USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hobbes has figured out a way in and out of the house I don't know about.
Last night I found him out on the porch (I always bring him in my dark because of monster trees). I thought maybe I must have left a door open. Tonight, same thing again and he's sopping wet from the rain.

I suspect he must be going out one of the upstairs rooms, which means he has to somehow make his way down from there, presumably (?) via a tree branch.

O boy...
If they want out they'll find a way.

I'd be more worried about what could get in.:eek-52:

Oh there's always been evidence of things getting in.
That's why I got a cat.

I don't think that's what Sherry had in mind.....:eek:

OK I'm lost then... :dunno:

Okay boys and girls, for today's history lesson:

On this day in history, September 4, 1957, the Ford Motor Company unveiled the Edsel and designated the date as "E-day". The car was pulled from the market in late 1959, citing poor sales, and was commemorated by the Washington Post as "Edsel: The Flop Heard Around the World." There are some interesting side stories about the Edsel however.

Some say it failed because of its name. Ford execs hired professionals to come up with a name of the car and "Edsel" (the name of Henry Ford's only son) was certainly preferable to names such as Intelligent Bullet, Mongoose Civique, and Utopian Turtletop that the experts came up with.

Others say it was ahead of its time, but it had no more innovations or exotic features than other cars in the mid-sized range and it was a hot performer on the road and it did well in its maiden year. During the 1958 model year, 63,110 Edsels were produced. Edsel outsold DeSoto, Chrysler, and Studebaker. For every two Mercurys sold, one Edsel was sold despite Mercury having 20 years of brand loyalty and product history behind it.

Some say it was sunk because of poor quality, but the late 1950's was not an era of quality for any of America's auto makers. Which allowed Germany and Japan, who were going for quality, to gain a foothold here.

Some say that the timing was poor when the Edsel was launched at the beginning of the Eisenhower recession. But it had plenty of capital to weather that storm and other models introduced during that period and other recessions have done just fine.

The little know reason that the Edsel most likely didn't succeed is that the then Ford VP Robert McNamara didn't like it and planned to phase it out before it ever went into production. He loved the Ford Falcon, introduced the same year, and he thought the Edsel too flashy. It offended his sense of what an automobile should be. Some historians believe the Edsel would have developed staying power had McNamara not axed it.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Probably none of us have ever owned, driven, or even ridden in an Edsel. But every single one of us has heard of it. :)

13-AZ-MtT-15.jpg

The reason is obvious. It's that huge gaping maw. Conflicting vertical/horizontal lines insult the subconscious. What were they thinking?

The rear wasn't bad -- attached taken at a museum in Asheville. Nicer color on this one too I think.

Most of the old cars seem really ugly now......and huge....those fins in the back, I guess they were the thing back then. Watching a program that took place in the 50's and there were a bunch of old cars on the streets, and they were all big and clunky looking. I wonder how people will view our cars in, 50 years?

If you block out that vertical grille with your hand it ends up looking something like a Checker (for those who remember that) which also doesn't present a whole lot of appeal).

Looking back from now at cars from then, what also strikes you as a contrast is the inside and the enormous sea of unused space in there -- here's the inside of the same Edsel in the previous photo (sorry about the window reflection, unavoidable). And of course the Edsel wasn't different in this from the rest of what was being made at the time...

[edit - OK I guess picture file uploads have quit working -- I tried to attach a file here twice, never shows up. Did the same operation I did before, nuttin'.

And I've still been getting 502 Bad Gateway errors late at night. Not even in this thread.]

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel and their house deal,
007's Mom,
Pogo's aunt,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, and Becki.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Man, the ole back is killing me. It's actually getting worse. Went to the VA Tuesday and met my new doctor and I like him. "Jean Montgomery" is his name, now how cool is that? I was expecting some GOOD OLE BOY from DOWN SOUTH... LOL! I did mention that to him also, and he commented that he was born in Louisiana, and after several verbal coachings from him, I had "Naarlins" down fairly well. In any case, thankfully he put in a referral for me to see physical therapy at a nearby hospital, since I live over 40 miles from the nearest VA facility. I'm looking forward to starting that, because this pain has been with me for over two months now, and to say I'm getting pretty damn sick of it would be putting it mildly.
physical therapy should help. also try some stretching
the+rack.jpg

Early prototype of the Pilates machines. :D

During our evening walk through the cemetery last night Daisy the Mutt and I met a young family out for a constitutional. Mother was pushing a double walker with a four and two year old and Pater Familis rode a bicycle with a child carrying trailer attached. In that trailer were two more kids, the twin to the aforementioned two year old and a 14 month old baby.

It was nice to see a family out together. Daisy the Mutt reveled in their attention.

But then, Mother scolded the four year old for hurting the chicken. Let me repeat that. Mother scolded the four year old for hurting the chicken.

There, amongst the kinder was a small Rhode Island Red clucking away. They had taken in a chicken as a house pet. I asked if they had thoughts of Colonel Sanders in their minds. "No, just eggs. Until some of the eggs grow into fryers" answered Mom.

Our neighborhood is not rural. We do not have pastures or farmyards or whatever venue one might find chickens. But there it was, a fully formed bird with the breakfast hopes of a family of six hanging on it's gizzard.

During our evening walk through the cemetery last night Daisy the Mutt and I met a young family out for a constitutional. Mother was pushing a double walker with a four and two year old and Pater Familis rode a bicycle with a child carrying trailer attached. In that trailer were two more kids, the twin to the aforementioned two year old and a 14 month old baby.

It was nice to see a family out together. Daisy the Mutt reveled in their attention.

But then, Mother scolded the four year old for hurting the chicken. Let me repeat that. Mother scolded the four year old for hurting the chicken.

There, amongst the kinder was a small Rhode Island Red clucking away. They had taken in a chicken as a house pet. I asked if they had thoughts of Colonel Sanders in their minds. "No, just eggs. Until some of the eggs grow into fryers" answered Mom.

Our neighborhood is not rural. We do not have pastures or farmyards or whatever venue one might find chickens. But there it was, a fully formed bird with the breakfast hopes of a family of six hanging on it's gizzard.

My father raised chickens and ducks in our back yard when I was growing up. Even had a small orchard too.

Never gave that a thought until I was on a canoeing trip with friends and I was driving the vehicle on that stage and we were going to meet up at a farm further down the river from where I dropped them. Naturally enough I got there early since I had dropped them off at 1st light and the farmer's wife invited me have breakfast.

The eggs she served were free range and reminded me of the ones I had as a child. Most people can't tell the difference but once you have had free range eggs you really don't want the battery raised eggs.

On this day in history, September 4, 1957, the Ford Motor Company unveiled the Edsel and designated the date as "E-day". The car was pulled from the market in late 1959, citing poor sales, and was commemorated by the Washington Post as "Edsel: The Flop Heard Around the World." There are some interesting side stories about the Edsel however.

Some say it failed because of its name. Ford execs hired professionals to come up with a name of the car and "Edsel" (the name of Henry Ford's only son) was certainly preferable to names such as Intelligent Bullet, Mongoose Civique, and Utopian Turtletop that the experts came up with.

Others say it was ahead of its time, but it had no more innovations or exotic features than other cars in the mid-sized range and it was a hot performer on the road and it did well in its maiden year. During the 1958 model year, 63,110 Edsels were produced. Edsel outsold DeSoto, Chrysler, and Studebaker. For every two Mercurys sold, one Edsel was sold despite Mercury having 20 years of brand loyalty and product history behind it.

Some say it was sunk because of poor quality, but the late 1950's was not an era of quality for any of America's auto makers. Which allowed Germany and Japan, who were going for quality, to gain a foothold here.

Some say that the timing was poor when the Edsel was launched at the beginning of the Eisenhower recession. But it had plenty of capital to weather that storm and other models introduced during that period and other recessions have done just fine.

The little know reason that the Edsel most likely didn't succeed is that the then Ford VP Robert McNamara didn't like it and planned to phase it out before it ever went into production. He loved the Ford Falcon, introduced the same year, and he thought the Edsel too flashy. It offended his sense of what an automobile should be. Some historians believe the Edsel would have developed staying power had McNamara not axed it.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Probably none of us have ever owned, driven, or even ridden in an Edsel. But every single one of us has heard of it. :)

13-AZ-MtT-15.jpg

The reason is obvious. It's that huge gaping maw. Conflicting vertical/horizontal lines insult the subconscious. What were they thinking?
, 1940
The rear wasn't bad -- attached taken at a museum in Asheville. Nicer color on this one too I think.

Most of the old cars seem really ugly now......and huge....those fins in the back, I guess they were the thing back then. Watching a program that took place in the 50's and there were a bunch of old cars on the streets, and they were all big and clunky looking. I wonder how people will view our cars in, 50 years?
Never was a fan of the 1950s cars, 1940s cars not so bad but I love the cars of the 1930s. :thup:

Hobbes has figured out a way in and out of the house I don't know about.
Last night I found him out on the porch (I always bring him in my dark because of monster trees). I thought maybe I must have left a door open. Tonight, same thing again and he's sopping wet from the rain.

I suspect he must be going out one of the upstairs rooms, which means he has to somehow make his way down from there, presumably (?) via a tree branch.

O boy...

That Hobbes, he has a mind of his own.....
:lol: Really! I am growing to love him as much as I do BBD's Taco! :D

My father raised chickens and ducks in our back yard when I was growing up. Even had a small orchard too.

Never gave that a thought until I was on a canoeing trip with friends and I was driving the vehicle on that stage and we were going to meet up at a farm further down the river from where I dropped them. Naturally enough I got there early since I had dropped them off at 1st light and the farmer's wife invited me have breakfast.

The eggs she served were free range and reminded me of the ones I had as a child. Most people can't tell the difference but once you have had free range eggs you really don't want the battery raised eggs.
There's a set up to a fantastic dirty joke!

My hometown is a small river town without farm accoutrements. We might have a yard big enough to accommodate a few tomato plants and a bell pepper or two. The Big House had the largest yard in the neighborhood and Pop was keen on gardening, but the majority of space was lawn that was used as football field, whiffle ball diamond and Capture the Flag pitch. Animals everywhere in town are relegated to cats and mutts.

13-AZ-MtT-15.jpg
Conflicting horizontal and vertical lines on the grill?

That's a polite way of describing it. My Uncle Ducky said the grill looked 'vaginal', And that's a polite way of saying what he actually said!

My first car was a Ford. A 1964 Falcon we all called "The Iron Lung". It was two, make that four, tone. White on the roof, aquamarine on the body with several bits of rust colors scattered across the fenders and rocker panels. The Lung had a hole just a bit bigger than a tennis ball on the passenger side floor (I know the size due to the bouncing balls I saw in the rear view mirror after a match in the park).

Three on the tree, a great heater and an in dash AM radio modified with a Spark-O-Matic FM converter were the good features. A broken motor mount that made the four cylinder engine fall off after every bump hit. I kept a bottle jack in the car to place the engine back in place after it would jar loose.

I learned how to drive a stick shift in that car. I felt my first breast in that car. I drove to my high school graduation in that car. I first saw The Godfather at a drive in theater in that car. I wonder how many razor blades were made from the remains of that car?

Forum List

Back