Verizon strike what a sorry bunch

What are they complaining about right?

I mean clearly Verizon needs to cut salaries and benefits to labor because their paying 17.5 million to the CEO and only recorded profits of 2.5 billion so far this year.

Those cry-baby middle class Verizon workers...:confused:?

Those cry-baby middle class workers recieve wages above the industy average for the same job classification. They recieve a benefits package that would make most American workers cry. Why? Because they belong to a union that takes more from them than they recieve. Who pays? We do because Verizon does not eat those costs they pass them on to consumers.

Right, because you've seen the cost of your bills go down as unions have been pushed out.

Why aren't you complaining about the CEO's salary being passed on to you in higher costs? The top 5 executives make over 280 million dollars in salary and stock options, but it's the big, bad wage worker trying to feed his family that’s to blame.

:cuckoo:

Dont give me any crap about the poor wage earning Verizon lineman trying to feed his family. He is trying to buy another vehicle or a better vaction. His family eats and eats well.
A CEO's salary is not determined by the threat of a strike its a business decsion made my the company based on his worth. Workers wages should be determined the same way not foreced on the company by threats.

I just heard on the news the unions strikers cut the lines to phones to the hospitals and other buildings . Of course they are denied it but the Feds are involved. I hope they all go to jail worthless piece of craps!

The actions of thugs.

Those cry-baby middle class workers recieve wages above the industy average for the same job classification. They recieve a benefits package that would make most American workers cry. Why? Because they belong to a union that takes more from them than they recieve. Who pays? We do because Verizon does not eat those costs they pass them on to consumers.

Right, because you've seen the cost of your bills go down as unions have been pushed out.

Why aren't you complaining about the CEO's salary being passed on to you in higher costs? The top 5 executives make over 280 million dollars in salary and stock options, but it's the big, bad wage worker trying to feed his family that’s to blame.

Dont give me any crap about the poor wage earning Verizon lineman trying to feed his family. He is trying to buy another vehicle or a better vaction. His family eats and eats well.
A CEO's salary is not determined by the threat of a strike its a business decsion made my the company based on his worth. Workers wages should be determined the same way not foreced on the company by threats.

So when you earlier complained that higher wages for union labor was passed on to the consumer, that wasn't really your issue?

Then what did you mean by that comment?

Picking saying they want jobs. Are they not the ones who walked off their jobs. Just be grateful that you have one but there is a lot of people who dont.
I know a few people who work for Verizon out here in California. They are not unionized. If someone tried to get the unions in, they'd find some way to fire them.

Unions were neccessary at one time when 12 year old kids lost most of their fingers in sweat shops for $1/day. We have enough protections in place now that make many unions obsolete. But I will always think that policemen, nurses, teamsters (if they're driving trucks!), and firefighters should have unions.

You need to have another conversation with your verizon friends in California.

Telecom giant Verizon Communications Inc. is coming down to the wire in contract talks with 5,500 California employees, including Inland area linemen, call center operators, billing clerks and other workers.

The Communications Workers of America has been discussing a new contract with New York City-based Verizon since February, and while there has been progress, the union is keeping the pressure on by making public demonstrations at company facilities, including twice a week at a truck depot in Menifee.

The contract expires Monday, said Libby Sayre, area director for District 9 of the union. Most of the bargaining unit is in Southern California.

Verizon, union at 11th hour on talks | Business | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California

Never in our history has the American work force been better educated. Its a lot harder to exploit workers who can read and write. Most American workers today feel really self entitled to the wages and safe working condtions we have today.

Unions have no purpose in todays work place. In the mine I work at the WV office of miners health and safety and MSHA are more strict on workers safety than the union my dad worked under ever was.
The trend is going away from education in most conservative circles. Many conservatives seem to be saying that 4 years of college is uneccessary, or too expensive for government to provide. I completely agree that Americans have been spoiled by easy prosperity, and that is what we have the potential to lose in this economic decline. Higher education is key to innovation, and innovation is key to American economic exceptionalism.

Do you think firefighters, police, and nurses should have unions?

No; firefighters, police and nurses should not be allowed to unionize. The serve the public in very vital roles that we can not allow to be disrupted by strikes. Teachers should not have unions either. I missed a quarter of my senior year in highschool to a teacher strike. If unions can not strike then they have no leverage against the company.

When I talk about educated American workers I am refering to basic skills to read, write and add. Back in the day the company could cheat workers by having them sign documents they could not read or underpaying them because they had no idea what they where supposed to be paid in the first place. That would be real hard in the era of universal public education and a calculator on every cell phone.

The key to American exceptionalism is teaching people real concrete skills that they can market. A 4 year degree will not help most people. An aprentiship or trade school education can ensure success for more people than a BS or BA.
You make a good case for non unionized firefighters, police, and teachers.

I respectfully couldn't agree less about higher education, because the rest of the world is killing US students in the classroom. US college grads will increasingly be called on to compete with other students at an international level. Most of our country's leaders have at least a four year degree, and many have law degrees. A four year college degree, as it is now, is only a good thing. There are no negative aspects of having one. Not having a four year degree can only be a negative. If somehow we reformed higher education to disclude liberal arts, and teach our doctors without them having take poli sci courses, and teach our engineers with them taking biology courses...I'm all for talking about that...as long as it doesn't affect the global competitiveness of American college grads.

Last edited:
What Verizon should do is drop all health insurance to all employees period. See how they like that shit.

So when you earlier complained that higher wages for union labor was passed on to the consumer, that wasn't really your issue?

Those higher wages I am refering to are the wages that Verizon workers recieve that the market; in the absence of unions; would not or could not support. The CEO receives the pay he gets because Verizon figures the value he brings to the company is worth the cost of his wages.

Picking saying they want jobs. Are they not the ones who walked off their jobs. Just be grateful that you have one but there is a lot of people who dont.
I know a few people who work for Verizon out here in California. They are not unionized. If someone tried to get the unions in, they'd find some way to fire them.

Unions were neccessary at one time when 12 year old kids lost most of their fingers in sweat shops for $1/day. We have enough protections in place now that make many unions obsolete. But I will always think that policemen, nurses, teamsters (if they're driving trucks!), and firefighters should have unions.

You need to have another conversation with your verizon friends in California.

Telecom giant Verizon Communications Inc. is coming down to the wire in contract talks with 5,500 California employees, including Inland area linemen, call center operators, billing clerks and other workers.

The Communications Workers of America has been discussing a new contract with New York City-based Verizon since February, and while there has been progress, the union is keeping the pressure on by making public demonstrations at company facilities, including twice a week at a truck depot in Menifee.

The contract expires Monday, said Libby Sayre, area director for District 9 of the union. Most of the bargaining unit is in Southern California.

Verizon, union at 11th hour on talks | Business | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California
I live in Northern California. Last time I spoke with them they weren't. I could be wrong!...never know.

The trend is going away from education in most conservative circles. Many conservatives seem to be saying that 4 years of college is uneccessary, or too expensive for government to provide. I completely agree that Americans have been spoiled by easy prosperity, and that is what we have the potential to lose in this economic decline. Higher education is key to innovation, and innovation is key to American economic exceptionalism.

Do you think firefighters, police, and nurses should have unions?

No; firefighters, police and nurses should not be allowed to unionize. The serve the public in very vital roles that we can not allow to be disrupted by strikes. Teachers should not have unions either. I missed a quarter of my senior year in highschool to a teacher strike. If unions can not strike then they have no leverage against the company.

When I talk about educated American workers I am refering to basic skills to read, write and add. Back in the day the company could cheat workers by having them sign documents they could not read or underpaying them because they had no idea what they where supposed to be paid in the first place. That would be real hard in the era of universal public education and a calculator on every cell phone.

The key to American exceptionalism is teaching people real concrete skills that they can market. A 4 year degree will not help most people. An aprentiship or trade school education can ensure success for more people than a BS or BA.

I respectfully couldn't agree less about higher education, because the rest of the world is killing US students in the classroom. US college grads will increasingly be called on to compete with other students at an international level. Most of our country's leaders have at least a four year degree, and many have law degrees. A four year college degree, as it is now, is only a good thing. There are no negative aspects of having one. Not having a four year degree can only be a negative. If somehow we reformed higher education to disclude liberal arts, and teach our doctors without them having take poli sci courses, and teach our engineers with them taking biology courses...I'm all for talking about that...as long as it doesn't affect the global competitiveness of American college grads.

That is what I was getting at. Liberal arts education today is useless. There are no real skill learned by educating that way. There should be more techincal colleges.

Those higher wages I am refering to are the wages that Verizon workers recieve that the market; in the absence of unions; would not or could not support. The CEO receives the pay he gets because Verizon figures the value he brings to the company is worth the cost of his wages.

The top 5 executives salaries aren't passed on to the consumer?

Those higher wages I am refering to are the wages that Verizon workers recieve that the market; in the absence of unions; would not or could not support.

And you still can't see the need for unions?

That is what I was getting at. Liberal arts education today is useless. There are no real skill learned by educating that way. There should be more techincal colleges.
I'm glad I had philosophy courses, and English courses, and poli sci courses in college. In my early career, in corporate sales, it helped me a great deal with being well rounded enough to communicate effectively with a wider group of people, and more accuratly, help me schmooze better.

Don't give any crap about the lineman trying to buy another vehicle... how the fuck do you know? I do know this... since Unionization has been looked down upon, marginalized and virtually busted... prices have not come down...only wages. and that money went directly into the higher ups' pocket and into the corporate coffers. Don't tell me it's UNIONS that are driving costs up... they never went down... that is.. until they OUTSOURCED and got labor rates that NO ONE can compete with here.

But, I guess that's the Conservative's agenda... a continually downward spiral of the working and middle class and increased success of the wealthy.

Don't give any crap about the lineman trying to buy another vehicle... how the fuck do you know? I do know this... since Unionization has been looked down upon, marginalized and virtually busted... prices have not come down...only wages. and that money went directly into the higher ups' pocket and into the corporate coffers. Don't tell me it's UNIONS that are driving costs up... they never went down... that is.. until they OUTSOURCED and got labor rates that NO ONE can compete with here.

But, I guess that's the Conservative's agenda... a continually downward spiral of the working and middle class and increased success of the wealthy.

DING! DING! DING!...we have a winner!!

Firefighters, police and teachers (unless they teach at a private school) are public sector employees.

There are more private sector nursing jobs than public sector.
This Country has the Dept of Labor that covers anything that Unions do.
There is absolutely NO reason that private sector needs to Unionize.

Firefighters, police and teachers are getting paid with tax payer dollars already. It's the outrageous pensions, spikes to those pensions and lifetime full coverage health care insurance that keeps the tax payer on the hook forever.

Example: The Chief of Police in the City I live in currently makes $150k a year, base salary.
If he were to retire today, he would be pulling in $100k plus in pension a year which taxpayers will be paying for until he dies. Not to mention the health insurance coverage for him and his family.
Say he lives to be 80. How much is that in tax dollars for his pension for 30 years?
Say he does retire, but while the City is looking for a new COP, the Chief is retained as an interim COP. He can only work part time per state law. Guess how much he would make a year? $150k!! Half the work making the same money.
So now we have a double dipping COP who makes $250k a year, all paid for by............us taxpayers!
Did I mention he has a High School diploma?

If Unions are really all about safety and fair wages, they don't give a rats butt about the taxpayers.

Isn't most of what unions do now law anyway? Except for holding your hand and taking your dues, what does a modern union do that the individual couldn't do for themselves?
Well...I guess I'm of two minds on the subject. You're right that individual acheivement should be what raises and promotions are based on. On the other hand...a lack of collective bargaining has the potential for the current regulations that protect worker safety and wages to be done away with. We don't want corporations to return to exploiting workers, and unions might keep that from happening. If the US recovers economically, unions wil return, if not, their days are numbered.

OSHA protects workers safety, not some union boss jackass. We have laws now and courts for recourse. The unions are nothing more than legally organized bank robbing thugs. They serve NO PURPOSE, NONE other than to rob workers of their own hard earned money for some bullshit political agenda.

Those that believe in and support unions are fools playing in a rigged poker game.

Unions are protecting the living wage of the Verizon worker against the $280 million the top 5 executives make.

Damn plutocrats, we need to take back our Republic.

the land line side of verizon, which is where 90+% of the union jobs are, is dying. if the unions push this too hard, i wouldn't be surprised if verizon said fuck it and got out of the dial tone biz all together. the wireless side ias what's driving profits and that's 98% non union.

IIRC correctly, teamsters at UPS pushed a strike too far in the 70's with the result that UPS closed a ton of facilities and cut a bunch of union jobs.

I mean clearly Verizon needs to cut salaries and benefits to labor because their paying 17.5 million to the CEO and only recorded profits of 2.5 billion so far this year.

Your ignorance is profound!! Verizon needs to cut the workers salaries?! To do what? To compensate the $55,000/day CEO's fifth house? Or perhaps hire more vendors from New Dehli, Tokyo or elsewhere NOT in the US so we can be subservient to all other nations! That's the new American way I suppose. You ignorant hag! Did you know Verizon not only paid NO TAXES last year but they also received a ONE BILLION DOLLAR REFUND?! They are workers who want to work and do so every single day sometimes up to twelve hours a day and grateful for the employment but to do so at a quarter of their income AND contribute to their benefits AND loose pensions?! That's as if someone came into your home to take physically the left arm and right leg of your child and kill your parents. I mean what the hell?! They have their other limbs and you've been raised by your parents so what further use do you have for them yes?! Try being educated first on the WHOLE issue before you display such ignorance!

the land line side of verizon, which is where 90+% of the union jobs are, is dying. if the unions push this too hard, i wouldn't be surprised if verizon said fuck it and got out of the dial tone biz all together. the wireless side ias what's driving profits and that's 98% non union.

IIRC correctly, teamsters at UPS pushed a strike too far in the 70's with the result that UPS closed a ton of facilities and cut a bunch of union jobs.

And I would laugh my ass off because all those dumbasses will be on unemployment

Your ignorance is profound!! Verizon needs to cut the workers salaries?! To do what? To compensate the $55,000/day CEO's fifth house? Or perhaps hire more vendors from New Dehli, Tokyo or elsewhere NOT in the US so we can be subservient to all other nations! That's the new American way I suppose. You ignorant hag! Did you know Verizon not only paid NO TAXES last year but they also received a ONE BILLION DOLLAR REFUND?! They are workers who want to work and do so every single day sometimes up to twelve hours a day and grateful for the employment but to do so at a quarter of their income AND contribute to their benefits AND loose pensions?! That's as if someone came into your home to take physically the left arm and right leg of your child and kill your parents. I mean what the hell?! They have their other limbs and you've been raised by your parents so what further use do you have for them yes?! Try being educated first on the WHOLE issue before you display such ignorance!

What part of that end of the business they work isnt as profitable are you failing to comprehend? If they dont like it, they are free to seek other employment.

Forum List

Back