Vandals Drain Water Tanks Meant For Illegals

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GotZoom, Jun 15, 2006.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    HELLO!!!!! ILLEGAL ALLIENS!!!! AGAINST THE LAW!!!! NOT ALLOWED IN THE COUNTRY!!!!! HELLO!!!!

------

"We try to save people from dying from dehydration," said Paula Mich, a volunteer with Humane Borders.

Mich, along with hundreds of other Humane Borders volunteers, travels into the wilderness each day to refill tanks with water meant for the lips of illegal immigrants crossing the border.

Marked with a blue flag, the jugs are placed deep in the desert just outside Tucson in areas where volunteers say the most illegal immigrants have died from dehydration.

"We save lives by doing this," said Humane Borders Volunteer Frank Saavedra. "I don't know how many, but if it's only one it's worth it."

Not everyone agrees with Humane Borders placing water tanks in areas heavily trafficked by illegal immigrants.

Mich says vandals have been coming out to the water stations, pulling the caps off the tanks and dumping the water out into the desert.

The volunteers also say vandals are destroying the blue flags that fly atop 30-foot poles in the middle of the desert -- flags the immigrants look for when seeking out a water station on their journeys.

"Flags have been destroyed, and not in this station but in others. They've put bullet holes [the water tanks]," Mich said.

Mich also says each week Humane Borders finds at least one or more of their 70 water tanks vandalized, an act these volunteers say can kill.

"If they're planning on getting their water at that location and they get there and there's no water, then the next time they could get water could be not before they die," Saavedra said.

Russ Dove, a local immigration activist, says he understands why people trash the tanks.

"The vandal issue is a sign that Americans have had enough," Dove said, "and from observation, I think it's only going to get worse."

Dove says Humane Borders is helping illegal immigrants, some he calls criminals, cross the border safely.

"These are robbers, rapists, murders. This is simply aiding and abetting criminal activity," Dove said.

The volunteers, however, say the border crossers are innocent, crossing in search of a better life.

"We're going to continue to do this regardless of how many empty tanks we find," Mich said. "We're going to continue to do this."

http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=5030576

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Well, it seems to me that if you knowingly help a person commit a criminal act, then you are a criminal too. It also seems to me that if you freely admit to such actions that you could be arrested for said activity...why haven't these folks been arrested?

3. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The volunteers, however, say the border crossers are innocent, crossing in search of a better life.

"We're going to continue to do this regardless of how many empty tanks we find," Mich said. "We're going to continue to do this."

Wasn't there just a round up of around 2000 illegals, half of whom turned out to be child molesters and gang members?????????????????

I'll have to look for the article.

I would say close to 1/2 are not innocent people just looking for work.

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I really have mixed feelings about this. Obviously, we want to decrease illegal immigration. However, destroying water tanks isn't very humane. Then again, it's not like the water tanks are there naturally - really, the vandals are just undoing what the "Humane Borders" people are doing.

5. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Destruction of others' property makes the vandals criminals. Simple enough. Either you agree with the actions of criminals or you don't. As for the illegal immigrants, they're criminals too. Both the vandals and the illegals are the same. Criminals. Do those applauding one criminal over the other have debates on whether murderers or rapists are better than the other?

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    ahhhh It's just an protest, an act of freedom of speech that just got a little outta hand. Maybe they should put a holding cell underneath every blue flag !

7. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Leave it to you.

Geez.

8. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Oh, I'm sorry, did I rain on your little "applaud the criminals" parade?

9. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    A man keeps his wife locked in the basement of the house for month after month. They have no telephone and he doesnt' keep food in the refrigerator; only throw fast food scraps to her every now and then.

One day when he leaves for work, he accidentally leaves the basement door unclocked. She gets out of the house and runs next door for help but no one is home. She breaks into the house and calls 911 for the police to come save her.

She committed a crime. She broke into a house.

Guess she is just as bad as her husband is.

10. CockySOB

CockySOB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Anyone have any solid evidence as to whose land these water stations are on? I've been browsing the Humane Borders website, and nothing is ever said as to whose land the sites are on.

Just curious.