USMB Improvement Thread

I don't if this will help ... probably won't ... but as a relative outsider, who has just looked at a few threads, in response to an email from the owner ...

Most of the threads seem to have the same structure: there will be an interesting or provocative piece to start with, followed by a long exchange of banal personal insults among members. No doubt fun for them (else why would they do it?) but really really BORING for anyone else. You learn nothing from them.

Perhaps it would be helpful to look at other discussion boards with a similar purpose, and see if there is anything to be learned from them. I think you would see that many suffer from the same problem, although not always to the same degree.

I happen to know of one discussion forum, ostensibly for Political Conservatives but with about an equal number of conservatives and liberals taking part, which is really excellent. Personal verbal attacks almost never happen -- and the reason is, any post which anyone finds objectionable can be "flagged," the owner has a look, and if it is indeed an attack on a person, rather than their ideas, the attacker is warned. It almost never, according to the owner, has to go any further.

Very rarely, a really snotty Lefty who thinks he has stumbled onto a freak show ("intelligent conservatives? the very idea! I'll show 'em") jumps in and tries to blow things up. But that is rare.

So on this thread, we have had some really good discussions, on the foundations of conservatism -- Edmund Burke and social change -- on the intellectual weaknesses, or not, of American conservatism -- on the mutation of liberalism in the late 60s -- on the "canon" and multiculturalism -- and of course on Iraq and terrorism abd the nature of Islam. And many other things, especially good books (it being an inherently book-oriented site we are part of). The site has attracted a number of professors, and an equal number of serving military men, and several pastors. (The latter two categories lean to the conservative side and the first one probably has a slight majority of liberals.)

Anyway, maybe if the administrator here announced a new "No Personal Attacks" policy, and became ruthless in pruning people who could not control themselves, the board would start attracting people who are not interested in reading endless playground-level tit-for-tat exchanges of insults.

There are many subjects which are both interesting and vital to discuss: poverty and inequality in the US; the national health care plans that are going to be proposed soon; what to do in Afghanistan; and what to do in Iraq. Plus racial preferences, gay marriage and the state of the family in general; globalization and third-world poverty; crime and punishment.

But it's pointless for anyone to spend a bit of time crafting an interesting post on any of these subjects, if the thread degenerates into a slanging match.

That's a good point. We may need some internal contrast in the moderating ranks, as well.

Maybe a moderate voice, a conservative voice and a liberal voice each with mod responsibilities?

Just stopping by because I got an email asking me to...

The biggest problem I ran into here (aside from the non-stop spamming of the board by redstatesrule) was long-established members being incapable of discerning trolling from debate. If you didn't lock-step with the majority conservative view around here... you were a troll. And, if your liberal post dared to have even half the vitriol some of the conservative posters put in theirs, you were immediately chastised, had your post altered and warned that your account would be deleted for further "outbursts."

The only liberal views allowed here are the apologist, "Alan Colmes"-esque, borderline-conservative ones... all others are "trolls."

So, I left. You'd think a guy in his 20th year in the USAR would feel more welcome at U.S. Message Board. Maybe that's changed... who knows... if it has, let me know and I'd love to come back and be the liberal voice of reason.

Hey, got the email, and thanks for sending it!
Shortly after joining USMB life decided I needed more on my plate and before I knew it I clean forgot about USMB.

I gotta tell you, the board appearance you have going now is outstanding! The USMB banner is a work of art and the old fashioned color scheme harkens back to the day when decency and the American standards of culture and societal behavior was not questioned; when men were men, women were women and the American voice was known to mean what it said.

Ways to improve? Well, keep in mind that I am more a newbie to the board, but here is what I see that could make the reading better and could bring more quality to the discussion.

The size of signatures certainly needs some restrictions. I see signatures that are the size of flippin posters; are they to be signatures or are they supposed to be huge side-topics within threads? Very distracting and unnecessary.

Speaking of days when standards of conduct were understood, I'd suggest a tightening on the foul language rule. There's no such thing as Tourette's Syndrome at the keyboard. Discipline, restraint and courtesy are good things, disrespecting gentlemen, ladies and children is not something to be proud of and it is also never intended to be protected as "free speech" and was seen as something that, when done in public, would bring legal consternation upon the violator in the days when the Bill of Rights were penned. A good contributor of the board would know and understand this and would have no problem cooperating with the concept of making the site more open to citizens who prefer to guard their minds and the minds of their children.

Hey, the place looks wonderful, you have really done some serious work around here! :clap2:

Cool idea; if we only had a larger staff to manage that....

get more staff to accomodate the suggestion... and get more staff representing a broad spectrum of political views, too...

hmmmm, that could be misconstrued as a slight on your staff... let me assure you that it is not... I post on a lot of boards, and I can tell you that the sites with partisan mods, be they right or left, aren't that much fun to post at... IMO, sites with partisan mods, suck...

Hmmm... other suggestions to improve the site?

more forums? more devil head smilies?
devil-smiley-009.gif

wild parties?

food?

$?

devil-smiley-083.gif

Sorry, not my problem to solve. I was just highlighting what I think is a major problem for the board owner and administrators. I know trolls, spammers & co. have First Amendment rights, but they are a major reason people don’t tune in anymore. There used to be thousands of posts on this board every day; now it is down to a few hundred. If and when someone comes up with a solution for handling spammers, trolls & co., attracting others won’t be such a problem.

IF you do come up with a solution for handling spammers and trolls, do please make it public. I'm a site admin for a small board and it seems that my sole job is that of janitor... :eusa_naughty: I sweep out the trash on a daily basis...

yes, even the days I don't actively engage my opposition (see my pep talk) on forums...

How about larger avatars?

and whoever it was that suggested no personal insults... good idea... nothing sours a good conversation more than bozoes clowning around... now, I do realize that I am not not without blood on my claws in this regard, but I only return what is given me.

IF there were admonishments and time outs given to BOTH sides equally, that could help to bring in more posters.

is that your perogative or a requirement? Can I enjoy as much while you choose such or may I demand as much?

big difference, i'd say. and Ironic that ole RGS would assume his rights to free speech here while defending the perogative of the owner elsewhere. It's almost like he switches gears according to how close to home the missle drops, no?

Hell, I'm all for no censorship too.. yet..

Funny, I do not recall claiming I had any rights here. I pointed out that censorship would occur , right or not, that IS what was suggested. RSR is a perfect example... He was accused of spamming and such by none other then truthmatters, who posted EXACTLY like RSR. And the response? Her supporters all insisted while she was similar it just wasn't the same cause, well cause.

which...

is well within the rights of the owner of this private board...

right?

is that what happened to RSR? I wasnt here for that.

which...

is well within the rights of the owner of this private board...

right?

is that what happened to RSR? I wasnt here for that.

A private board can do what ever the owner wants it to do. Doesn't change the fact that if they chose censorship, that somehow it isn't censorship.

no more than if you threw me out of your house for calling your wife a putrid whore....

now, I wasn't here for the demise of RSR and I tend to agree with you about being able to say what ever it is you want to say...

however, ill remind you of the advice that a lot of right wingers used to give people like me before I was banned last year: if you dont like it then start your own board.

testing
chunt cuhnt cunnt ccunt cuunt cuntt

no more than if you threw me out of your house for calling your wife a putrid whore....

now, I wasn't here for the demise of RSR and I tend to agree with you about being able to say what ever it is you want to say...

however, ill remind you of the advice that a lot of right wingers used to give people like me before I was banned last year: if you dont like it then start your own board.

testing
chunt cuhnt cunnt ccunt cuunt cuntt

Careful now that word is simply to "offensive" to use. Now ****** and a few other choice words are NOT censored at all of course.

oh I know. and, like I said, I agreed with you on that thread.

it's not as if we are all totally civil to each other to require a single word be banned anyway. Hell, banning words don't remove the conviction behind them anyway.

but.. until we can appeal to the powers that be such is the way of the gun.

I hope you are having a great day, RGS!

George...PM me with what magic fairy potion you'd use to generate 50-75 new (non-spam) members per day. I'll do it.

We average about 2 legit new members per day. We average about 30 new spam members per day.

Hidden within your post are some excellent points...

Scooter..I apologize for coming off as.."wanting to be removed from this thread"..(e-mail wise).

I did not mean that..per say..:)

I suppose I meant without using words..That the feedback to your post did not surprise me none,so why even write a speech giving my opinion/thoughts on the matter.

Your post is looking for some serious feed-back..I gave my thoughts on the matter..Nothing more.

I'm not against anybody here,nor have any bad feelings whatsoever against ANYONE who participates at this board.

I guess I look at things..from the first day I came back to this place,and compare it to the present..(Now).

Yes..I believe traffic is a critical factor to get things rolling again.

Since this board was sold...There has NOT been alot of new blood here..It's mostly regs jumping back between a couple boards...It was that then..and it's that now..This has been going on for months..I don't think much feedback from the regs...is gona pull the rabit out of the hat...It's been a grey rain cloud floating above this place for a long time.(many months)

I don't blame the regs..for how the board operates..They are just regular visitors...They don't have a clue how to advertise,gather traffic..let alone market something.So feedback from them is not surprising..when the operation of a website is beyond there understanding.

There is an awful lot to this game.

So it's not surprising avatars,moderation squables..and voting for best post of the week is all they can offer.Who's the #1 poster etc....

I know it's great to make everybody feel good,important..make them want to return to the site etc...To make them feel there voice is being heard..and appreciated.

The regs do play an important part...when you look for there feedback to market a better board for them.

The issue of bringing this place to the next level...is advertising...That's the only problem I see.

You need more traffic.

You can all debate this topic till you're blue in the face....This place needs fresh blood.

The regs have done an outstanding job here...I am not knocking them in anyway.

Scott...I don't use fairy tale positions...Hahahahaha..:)

I'm pretty good at what I do...(smile)..We're in different fields out here.(webmasters)..but the rules are the same when it comes to any kind of website..Make a site marketable,informational,intense...and let the dogs of war bring in some traffic...:)

I'll think on some ideas..maybe send them along your way.

Creek

I am guilty of being absent from here to the tune of 175K posts or so. I sail a broad stretch of the WWWmos.

Much to the discomfort of a target of opportunity here enrolled, I have come out blazing. I have little use for ditto-heads and Rush-sheviks.

I believe in strong positions and edgy opinions and I have little regard for name callers (Yes, I seem to be guilty of that above.) and uninformed drivel.

Some here know me as LB from other forums. I first came here because of some reference they made re: this site. That other site has a brilliant core of submitters who cross a broad swath of social, religious and political opinion. They are a supremely international and world savvy group. The only reservation I have about that site is that it is heavy into online gambling. I have never criticized that and I have never participated in the product. I do have sites that I have created but I have not promoted them. They are WIPs.

I have not fully analyzed the content here but it seems to me that the blogs that are registered would be able to stimulate an up tic in activity. I have also been attempting to get in tune with the web2.0 concept, but that seems to be still struggling.

I keep two online sites up for my reprographic parts and supply biz, but even that is in a slump now. My big clients were real estate oriented and that has been problematic.

There is however no shortage of opinions. With the coming regime change in DC, there will be a renewed stream of the out of office sewage spewers. (You know who you are.)

I like ideas and solutions. I dislike what is usually presented as such in insult and name calling.

So. Take a shot at me if you so choose, but be prepared for a fulsome counter volley.

Anyone here celebrating the 50th anniversary of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"?

You should add Party or political philosophical specific boards, like Conservative board for conservatives ONLY, Liberal for liberals only etc.

Do you have any evidence or experience that this would be a good idea. It would be like a gated community or private steam room wouldn't it. Where is the problem solving and the sharing in something like that?

If you like to hear nothing that would challenge your limitations, then such an arrangement would be a good place to hide.

Did you really give that a lot of thought?

I AM

Do you have any evidence or experience that this would be a good idea. It would be like a gated community or private steam room wouldn't it. Where is the problem solving and the sharing in something like that?

If you like to hear nothing that would challenge your limitations, then such an arrangement would be a good place to hide.

Did you really give that a lot of thought?

I AM

All true, but it gives them a place where they can high five each other and they can call everyone else names. ;)

Forum List

Back