USMB Coffee Shop IV

Man, it has been scorching here. Day and night. Can't sleep. Too humid. Day before yesterday was the hottest day in the history of forecasting weather, in my town, on the coast. It was 99 degrees outside. Add 20 degrees to that for the inside...:evil: The forecast is for a hotter than usual summer. And no A/C.....

Good for you foxy, to have A/C...:D

Geez, that would be intolerable for me, Aqua. I don't handle the heat very well any more. I dislike being cold, too, but it doesn't make me feel terrible and I can usually put on enough clothes to get warm. Can't always take enough off to get cool though.

I sometimes wonder how we managed back in the days when only the very very rich had air conditioning? Sometimes we just slept outside on very hot summer nights--it was safe to do that back then--but we lived, went to school, went to work with no air conditioning available when the temps were 80s, 90s, 100+. I was a young adult and married before I could enjoy air conditioning and then it was a small evaporative cooler placed in a window. We bought it second hand, I think at an estate or yard sale or something.

But it has been a wild ride weatherwise. Two days ago we were under a hard freeze warning and today it will go into the high 80's and the forecast is for low 90's for the weekend and beyond.
I think I'm allergic to the heat. I swell up, it's painful and ugly :(

I must be allergic to everything, I'm constantly swelled up, in pain and ugly. :D

Has anyone else noticed that the new Coffee Shop title makes it sound like were on life support? Or that we're now getting or coffee intravenously

I'm back now too, we got the plumbing sort of fixed, now we need to get the guy back over here to repair the water line. After that we have more projects to undertake, such as getting the master bathroom repaired, and the electrical system repaired. The walls need to be redone as well. It's tough but we are well on our way.

Last edited:
Geez, that would be intolerable for me, Aqua. I don't handle the heat very well any more. I dislike being cold, too, but it doesn't make me feel terrible and I can usually put on enough clothes to get warm. Can't always take enough off to get cool though.

I sometimes wonder how we managed back in the days when only the very very rich had air conditioning? Sometimes we just slept outside on very hot summer nights--it was safe to do that back then--but we lived, went to school, went to work with no air conditioning available when the temps were 80s, 90s, 100+. I was a young adult and married before I could enjoy air conditioning and then it was a small evaporative cooler placed in a window. We bought it second hand, I think at an estate or yard sale or something.

But it has been a wild ride weatherwise. Two days ago we were under a hard freeze warning and today it will go into the high 80's and the forecast is for low 90's for the weekend and beyond.
I think I'm allergic to the heat. I swell up, it's painful and ugly :(

I must be allergic to everything, I'm constantly swelled up, in pain and ugly. :D

Sista from another mista :lol:

Need a laugh?

1467456_439973719458354_2098711207_n.jpg

I'll try to explain this as simple as possible in laymens terms.

Back in the day when the old CS was up USMB didn't have many threads that grew to huge proportions. The CS could bloat to 20K + posts without a hiccup because it was pretty much the largest thread around and the database could handle all the calls (hey somebody wants to view the CS, hey send out this new post to all the subscribers etc). As time went on and USMB began to accumulate other large threads they began to take up resources (naturally).

So when a member was accessing the CS (already huge) it would slow down the site because all those other threads are taking up resources and now somebody wants to view/post in the CS. We'd get complaints of slowdowns and we could look at the database and see that the CS was the culprit.

Just recently we got complaints of slowdowns and saw that the CS and Tavern were the culprit, but there is a twist. Since these threads are active they are going to raise a red flag when we look at the database. You can see all the queries and the majority led back to the CS and the Tavern (which has also grown since then) The twist is that whats happening now is that we have several threads that are just as big if not bigger that have finally grown so large that they are taking up resources just sitting there. So when people wanted to access the CS or Tavern it impacted the ENTIRE site.

In short we've had to wipe out quite a few threads to get things back on track. Will the CS ever hit the xx,xxx post count again? I don't know. This site is busy and members are very active so we'll have to keep and eye out on everything

Essentially USMB used to be like a little snowball rolling downhill. Well now that little snowball has grown into a humongous snowball(threads and posts) crushing everything in its path. We shaved off a lot of the excess snow so things should be ok for a while.

Hopefully thats makes some sense. USMB is an aging beauty and she will get sick sometimes. She see's the best doctors so don't worry about nuthin'

Thanks for your time
[MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION], I have a suggestion. Is there any way we could have Foxfyre's post #1 reflect the actual # of posts through the 4-stage history of the Coffee Shop? That should not add too many megabites, with succeeding posts in numeric order showing such a statistic, in the way that banks number "the next number" when one reorders checks.

Foxfyre deserves a visual credit to her name in the # of posts the Coffee Shop she started garnered, imho. This would be that increasing credit that she has been to USMB over a long time.

My two cents. With sugar on it. ;)

Back to Doc's
Benefit tonight for a family that lost everything in the floods here on 4/29. Two bands which are donating their fees and a huge donation box for living essentials plus a couple grand so far in cash donations.

Are cats allowed in the new Coffee Shop? It would be a shame to get cat hair all over the place. Just saying...

Just for you BD....we have a hairless cat....Isn't it adorable? :D

View attachment 30144
Hairless or not, a cat is always a good idea. The cat would help keep the mice away from the cheese. With no cheese, we have no cheeseburgers...:(

No cheese for cheeseburgers would be catastrophic, Jughead.
2870311u3lvuqjh47.gif

Today was the first day of our American Legion Post's Poppy Day. Despite rain and then snow for most of the morning and it being quite cold, today was a pretty fair success. Tomorrow is the last day and I'll be glad. The weather is supposed to be a little better tomorrow. At least it's not supposed to snow again. I'm going to promote 007 to President of the Bitch About the Weather Club and step down because guys that have been in the Air Force know a lot of words that a sailor has never heard when it comes to describing bad weather. Anyway, just dropping in to say hello and that I'm off to the shower and then bed.

Today was the first day of our American Legion Post's Poppy Day. Despite rain and then snow for most of the morning and it being quite cold, today was a pretty fair success. Tomorrow is the last day and I'll be glad. The weather is supposed to be a little better tomorrow. At least it's not supposed to snow again. I'm going to promote 007 to President of the Bitch About the Weather Club and step down because guys that have been in the Air Force know a lot of words that a sailor has never heard when it comes to describing bad weather. Anyway, just dropping in to say hello and that I'm off to the shower and then bed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG2keYgBiZc]The Wizard of Oz - poppies - YouTube[/ame]

Awesome class this morning, with a long chat with my beautiful Sensei before the session began.
This class was all about doing our techniques with our eyes closed, and boy, did we look like complete dorks. So weird how everything changes when you can't see!

Later tonight, I am heading out for a surprise 21st birthday party for one of my good friends. She is going to be blown away...

Good to hear that pics aren't a problem, because that's my thing...sometimes a pic is all I feel like posting because it best expresses my mood.:D

Pics are fun but I can't see how they aren't the problem. That and all the Youtube music threads.

I've been wrong before though. :dunno:

Well I believe Cereal Killer who says it is the long threads and not the images at all.
He told us that they are fine.

Every little bit can help or hurt. A still photo uses less bandwith than a moving gif. One sig pic uses less bandwidth than 3. Text uses less bandwidth than pics.

True, the Coffee Shop 4 will close down ere long, but we could stretch it - and some of the other threads - out for a couple of days if we conserve.

Ultimately the host site needs to expand their servers, and some of the crawlbots here need to be blocked. I'll be sending some IPs to CK later tonight.

Well, it's a real roller coaster for America then, because we've had record cold here, and I mean the coldest ON record. The jet stream, for whatever DAMN reason, has decided to make this huge dip down over the upper and mid eastern half of America, while going up in your area. It's a massive whip lash S path, and I wish ta heck it would straighten itself OUT!

And by the way... that was an official bitch about the weather bitch from the VP of the bitch about the weather club... :D

I agree with the bitching. I had the furnace running today.:mad:

As soon as this mess is straightened out, I'm closing my account. My son is going to close his and I'll see about getting my father in law to close his. I just found out something even more disturbing. The plumbers didn't try cashing that check twice, they haven't even gotten it back yet and the king country treasury didn't try to cash that check 4 times. The bank decided on it's own to put it through again. This is absolutely criminal and I'm thinking of writing to the newspapers about these fees.

You might want to write to the State Attorney General as well.

And good morning everybody. The great warm up begins for us today--I'm waiting for the A/C to come on to announce the arrival of spring in New Mexico. :) Who would have thought that I, who dislikes hot weather, would be anxiously awaiting temps in the high 80's.

And yes, for those who weren't in on yesterday's discussion, C_K came by to explain that it is the high traffic on the long threads that is the problem, and not the photos or videos that we post. So we sure don't want to cut down on the traffic--that's what the Coffee Shop is for--and we don't need to hold back on the photos and videos. I'll just have a brand new remodeled Coffee Shop ready to go when we get to 2000 posts.

Man, it has been scorching here. Day and night. Can't sleep. Too humid. Day before yesterday was the hottest day in the history of forecasting weather, in my town, on the coast. It was 99 degrees outside. Add 20 degrees to that for the inside...:evil: The forecast is for a hotter than usual summer. And no A/C.....

Good for you foxy, to have A/C...:D

The house we had in NH, and it wasn't all that long ago, didn't have air conditioning. You only get about 3 days of 90 degree weather, so nobody seems to think you need AC.
Well, Mr Mertex decided that he wasn't going to put up with no AC and suffer for 3 days, so he went out and bought a window unit.....it took him all of 2 days to get the thing installed and working, and by then it was cool again....so we sold that house with a never-been-used window air-conditioner....:lol:

Forum List

Back