VA nurses laughed while WWII vet died

waltky

Wise ol' monkey
Feb 6, 2011
Okolona, KY
Two nurses lost their licenses...
eek.gif

Video Shows Nurses Laughing as World War II Veteran Dies
18 Nov 2017 - The Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation Center fought for three years to keep the video secret.
Two nurses lost their licenses after a television station persuaded courts to unseal a video secretly recorded by the family of a man who died in their care. The video shows the World War II veteran repeatedly calling for help, saying he can't breathe. It also shows the nurses failing to take life-saving measures and laughing as they try to start an oxygen machine.

The family of 89-year-old James Dempsey of Woodstock, Georgia, sued the Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation Center in 2014. Dempsey's family declined to comment, citing a settlement with the nursing home, the station said. A statement from the center says care has improved since then, under different leadership.
[/I]
georgiaboard111817-ts600.jpg

The Georgia Board of Nursing in Macon, Ga. It received a link to a video from WXIA-TV that showed nurses laughing and failing to take life-saving measures as World War II veteran James Dempsey called for help.
But WXIA-TV said the nurses didn't surrender their licenses until this September, after it sent The Georgia Board of Nursing a link to the video the nursing home fought three years to keep secret. The nurses included a nursing supervisor who told attorneys that, when she learned Dempsey had stopped breathing, she rushed to his room and took over CPR, keeping it up until paramedics arrived. The video shows that nobody was doing CPR when she arrived, and she did not start immediately.

After being shown the video, she told the attorneys it was an honest mistake, based on her normal actions, the station reported. WXIA said records showed continued problems, including $813,000 in Medicare fines since 2015. It said the nursing home got a good inspection report in May, but still has Medicare's lowest score, a one-star rating.

Video Shows Nurses Laughing as World War II Veteran Dies | Military.com

Two nurses lost their licenses...
eek.gif

Video Shows Nurses Laughing as World War II Veteran Dies
18 Nov 2017 - The Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation Center fought for three years to keep the video secret.
Two nurses lost their licenses after a television station persuaded courts to unseal a video secretly recorded by the family of a man who died in their care. The video shows the World War II veteran repeatedly calling for help, saying he can't breathe. It also shows the nurses failing to take life-saving measures and laughing as they try to start an oxygen machine.

The family of 89-year-old James Dempsey of Woodstock, Georgia, sued the Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation Center in 2014. Dempsey's family declined to comment, citing a settlement with the nursing home, the station said. A statement from the center says care has improved since then, under different leadership.
[/I]
georgiaboard111817-ts600.jpg

The Georgia Board of Nursing in Macon, Ga. It received a link to a video from WXIA-TV that showed nurses laughing and failing to take life-saving measures as World War II veteran James Dempsey called for help.
But WXIA-TV said the nurses didn't surrender their licenses until this September, after it sent The Georgia Board of Nursing a link to the video the nursing home fought three years to keep secret. The nurses included a nursing supervisor who told attorneys that, when she learned Dempsey had stopped breathing, she rushed to his room and took over CPR, keeping it up until paramedics arrived. The video shows that nobody was doing CPR when she arrived, and she did not start immediately.

After being shown the video, she told the attorneys it was an honest mistake, based on her normal actions, the station reported. WXIA said records showed continued problems, including $813,000 in Medicare fines since 2015. It said the nursing home got a good inspection report in May, but still has Medicare's lowest score, a one-star rating.

Video Shows Nurses Laughing as World War II Veteran Dies | Military.com

This is a problem with society in general, everyone (well not everyone, but you know?) is only concerned with their own shit, making money and doing the least amount of work to get there.

The right will complain about such a thing, demanding their nursing staff be uber-professional, and then support the rich as they screw everyone over.

Strong word of advice....don't send a loved one to a nursing home. The care just isn't there.

Strong word of advice....don't send a loved one to a nursing home. The care just isn't there.
You're right.

I live in a retirement community where a large number of individuals in their late eighties and early nineties are absolutely determined to live out their years to the best of their abilities alone in their condominiums, relying on occasional visits by relatives and/or $25 per-hour home helpers rather than go to live in a nursing home. This is because they know what those places are like.

The only nursing homes which live up to what should be expected of them are very expensive (starting at around $100,000 a year). Their employees, from the on-staff physicians and nurses to the house-cleaning and kitchen staffs, are well-paid compared with those at average (ordinary) nursing homes where residents needs are ignored and they often are mistreated.

Personally, I would rather die than live in an ordinary nursing home where life is a dismal day-to-day ordeal. I went to visit an old friend in an ordinary nursing home a few years ago and he told me that at least half the residents there (he called them "inmates") would like nothing better than painless euthanasia. He died last year and his daughter said she thinks he committed suicide by saving up sleeping pills. I later heard that is not at all uncommon in those places.

Another neighbor of mine told me someone she knows who lives in an ordinary nursing home said the place "smells like shit" because those residents who are unable to move back and forth to the toilet do it in their beds and if they don't have enough cash to tip an orderly they lay in it for days.

Again, I'd rather die than live like that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back