USMB Improvement Thread

Scooter

Dec 22, 2006
Please suggest changes you think would bring USMB to the "next level".

Get creative!

Oh, and an apology to everyone receiving an email addressing them as a number.

My bad!

:redface:

First of all, you should get more interactive.

For example, a language award....similar to the JREF foundation forum. Anyone at anytime can nominate a specific post (other than your own) throughout a given month for the "language award" by pasting the post in the award forum. All the nominee's can be reviewed by mods and then cut down to like 7 or something. Then whoever gets the most votes out of those 7, wins the language award for best, most original, intelligent, and strong post of that month.

That would create an incentive to sign on and post something of substance. I know alot of people are being turned away from USMB due to trolls, spammers, or just plain idiots. So with the language award, the mods and the people can exploit some of the highlights and/or intelligent posters on this board, while at the same time....proving that the rep point system is not the only way to gain respect on this board, and that it has nothing to do with actual knowledge of the world around us.

You could call it like the "flat earth award" or something ironic.

ps. this method also works for "worst post" awards as well.

First of all, you should get more interactive.

For example, a language award....similar to the JREF foundation forum. Anyone at anytime can nominate a specific post (other than your own) throughout a given month for the "language award" by pasting the post in the award forum. All the nominee's can be reviewed by mods and then cut down to like 7 or something. Then whoever gets the most votes out of those 7, wins the language award for best, most original, intelligent, and strong post of that month.

That would create an incentive to sign on and post something of substance. I know alot of people are being turned away from USMB due to trolls, spammers, or just plain idiots. So with the language award, the mods and the people can exploit some of the highlights and/or intelligent posters on this board, while at the same time....proving that the rep point system is not the only way to gain respect on this board, and that it has nothing to do with actual knowledge of the world around us.

You could call it like the "flat earth award" or something ironic.

ps. this method also works for "worst post" awards as well.

Cool idea; if we only had a larger staff to manage that....

To ask how USMB could improve?..is one hell of a question.:)

Improve in what ways?

What do you mean..by take it to the next step?

I'm speaking for myself..and what I observe when I visit the board.

Interaction is great among the regulars here..They do a great job from my point of view...They participate,share opinions..and debate.

It's the regulars that keep this place alive...

So any next level talk is just that.

If a majority of die hard regs left the board for good...say 30 of them as an example.

Would the board recoop in a few months of time...losing there participation?

If the answer is "no"..and it would hurt/cripple the board.

Then how could voting for best posts..or posters..or giving rank to a post among the majority here,who keep the place going...Bring it to a next level?

When dealing with a message board..massive fresh participation is the best blood for it.

You can all blow up balloons for the kids..and offer travel mugs for the adults..while voting for best posts,participation..rank for who's..who.

Ya can spice it up...but for a website,or a board to go to the next level..is up to who runs the show.

The regs keep the place alive..but whatever way you spice it up..without some good fresh traffic..is a show among yourself.

When I look who has visited the board..when I do sneak in to see what's up..It's pretty much the same regs/members.

I don't expect to see new faces..or new comebacks..It's more of a hang out.."without" fresh traffic/new faces.

So your question I take..is how to bring things to the next level among all of us?..I've been on & off for 2-3-4 months now..I post here..:)

My opinion is...It's a traffic issue..(fresh traffic)..The regs are as valuable..as the fresh traffic you need for this this place...but ya can't ..well.....Hmmm..How can I say this best..without pissing anybody off?

I'll just say this to the (owner)..do whatever it takes to make people join up,participate..and interact..Your regs are not gona accomplish that...That's your job to orchestrate the show.

I just know from personal experience..and the know-how I have now..that one does not work,build..or cator to them..unless ya got some kind of recurring membership going..that adds up to a buck.

I'm not knocking anybody..Got an e-mail asking for my opinion..and ya got one.

You can make this place the Honey Comb Hide-Out..because that's just what it is..without fresh traffic..and new members each day.

Outdo the regs with fresh members..get the snowball fight going.

The feed-back to this post..is that of the regs.

Bring it to the next level?

I find it admirable that you ask everyone to put there heads together...(smile)..That kinda crap might work at an AA Meeting..or at summer camp for a 12 year old.

But for a U.S. Message Board...to bring things to the next level..should be taken as serious,as the name this site has.

It's a U.S. MESSAGE BOARD.....The name represents that.

It don't feel that way...Not to me.

Add a chatroom?.......Sheeeeit..That's what it is!!....Sure aint a U.S. Chatroom though.

Bring it to the next level?

The only way to do that..is do stuff behind the scenes to make that possible..That answer don't lay with the regs,new visitors..me..or the mods.

This site needs serious traffic...because in a year from now..It'll be pretty much the same dam crowd reading my posts.

I'll help blow up balloons..I'm great for moral support...(smile).

The bottom line...usmessageboard.com is a cool site..a cool name..cool regs...

I'd buy this site this spring..if things don't work out for the owner..I guess I look at the potential..if I was in charge.....My personal feelings...are my thoughts,and way about going about things.

I'd just do this for a hobby..(my potential)...because I got so many other things going on..I'd make the site 100% spam free...The only time I could contribute..is at the end of the night..on my busy day..2-3 times a week.

I'll buy this site now....The regs,mods...or anybody could never return again....They don't hold a value..if that's what this site basicly lives on.

The owner has to feel the same..to bring things to a next level.

The opinion polls of the regs...or the feel of this site...is just that...Going to the next level crap..is the first level feed-back one seeks?

I could show ya how to do things downtown...but live in the deep woods at the moment...(smile)...:)

So any next level crap..is out of the regs..or the mods hands.

I am to busy..to buy...My words are an example how I feel...on how to bring this place to the the next level.

In my sleep..I could flood this place with traffic..and gain 50-75 new members a day.

That's what it takes to get a message board off the ground...and to keep it going.

I don't see any success in a massive hangout...

I'm way smarter than I let on..(to anybody)..(smile)....The regs..would not be regs anymore,with the traffic I could send to this place.

That's the "Next Level" of thought the owner of this place would love to hear,would love to see happen...

You regs can blow snot & pout...but my words are what the U.S. Message Board...Neeeeds!

Ya all come here...say your shit...Love to be known etc....

Even when asked how to make the place better...ya scratch & sniff your nose...Vote among yourself who made the best post...most popular etc..

Hand out some medals...gold ribbons.

My opinion don't even count here..but I could snap my figers...and back up every word I said..:)

To bring this place to the next level...is a letter like this...e-mailing me and asking my opinion.

I looked at the replies before mine..I will take them about as serious as any other feedback you ever seek,doing the e-mail route with me..:)

If the replies to this e-mail..are represented in the feedback to this post...Then please take me off your e-mail list.

Ok..that's it..gave ya some feed-back..:)

Creek..:)

I know a lot of people are being turned away from USMB due to trolls, spammers, or just plain idiots.

Absolutely. So the big question is: how do you keep trolls, spammers and just plain idiots from participating on USMB? :eusa_think: :eusa_silenced:

Absolutely. So the big question is: how do you keep trolls, spammers and just plain idiots from participating on USMB? :eusa_think: :eusa_silenced:

Having witnessed , on this board, the partisan attempt to silence someone that disagreed with another's political position who gets to decide what is spam, a troll or just plain idiots? In other words when do we begin censorship and who gets to decide whom to censor?

CreekSpeak Removed

George...PM me with what magic fairy potion you'd use to generate 50-75 new (non-spam) members per day. I'll do it.

We average about 2 legit new members per day. We average about 30 new spam members per day.

Hidden within your post are some excellent points...

censorship?

isn't this private endeavor the perogative of the owner, buddy? Don't they have the right to mold this environment according to their whims? Come on, RGS, don't get all commie pinko on us here when you feel the chaffe set in..

Having witnessed , on this board, the partisan attempt to silence someone that disagreed with another's political position who gets to decide what is spam, a troll or just plain idiots? In other words when do we begin censorship and who gets to decide whom to censor?

That's a good point. We may need some internal contrast in the moderating ranks, as well.

Maybe a moderate voice, a conservative voice and a liberal voice each with mod responsibilities?

censorship?

isn't this private endeavor the perogative of the owner, buddy? Don't they have the right to mold this environment according to their whims? Come on, RGS, don't get all commie pinko on us here when you feel the chaffe set in..

Certainly, I have the right to create whatever environment I wish.

I wish it to be free of censorship.

How's that?

How about giving us back our old emoticons which Greg the tight-arsed took away from us. ;)

I added some, but I wasn't able to find the full package that Greg removed.

If you have any specific ones you'd like added, please let me know.

Sorry, not my problem to solve. I was just highlighting what I think is a major problem for the board owner and administrators. I know trolls, spammers & co. have First Amendment rights, but they are a major reason people don’t tune in anymore. There used to be thousands of posts on this board every day; now it is down to a few hundred. If and when someone comes up with a solution for handling spammers, trolls & co., attracting others won’t be such a problem.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
Certainly, I have the right to create whatever environment I wish.
I wish it to be free of censorship.
How's that?

is that your perogative or a requirement? Can I enjoy as much while you choose such or may I demand as much?

big difference, i'd say. and Ironic that ole RGS would assume his rights to free speech here while defending the perogative of the owner elsewhere. It's almost like he switches gears according to how close to home the missle drops, no?

Hell, I'm all for no censorship too.. yet..

Sorry, not my problem to solve. I was just highlighting what I think is a major problem for the board owner and administrators. I know trolls, spammers & co. have First Amendment rights, but they are a major reason people don’t tune in anymore. There used to be thousands of posts on this board every day; now it is down to a few hundred. If and when someone comes up with a solution for handling spammers, trolls & co., attracting others won’t be such a problem.

ITA. We seldom see reasoned debate on the board anymore. Even if posters start out that way, it soon degenerates, first into generalities, followed swiftly by sematnics/word games and eventually into vehement (and immature) name calling, etc. Almost every thread COULD be sent to the taunting area by the time it is "finished".

Forum List

Back