Vanity fair upset Captain America was not protrayed as a Homo

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Holy crap this world is getting more hilarious day by day...

Is This the One Flaw in the Otherwise Great Captain America: Civil War?

When Captain America: Civil Wardirectors Joe and Anthony Russo went on a publicity tour for the latest installment in Marvel’s Avengersfranchise, they were very careful not to throw cold water on the popular fan theory that Steve “Captian America” Rogers and Bucky “The Winter Soldier” Barnes were more than friends. “People can interpret the relationship however they want to interpret it,” Joe Russo said while visiting China. “People have interpreted that relationship all kinds of ways, and it’s great to see people argue about it what that relationship means to them. We will never define it as filmmakers, explicitly, but however people want to interpret it they can interpret it.”

Even Evans and Stan seemed happy to throw fuel on the Bucky/Steve theories during the publicity tour.

*Snip*

But Marvel seems to think it has to have its heroes in heterosexual love affairs in order to maximize audience appeal. But with the franchise slowly making room for women to be more than girlfriends and sidekicks (seriously, Sharon should have been on that tarmac), a love story just for the sake of some kisses and yearning seems out of place in these spirited adventures. Sure, the Sharon and Steve connection served a narrative purpose. It showed that Cap was finally willing to close the door on Peggy. Something he could never do while his Agent Carter was alive. But, honestly, there was more juice in Bucky ogling Steve’s bulging bicep as Cap struggled to ground a helicopter using only gumption and sinew.

So while Marvel was likely never going to make the homoerotic subtext of Cap and Bucky into text, would it really have hurt to keep their relationship more ambiguous? As if to put the nail in the coffin of speculation, Bucky and Cap paused for a moment in the middle of snowy Siberia to reminisce about their days chasing skirts in pre-War Brooklyn. It’s a sweet, human bonding moment but one that also bristles with heterosexual virility. If Disney isn’t inclined to give audiences a gay superhero, couldn’t they have at least left us the dream of Bucky and Cap?

There will eventually be a backlash from the normal people, and all the homosexual superheroes will be quietly dropped from the newsstands. Gay is a fad right now, but fads don't last. I remember when scooters were everywhere, all over the park, every kid had to have one. And then just as suddenly, scooters were gone. Same thing happened with hulu hoops and mini-vans.

There will eventually be a backlash from the normal people, and all the homosexual superheroes will be quietly dropped from the newsstands. Gay is a fad right now, but fads don't last. I remember when scooters were everywhere, all over the park, every kid had to have one. And then just as suddenly, scooters were gone. Same thing happened with hulu hoops and mini-vans.

Sorry, guy, this is how you it's going to play out.

In 20 years, your grandchildren will come to you and say, "Gee, Pop-pop, is it true back in the day, they used to not let gay people get married and people used religion as an excuse for that." And they will ask it with the same incredulity that kids today ask did we really make black people ride on the back of the bus and drink from separate water fountains.

Here's the reason why Gay rights will win. Unlike minorities, you are very likely to have a gay person staring back at you across the dining room table at Thanksgiving.

For Hollywood, they can't even write straight relationships well, I'm not sure we should give them a shot at gay relationships.

Here's a first step, Hollywood. Sexual tension is not more interesting than actual sex. If I have to watch one more show where you have three seasons of the male and female protagonists circling each other in fake foreplay, I'm going to get very bored with it.

How can you ignore the homoerotic subtext? Bucky comes back with that metal arm perfect for fisting. At the same time Tony Stark creates armor that only covers his fist. It was a big fist off between jealous lovers.Just wait until the Hulk comes back. Trying competing with those fists shoved in Cap's pooper.

Vanity Fair writes a silly and absurd piece knowing damn well it will generate controversy and press. Mission Accomplished.

When Captain America: Civil Wardirectors Joe and Anthony Russo went on a publicity tour for the latest installment in Marvel’s Avengersfranchise, they were very careful not to throw cold water on the popular fan theory that Steve “Captian America” Rogers and Bucky “The Winter Soldier” Barnes were more than friends. “People can interpret the relationship however they want to interpret it,” Joe Russo said while visiting China. “People have interpreted that relationship all kinds of ways, and it’s great to see people argue about it what that relationship means to them. We will never define it as filmmakers, explicitly, but however people want to interpret it they can interpret it.”

But this is nothing new, this goes back to the Golden Age of Comics, where is sometimes seems that the relationship between the superhero and his young side kick was unhealthy.

Batman and Robin
Captain America and Bucky
The Green Arrow and Speedy

I could go on. Those are the three most obvious examples I could cite.

Of course, that wouldn't make the heroes gay, that would make them pedophiles if something sexual was going on.

It's amazing the speed of the plague that is rippling through our culture and society right now.

But why is that?

Maybe because when you strip homophobia down to it's basics, it has two supports.

1) I think it's icky, when it's two dudes. I have no problem when a dude does the same things to a lady, and I'm not really bothered when it's two ladies doing it to each other if they're hot.

2) My imaginary friend in the sky thinks it's wrong. He said so in that book where he also said you should murder your children if they mouth off to you or get laid before they get married.

The reason why homophobia is failing is because those are pretty weak excuses for some pretty shitty behavior.

Nothing could make Captain America braver than declaring he's a woman trapped in a superhero's body.

And ain't no one gonna tell the captain he can't take a dump in the ladies room....

It's amazing the speed of the plague that is rippling through our culture and society right now.

But why is that?

Maybe because when you strip homophobia down to it's basics, it has two supports.

1) I think it's icky, when it's two dudes. I have no problem when a dude does the same things to a lady, and I'm not really bothered when it's two ladies doing it to each other if they're hot.

2) My imaginary friend in the sky thinks it's wrong. He said so in that book where he also said you should murder your children if they mouth off to you or get laid before they get married.

The reason why homophobia is failing is because those are pretty weak excuses for some pretty shitty behavior.

You should go speak to a therapist.

You are right. The practice of shoving gay people in everywhere will get boring then it will stop. There just aren't enough people interested in their love lives.

Chris Evan is surface of the sun hot. Me-fucking-ow!

People would rather see a movie about two men blown to smithereens rather than two men in love.

Forum List

Back