Verizon strike what a sorry bunch

Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia
Picking saying they want jobs. Are they not the ones who walked off their jobs. Just be grateful that you have one but there is a lot of people who dont.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUzpX-KxNLg]Yes - Long Distance Runaround - YouTube[/ame]

I just heard on the news the unions strikers cut the lines to phones to the hospitals and other buildings . Of course they are denied it but the Feds are involved. I hope they all go to jail worthless piece of craps!

My dad was a life long member of the UMWA and when I was a kid I used to love to help him make jackrocks to throw on the road.

I used to go to the picket lines with him during strikes.

When he retired and saw what the union done to the mining jobs he regreted every union due he ever paid. The union priced labor out of the market here in WV. Now that the UMWA has lost most of its power the mining jobs are coming back and the pay is very good.

The need for unions is over. They are just a huge money making scheme to keep the union afloat.

In the early 50's the union shot the windows out of my uncles house but of course they didn't man up. They said they didn't do it but his company was the only one in a union negotiation so maybe it was random. Unions are sorry bunch who don't want to work. Can you imagine what a car would cost if the labor was down where the rest of us work. There is not a lot of skill involved in putting hubcaps on Fords.

Picking saying they want jobs. Are they not the ones who walked off their jobs. Just be grateful that you have one but there is a lot of people who dont.
I know a few people who work for Verizon out here in California. They are not unionized. If someone tried to get the unions in, they'd find some way to fire them.

Unions were neccessary at one time when 12 year old kids lost most of their fingers in sweat shops for $1/day. We have enough protections in place now that make many unions obsolete. But I will always think that policemen, nurses, teamsters (if they're driving trucks!), and firefighters should have unions.

I know a few people who work for Verizon out here in California. They are not unionized. If someone tried to get the unions in, they'd find some way to fire them.

Unions were neccessary at one time when 12 year old kids lost most of their fingers in sweat shops for $1/day. We have enough protections in place now that make many unions obsolete. But I will always think that policemen, nurses, teamsters (if they're driving trucks!), and firefighters should have unions.

Isn't most of what unions do now law anyway? Except for holding your hand and taking your dues, what does a modern union do that the individual couldn't do for themselves?

My buddy works for verizon.

They are stricking b/c they don't want to pay for their medical benefits.

right now all they have to pay is a $15 co-pay if they go see a doctor.

considering what obamacare may do to the cost of medical premiums, I can't blame V for wanting them to pony up.

considering what obamacare may do to the cost of medical premiums, I can't blame V for wanting them to pony up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4NWllQGRU]Verizon strike grows hostile - YouTube[/ame]

What fine people who work for Verizon. I hope they fire all their asses and start fresh.. Verizon is trying to get a restraining order because they are going to far

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4NWllQGRU]Verizon strike grows hostile - YouTube[/ame]

What fine people who work for Verizon. I hope they fire all their asses and start fresh.. Verizon is trying to get a restraining order because they are going to far

Keep in mind that Verizon is a very large company. There's bound to be some assholes.

Isn't most of what unions do now law anyway? Except for holding your hand and taking your dues, what does a modern union do that the individual couldn't do for themselves?
Well...I guess I'm of two minds on the subject. You're right that individual acheivement should be what raises and promotions are based on. On the other hand...a lack of collective bargaining has the potential for the current regulations that protect worker safety and wages to be done away with. We don't want corporations to return to exploiting workers, and unions might keep that from happening. If the US recovers economically, unions wil return, if not, their days are numbered.

I live in Georgia. It is at an at will state. You dont do your job your FIRED period. That is the way it should be why get all these chances because your union. People in At will states actually work and try to improve each year so they do get raises. I dont think anyone has a RIGHT to have a job if they dont do the job they were hired to do!!!

Well...I guess I'm of two minds on the subject. You're right that individual acheivement should be what raises and promotions are based on. On the other hand...a lack of collective bargaining has the potential for the current regulations that protect worker safety and wages to be done away with. We don't want corporations to return to exploiting workers, and unions might keep that from happening. If the US recovers economically, unions wil return, if not, their days are numbered.

Never in our history has the American work force been better educated. Its a lot harder to exploit workers who can read and write. Most American workers today feel really self entitled to the wages and safe working condtions we have today.

Unions have no purpose in todays work place. In the mine I work at the WV office of miners health and safety and MSHA are more strict on workers safety than the union my dad worked under ever was.

I live in Georgia. It is at an at will state. You dont do your job your FIRED period. That is the way it should be why get all these chances because your union. People in At will states actually work and try to improve each year so they do get raises. I dont think anyone has a RIGHT to have a job if they dont do the job they were hired to do!!!
I agree, just as long as the wage doesn't descend to Wal-Mart level, and no racial or sexual discrimination is allowed.

What are they complaining about right?

I mean clearly Verizon needs to cut salaries and benefits to labor because their paying 17.5 million to the CEO and only recorded profits of 2.5 billion so far this year.

Those cry-baby middle class Verizon workers...:confused:?

Never in our history has the American work force been better educated. Its a lot harder to exploit workers who can read and write. Most American workers today feel really self entitled to the wages and safe working condtions we have today.

Unions have no purpose in todays work place. In the mine I work at the WV office of miners health and safety and MSHA are more strict on workers safety than the union my dad worked under ever was.
The trend is going away from education in most conservative circles. Many conservatives seem to be saying that 4 years of college is uneccessary, or too expensive for government to provide. I completely agree that Americans have been spoiled by easy prosperity, and that is what we have the potential to lose in this economic decline. Higher education is key to innovation, and innovation is key to American economic exceptionalism.

Do you think firefighters, police, and nurses should have unions?

I mean clearly Verizon needs to cut salaries and benefits to labor because their paying 17.5 million to the CEO and only recorded profits of 2.5 billion so far this year.

Those cry-baby middle class workers recieve wages above the industy average for the same job classification. They recieve a benefits package that would make most American workers cry. Why? Because they belong to a union that takes more from them than they recieve. Who pays? We do because Verizon does not eat those costs they pass them on to consumers.

Those cry-baby middle class workers recieve wages above the industy average for the same job classification. They recieve a benefits package that would make most American workers cry. Why? Because they belong to a union that takes more from them than they recieve. Who pays? We do because Verizon does not eat those costs they pass them on to consumers.

Right, because you've seen the cost of your bills go down as unions have been pushed out.

Why aren't you complaining about the CEO's salary being passed on to you in higher costs? The top 5 executives make over 280 million dollars in salary and stock options, but it's the big, bad wage worker trying to feed his family that’s to blame.

:cuckoo:

The trend is going away from education in most conservative circles. Many conservatives seem to be saying that 4 years of college is uneccessary, or too expensive for government to provide. I completely agree that Americans have been spoiled by easy prosperity, and that is what we have the potential to lose in this economic decline. Higher education is key to innovation, and innovation is key to American economic exceptionalism.

Do you think firefighters, police, and nurses should have unions?

No; firefighters, police and nurses should not be allowed to unionize. The serve the public in very vital roles that we can not allow to be disrupted by strikes. Teachers should not have unions either. I missed a quarter of my senior year in highschool to a teacher strike. If unions can not strike then they have no leverage against the company.

When I talk about educated American workers I am refering to basic skills to read, write and add. Back in the day the company could cheat workers by having them sign documents they could not read or underpaying them because they had no idea what they where supposed to be paid in the first place. That would be real hard in the era of universal public education and a calculator on every cell phone.

The key to American exceptionalism is teaching people real concrete skills that they can market. A 4 year degree will not help most people. An aprentiship or trade school education can ensure success for more people than a BS or BA.

I agree, just as long as the wage doesn't descend to Wal-Mart level, and no racial or sexual discrimination is allowed.
My husband is retired navy and now works for a fortune 500 company. He makes really good money and he gets rewarded for his work. There are guys who have been there alot longer then him and hubby makes more because he does he job well. Of course he was taught to through the military.

Forum List

Back