60 years ago, Alabama church bombing killed 4 girls and catalyzed a movement

yeah. you are busy making america great again, like in the time period where bombing churches to kill darkies was considered cool. but donald talk about it, duck.
Get your head out of our past...

He/she was killed by Police. Her/his motive remains unclear because the authorities refuse to tell us what the manifest contains. It seems ridiculous because the first thing the authorities did was release the manifest that proved the Jacksonville, Florida shooter was racist.

One of the issues that is often forgotten is the complete lack of effort on the part of law enforcement (at all levels) where the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing. No one was brought up on charges for 14 years, until Bill Baxley took office. The FBI refused to give him case files.

One of the issues that is often forgotten is the complete lack of effort on the part of law enforcement (at all levels) where the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing. No one was brought up on charges for 14 years, until Bill Baxley took office. The FBI refused to give him case files.
14 years. Justice for black folks wasn't a priority back then and it still isn't one today. I'm white, I don't know how I would feel knowing that about my country.

14 years. Justice for black folks wasn't a priority back then and it still isn't one today. I'm white, I don't know how I would feel knowing that about my country.
F1kTq7OWwAA86Sf.png

Yes, it was a huge deal. And still is. 4 young girls were murdered by ignorant racists who fought to keep all blacks from being able to vote.

And the system protected these murderous rednecks for years. The first time any of them went to trial was in 1977. And that was only because the AG, Bill Baxley, went after them with a passion. And he nailed the perps in that crime and pissed off the kkk. Baxley is a great man.
After being elected Attorney General of Alabama in 1970, 29-year-old Bill Baxley (pictured above) reopened the 16th Street Church bombing case that involved the deaths of four young African-American girls who died when their church was firebombed in 1963. The initial investigation ended without a conviction but Baxley vowed to find and punish the men who took the four girl’s lives.
His steadfast commitment to the case drew the ire of segregationists and white supremacist Edward R. Fields— founder of the “National States’ Rights Party” and “Grand Dragon” of the New Order Knights of the Ku Klux Klan–sent him a threatening letter for his efforts, according to the History Channel.
The young Attorney General sent Fields a succinct reply on state letterhead:
1694988759929.png

https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2017/08/baxley_KKK_letter_fb.jpg?fit=1200,628

Last edited:
After being elected Attorney General of Alabama in 1970, 29-year-old Bill Baxley (pictured above) reopened the 16th Street Church bombing case that involved the deaths of four young African-American girls who died when their church was firebombed in 1963. The initial investigation ended without a conviction but Baxley vowed to find and punish the men who took the four girl’s lives.
His steadfast commitment to the case drew the ire of segregationists and white supremacist Edward R. Fields— founder of the “National States’ Rights Party” and “Grand Dragon” of the New Order Knights of the Ku Klux Klan–sent him a threatening letter for his efforts, according to the History Channel.
The young Attorney General sent Fields a succinct reply on state letterhead:
View attachment 830633

https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2017/08/baxley_KKK_letter_fb.jpg?fit=1200,628

I love that the letter above is safely stored in the Alabama State Archives. Baxley did a helluva job.

Forum List

Back