Used to be Christian, now atheist/other

I refused to be indoctrinated.

I stopped attending church and catechism when I was in 3rd grade.

I was asking too many questions when some creepy old priest grabbed my by the face and yelled, "You are not here to ask questions. You are here to listen and believe!"

I smacked his hand and walked out never to return to the cult.

You're first mistake....going to a Catholic church.
When I started going to church i was already in my early 40's. We started out going to a Lutheran Church, which is an off-shoot of the Catholic, and we got NOTHING out of it. We were bored out of our minds.

We started going to a Nazarene Church and the difference was like day and night! So if it was Catholic, i can see why you decided to leave.

Yeah when I was 8 I chose to go to a Catholic church.

Did you choose the first cult meeting your parents took you to?

I was raised Catholic and attended weekly Mass until I was 17.

At around the age of 13, I started to question the stories I was being told. To me, they were obvious fables with a lesson at the end. I wondered why the people around me actually believed these things. . I began to understand what faith was. Faith was a suspension of disbelief necessary for religion to exist

By the time I went to College at 17, I no longer went to Mass and haven't been back since

I'm interested in this subject, because one of my cousins and I are very close. We were raised in the same church background, and I remain in the church, and he is an atheist. Some of my thinking has changed from talking to him, though I won't get into specifics just yet (except to say, I don't believe he's going to hell. Of course, he doesn't believe anything happens after we die.)

Where are you at?

when I was about 5 I was in church with my mother and the pastor started in on the story of Abraham.

I desided right then and there this this place was not for me.

I could not believe that a "god" would "test" a human in such a way.

I at that mommet realized that I was morally above what they were teaching in that hall.

I never really believed in any of what they said from that momment on.

I go by the facts that can be discerned to deside about the world.

there is No PROOF that any of the gods throughout time that man has conjured up to soooth himself are real.

myths can teach you things but they are not real

my mother and my sister stayed in the cult. i opted out. There was no way I was going to church unless I was dragged kicking and screaming and my mother knew it.

Must not have meant that much to her then. My grandma would drag anybody, because she *knew* if she didn't, they were hellbound.

Don't know how important it was to her and don't care.

If fact I haven't seen or spoken to my mother in nearly 10 years.

Dude,

I know you dont want to hear this but you really should contact your mother.

It may not go well but at least you will always KNOW you tried.

Its the kind of thing that could haunt you all your life.

I was watching the Science channel put on a show about how the earth was created and how it got to modern day.

When the 50th coincidence was shown, I had to admit that that many, in one place, had to be on purpose.

I think religion is bullshit, for the most part, I simply believe there must be something.

Must not have meant that much to her then. My grandma would drag anybody, because she *knew* if she didn't, they were hellbound.

Dude,

My fingers cramp and my knuckles pop as I type this

TM is right.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw]Dramatic Chipmunk - YouTube[/ame]

Call your mom

I was raised Catholic and attended weekly Mass until I was 17.

At around the age of 13, I started to question the stories I was being told. To me, they were obvious fables with a lesson at the end. I wondered why the people around me actually believed these things. . I began to understand what faith was. Faith was a suspension of disbelief necessary for religion to exist
By the time I went to College at 17, I no longer went to Mass and haven't been back since

Best (bolded) synopsis I've ever seen. :thup:

I lasted up to about age 30. I hung in there because I felt I had a special relationship not to the Church but with the mother of Christ. I still do to this day, but the rest of it?
I can do without it.

Dude,

Why? I have no obligation to her. She chose her path.

No I'm good with it.

I was raised Catholic, and I still attend chuch on a regular basis. I find the belief comforting, and mass always seems to make me feel better. (I think it might be the music)
The whole "there is no proof/evidence!" argument always confused me. This isn't about scientific principles, it's about belief. No, I can't "prove" God exists, anymore than you can disprove that he exists.

I feel sorry for the people that have had bad experiences with Catholicism, because I've found that the vast majority take the standard teachings about kindness and compassion to heart. I've had at least one very frank discussion about gay marriage with a priest and we both talked about it like adults, without anyone shouting or attacking anyone else.

The church I currently attend has a weekly GLBT discussion group. I've been too busy to attend any of the meetings yet, because I've been going to this church for less than a year, but I'm curious. And they mention it frequently as part of the weekly notices, so it's not like they're hiding it.
I don't consider Catholicism to be a "cult" any more than being Republican or Democrat

When most people say Catholic they mean Roman Catholic, though I guess they could also mean Russian-Orthodox Catholic, which I think is somewhat like the Jewish Orthodox followers in terms of....religious intensity (I can't really think of a good word here, sorry).
Most catholics are substantially more laid back.

If you say "Christian" then you are also including a whole bunch of protestant groups, some widespread and some limited to a single parish. IMO, the Catholics (who are a subset of christians) tend to be more mainstream, while some (SOME! not all!) of these other Christian offshoots tend to attract the more extreme portions of the religious population.

If anyone has any questions regarding Catholicism, I'd be happy to answer them either in-thread or in a PM. Anything I can't answer I'll tell you, and try to ask a priest at my earliest conveniece. Just if anyone is curious.

Last edited:
Anything or anyone can become a cult.

For me, a cult is when you take your eyes off God/Jesus and focus them on someone or something else. This happens in churchs all the time when eyes are focused on a cult of peronality or the church comes before anything or anyone else etc.

Of course, those not of the faith I would not expect the same definition. In fact, I would probably view their preoccupations with other things other than God a cult.

Last edited:
The title of this thread "Used to be Christian, now atheist/other" reminds me of several verses regarding the subject in the Bible.

They speak for themselves, but it is clear from them that a person who says they once believed but now say they do NOT believe, never really did.

If they did believe Him, they would've continue on in Jesus Christ. Or rather, their believing in Him would manifest itself in their lifelong committment to Christ; never denying Him.

If they went "out", that it would be manifest that they are not from us. We either believe Him and what He did for us, or we don't. These verses also take reference to lying antichrist spirits; the ones that deny Jesus Christ is the Truth.

1 John 2

18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

That is not to say it is ever too late for a person. The Lord has said, He is always there. He does not forsake us, we forsake Him. He is knocking, He knows if our hearts are true and He is waiting for us to realize His love and all that means. He doesn't turn people away...Rather, people turn Him away.

Last edited:
The title of this thread "Used to be Christian, now atheist/other" reminds me of several verses regarding the subject in the Bible.

They speak for themselves, but it is clear from them that a person who says they once believed but now say they do NOT believe, never really did.

If they did believe Him, they would've continue on in Jesus Christ. Or rather, their believing in Him would manifest itself in their lifelong committment to Christ; never denying Him.

If they went "out", that it would be manifest that they are not from us. We either believe Him and what He did for us, or we don't. These verses also take reference to lying antichrist spirits; the ones that deny Jesus Christ is the Truth.

1 John 2

18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

That is not to say it is ever too late for a person. The Lord has said, He is always there. He does not forsake us, we forsake Him. He is knocking, He knows if our hearts are true and He is waiting for us to realize His love and all that means. He doesn't turn people away...Rather, people turn Him away.

I love how people delude themselves with this tripe.

I was 'saved' early in life. I spent a decade immersed in the bible. Spoke and personally led people to the lord as a teenager and young adult. Traveled the world with missionary parents working with them spreading the word.

And you have the sack, the temerity to claim I wasn't a christian. Me, who did more for your belief system than 90% of believers on the planet. Who prayed daily, multiple times.

You are truly blind. These versus are clearly written with a single purpose. To undermine and discredit, among christians, those who see through the lies.

It's an ingenious system really. Claim only believers ever truly understand. Claim all who walk away from the religion were frauds to begin with. Give credit to god for every good thing. Dismiss every bad thing as the result of sin or gods inexplicable plan.

When will people wake up to the fact that this is all a mask to cover up the fact that it's all shit? Believers only understand because they believe. They accept on faith because they have faith. It isn't some mystical knowledge imparted on the faithful. It's knowing your imaginary friend is real because you know he is. It's believing that aliens probed your ass for some reason beyond understanding because you truly have the faith of the gullible.

But we just don't get it. I'm the one with my head in the sand. :cuckoo:

Dude,

Why? I have no obligation to her. She chose her path.

No I'm good with it.

Your intellectualising emotions.

Its wont help you

1 John 2

I love how people delude themselves with this tripe.

I was 'saved' early in life. I spent a decade immersed in the bible. Spoke and personally led people to the lord as a teenager and young adult. Traveled the world with missionary parents working with them spreading the word.

And you have the sack, the temerity to claim I wasn't a christian. Me, who did more for your belief system than 90% of believers on the planet. Who prayed daily, multiple times.

You are truly blind. These versus are clearly written with a single purpose. To undermine and discredit, among christians, those who see through the lies.

It's an ingenious system really. Claim only believers ever truly understand. Claim all who walk away from the religion were frauds to begin with. Give credit to god for every good thing. Dismiss every bad thing as the result of sin or gods inexplicable plan.

When will people wake up to the fact that this is all a mask to cover up the fact that it's all shit? Believers only understand because they believe. They accept on faith because they have faith. It isn't some mystical knowledge imparted on the faithful. It's knowing your imaginary friend is real because you know he is. It's believing that aliens probed your ass for some reason beyond understanding because you truly have the faith of the gullible.

But we just don't get it. I'm the one with my head in the sand. :cuckoo:

Quite true...It is the basis for faith

Lay the guilt on anyone who dares question the doctrine

I refused to be indoctrinated.

I stopped attending church and catechism when I was in 3rd grade.

I was asking too many questions when some creepy old priest grabbed my by the face and yelled, "You are not here to ask questions. You are here to listen and believe!"

I smacked his hand and walked out never to return to the cult.

You're first mistake....going to a Catholic church.
When I started going to church i was already in my early 40's. We started out going to a Lutheran Church, which is an off-shoot of the Catholic, and we got NOTHING out of it. We were bored out of our minds.

We started going to a Nazarene Church and the difference was like day and night! So if it was Catholic, i can see why you decided to leave.

Yeah when I was 8 I chose to go to a Catholic church.

Did you choose the first cult meeting your parents took you to?

My parents didn't go to church. If you read what i wrote, i didn't start going until i was in my 40's. We were invited to the Lutheran church by some people we knew....decided we didn't care for it. As for the Catholic church, we visited a few times, and to me it was a cult. I can see why you wanted to leave! If you've never gone to any other kind of church, then you have nothing to compare. I got more out of just reading my Bible and prayer than i did at the Lutheran church we went to.

It seems like when i hear of people that have left and become un-believers, the majority of them have always been Catholics. I get negged all the time for this comments....but i've always believed Catholics were more cult than Christian. There's much of their faith that are not what i believe is what God taught us.

I'll tell you what though a good catholic mass is a god damn spectacle. It's got all the other churches beat there.

I never cared for it, it just seems to OVER the top to me!
I enjoy going to a small church that actually teaches directly from the Bible, and we discuss how the Bible and everyday life go hand in hand. How to apply different circumstances of our lives to what the Bible tells us....and to have someone that has studied the Bible for years helping us to understand it. I love having Bible study where we all sit and discuss it and hearing the different views. I don't care for all the pomp and circumstance that comes with a big church like the Catholic. Seems fake to me.....

It seems like when i hear of people that have left and become un-believers, the majority of them have always been Catholics. I get negged all the time for this comments....but i've always believed Catholics were more cult than Christian. There's much of their faith that are not what i believe is what God taught us.

I'll tell you what though a good catholic mass is a god damn spectacle. It's got all the other churches beat there.

I never cared for it, it just seems to OVER the top to me!
I enjoy going to a small church that actually teaches directly from the Bible, and we discuss how the Bible and everyday life go hand in hand. How to apply different circumstances of our lives to what the Bible tells us....and to have someone that has studied the Bible for years helping us to understand it. I love having Bible study where we all sit and discuss it and hearing the different views. I don't care for all the pomp and circumstance that comes with a big church like the Catholic. Seems fake to me.....

The key to a Catholic Mass is that you witness a Mass, you don't necessarily participate in it. I remember going to latin Mass as a kid. They didn't even care if you knew what was going on....you just had to punch your ticket

Forum List

Back