VA Teacher Shot by Student Files $40 Million Dollar Lawsuit

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
This is the way and it must happen. We have too many extreme and violent behaviors in school that we shrug off. Hopefully, the dollar signs will make admin FINALLY sit up and take notice, since injuries of students and staff don't seem to matter.

Almost three months after Virginia teacher Abigail Zwerner was shot by a 6-year-old student, she filed a $40 million lawsuit Monday alleging school administrators shrugged off multiple warnings from staff and students who believed the boy had a gun and posed an imminent threat on the day of the shooting, and did so knowing the child "had a history of random violence."

The Jan. 6 shooting of Zwerner at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News stunned the country as police announced the child's actions were intentional. The student shot her with a 9 mm handgun while she sat at a reading table in their first-grade classroom, according to officials.

The injured educator's complaint, filed in the Newport News Circuit Court, says Richneck Assistant Principal Ebony Parker chose to "breach her assumed duty" to protect Zwerner, "despite multiple reports that a firearm was on school property and likely in possession of a violent individual."

Funny how the OP never actually says anything about education other than that she is desperate to quit.

Only hundreds of times right here.

No, dear. Me telling the truth of me teaching in the public schools--something you don't do, obviously--is not me saying I want to quit. If I wanted to quit, I would.

Going on 30 years now. Funny how YOU never actually post anything about teaching - like I have.

What you mean the hero stories? Every teacher of 30 years has positive stories, or should. They should be a given.

But really this is also a problem in teaching going forward. We are not seen as being fairly compensated for a job we do--because we should be heroes. We should volunteer our time after school because it's "for the kids". And before school, same. I did that, lived that, for decades. Now, with things exponentially more difficult and schools taking on more and more, it's unsustainable and unfair.

But you just want all glowing reports and hero stories. This is the milieu of first year teachers and/or people who do not actually teach.

Perhaps you lack the courage of your convictions.

As near as I can gather, you monitor a study hall during the day and teach night school.

Night school: students who either want or are remediated to be there.

Forum List

Back