't work for Verizon and I am a middle class American-union-and I can't ever remember a time where there was so much jealousy from one group of middle class workers regarding another group of middle class workers.The comments shouldn't be since I don't have something they shouldn't either, or I have to pay this so should they, it should be they have it, why don't I, or they don't pay for this why do I? Again the middle class fights with each other over crumbs. Pensions are not outdated, we've been brainwashed to think that they are and frankly, we don't have the balls to fight for it. I'm guilty too, believe me. The answer is obvious, join a union, it's only because they are in a Union and can bargain collectively that they have better leverage than the rest of us. It's why we all don't have defined pensions. It's why businesses belong to a chamber of commerce, strength in numbers. But I'm not jealous of the strikers, and I will proudly support them because they are my neighbors and friends.They live, work, and spend money in our communities.They are fighting against a greedy corporation that should be raising the standard of living for all Americans. Verizon made 15 Billion dollars in profit last year and paid nothing in federal income taxes, zero. Anyone else not pay taxes? If workers lose this fight, what do you think will happen to our wages and the benefits we have? I can answer that, our wages will not go up and we will pay more for, or have no benefits at all. Btw, I'm a mother and wife working for my family and supporting my husband who is serving his THIRD tour in Iraq! You know NOTHING about me or this battle. Only what you choose to stereotype as your opinion and I will not apologize because I've chosen my life, my education and to be compensated appropriately and yes I can express my views too. How's that for being crazy?!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back