USMB Coffee Shop IV

How's every one doing? Mindful, really sorry you can't be with your daughter right now, must be frustrating.

Basically still plodding along, had some issues recently and talked with a grief counselor yesterday, it helped. Ya know it's been six months? Seems like yesterday sometimes.
The biggest challenges I've faced lately are I get easily emotional sometimes over the stupidest things and occasionally asking myself what's the point of continuing on. Both normal grief reactions and no, I have no intention of ending it all or locking myself away from the world forever. I actually want to get out, go do things, have some fun. I also need to forgive myself for not being the perfect husband or giving her everything she ever wanted, not fixing the cancer, I have to forgive myself for being human.
Hopefully by relating this I can help someone who's going through or will be going through what I'm dealing with. God bless you all.

Oh Ringel, I didn't know about this. Quite certain Mrs. RIngel wanted you to live life though. From my perspective you are living for two now. Marriage is a joining of spirits. She lives while you do. Took me two years to date after my divorce. Only right you should still be in grief. Come up for life every once and a while though please.

I like work. Vacations are something I usually avoid. That said, I am taking about 10 days to venture from Michigan to Moab Utah via Denver. Any ideas of things to do or see between here and there? Can't drive through the cities fast enough, so no stopping in those.

How's every one doing? Mindful, really sorry you can't be with your daughter right now, must be frustrating.

Basically still plodding along, had some issues recently and talked with a grief counselor yesterday, it helped. Ya know it's been six months? Seems like yesterday sometimes.
The biggest challenges I've faced lately are I get easily emotional sometimes over the stupidest things and occasionally asking myself what's the point of continuing on. Both normal grief reactions and no, I have no intention of ending it all or locking myself away from the world forever. I actually want to get out, go do things, have some fun. I also need to forgive myself for not being the perfect husband or giving her everything she ever wanted, not fixing the cancer, I have to forgive myself for being human.
Hopefully by relating this I can help someone who's going through or will be going through what I'm dealing with. God bless you all.

One of my neighbours lost her husband this past summer. The rules for hospice meant she couldn't have contact with anyone else, including her elderly mother who is in memory care. Or her grandchildren she did child care for. Just so she could visit with him. They couldn't have a funeral after he died, and she's really struggled to get over his death.

I don't know what your lockdown situation is there, but here we're in full on lockdown, and everyone is feeling cut off and stressed. Her husband had cancer and he had kidney failure before the cancer, and was going into the city for dialysis three times a week. Normally should would have had the help and comfort of her extended family through all of this but with the crud, she was cut off and alone.

The pandemic has made moving ahead hard because none of us knows what the future even looks like now. For those who have lost loved ones in all of this, it's hardest of all. Don't be so hard on yourself. Easier said than done, but you really aren't alone in all this.
The panicdemic is a farce and the unintended consequences will be affecting most people for a long time to come. People are herd animals and most set great store by their family relationships. I feel so sorry for everyone who has been forbidden that human contact, especially when there is greater need than ever for us to love and support each other, hold a hand, hug, just gaze at each other with clear eyes and a restful mind.

Interesting to watch the Lower 48 going through weather that is just typical wintertime for us. It's colder in many places than it is here. My sister in San Antonio is hunkered down due to poor road conditions. O'Hare airport has slowed down all air traffic, grounding many planes due to weather and causing traffic to have to wait here until parking opens up. Most of our flights out of Seattle are delayed due to weather. Fortunately, Chinese New Year starts this week and traffic gets lighter for the holiday.

I'm supposed to be getting a Fed Ex package tomorrow o_O Houston is shutting down- it's sposed to start snowing where I stays, (north of Houston proper) this afternoon and continue through tomorrow- the first time it's snowed in Houston, in February, in 80! years- a low of 12 is the forecast for tonight with a high tomorrow of 19-

Now, if congress really wants to act omnipotent, which it always does and likes to make itself feel better about its incompetence it should make weather like this illegal- and fine a God- at least one of them, so we'll know who to blame-;)

Oh Ringel, I didn't know about this. Quite certain Mrs. RIngel wanted you to live life though. From my perspective you are living for two now. Marriage is a joining of spirits. She lives while you do. Took me two years to date after my divorce. Only right you should still be in grief. Come up for life every once and a while though please.
I just came to the realization that I was wallowing in it, letting it consume me and pull me down.

A Contribution to "Coffee" for the coffee shop I wrote last fall

Coffee and cigarettes are the comp'ny I keep
on a perfect autumn night with a sky black and deep
not a leaf is stirring, not a sound bein made
it's great to be alive, hearing the whisper of sleep

Writin songs in my head that may never be sang
with music that may never be played
about a love gone wrong or a love that might have been
with words that don't rhyme
and music out of sync
but its great to be alive hearing the whisper of sleep

Talkin to the sky black and deep
with coffee and cigarettes, the comp'ny I keep
and music out of sync
it's great to be alive
hearin the whisper of sleep
May I recommend that you plug in the words " rhyming dictionary website." And you will be able to work Into your poem sans changing your point (or lack of it). You can always do better when you consult several rhymes, and you might get a better word by using a thesaurus that gives you an equivalent word that is easier to rhyme in context with where you want your writing where you want it to go. Good luck.

I had to go internet searching to find out why me decaf coffee makes me so sleepy. Seems caffeine wears off after awhile and does the opposite. But why would DEcaf do that? Weird, eh?
I doubt it's the coffee, considering everything you've gone through it's most likely chronic depression you're suffering from. Get a hold of a counselor tell him/her everything you've gone through since losing the house you rented forever, you probably never dealt with the grief of losing that place and then everything else on top of that.

I just came to the realization that I was wallowing in it, letting it consume me and pull me down.

Good that's the first step to moving forward.
I look at it as Mr. P is enjoying himself and why he told me to continue enjoying my life.
We will always be connected, just living in different dimensions.

One thing I've been debating is replacing my ooooold range, more for the esthetic but also for potential practical upgrades. Had been doing some research and discovered that electric ranges actually out perform gas some times by as much as 46% depending on the range. Samsung is considered one of the best. Ceramic/glass tops are the most efficient but I use cast iron all the time so I worry about scratching the surface, coil burner ranges are supposed to be much less expensive but what I've found is that's only in the economy range. Self cleaning with sensor technology puts those coil burner ranges up in the same price range as smoothtops.

I like work. Vacations are something I usually avoid. That said, I am taking about 10 days to venture from Michigan to Moab Utah via Denver. Any ideas of things to do or see between here and there? Can't drive through the cities fast enough, so no stopping in those.

Not much in the Denver area that appeals to me all that much and you'll probably stay on I-70. But if you wanted to jog 70 miles south on I-25 from Denver, there's a lot of things to see and do in and around Colorado Springs.

A Contribution to "Coffee" for the coffee shop I wrote last fall

Coffee and cigarettes are the comp'ny I keep
on a perfect autumn night with a sky black and deep
not a leaf is stirring, not a sound bein made
it's great to be alive, hearing the whisper of sleep

Writin songs in my head that may never be sang
with music that may never be played
about a love gone wrong or a love that might have been
and music out of sync
but its great to be alive hearing the whisper of sleep

Talkin to the sky black and deep
and music out of sync
it's great to be alive
hearin the whisper of sleep

That's really pretty good Gdjrr, and I speak as somewhat of a sort of, sometime, somewhat amateur but dedicated literary critic. :) I found myself putting it to music as I read it. :)

That may be, but that's where a good grief counselor can be helpful. He/she can distinguish between 'wallowing' and experiencing normal grief which you (or I) might not be as good at doing. It is as harmful to deny or refuse to experience normal grief as it is to be obsessive about it. I think I know you well enough to believe you will come through it all whatever path you take though.

Avoid Denver if you can, like Fox said jog south to Colorado Springs, see Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Manitoba Springs, Old Colorado City, Air Force Academy chapel. Then you can head west on Rte 24 to CO rte 9 north to Breckenridge and I 70, absolutely beautiful scenic route. Instead of following I 70 up to Denver then I 25 down to CO Springs take Rte 24 west at Limon CO, it will take you directly to CO Springs. Make sure you fill up at Limon..........

Last edited:

That may be, but that's where a good grief counselor can be helpful. He/she can distinguish between 'wallowing' and experiencing normal grief which you (or I) might not be as good at doing. It is as harmful to deny or refuse to experience normal grief as it is to be obsessive about it. I think I know you well enough to believe you will come through it all whatever path you take though.
I realized that I was starting to let my grief control me, started writing all of that down in my grief journal and today I woke up feeling much better, like a heavy weight was being lifted off me.

Forum List

Back