Used to be Christian, now atheist/other

I'm interested in this subject, because one of my cousins and I are very close. We were raised in the same church background, and I remain in the church, and he is an atheist. Some of my thinking has changed from talking to him, though I won't get into specifics just yet (except to say, I don't believe he's going to hell. Of course, he doesn't believe anything happens after we die.)

Where are you at?

I was raised a Chistian, but left because I did not believe, and that I did not find that many people in the church lived a Christian life. They felt that going to church on Sunday was enough. In my 20s, I practiced Buddhism for a while. I liked the discipline of working to get your life together, but I questioned a lot and the leaders really had problems answering my questions and doubts. Although I am not religious, I am spiritual. I believe in the rhythm of the universe and I do transcendental meditation twice a day. My children are joining the Catholic Church, we live in Ireland, and I think that it is important that they know what Christianity is all about, and I want them to form their own opinions concerning religion.

I was raised in the baptist church. Went to a private christian school. I was being groomed for the ministry as a pastor. My parents are currently missionaries.

But around the age of 18 I started questioning doctrine. The more questions I asked, the more I found I didn't like the answers. By 24 I had quit going to church and by 26 I was disowned by some of my old friends, and no longer considered myself a christian.

Your friends do not sound as if they are true Christians.

Dude,

I know you dont want to hear this but you really should contact your mother.

Why? I have no obligation to her. She chose her path.

It may not go well but at least you will always KNOW you tried.

Its the kind of thing that could haunt you all your life.

No I'm good with it.

Your intellectualising emotions.

Its wont help you

You're assuming a lot aren't you?

I dealt with the fact that my mother is toxic a long time ago. Nothing is going to change that. I am much better off without her in my life. You'll have to trust me on this because I do not feel like recounting my childhood here.

You're first mistake....going to a Catholic church.
When I started going to church i was already in my early 40's. We started out going to a Lutheran Church, which is an off-shoot of the Catholic, and we got NOTHING out of it. We were bored out of our minds.

We started going to a Nazarene Church and the difference was like day and night! So if it was Catholic, i can see why you decided to leave.

Yeah when I was 8 I chose to go to a Catholic church.

Did you choose the first cult meeting your parents took you to?

My parents didn't go to church. If you read what i wrote, i didn't start going until i was in my 40's. We were invited to the Lutheran church by some people we knew....decided we didn't care for it. As for the Catholic church, we visited a few times, and to me it was a cult. I can see why you wanted to leave! If you've never gone to any other kind of church, then you have nothing to compare. I got more out of just reading my Bible and prayer than i did at the Lutheran church we went to.

I have no use for religion in my life.

I don't believe in the magic man in the sky or eternal paradise.

Yeah when I was 8 I chose to go to a Catholic church.

Did you choose the first cult meeting your parents took you to?

My parents didn't go to church. If you read what i wrote, i didn't start going until i was in my 40's. We were invited to the Lutheran church by some people we knew....decided we didn't care for it. As for the Catholic church, we visited a few times, and to me it was a cult. I can see why you wanted to leave! If you've never gone to any other kind of church, then you have nothing to compare. I got more out of just reading my Bible and prayer than i did at the Lutheran church we went to.

What if you're wrong? Because i believe you are....but it's you're choice and i'm not one to push my beliefs on others, but i can put you in my prayers that you'll realize you're mistake before it's too late.

I don't go to church now....I'm involved in Bible study groups with other people. I only mentioned you looking into other church's because it really does make a difference. But you also run into quite a few hypocrites and that was our biggest problem, especially if some of the hypocrites are the pastors. So, we don't feel any different in our beliefs, we just don't get involved in denominational Churches who all think their way is the right way. The right way is always following what the Bible teaches us (New Testament...since we're Christian) and live how God wants us to.

I'll tell you what though a good catholic mass is a god damn spectacle. It's got all the other churches beat there.

I never cared for it, it just seems to OVER the top to me!
I enjoy going to a small church that actually teaches directly from the Bible, and we discuss how the Bible and everyday life go hand in hand. How to apply different circumstances of our lives to what the Bible tells us....and to have someone that has studied the Bible for years helping us to understand it. I love having Bible study where we all sit and discuss it and hearing the different views. I don't care for all the pomp and circumstance that comes with a big church like the Catholic. Seems fake to me.....

The key to a Catholic Mass is that you witness a Mass, you don't necessarily participate in it. I remember going to latin Mass as a kid. They didn't even care if you knew what was going on....you just had to punch your ticket

Seems like a waste if you don't understand it.....and that's why i left the Lutheran church, i didn't understand half of what they would talk about!

The title of this thread "Used to be Christian, now atheist/other" reminds me of several verses regarding the subject in the Bible.

They speak for themselves, but it is clear from them that a person who says they once believed but now say they do NOT believe, never really did.

If they did believe Him, they would've continue on in Jesus Christ. Or rather, their believing in Him would manifest itself in their lifelong committment to Christ; never denying Him.

If they went "out", that it would be manifest that they are not from us. We either believe Him and what He did for us, or we don't. These verses also take reference to lying antichrist spirits; the ones that deny Jesus Christ is the Truth.

1 John 2

18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

That is not to say it is ever too late for a person. The Lord has said, He is always there. He does not forsake us, we forsake Him. He is knocking, He knows if our hearts are true and He is waiting for us to realize His love and all that means. He doesn't turn people away...Rather, people turn Him away.

I love how people delude themselves with this tripe.

I was 'saved' early in life. I spent a decade immersed in the bible. Spoke and personally led people to the lord as a teenager and young adult. Traveled the world with missionary parents working with them spreading the word.

And you have the sack, the temerity to claim I wasn't a christian. Me, who did more for your belief system than 90% of believers on the planet. Who prayed daily, multiple times.

You are truly blind. These versus are clearly written with a single purpose. To undermine and discredit, among christians, those who see through the lies.

It's an ingenious system really. Claim only believers ever truly understand. Claim all who walk away from the religion were frauds to begin with. Give credit to god for every good thing. Dismiss every bad thing as the result of sin or gods inexplicable plan.

When will people wake up to the fact that this is all a mask to cover up the fact that it's all shit? Believers only understand because they believe. They accept on faith because they have faith. It isn't some mystical knowledge imparted on the faithful. It's knowing your imaginary friend is real because you know he is. It's believing that aliens probed your ass for some reason beyond understanding because you truly have the faith of the gullible.

But we just don't get it. I'm the one with my head in the sand. :cuckoo:

Then you were never REALLY a believer....if you can spend that many years calling yourself a Christian, but yet easily turn away from it, you never were one.

If you had ever seen a true miracle happen, you would not say you don't believe. Once you experience what God can and has done in your life, you could not walk away so easily. You were weak.....and that's where evil steps in, on those that are weak. You get sucked right up in the lies. There's nothing wrong with questioning God or questioning how He works...we've all had our doubts before. But you have to be strong, His ways aren't our ways. It's hard for us to understand....

The title of this thread "Used to be Christian, now atheist/other" reminds me of several verses regarding the subject in the Bible.

They speak for themselves, but it is clear from them that a person who says they once believed but now say they do NOT believe, never really did.

If they did believe Him, they would've continue on in Jesus Christ. Or rather, their believing in Him would manifest itself in their lifelong committment to Christ; never denying Him.

If they went "out", that it would be manifest that they are not from us. We either believe Him and what He did for us, or we don't. These verses also take reference to lying antichrist spirits; the ones that deny Jesus Christ is the Truth.

That is not to say it is ever too late for a person. The Lord has said, He is always there. He does not forsake us, we forsake Him. He is knocking, He knows if our hearts are true and He is waiting for us to realize His love and all that means. He doesn't turn people away...Rather, people turn Him away.

I was 'saved' early in life. I spent a decade immersed in the bible. Spoke and personally led people to the lord as a teenager and young adult. Traveled the world with missionary parents working with them spreading the word.

And you have the sack, the temerity to claim I wasn't a christian. Me, who did more for your belief system than 90% of believers on the planet. Who prayed daily, multiple times.

You are truly blind. These versus are clearly written with a single purpose. To undermine and discredit, among christians, those who see through the lies.

It's an ingenious system really. Claim only believers ever truly understand. Claim all who walk away from the religion were frauds to begin with. Give credit to god for every good thing. Dismiss every bad thing as the result of sin or gods inexplicable plan.

When will people wake up to the fact that this is all a mask to cover up the fact that it's all shit? Believers only understand because they believe. They accept on faith because they have faith. It isn't some mystical knowledge imparted on the faithful. It's knowing your imaginary friend is real because you know he is. It's believing that aliens probed your ass for some reason beyond understanding because you truly have the faith of the gullible.

Then you were never REALLY a believer....if you can spend that many years calling yourself a Christian, but yet easily turn away from it, you never were one.

If you had ever seen a true miracle happen, you would not say you don't believe. Once you experience what God can and has done in your life, you could not walk away so easily. You were weak.....and that's where evil steps in, on those that are weak. You get sucked right up in the lies. There's nothing wrong with questioning God or questioning how He works...we've all had our doubts before. But you have to be strong, His ways aren't our ways. It's hard for us to understand....

Being a Christian, I find it very judgemental to tell someone what they did or did not believe. Instead, I look at the parable Christ gave concerning the sower of the seed with the seed represents God's word. Not all the seed falls where it should, and there are many obstacles for a seed to sprout roots, grow, and avoid being snuffed out.

In the end, whoever overcomes the persecution and oppression to prevent their seed from producing fruit will prevail.

I'm interested in this subject, because one of my cousins and I are very close. We were raised in the same church background, and I remain in the church, and he is an atheist. Some of my thinking has changed from talking to him, though I won't get into specifics just yet (except to say, I don't believe he's going to hell. Of course, he doesn't believe anything happens after we die.)

Where are you at?

I have to say, I believe in hell. If there were no hell, why is there hell here on earth?

The harder question is, why is their suffering, not what degree of suffering proves or disproves God's existence.

Why is it people think there is no hell, excepting for Hitelr, Gengis Khan, Stalin, and Dick Cheney?

Last edited:

Who said it was easy? It took years to get over the fear, the angst. I was, and still am, ostracized by many I grew up with. My own parents believe I am going to hell.

I do appreciate how you demonstrated my point. Thank you for that.

Where are you at?

I have to say, I believe in hell. If there were no hell, why is there hell here on earth?

The harder question is, why is their suffering, not what degree of suffering proves or disproves God's existence.

Why is it people think there is no hell, excepting for Hitelr, Gengis Khan, Stalin, and Dick Cheney?

Because it would take a horrible deity to punish people infinitely for finite acts. And I believe people are hardwired to believe or not believe, so I also can't buy that people will burn forever for disbelief. Faith is a gift, and I think just from seeing people posting in this thread, it is obvious the gift is not given to all (as some believe).

What if you're wrong? Because i believe you are....but it's you're choice and i'm not one to push my beliefs on others, but i can put you in my prayers that you'll realize you're mistake before it's too late.

I'm not asking you to pray for me so please don't.

1 John 2

18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

Your reply speaks for itself also.

So you are going to tell me that once upon a time you knew that Jesus Christ was the Lord, but now you don't believe that. This begs the question...How can someone unKNOW" something?

How can anyone say they knew that Jesus Christ is Lord, and teach that to others (as you claimed you have) but then along their life later say, "no I dont believe that." The fact remains that you never really believed.

I'm not saying this because I can read your mind, or I'm trying to be holier than thou.. ( I know I'm not!) It's just a fact..we can't "unknow" something.

You either knew Him..or you didn't. We can't "unKNOW" someone. That's like saying. I know my mom was mom... but now I don't know or I dont believe she is. (((???)))

You're only other alternative is saying that you still know that He is the truth, but you have decided to take the other side.

Quite true...It is the basis for faith

Lay the guilt on anyone who dares question the doctrine

What guilt would you have if you truly believe there is no God? LOL No guilt for you.. you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself, right? Why even be guilty?

I was raised Catholic and attended weekly Mass until I was 17.

At around the age of 13, I started to question the stories I was being told. To me, they were obvious fables with a lesson at the end. I wondered why the people around me actually believed these things. . I began to understand what faith was. Faith was a suspension of disbelief necessary for religion to exist

By the time I went to College at 17, I no longer went to Mass and haven't been back since

Pretty similar experience to mine, except I was raised in the Orthodox church.

My mother (whom I don't get on with, we haven't spoken in years) was a believer (although it was more about the see and be seen) and my father really wasn't.

Where are you at?

Because it would take a horrible deity to punish people infinitely for finite acts. And I believe people are hardwired to believe or not believe, so I also can't buy that people will burn forever for disbelief. Faith is a gift, and I think just from seeing people posting in this thread, it is obvious the gift is not given to all (as some believe).

When I was young, the first thing thing that turned me off to the whole charade was that there was this "loving" god who demanded you worship him, and if you fail to do it, would cast you in a burning pit for eternity.

Lots of other things made no sense either, but that was the first.

I was raised Catholic and attended weekly Mass until I was 17.

At around the age of 13, I started to question the stories I was being told. To me, they were obvious fables with a lesson at the end. I wondered why the people around me actually believed these things. . I began to understand what faith was. Faith was a suspension of disbelief necessary for religion to exist

By the time I went to College at 17, I no longer went to Mass and haven't been back since

And where are you on the spiritual plane?

Your reply speaks for itself also.

So you are going to tell me that once upon a time you knew that Jesus Christ was the Lord, but now you don't believe that. This begs the question...How can someone unKNOW" something?

How can anyone say they knew that Jesus Christ is Lord, and teach that to others (as you claimed you have) but then along their life later say, "no I dont believe that." The fact remains that you never really believed.

I'm not saying this because I can read your mind, or I'm trying to be holier than thou.. ( I know I'm not!) It's just a fact..we can't "unknow" something.

You either knew Him..or you didn't. We can't "unKNOW" someone. That's like saying. I know my mom was mom... but now I don't know or I dont believe she is. (((???)))

You're only other alternative is saying that you still know that He is the truth, but you have decided to take the other side.

That is among the most absurd post I've ever read.

Anyone who believes god actually talks to them is delusional. The bible doesn't even make such claims. He may "speak to you" indirectly through his word or things that happen to you. But even my parents don't believe he talks to you.

If he did, belief would be a non issue. Faith would be a shallow thing. I could simply ask him wtf he was thinking.

Being a Christian, I find it very judgemental to tell someone what they did or did not believe. Instead, I look at the parable Christ gave concerning the sower of the seed with the seed represents God's word. Not all the seed falls where it should, and there are many obstacles for a seed to sprout roots, grow, and avoid being snuffed out.

In the end, whoever overcomes the persecution and oppression to prevent their seed from producing fruit will prevail.

If someone is claming something outright with their words, how is our reply being judgementall if they've claimed something in which we specifically are to watch out for?

And/or how are we to discern who is really a believer in Christ or not? Aren't we to watch out for false prophets, or false teachers..ones who even deny the Lord like the verses below?

Many of these people here are outright denying Christ. They have denied His deity with your mouths. Yes, God only knows their hearts and if one will repent one day, but I made that clear in my previous post..or rather, that the Lord is there with open arms as His Word says.

2 Peter 2
2 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Also, these verses (which I didn't mention in first post) which go onto talk about the antichrist spirit:

1 John 4
4 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.

Quite true...It is the basis for faith

Lay the guilt on anyone who dares question the doctrine

What guilt would you have if you truly believe there is no God? LOL No guilt for you.. you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself, right? Why even be guilty?

Obviously now there is none. But there is a transition. When you are immersed in the faith you are told constantly, daily, that disbelief is akin to death. That questioning is something to be done infrequently and carefully. They constantly tell you the same stuff you are hearing here. That too much doubt is a sign that you never really believed in the fist place.

Talk about terrifying. It's the reason that kids often go running up front multiple time professing faith. They are afraid they just didn't believe hard enough and might end up in hell inadvertently. And this message is pushed constantly, or at least was in the baptist church I grew up in.

Forum List

Back