Valerie Jarrett Blasts Republicans from the Pulpit

what the hell is anyone talking about when they declare the USA needs less government?

Do we want higher medical insurance costs and fewer and fewer food inspectors?

Less government = reducing the the size of the USA Government war machine which I assume 75%-90% of USA citizens would support. The war machine is unfriendly.

The financial institution scandals are by no means the only incident of questionable, and actually illegal, financial activity that republicans have been involved in.
The Bush family and the S&L (Savings and Loan) Scandal

The line of questionable, illegal, and unethical businesses practices goes back at least to Republican Prescott Bush Sr., George Bush Sr.’s father and the expensive war machine.

Prescott Bush was a Republican Senator from 1952 – 1963. Previous to his time as a Senator Prescott was a banker and businessman. Prior to the American entry into WWII Prescott Bush was director of Union Banking Corporation. Union Banking Corporation helped to finance Hitler’s regime.

The Concentration Camps of Nazi Germany were labor camps that the Nazis used to make products for their regime as well as for sale to raise money. Prescott profited directly from the Auschwitz labor camp.

In 1942, after Hitler declared war on America the United States government seized the Union Banking Corporation under the Trading with the Enemy Act as a front operation that was supporting the Nazis. Much of the profits from the operation were already pocketed by Prescott however, and $1.5 million was put in a trust fund for George Bush Sr.

For more on Republican Prescott Bush's ties to the Nazis see:
How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to power | World news | The Guardian

Did not stop with the nazi dealings :
Bush Family Values: War, Wealth, Oil
We Arm the World -- In These Times

Republican Party Iran – Contra Secret Weapons Affair:
Walsh Iran / Contra Report - Executive Summary
Sources: Iran-Contra operative linked to questionable spy program - CNN.com

So you're going to keep spamming my thread, huh?

When Newt is saying things like there are more americans on food stamps than any time in USA history it is appropriate to provide some history relating to that matter.

In fact after the Reagan/Bush savings and loan heist record numbers were accessing Social Services,taking Social Security early etc etc etc. Golden agers were out looking for jobs again because their retirement programs went up in smoke. We must try to keep matters fair and balanced.

When I see the Weekly Standard it does raise red flags. I have paid close attention to the Weekly Standard talk show personalities over the years because I learned it was a good idea.

The church participating in voter registration is not a new concept at all. Separation of Church and State I say bring it back however the RINO dominated repub party would not support that IF they too must abide accordingly. Jerry Falwell and his church was heavy into politics and fund raising to campaign against republicans. Brother was Jerry proud and boatsful of his endeavors.

Start your own thread. You're spamming mine. That is not appropriate.

On June 27, 2007, Kevin Drum of The Washington Monthly wrote:

"I think Democrats are smart to expend some effort highlighting Republican obstructionism in the 110th Congress. It's an easy charge to make stick, since it's plainly true, and it has two equally important targets: the press and the public.

The press, for its part, needs to get over its 'both sides are equally at fault' schtick, and the public, for its part, needs to know why nothing seems to be getting done in Congress.

Right now, all they see are headlines telling them that 'Congress Fails to Act' on this, that, and the other. They need to know exactly who's responsible for that."

Whatever people need to know about politics, it shouldn't be delivered from the pulpit in the manner in which Jarrett delivered it ... not if the church wants to retain its tax-exempt status.

Are you suggesting that the people in that congregation are so out of touch with meaningful news sources that they wouldn't learn about important political facts if they didn't hear it on Sunday?

I don't think that the rules regarding tax-exempt status and political speech are being accurately portrayed in this thread:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-07-41.pdf

In short, blasting Republicans seems fine as long as she didn't urge people to vote for Obama. And even if she did, it's not clear that the church could be held responsible for her words.

I agree that it is somewhat unseemly to mix religion and politics too closely. That being said, I don't think that religion has no role to play in politics. Religion is an important source of both morality and culture, and neither should be divorced from the political process. I just wish people who resorted to overtly religious political arguments happened to agree with me more often.

what the hell is anyone talking about when they declare the USA needs less government?

Less government = reducing the the size of the USA Government war machine which I assume 75%-90% of USA citizens would support. The war machine is unfriendly.

The financial institution scandals are by no means the only incident of questionable, and actually illegal, financial activity that republicans have been involved in.

The line of questionable, illegal, and unethical businesses practices goes back at least to Republican Prescott Bush Sr., George Bush Sr.’s father and the expensive war machine.

Prescott Bush was a Republican Senator from 1952 – 1963. Previous to his time as a Senator Prescott was a banker and businessman. Prior to the American entry into WWII Prescott Bush was director of Union Banking Corporation. Union Banking Corporation helped to finance Hitler’s regime.

The Concentration Camps of Nazi Germany were labor camps that the Nazis used to make products for their regime as well as for sale to raise money. Prescott profited directly from the Auschwitz labor camp.

In 1942, after Hitler declared war on America the United States government seized the Union Banking Corporation under the Trading with the Enemy Act as a front operation that was supporting the Nazis. Much of the profits from the operation were already pocketed by Prescott however, and $1.5 million was put in a trust fund for George Bush Sr.

How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to power | World news | The Guardian

When Newt is saying things like there are more americans on food stamps than any time in USA history it is appropriate to provide some history relating to that matter.

In fact after the Reagan/Bush savings and loan heist record numbers were accessing Social Services,taking Social Security early etc etc etc. Golden agers were out looking for jobs again because their retirement programs went up in smoke. We must try to keep matters fair and balanced.

When I see the Weekly Standard it does raise red flags. I have paid close attention to the Weekly Standard talk show personalities over the years because I learned it was a good idea.

The church participating in voter registration is not a new concept at all. Separation of Church and State I say bring it back however the RINO dominated repub party would not support that IF they too must abide accordingly. Jerry Falwell and his church was heavy into politics and fund raising to campaign against republicans. Brother was Jerry proud and boatsful of his endeavors.

What the hell does Newt Gingrich have to do with Ms Jarrett giving a political campaign speech in a church? Please stay on topic or go away.

not even close to 75%. Most Americans Favor a Strong National Defense.

They don't favor the occupation of the oil rich countries no way jose'

Most people support a strong national defense but NOT abuse of military power.

Not going to argue with that, but the idea of Gutting our National Defense is not a popular one.

VJ is panicking beyond belief. This is interesting that they have her out there on the pulpit bandwagon this many months ahead of our final pick.

This shit is too early. Means their internal polling data is way worse than what we are seeing. I love it. I'm still clearing my plate but I'm already getting a thump thump in my heart and the scent to kill.

I'm getting ready to go for a bay. I love this.

Thanks Amelia.

VJ is panicking beyond belief. This is interesting that they have her out there on the pulpit bandwagon this many months ahead of our final pick.

This shit is too early. Means their internal polling data is way worse than what we are seeing. I love it. I'm still clearing my plate but I'm already getting a thump thump in my heart and the scent to kill.

I'm getting ready to go for a bay. I love this.

Thanks Amelia.

Shocking internal polling might explain the timing of Jarrett's speech. My money is on MLK day, though.

Lets see politics preached from the pulpit of a predominately white church in favor of a Republican.
Then see how long they stay tax exempt
:rolleyes:

No church that packed up their congregations to hold up signs on the streets for prop H8 lost their exemption.

Not for lack of trying by those who want to stifle free speech.

She was "Candidate #1" on the Blago tapes and Fitzy tipped her off they were monitoring Blago, so she suddenly decided she wasn't interested in running for Obama's Senate seat and took a job at the WH

.... the ban by Congress is on political campaign activity regarding a candidate; churches and other 501(c)(3) organizations can engage in a limited amount of lobbying (including ballot measures) and advocate for or against issues that are in the political arena. The IRS also has provided guidance regarding the difference between advocating for a candidate and advocating for legislation. ....

IRS: Charities, Churches and Politics

thread_hijack_in_progress_cnn.jpg

Lets see politics preached from the pulpit of a predominately white church in favor of a Republican.
Then see how long they stay tax exempt
:rolleyes:

No church that packed up their congregations to hold up signs on the streets for prop H8 lost their exemption.

I love how Black churches are free to preach politics from the pulpit. Encourage and demand members vote for whom the church supports and all is fine with liberals. But let a Christian Organization endorse or support a Republican and suddenly we are bombarded with how the candidate supported is to religious, to dogmatic and beholden to religion.

With prop 8 we had thread after thread here demanding that churches be stripped of their status for having an opinion. I do not recall ANY church allowing a Republican member of the executive to give political speeches from their pulpits. I don't recall any Republican Admin asking to do so.

I love how Black churches are free to preach politics from the pulpit. Encourage and demand members vote for whom the church supports and all is fine with liberals. But let a Christian Organization endorse or support a Republican and suddenly we are bombarded with how the candidate supported is to religious, to dogmatic and beholden to religion.

With prop 8 we had thread after thread here demanding that churches be stripped of their status for having an opinion. I do not recall ANY church allowing a Republican member of the executive to give political speeches from their pulpits. I don't recall any Republican Admin asking to do so.

I'm not aware of it either. However, even if they did it wouldn't necessarily violate IRS guidelines. A "limited amount" of issue advocacy is allowed. Campaigning for or against a person is the big no-no.

I think you'll find that most Black churches are Christian organizations, and some of them do support Republican initiatives (actually endorsing a candidate does seem to be incompatible with a church's tax-exempt status).

And if you don't remember Republican executives giving speeches with political implications at churches then you have either a poor memory or a very pliable definition of the political. I daresay not an election season goes by without members of both parties making speeches at churches that they would not make if they weren't campaigning. See, for example, GWB's 1999 speech in which he pledged to give churches preference over federal agencies in performing governmental functions Charity Begins at Church, Gov. Bush Says - Los Angeles Times
That's just one example. Then-Governor and soon-to-be President Bush didn't say "vote for Bush", but it would seem bizarre to say that a speech he gave in the middle of a campaign describing how he would govern if elected wasn't political.

I think you'll find that most Black churches are Christian organizations, and some of them do support Republican initiatives (actually endorsing a candidate does seem to be incompatible with a church's tax-exempt status).

And if you don't remember Republican executives giving speeches with political implications at churches then you have either a poor memory or a very pliable definition of the political. I daresay not an election season goes by without members of both parties making speeches at churches that they would not make if they weren't campaigning. See, for example, GWB's 1999 speech in which he pledged to give churches preference over federal agencies in performing governmental functions Charity Begins at Church, Gov. Bush Says - Los Angeles Times
That's just one example. Then-Governor and soon-to-be President Bush didn't say "vote for Bush", but it would seem bizarre to say that a speech he gave in the middle of a campaign describing how he would govern if elected wasn't political.

Was the speech given AT a church in the pulpit to the members? If not and since no specific church was involved you haven't a point at all. Par for the course, make shit up as you go along, kinda like how you admit Obama spending money twice as fast as Bush is just fine with you.

Was the speech given AT a church in the pulpit to the members? If not and since no specific church was involved you haven't a point at all. Par for the course, make shit up as you go along, kinda like how you admit Obama spending money twice as fast as Bush is just fine with you.

Well, I wasn't there, but the news article I cited said "at a church". I don't care too much whether a pulpit was involved-- not all faiths have pulpits, and I can't imagine it makes a legal difference.

If pulpit-ness is that important to you and you really believe that no Republican executive has made a political speech at one, let me know and I'll see if I can prove you wrong.

Par for the course, make shit up as you go along, kinda like how you admit Obama spending money twice as fast as Bush is just fine with you.

What exactly have I made up? I believe I've cited all my claims of fact in dispute. In contrast, you've cited none of yours (in a contemporaneous thread) and haven't defended those that I've disputed.

And please let me know where I admitted that Obama spending money twice as fast as Bush is fine with me. He's not (File:Revenue and Expense to GDP Chart 1993 - 2008.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and it wouldn't be.

Suggesting that I admitted a claim of yours I didn't specifically contest is a bit presumptuous at the best of times. Moreso when I labeled your post as a whole largely false.

Forum List

Back