User Defined Storage Space For Posters Preparing Thread Content

Mojo2

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2013
User Defined Storage Space For Posters to Compile & Prepare Thread Content

I sometimes wish there was an area at USMB where reference materials or links or text can be temporarily placed to help make it easier to assemble posts and thread content.

For example, I ran across this info and intend to use it in an existing thread on the topic.

Sayyid Qutb (Egyptian Arabic pronunciation: [ˈsæjjed ˈʔotˤb],Arabic: [ˈsæjjɪd ˈqʊtˤb]; Arabic: سيد قطب‎ Sayyid Quṭb; also spelledSaid, Syed, Seyyid, Sayid, Sayed, Koteb, Qutub, Kotb, Kutb; 9 October 1906 – 29 August 1966) was an Egyptian author, educator, Islamic theorist, poet, and the leading member of the EgyptianMuslim Brotherhood in the 1950s and 1960s. In 1966 he was convicted of plotting the assassination of Egyptian president Gamal Abdel Nasserand was executed by hanging.

Author of 24 books, including novels, literary arts critique and works on education, he is best known in the Muslim world for his work on what he believed to be the social and political role of Islam, particularly in his books Social Justice and Ma'alim fi al-Tariq(Milestones). His magnum opus,Fi Zilal al-Quran (In the Shade of the Qur'an), is a 30-volume commentary on the Quran.

During most of his life, Qutb's inner circle mainly consisted of influential politicians, intellectuals, poets and literary figures, both of his age and of the preceding generation. By the mid-1940s, many of his writings were officially among the curricula of schools, colleges and universities.[2]

Even though most of his observations and criticism were leveled at the Muslim world, Qutb is also known for his intense disapproval of the society and culture of the United States,[3][4] which he saw as obsessed with materialism, violence, and sexual pleasures.[5] Views on Qutb vary widely. He has been described by followers as a great thinker and martyr for Islam,[6][7] while many Western observers see him as a key originator of Islamist ideology.[8] Others in the West believe Qutb is an inspiration for violent groups such as Al Qaeda.[9][10][11][12]Today, his supporters are identified as Qutbists[13] or "Qutbi" (by their opponents, not by themselves).[14]

Sayyid Qutb - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

But I am presently also preparing a post on this:

El-Sissi: Egypt Will Give Any Support Required In Fight Against ISIS
ap_wire.png
| By HAMZA HENDAWI and IAN PHILLIPS and LEE KEATH
Posted: 09/20/2014 12:22 pm EDT Updated: 09/21/2014 12:59 am EDT
n-SISI-large570.jpg

CAIRO (AP) — Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi is feeling vindicated by the world's alarm over Islamic extremism that is fueling wars and bloodshed across the Middle East.

The former army general has faced widespread international criticism for his ouster last year of Egypt's first freely elected president and his ferocious crackdown on Islamists that has killed more than 1,000 and imprisoned more than 20,000. A year later, after el-Sissi's election as president, his critics fear he is leading his country into autocracy, with pro-democracy dissenters jailed or silenced.

But in an interview with The Associated Press — his first with the foreign media since he took office in June — el-Sissi insists all his actions were to combat militancy and save the country from civil war. He said Egypt is a model for fighting terrorism and that the U.S.-led coalition to fight the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria should take note.

El-Sissi Egypt Will Give Any Support Required In Fight Against ISIS

And while researching these topics I found this:

Uploaded on Aug 10, 2007

In this interview from April 15th, 1994 Dick Cheney reveals the reasons why invading Baghdad and toppling Saddam Hussein's regime wouldn't be a great idea. He also stipulates that "not very many" American soldiers' lives were worth losing to take out Saddam during the Gulf War.

After watching this and listening to his seeming conviction that he believes what he is saying, what would have caused a change of mind to go along with GWB's decision to invade in 2003 in spite of his 1994 assessment?

It would be a nice thing to have a prep area to temporarily place materials you intend to post.

The spaces could be cleared out by staff every week to assure no one was trying to homestead the space. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I simply book mark data for future reference.

That is how I 've done it too for almost ten years of posting and I wonder if having a prep space here might be better in some way.

One thing I'd like is not having a dozen tabs constantly open.

I simply book mark data for future reference.

That is how I 've done it too for almost ten years of posting and I wonder if having a prep space here might be better in some way.

One thing I'd like is not having a dozen tabs constantly open.

On another board years ago, the posters created a library of sites to visit.....Started well and ended badly as it became another argument. Perhaps you should start a library thread............For sites you wish to remember.............

3rd party cloud based apps would work well

tried it.

Too slow. Too cumbersome.

Tried Google Documents. Not set up for this task. Clunky and slow on my computer.

I've got hundreds of bookmarks.

Could THAT be slowing down my computer???

Anyway, I really should go through them all and discard the out of date topics.

tried it.

Tried Google Documents. Not set up for this task. Clunky and slow on my computer.

You can try Xmarks if it's just bookmarks.

Get Libreoffice, free and works well.

tried it.

You can try Xmarks if it's just bookmarks.

Get Libreoffice, free and works well.

Thanks. I'll need to see what it does and how it works tomorrow.

No note pad?

Ditto. I've always got Microsoft Word open whenever I'm posting online.
It does help...I used to store other peoples quotes to throw in their face later...

Typically Liberal thought process.
of course....no one but libs have ever done that...I had to cache the quotes since I was posting on 3-4 forums at the time..

Not that no one else has ever done it. Its just that its typical of a Liberal to do.

I just can't see what the big deal is, really.

The only things I need to build threads are bookmarks and my own (not my computer's) memory bank.

If I need anything more than that to build a thread, I guess I kinda figure that it would be a waste of time, as some troll or three would eventually try to hijack it anyway and dilute its purpose.

Forum List

Back