USMB Coffee Shop IV

This will be a six day week, I'll be in the office tomorrow catching up for sure. One of the joys of working for yourself. Worst boss you can have if you're an achiever...

Well, I'll go along with toughest boss if you're an achiever. :) Worst boss? Naw. The reason we work for ourselves is because of the management. :)

This will be a six day week, I'll be in the office tomorrow catching up for sure. One of the joys of working for yourself. Worst boss you can have if you're an achiever...
My son recently went to work for his father. He cant get enough out of the joke how he hates his boss :)

I like threads like these. For those of you who knew me from a certain talk show host's political forum, its nice to see you again (even you filthy libs :p). For those of you I don't know yet, its nice to meet you too. :)

--ALcard

Most of the old cars seem really ugly now......and huge....those fins in the back, I guess they were the thing back then. Watching a program that took place in the 50's and there were a bunch of old cars on the streets, and they were all big and clunky looking. I wonder how people will view our cars in, 50 years?

You think? I LOVED the look of the cars in the 50's, 60's, 70's. Each was a distinctive design and you could tell the make and sometimes the model of any car in the distance. Most of us mourned the demise of those innovative and classic designs as cars became more and more cookie cutter in appearance and you had to find the insignia on them to tell one make from another. Admittedly they don't become dated so quickly now. Hombre's 2005 Subaru Forester doesn't look that much different from the 2015 Forester.

I like threads like these. For those of you who knew me from a certain talk show host's political forum, its nice to see you again (even you filthy libs :p). For those of you I don't know yet, its nice to meet you too. :)

--ALcard

Welcome SixFoot but please read the opening post of the thread to see what we are all about here in the Coffee Shop. We leave the harsh labels and partisanship at the door here and find that we all, right/left/conservative/liberal/libertarian etc. get along very well here. All who just enjoy people are welcome though so drag up a chair and join right in.

--ALcard

Welcome SixFoot but please read the opening post of the thread to see what we are all about here. We leave the harsh labels and partisanship at the door here and find that we all, right/left/conservative/liberal/libertarian etc. get along very well here. All who just enjoy people are welcome though so drag up a chair and join right in.

Wasn't meant as a jab toward any political affiliation, and the people it was directed toward know it. I'm not here to flame a perfectly civil thread. :)

--ALcard

Welcome SixFoot but please read the opening post of the thread to see what we are all about here. We leave the harsh labels and partisanship at the door here and find that we all, right/left/conservative/liberal/libertarian etc. get along very well here. All who just enjoy people are welcome though so drag up a chair and join right in.

Wasn't meant as a jab toward any political affiliation, and the people it was directed toward know it. I'm not here to flame a perfectly civil thread. :)

Understood and no harm no foul. Most of our members don't know you from the other forum, though, so it can be too easily misunderstood. Oh, you get a first timer's complimentary beverage:

cappuccino2.jpg

--ALcard

Understood and no harm no foul. Most of our members don't know you from the other forum, though, so it can be too easily misunderstood. Oh, you get a first timer's complimentary beverage:

cappuccino2.jpg

You read my mind. I was just brewing up a refill.

Well, I'll go along with toughest boss if you're an achiever. :) Worst boss? Naw. The reason we work for ourselves is because of the management. :)

Agreed, I've definitely had worse bosses, and yeah, that's a big factor why I'm here.

And for today's history lesson, on this day in history, September 5 in:

1997 - I feel we should mention that Nobel Peace Prize winner Mother Teresa died in Calcutta, India, at age 87. She was surely a model of what a fully committed life can accomplish. I joke sometimes that my greatest fear would be standing in line behind Mother Teresa at the Pearly Gates and hear the words, "Sorry Teresa, you didn't do enough to get in."

And in the fashion world:
1698 - Russia's Peter the Great imposed a 100 rubles tax on beards. In an effort to modernize/westernize the Russian people, men entering the city had to shave off their beards or pay the tax. But he was in good company. Alexander the Great forbade men in his army to have beards because they were too easy to grab hold of in battle. (So how much tax would be imposed on Ernie's beard? GW? Ollie? Nosmo? et al?

Did you know that the word for fear of beards is pogonophobia? I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with our Pogo though.

But many of you will want it acknowledged that:
1836 – Sam Houston was elected as the first President of the Republic of Texas, succeeding David Burnett who served briefly as interim president. Sam Houston would serve two separate terms of office during the 10 years it took for Texas to become the 28th State in the USA.

So now it's time for a chorus of "You know you are a Texan if. . . ." or "You know you are in Texas if":

texas-15.jpg

Texas-22.jpg

Texas-17.jpg

Most of the old cars seem really ugly now......and huge....those fins in the back, I guess they were the thing back then. Watching a program that took place in the 50's and there were a bunch of old cars on the streets, and they were all big and clunky looking. I wonder how people will view our cars in, 50 years?

You think? I LOVED the look of the cars in the 50's, 60's, 70's. Each was a distinctive design and you could tell the make and sometimes the model of any car in the distance. Most of us mourned the demise of those innovative and classic designs as cars became more and more cookie cutter in appearance and you had to find the insignia on them to tell one make from another. Admittedly they don't become dated so quickly now. Hombre's 2005 Subaru Forester doesn't look that much different from the 2015 Forester.
It seems we exchanged design for reliability. Cars used to rust from the road up, but now with plastics and more effective rust proofing, you hardly ever see a rust bucket anymore.

At one time, even at night, you could tell what make of car was coming at you. Fords had headlights that were stacked one atop the other. Chevys had side by side headlights and Studebakers had lights that slanted up and away from the grill.

No longer are cars available with two tone paint jobs. Usually the roof was a different color, but some manufacturers offered a contrasting color across the side of the car. Vinyl roofs died right after the Carter administration.

Old Mercurys had 'suicide' doors that opened at the front or leading edge of the door rather than the back. Gone are Plymouths, Packards, Hudsons and the regrettable AMC Gremlin (which, according to Pop, looked more like a fishbowl than an automobile)

But, todays cars last longer, have better gas mileage and are far safer than the death traps Detroit used to make. I have a 1974 Ford Pinto for sale, but there are no takers. Chevrolet Corvairs were cool for a compact car in 1963, but their wheel base and interior would qualify them as 'full sized sedans' today. Back then, a Lincoln was a block and a half long and wide enough to land aircraft on.

Anyone remember the Yugo? What's the difference between a Yugo and a Jehovah's Witness? You could close the door on the Jehovah's Witness.

I went to a yard sale a bit ago. Bought Willow on dvd. Been a long time since I watched that flick!

It seems we exchanged design for reliability. Cars used to rust from the road up, but now with plastics and more effective rust proofing, you hardly ever see a rust bucket anymore.

At one time, even at night, you could tell what make of car was coming at you. Fords had headlights that were stacked one atop the other. Chevys had side by side headlights and Studebakers had lights that slanted up and away from the grill.

No longer are cars available with two tone paint jobs. Usually the roof was a different color, but some manufacturers offered a contrasting color across the side of the car. Vinyl roofs died right after the Carter administration.

Old Mercurys had 'suicide' doors that opened at the front or leading edge of the door rather than the back. Gone are Plymouths, Packards, Hudsons and the regrettable AMC Gremlin (which, according to Pop, looked more like a fishbowl than an automobile)

But, todays cars last longer, have better gas mileage and are far safer than the death traps Detroit used to make. I have a 1974 Ford Pinto for sale, but there are no takers. Chevrolet Corvairs were cool for a compact car in 1963, but their wheel base and interior would qualify them as 'full sized sedans' today. Back then, a Lincoln was a block and a half long and wide enough to land aircraft on.

Anyone remember the Yugo? What's the difference between a Yugo and a Jehovah's Witness? You could close the door on the Jehovah's Witness.

You can still buy a Mini with a two tone paint job like mine in my avi pic! :D

I suppose back then I thought they looked good. I'm talking about now....they don't look so hot to me, now. I love antiques and have several pieces in my home that I cherish, but not sure that cars appeal the same way. I just wondered if my car model/make will look as strange/outdated to my great great grandchildren as the cars of the 50's, 60's and 70's look to me. I'm sure they will..... :biggrin:

I went to a yard sale a bit ago. Bought Willow on dvd. Been a long time since I watched that flick!
There's a street we pass a few blocks away called Willow. Every time I pass it all I can think of is when Willow is trying to change Razeil back to human form and as she becomes a goat she bleats; Wiiilllloooowww....... :lol:

Bought (inexpensively) a pair of painters pants I've converted into a cheap pair of 1840s trousers. Well dyed em brown but was too brown for me so I washed em in bleach........ Now they're terra cotta (brownish orange) colored..... :lol: :dunno:

Good morning to you as well, Jake! I plan on making today a good one, too. :)

Been to a charter school where I serve on the Board.

As HOA company rep as well as owner, took care of a few matters.

Day is warming up.
HOAs are a mixed blessing, unfortunately there are some seriously anal people who make the rules, not always based on preserving property values, etc but on personal likes and dislikes. I try to stay away from HOAs.

We don't have a HOA, and I wouldn't like the sometimes exaggerated restrictions that are imposed or the dues you have to pay. Our neighborhood association, however, has been great. Purely voluntary though I'm pretty sure all the neighbors contribute a few bucks each year to help pay the small amount of administrative costs, printing, etc. It serves us well by coordinating our volunteer neighborhood watch and taking action if a bad neighbor is compromising all our property values with illegal activities such as a car up on blocks in the front yard or stuff like that.

Seems like that's how such things should be run. Voluntary and dominated by the majority of the populace.
I can say that for Myself, a HOA is a nonstarter for home purchase for Me.

Oh, same for me. When I bought my last place in town, if the subject of HOA came up, I walked. It's no one's business what I do with my property, or how I do it. Usually just a bunch of self-important, control-freak busybodies, IMHO. But if one chooses such an environment, I would hope that much of the edicts would be voluntary.

Almost forgot our history lesson today, and I'm amazed that there wasn't a single hump day post....LOL:

On this day in History, September 3. . .

In 1951, the first long-running American television soap opera, Search for Tomorrow, aired its first episode on the CBS network and a whole new television genre was born. It ran an amazing 35 years, the last four on NBC.

Whatever one thinks of soap operas, I bet every person over Age 45 or 50 can name at least one or two of these iconic series. And no matter how educated or sophisticated a person is, nobody has ever watched one without getting at least a bit wee hooked enough to want to see what happens next. A great many big name stars got their first acting jobs working on them.
968full-search-for-tomorrow-poster.jpg
I got hooked on "All My Children" the summer I earned my pin money babysitting three little boys...for $20/wk!!! The job included preparing two meals and light housekeeping. At any rate, I somehow got into that show, usually while vacuuming and dusting the living room. (Mowing lawns was far, far more lucrative, if not as steady.)

Forum List

Back