USA Today editorial board declares Trump unfit for Presidency

Do you see the difference between targeting players and targeting the population?
I see the difference within the context of your point, I just don't agree.

How so?
I honestly don't know how to respond here. I realize there is nothing I can say. You see absolutes, I don't. You see one candidate as defensible and the other as tearing the nation apart, I don't care for either candidate. This is an asymmetrical conversation. Maybe you should be having this conversation with a left wing partisan ideologue who will respond with their own attacks and absolutes.

You are aware of why I believe one candidate is tearing this nation apart.

You could explain why you disagree with my analysis on that, OR what about Trump there is that balances out that negative of Hillary's.
Of those two options, the latter would be easier.

First, I agree with much of what the USA Today article listed: He is erratic, he is ill-equipped to be Commander in Chief, he isn't leveling with the American people, he speaks recklessly, he has coarsened the American dialogue, and while I wouldn't necessarily say that he is a serial liar, I would definitely say that I have never seen anyone who communicates almost exclusively in blatant hyperbole like this man - which leaves me in the same position as dealing with a serial liar in that nothing he says can be taken seriously.

Further, he simply can't let things go when someone gets under his skin, his childish early morning tweets about that Machado lady being just the latest ridiculous example. It's pretty obvious that such a character flaw can be dangerous in such a dangerous, hair-trigger world. I am also not at all convinced that he possesses the intellectual agility or capacity required of someone who holds that office. Yes, he has enjoyed a measure of success in business, but overwhelming people through the sheer force of your personality is not going to work in this position.

And I haven't even gotten into the issues. Why bother? No one can predict with any certainty what he would actually do, because (a) no one really knows his core beliefs and (b) he's likely to turn on a dime on any of them.

And finally, I don't really know if I need to even list these flaws. I'm pretty sure his fans see them, at least on a subconscious level, but they're willing to brush them away like flies at a picnic because (a) they have completely bought into his bizarre act and (b) they have allowed themselves to be convinced that Hillary Clinton is literally some kind of Attila the Hun/Chairman Mao hybrid.

Again, I don't like Hillary Clinton. She's an awful, awful candidate. But Trump should not be President, and I feel obliged (especially in a swing state) to vote accordingly. And even though I do lean a little left, had the GOP run a sane ticket like Kasich/Rubio, I probably would have voted for them.

1. IF he has been open about his use of hyperbole, for decades, which he has, then such hyperbole is not LYING, in the sense that he is trying to actually fool someone.

1b Coarsened the American dialogue? It has been moving in that direction for quite some time. This is the Right's response to the last 50 years of being vilified. And still we are behind the curve compared to the Left, with their CONSTANT use of the Race Card, and now the Godwin Card.

2. We do NOT live in a hair trigger world, anymore thanks to our victory in the Cold War. The ONE conflict that could really spiral out of control quickly is the one that he is on the right side of, ie STOP fucking with Russia.

3. He has been constant on Trade and Immigration and Russia. That softening of his on immigration was "hyperbole" by the media.

4. This country is at a tipping point. Did you ever expect to see the Party elites of both parties openly conspiring to ignore the primaries? Hillary won vs the Will of the Democratic voters. We need to change direction in a lot of ways. Trump might fail at that. HIllary won't even try. She will actively support US continuing down the wrong path.

wanting to protect our borders and control who enters our country is neither religion or race baiting, it is common sense.

The common sense of the electorate does not agree with Trump with regard to the Hispanic undocumented population that has been living here for over a decade.

Immigration from Mexico's Hispanic population is lower than emigration to the US.

Trump is a liar on that aspect of the problem. The motive for lying is race baiting.

Why else would he do it.

more BS talking points. Trump has said that we need to find a way to legalize those who have been here a long time and have not committed any crimes. He also said that those who have committed crimes should be deported immediately. Which of those do you disagree with?

as to your "race baiting" comment----------Mexican is NOT a race. Mexicans can be Caucasians, negroes, Asians, Indians, or any other race. Mexican identifies what country you came from, not your race.

This nation will not survive HIllary.

Her tactics and her issues are tearing this nation apart.

Trump is trying to bring US together.

This nation will not survive Hillary

We heard the same thing about Obama for eight years. Obamacare will destroy the economy, Obama is a Trainwreck, the stock market will crash, rampant inflation is just around the corner

Rinse/Repeat

yes, and those predictions about Obama have come true. he has doubled our debt, put more americans in poverty and on food stamps than ever before, had the longest recession in history, destroyed the best medical system in the world, weakened us internationally, funded our enemies, and divided us like never before. Worst president in history is an understatement.

Some Trainwreck.

The economy added $50 trillion to our national wealth.....More than any President in history
Republicans predicted we would lose millions of jobs because of Obamacare, instead, we added 8 million jobs

neither of those statements are true. Just because the obozo media pumps something into your head, does not make it true.

obamacare cost us millions of full time jobs. it forced employers to cut hours in order to afford to stay in business. it raised the premiums and deductibles for every, ran doctors out of practice and caused insurance companies to force people to pay for coverage that they did not want or need.

National "net worth" ? are you fricken crazy? he doubled the national debt. what would your net worth do if you doubled your debt?

damn, you libs are the dumbest creatures on planet earth.
Look....you can have your own opinion but not your own facts

Obama has added $50 trillion to our national wealth. That is not deniable.
Neither is adding over 8 million jobs

Our debt pales in comparison to the $123 trillion in national wealth

Facts are a bitch aren't they?

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

you continue to display your ignorance. It is true that the stock market has gone up thereby creating more paper wealth. The treasury has also printed more money, creating more paper wealth. Note the word paper.

Obama has doubled the national debt, creating more real debt that must be serviced (interest paid on it) and someday be paid back.

Our population has increased over the last 8 years, by legal births, illegal births, legal immigration, and illegal invasion. Many of those new people found jobs, Obama had nothing to do with it----------but he did make many of those new jobs part time due to the obozocare law.

Trump has a crude, even vulgar public persona.

That is hardly crazy.

Hillary is seriously running on painting half the nation as crazy Nazis.

That is crazy.

If you give a damn about this nation.
As bad and embarrassing as Trump's persona is, there is far more to it than that me.

I think he lacks the temperament, intellectual elasticity and overall capacity for the position.

Hillary? Yeah, that's one truly lousy candidate right there. And even though I lean a bit to the left, I would most likely have voted for a sane, intelligent, rational GOP ticket like Kasich/Rubio.

But I'm told my vote is needed.

The funny part is that Hillary was eminently beatable in 2016. Everything was in the Republicans favor.....then they selected Trump

Well before Trump was selected you started a thread claiming that the Next Republican candidate has not been born.

You made a strong case.

Now you are saying it is Trump's fault.

Do you even realize that that proves you are lying?
Very true

And the slim window Republicans had to win the Presidency in 2016 was blown when they selected Trump

Trumps destruction of the women's vote, Hispanics and minorities will blow Republican chances to take back the White House for decades

You can't have it both ways.

If demographics are changing so that no republican can ever win, which was your prediction well before Trump,

then you don't get to blame individual republican candidates, like Trump, for their loss.

The dem lock on minority votes was set in concrete long before TRump.

AS YOU DESCRIBED LAST YEAR.

You are being dishonest.

It is bad enough that you lefties have come up with a system for total control.

Lying and telling us it is our fault is just adding insult to injury.

Are you actively trying to make sure that the future is as shitty as possible?

And the time frame is not decades. It's generations.

If Republicans had run Kasih, Rubio or Bush in 2016 they could have had a chance

With Trump, they are spitting in the face of women, Muslims, Hispanics and minorities

They have turned into the party of Trump

This nation will not survive Hillary

We heard the same thing about Obama for eight years. Obamacare will destroy the economy, Obama is a Trainwreck, the stock market will crash, rampant inflation is just around the corner

Rinse/Repeat

yes, and those predictions about Obama have come true. he has doubled our debt, put more americans in poverty and on food stamps than ever before, had the longest recession in history, destroyed the best medical system in the world, weakened us internationally, funded our enemies, and divided us like never before. Worst president in history is an understatement.

Some Trainwreck.

The economy added $50 trillion to our national wealth.....More than any President in history
Republicans predicted we would lose millions of jobs because of Obamacare, instead, we added 8 million jobs

neither of those statements are true. Just because the obozo media pumps something into your head, does not make it true.

obamacare cost us millions of full time jobs. it forced employers to cut hours in order to afford to stay in business. it raised the premiums and deductibles for every, ran doctors out of practice and caused insurance companies to force people to pay for coverage that they did not want or need.

National "net worth" ? are you fricken crazy? he doubled the national debt. what would your net worth do if you doubled your debt?

you continue to display your ignorance. It is true that the stock market has gone up thereby creating more paper wealth. The treasury has also printed more money, creating more paper wealth. Note the word paper.

Obama has doubled the national debt, creating more real debt that must be serviced (interest paid on it) and someday be paid back.

Our population has increased over the last 8 years, by legal births, illegal births, legal immigration, and illegal invasion. Many of those new people found jobs, Obama had nothing to do with it----------but he did make many of those new jobs part time due to the obozocare law.
If the economy had gone up due to more money in circulation we would have a devalued dollar and rampant inflation

We have neither

What is an illegal birth?

This >>>>>>>>>>>> If demographics are changing so that no republican can ever win, which was your prediction well before Trump,
then you don't get to blame individual republican candidates, like Trump, for their loss <<<<<< is a typical comment that demonstrates the Alt Right is out of touch with reality.

Of course Trump is blameworthy if he is representing an America that is disappearing, not coming back, and would destroy America if it did.

That's on Trump.

As bad and embarrassing as Trump's persona is, there is far more to it than that me.

I think he lacks the temperament, intellectual elasticity and overall capacity for the position.

Hillary? Yeah, that's one truly lousy candidate right there. And even though I lean a bit to the left, I would most likely have voted for a sane, intelligent, rational GOP ticket like Kasich/Rubio.

But I'm told my vote is needed.

The funny part is that Hillary was eminently beatable in 2016. Everything was in the Republicans favor.....then they selected Trump

Well before Trump was selected you started a thread claiming that the Next Republican candidate has not been born.

You made a strong case.

Very true

And the slim window Republicans had to win the Presidency in 2016 was blown when they selected Trump

Trumps destruction of the women's vote, Hispanics and minorities will blow Republican chances to take back the White House for decades

If demographics are changing so that no republican can ever win, which was your prediction well before Trump,

then you don't get to blame individual republican candidates, like Trump, for their loss.

You are being dishonest.

If Republicans had run Kasih, Rubio or Bush in 2016 they could have had a chance

With Trump, they are spitting in the face of women, Muslims, Hispanics and minorities

No matter who the REpublcians run, you lefties will play the Race Card.

You did it with McCain. YOu did it with Romney. You did with Reagan.

The dems have long ago become the party of lies and the Race Card.

You don't get to have it both ways.

If the next Republican president has not been born yet, which is YOUR claim, then the actions and policies of the republican candidates is NOT THE CAUSE.

You want your system for complete control, but you don't want to take the responsibility for it. You want to blame your defeated enemies.

That is really shitty of you.

As I discussed with you last year, your path is almost certain to lead to a shitty future of ever increasing racial strife.

Your desire to keep insulting and blaming and vilifying your defeated enemies, while you are oppressing them, removes what little chance that it would NOT blow up in your face.

Some Trainwreck.

If the economy had gone up due to more money in circulation we would have a devalued dollar and rampant inflation

We have neither

The use of the dollar as a global currency and the lack of a viable alternative counters that vector.

It is really comical to see a handful of clowns that just happen to be in the newspaper business declare that Trump is unfit while ignoring Crooked Hillary's massive corruption, dishonesty, incompetency and blatant disregard for national security.

There are are some real dumbasses in this country and that dumbass "editorial board" of that stupid newspaper is a great example.

Trump has his flaws but compared to this piece of shit Crooked Hillary he is a saint.

It is really comical to see a handful of clowns that just happen to be in the newspaper business declare that Trump is unfit while ignoring Crooked Hillary's massive corruption, dishonesty, incompetency and blatant disregard for national security.

There is no massive corruption, dishonesty, incompetency and blatant disregard for national security on Hillary Clinton's part. Your claims are based entirely on so much right-wing alternative reality that you are now calling every conservative newspaper editorial board that says Trump is unfit to serve, a handful of clowns.

If they were clowns they'd surely endorse Trump.

There are educated conservatives that know Trump is a phony and a fraud and no good could ever come from him being President.

Some Trainwreck.

We have neither

The use of the dollar as a global currency and the lack of a viable alternative counters that vector.
Hardly......more dollars in circulation weakens its value
Our dollar is the strongest currency in the world

Thanks President Obama

You made a strong case.

Very true

You are being dishonest.

If the next Republican president has not been born yet, which is YOUR claim, then the actions and policies of the republican candidates is NOT THE CAUSE.

You want your system for complete control, but you don't want to take the responsibility for it. You want to blame your defeated enemies.

As I discussed with you last year, your path is almost certain to lead to a shitty future of ever increasing racial strife.

Your desire to keep insulting and blaming and vilifying your defeated enemies, while you are oppressing them, removes what little chance that it would NOT blow up in your face.
When did we call McCain a racist?

Trump is, without a doubt a racist......that is not playing the race card

Sometimes you have to just do what's right

USA TODAY's Editorial Board: Trump is 'unfit for the presidency'

He is erratic. Trump has been on so many sides of so many issues that attempting to assess his policy positions is like shooting at a moving target. A list prepared by NBC details 124 shifts by Trump on 20 major issues since shortly before he entered the race. He simply spouts slogans and outcomes (he’d replace Obamacare with “something terrific”) without any credible explanations of how he’d achieve them.

He is ill-equipped to be commander in chief. Trump’s foreign policy pronouncements typically range from uninformed to incoherent. It’s not just Democrats who say this. Scores of Republican national security leaders have signed an extraordinary open letter calling Trump’s foreign policy vision “wildly inconsistent and unmoored in principle.” In a Wall Street Journal column this month, Robert Gates, the highly respected former Defense secretary who served presidents of both parties over a half-century, described Trump as “beyond repair.”

He traffics in prejudice. From the very beginning, Trump has built his campaign on appeals to bigotry and xenophobia, whipping up resentment against Mexicans, Muslims and migrants. His proposals for mass deportations and religious tests are unworkable and contrary to America’s ideals.

Trump has stirred racist sentiments in ways that can’t be erased by his belated and clumsy outreach to African Americans. His attacks on an Indiana-born federal judge of Mexican heritage fit “the textbook definition of a racist comment,” according to House Speaker Paul Ryan, the highest-ranking elected official in the Republican Party. And for five years, Trump fanned the absurd “birther” movement that falsely questioned the legitimacy of the nation’s first black president.

His business career is checkered. Trump has built his candidacy on his achievements as a real estate developer and entrepreneur. It’s a shaky scaffold, starting with a 1973 Justice Department suit against Trump and his father for systematically discriminating against blacks in housing rentals. (The Trumps fought the suit but later settled on terms that were viewed as a government victory.) Trump’s companies have had some spectacular financial successes, but this track record is marred by six bankruptcy filings, apparent misuse of the family’s charitable foundation, and allegations by Trump University customers of fraud. A series of investigative articles published by the USA TODAY Network found that Trump has been involved in thousands of lawsuits over the past three decades, including at least 60 that involved small businesses and contract employees who said they were stiffed. So much for being a champion of the little guy.

He isn’t leveling with the American people. Is Trump as rich as he says? No one knows, in part because, alone among major party presidential candidates for the past four decades, he refuses to release his tax returns. Nor do we know whether he has paid his fair share of taxes, or the extent of his foreign financial entanglements.

He speaks recklessly. In the days after the Republican convention, Trump invited Russian hackers to interfere with an American election by releasing Hillary Clinton’s emails, and he raised the prospect of “Second Amendment people” preventing the Democratic nominee from appointing liberal justices. It’s hard to imagine two more irresponsible statements from one presidential candidate.

He has coarsened the national dialogue. Did you ever imagine that a presidential candidate would discuss the size of his genitalia during a nationally televised Republican debate? Neither did we. Did you ever imagine a presidential candidate, one who avoided service in the military, would criticize Gold Star parents who lost a son in Iraq? Neither did we. Did you ever imagine you’d see a presidential candidate mock a disabled reporter? Neither did we. Trump’s inability or unwillingness to ignore criticism raises the specter of a president who, like Richard Nixon, would create enemies’ lists and be consumed with getting even with his critics.

He’s a serial liar. Although polls show that Clinton is considered less honest and trustworthy than Trump, it’s not even a close contest. Trump is in a league of his own when it comes to the quality and quantity of his misstatements. When confronted with a falsehood, such as his assertion that he was always against the Iraq War, Trump’s reaction is to use the Big Lie technique of repeating it so often that people begin to believe it.

We are not unmindful of the issues that Trump’s campaign has exploited: the disappearance of working-class jobs; excessive political correctness; the direction of the Supreme Court; urban unrest and street violence; the rise of the Islamic State terrorist group; gridlock in Washington and the influence of moneyed interests. All are legitimate sources of concern.

What swing voters read the USA Today?

He is erratic. Trump has been on so many sides of so many issues that attempting to assess his policy positions is like shooting at a moving target. A list prepared by NBC details 124 shifts by Trump on 20 major issues since shortly before he entered the race. He simply spouts slogans and outcomes (he’d replace Obamacare with “something terrific”) without any credible explanations of how he’d achieve them.

He is ill-equipped to be commander in chief. Trump’s foreign policy pronouncements typically range from uninformed to incoherent. It’s not just Democrats who say this. Scores of Republican national security leaders have signed an extraordinary open letter calling Trump’s foreign policy vision “wildly inconsistent and unmoored in principle.” In a Wall Street Journal column this month, Robert Gates, the highly respected former Defense secretary who served presidents of both parties over a half-century, described Trump as “beyond repair.”

He traffics in prejudice. From the very beginning, Trump has built his campaign on appeals to bigotry and xenophobia, whipping up resentment against Mexicans, Muslims and migrants. His proposals for mass deportations and religious tests are unworkable and contrary to America’s ideals.

Trump has stirred racist sentiments in ways that can’t be erased by his belated and clumsy outreach to African Americans. His attacks on an Indiana-born federal judge of Mexican heritage fit “the textbook definition of a racist comment,” according to House Speaker Paul Ryan, the highest-ranking elected official in the Republican Party. And for five years, Trump fanned the absurd “birther” movement that falsely questioned the legitimacy of the nation’s first black president.

His business career is checkered. Trump has built his candidacy on his achievements as a real estate developer and entrepreneur. It’s a shaky scaffold, starting with a 1973 Justice Department suit against Trump and his father for systematically discriminating against blacks in housing rentals. (The Trumps fought the suit but later settled on terms that were viewed as a government victory.) Trump’s companies have had some spectacular financial successes, but this track record is marred by six bankruptcy filings, apparent misuse of the family’s charitable foundation, and allegations by Trump University customers of fraud. A series of investigative articles published by the USA TODAY Network found that Trump has been involved in thousands of lawsuits over the past three decades, including at least 60 that involved small businesses and contract employees who said they were stiffed. So much for being a champion of the little guy.

He isn’t leveling with the American people. Is Trump as rich as he says? No one knows, in part because, alone among major party presidential candidates for the past four decades, he refuses to release his tax returns. Nor do we know whether he has paid his fair share of taxes, or the extent of his foreign financial entanglements.

He speaks recklessly. In the days after the Republican convention, Trump invited Russian hackers to interfere with an American election by releasing Hillary Clinton’s emails, and he raised the prospect of “Second Amendment people” preventing the Democratic nominee from appointing liberal justices. It’s hard to imagine two more irresponsible statements from one presidential candidate.

He has coarsened the national dialogue. Did you ever imagine that a presidential candidate would discuss the size of his genitalia during a nationally televised Republican debate? Neither did we. Did you ever imagine a presidential candidate, one who avoided service in the military, would criticize Gold Star parents who lost a son in Iraq? Neither did we. Did you ever imagine you’d see a presidential candidate mock a disabled reporter? Neither did we. Trump’s inability or unwillingness to ignore criticism raises the specter of a president who, like Richard Nixon, would create enemies’ lists and be consumed with getting even with his critics.

He’s a serial liar. Although polls show that Clinton is considered less honest and trustworthy than Trump, it’s not even a close contest. Trump is in a league of his own when it comes to the quality and quantity of his misstatements. When confronted with a falsehood, such as his assertion that he was always against the Iraq War, Trump’s reaction is to use the Big Lie technique of repeating it so often that people begin to believe it.

We are not unmindful of the issues that Trump’s campaign has exploited: the disappearance of working-class jobs; excessive political correctness; the direction of the Supreme Court; urban unrest and street violence; the rise of the Islamic State terrorist group; gridlock in Washington and the influence of moneyed interests. All are legitimate sources of concern.

Exactly as many will get the message. Exactly the same amount of supporters Trump will lose as a result.

Exactly as many will get the message. Exactly the same amount of supporters Trump will lose as a result.

Thinking people don't read presidential endorsement editorials any more.....they are too predictable and agenda driven. Swing voters in particular want data points, not opinion points. The birdcage liner you posted from McNews; devoid of original thought.

Thinking people don't read presidential endorsement editorials any more.....they are too predictable and agenda driven. Swing voters in particular want data points, not opinion points. The birdcage liner you posted from McNews; devoid of original thought.

"Thinking people" realize that this is different. It's unprecedented for this paper to take sides let alone take such a strong stand against a candidate. Other conservative stalwarts have also broken ranks this cycle. Thinking people realize this is more than simple partisanship.

We have neither

Hardly......more dollars in circulation weakens its value
Our dollar is the strongest currency in the world

Thanks President Obama

a currency backed by 20 trillion in debt is not strong. your ignorance continues.

your hero doubled our debt in 8 years, he added more debt than all other presidents COMBINED.

You made a strong case.

Very true

You are being dishonest.

When did we call McCain a racist?

Trump is, without a doubt a racist......that is not playing the race card

Hmmm, maybe you should ask the minorities working for him in high level executive positions, or ask the women working for him in high level executive positions.

BTW, Hispanic is not a race, muslim is not a race. enforcing our borders and immigration laws is not a racist action, it is a constitutional duty.

Forum List

Back