USMB Coffee Shop IV

Most of the old cars seem really ugly now......and huge....those fins in the back, I guess they were the thing back then. Watching a program that took place in the 50's and there were a bunch of old cars on the streets, and they were all big and clunky looking. I wonder how people will view our cars in, 50 years?

You think? I LOVED the look of the cars in the 50's, 60's, 70's. Each was a distinctive design and you could tell the make and sometimes the model of any car in the distance. Most of us mourned the demise of those innovative and classic designs as cars became more and more cookie cutter in appearance and you had to find the insignia on them to tell one make from another. Admittedly they don't become dated so quickly now. Hombre's 2005 Subaru Forester doesn't look that much different from the 2015 Forester.
Me too. I totally loved those older cars. that was style

Most of the old cars seem really ugly now......and huge....those fins in the back, I guess they were the thing back then. Watching a program that took place in the 50's and there were a bunch of old cars on the streets, and they were all big and clunky looking. I wonder how people will view our cars in, 50 years?

You think? I LOVED the look of the cars in the 50's, 60's, 70's. Each was a distinctive design and you could tell the make and sometimes the model of any car in the distance. Most of us mourned the demise of those innovative and classic designs as cars became more and more cookie cutter in appearance and you had to find the insignia on them to tell one make from another. Admittedly they don't become dated so quickly now. Hombre's 2005 Subaru Forester doesn't look that much different from the 2015 Forester.

I suppose back then I thought they looked good. I'm talking about now....they don't look so hot to me, now. I love antiques and have several pieces in my home that I cherish, but not sure that cars appeal the same way. I just wondered if my car model/make will look as strange/outdated to my great great grandchildren as the cars of the 50's, 60's and 70's look to me. I'm sure they will..... :biggrin:

Well of course our taste is our taste and there really is no right or wrong. But my kids are still fascinated by old cars and consider them things of beauty. Not sure about the next generation as I don't think I've ever had that particular discussion with them. But how can one not see these as beautiful? And the family cars were so roomy and comfortable--you could put four people in the back seat comfortably and three in the front seat. And there was plenty of leg room so you could add another layer sitting on laps. And we could get four or five or more people in the trunk. (Long story that.)

cd1959eldorado5801.jpg

7-1957-ford-thunderbird.jpg

corvette-1960-ext.JPG

f11cc59cf416a4dd8cd46520dab71844.jpg

HOA is no different than renting an apartment. Rules. Except you OWN the apartment.

Oh, HOA is worse. You own your property, but other people get to tell you how to take care of it.

I have a friend who wants to replace a window in her condo. The rules say she has to replace ALL of them; she can't replace just the one that is in bad repair. Oy. Very expensive.

HOA is no different than renting an apartment. Rules. Except you OWN the apartment.

Oh, HOA is worse. You own your property, but other people get to tell you how to take care of it.

I have a friend who wants to replace a window in her condo. The rules say she has to replace ALL of them; she can't replace just the one that is in bad repair. Oy. Very expensive.

I can't stand stupid HOA rules like those. What if only a single window was broken? Does that mean replacing all of them? Of course it doesn't. The rules should state that the replacement is equal to or better grade than original installation and is consistent with style and color. Beyond that it is up the homeowner what they choose to go with.

I can't stand stupid HOA rules like those. What if only a single window was broken? Does that mean replacing all of them? Of course it doesn't. The rules should state that the replacement is equal to or better grade than original installation and is consistent with style and color. Beyond that it is up the homeowner what they choose to go with.

This particular rule isn't about broke glass - it's about replacing the entire window, frame and all. My friend has a dry rot problem in one window. The others are fine. They also require a certain make and model. Altogether, the cost would be close to $20K.

I guess that depends on the HOA. Our's is kinda laid back, not too many rules, they hardly interfere with anyone unless someone is blatantly doing something that would bring our home values down, and that is if it is reported to the HOA. I remember one time, before we even build our house and we were living in another state, the HOA was battling with some residents who tried to install a trailer on their property next to their house and use it for their parents to live in, but the rules clearly restrict any trailers permanent or for long periods with people living in them. Also, they made one neighbor get rid of a pot belly pig pet. It was kind of cute when it was little, then it got big and made some awful noises. We really didn't care, cause we/they have acreage and it wasn't like where we could see it or hear it unless we were outside and close to that end of our property, but apparently someone didn't like it.

I would never buy a property that has HOA. Nope. Too many rules. Sigh. Remember once upon a time you could buy land and do what you want with it? Even if it meant building a one room cabin. Not any more.

I guess that depends on the HOA. Our's is kinda laid back, not too many rules, they hardly interfere with anyone unless someone is blatantly doing something that would bring our home values down, and that is if it is reported to the HOA. I remember one time, before we even build our house and we were living in another state, the HOA was battling with some residents who tried to install a trailer on their property next to their house and use it for their parents to live in, but the rules clearly restrict any trailers permanent or for long periods with people living in them. Also, they made one neighbor get rid of a pot belly pig pet. It was kind of cute when it was little, then it got big and made some awful noises. We really didn't care, cause we/they have acreage and it wasn't like where we could see it or hear it unless we were outside and close to that end of our property, but apparently someone didn't like it.

That's ours--a neighborhood association rather than a HOA--but pretty much anything within reason goes in our area. The only time the association steps in is if somebody really is hurting everybody else's property values with junk cars in the yard or whatever.

Okay boys and girls, for today's history lesson:

On this day in history, September 4, 1957, the Ford Motor Company unveiled the Edsel and designated the date as "E-day". The car was pulled from the market in late 1959, citing poor sales, and was commemorated by the Washington Post as "Edsel: The Flop Heard Around the World." There are some interesting side stories about the Edsel however.

Some say it failed because of its name. Ford execs hired professionals to come up with a name of the car and "Edsel" (the name of Henry Ford's only son) was certainly preferable to names such as Intelligent Bullet, Mongoose Civique, and Utopian Turtletop that the experts came up with.

Others say it was ahead of its time, but it had no more innovations or exotic features than other cars in the mid-sized range and it was a hot performer on the road and it did well in its maiden year. During the 1958 model year, 63,110 Edsels were produced. Edsel outsold DeSoto, Chrysler, and Studebaker. For every two Mercurys sold, one Edsel was sold despite Mercury having 20 years of brand loyalty and product history behind it.

Some say it was sunk because of poor quality, but the late 1950's was not an era of quality for any of America's auto makers. Which allowed Germany and Japan, who were going for quality, to gain a foothold here.

Some say that the timing was poor when the Edsel was launched at the beginning of the Eisenhower recession. But it had plenty of capital to weather that storm and other models introduced during that period and other recessions have done just fine.

The little know reason that the Edsel most likely didn't succeed is that the then Ford VP Robert McNamara didn't like it and planned to phase it out before it ever went into production. He loved the Ford Falcon, introduced the same year, and he thought the Edsel too flashy. It offended his sense of what an automobile should be. Some historians believe the Edsel would have developed staying power had McNamara not axed it.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Probably none of us have ever owned, driven, or even ridden in an Edsel. But every single one of us has heard of it. :)

13-AZ-MtT-15.jpg
Conflicting horizontal and vertical lines on the grill?

That's a polite way of describing it. My Uncle Ducky said the grill looked 'vaginal', And that's a polite way of saying what he actually said!

In all these years, that has never occurred to me.

Isn't it upside down then?

Almost forgot our history lesson today, and I'm amazed that there wasn't a single hump day post....LOL:

On this day in History, September 3. . .

In 1951, the first long-running American television soap opera, Search for Tomorrow, aired its first episode on the CBS network and a whole new television genre was born. It ran an amazing 35 years, the last four on NBC.

Whatever one thinks of soap operas, I bet every person over Age 45 or 50 can name at least one or two of these iconic series. And no matter how educated or sophisticated a person is, nobody has ever watched one without getting at least a bit wee hooked enough to want to see what happens next. A great many big name stars got their first acting jobs working on them.
968full-search-for-tomorrow-poster.jpg
I got hooked on "All My Children" the summer I earned my pin money babysitting three little boys...for $20/wk!!! The job included preparing two meals and light housekeeping. At any rate, I somehow got into that show, usually while vacuuming and dusting the living room. (Mowing lawns was far, far more lucrative, if not as steady.)

I am still mourning the loss of AMC. I miss Erika, and was really disappointed when the online thing didn't take off after ABC cancelled it...how cool it was to see Jessie and Angie reunited, plus Tad was on the verge of coming back to be with Dixie. I need closure!!

Time to check for missing body parts and head to bed. Try to keep the world spinning while I sleep please.

Forum List

Back