USA backing Islamic uprising?

I'm confused, shouldn't the Iranians be against what is happening in Egypt? after all they went through something similar to this with the Green movement, they should hope that the people don't succeed because there are alot of unhappy young people in Iran as well.

The situation is a lot more complicated than that.

Mubarek has cooperated with the West and with Israel, and has opposed Iranian influence in the region. The regime has, among other things, assisted with the Gaza blockade. That affects Hamas, which is an Iranian client. It has also worked as a power broker among Arab nations and between Arabs and Israel, which also limits Iranian hegemony and takes some pressure off Israel. The possibility of nurturing an Islamic client state in Egypt would put Iran in control of, among other things, Suez and entry to Gaza. You think they have no hands in the cookie jar already?

The Iranians have reason to want to see Mubarek gone.

Oh I'm sure the Iranians would love to see Mubarak gone there is no question about that, but are they sure they want to see it done this way, by an armed revolt from the people? like I said Iran has went through this before and there is still alot of unrest in that country, the fall of Mubarak could inspire the Iranian people to do try again to overthrow the clerics. If I were the Iranians I would distance myself from the Egyptians until this is finished.

I'm confused, shouldn't the Iranians be against what is happening in Egypt? after all they went through something similar to this with the Green movement, they should hope that the people don't succeed because there are alot of unhappy young people in Iran as well.

Mubarek has cooperated with the West and with Israel, and has opposed Iranian influence in the region. The regime has, among other things, assisted with the Gaza blockade. That affects Hamas, which is an Iranian client. It has also worked as a power broker among Arab nations and between Arabs and Israel, which also limits Iranian hegemony and takes some pressure off Israel. The possibility of nurturing an Islamic client state in Egypt would put Iran in control of, among other things, Suez and entry to Gaza. You think they have no hands in the cookie jar already?

Oh I'm sure the Iranians would love to see Mubarak gone there is no question about that, but are they sure they want to see it done this way, by an armed revolt from the people? like I said Iran has went through this before and there is still alot of unrest in that country, the fall of Mubarak could inspire the Iranian people to do try again to overthrow the clerics. If I were the Iranians I would distance myself from the Egyptians until this is finished.

How else is it going to happen?

They wouldn't be backing it if they didn't have a horse in the race to take over, either. What is the extent of Iranian ties to the Muslim Brotherhood? Do we know? They aren't the only faction involved in the power struggle over there, but they are the largest organized opposition group as of last year's (disputed) election.

They wouldn't be backing it if they didn't have a horse in the race to take over, either. What is the extent of Iranian ties to the Muslim Brotherhood? Do we know? They aren't the only faction involved in the power struggle over there, but they are the largest organized opposition group as of last year's (disputed) election.

Thats the thing I have no idea what Irans ties to the brotherhood are, if they even have any. I'm just sayin Iran needs to be careful what they wish for, because the situation that is happening right now in Egypt is Irans worst nightmare if this happened on the streets of Tehran.

Thats the thing I have no idea what Irans ties to the brotherhood are, if they even have any. I'm just sayin Iran needs to be careful what they wish for, because the situation that is happening right now in Egypt is Irans worst nightmare if this happened on the streets of Tehran.

Are they taking a chance? Sure. Are they more prepared to handle it than Egypt? Absolutely. The basij are still around, and the Iraqi border is porous enough to bring in whatever mercs they need. Egypt doesn't have the same options, nor for all that Mubarek is a bastard does he have the same level of ruthlessness - if only because of self-interest.

There's also no guarantee of Islamists taking over in Egypt if Mubarek doesn't ride it out. The doom and gloomers forget Elbaradei and his following, which is not as organized but pro-democracy and far more secular. Only time will tell what way that wind will blow.

So yes, Iran is taking a calculated risk. But not a huge one.

Are they taking a chance? Sure. Are they more prepared to handle it than Egypt? Absolutely. The basij are still around, and the Iraqi border is porous enough to bring in whatever mercs they need. Egypt doesn't have the same options, nor for all that Mubarek is a bastard does he have the same level of ruthlessness - if only because of self-interest.

There's also no guarantee of Islamists taking over in Egypt if Mubarek doesn't ride it out. The doom and gloomers forget Elbaradei and his following, which is not as organized but pro-democracy and far more secular. Only time will tell what way that wind will blow.

So yes, Iran is taking a calculated risk. But not a huge one.

The biggest difference I noticed is that Iran didn't wait too long to resort to violence to shut down the Green movement, Egypt so far has not gone down that route just yet.

Not very smart if true. That region is well known for darker forces always waiting in the wings to take over. Just look at what happened in Iran. The Shah was a pussycat compared to the deranged Mullahs who took over. I just read where the radical kooks are getting set to take control of Tunisia as well. So much for all that "Freedom & Democracy" hype. As usual,the International Press has things wrong. Egypt could very well fall to the radical Islamic Clerics. In fact i would put my money on that happening. Is Mubarak really all that bad? Maybe he's not when you compare him to what might be coming next in Egypt. People really shouldn't be too quick to buy into that "Freedom & Democracy" hype over Egypt. That's probably not gonna happen.

The protests are not Islamic in nature and neither the Ikhwan nor any other so-called "Islamist" or religious organization is the impetus behind the current unrest, though they and various al-Azhar 'ulema are among the protesters. For their part, the Ikhwan have cast their lot with El Baradei who is decidedly secular.

And with that I'm getting back to work.

The protests are not Islamic in nature and neither the Ikhwan nor any other so-called "Islamist" or religious organization is the impetus behind the current unrest, though they and various al-Azhar 'ulema are among the protesters. For their part, the Ikhwan have cast their lot with El Baradei who is decidedly secular.

So we should just ignore the Muslim Brotherhood? :confused:

Yeah right....

Tunisia will be falling to the radical Islamists very soon. So don't believe the International Press hype on that "Freedom & Democracy" stuff. The radicals will likely benefit most from the upheaval in these nations. That's my prediction anyway. I guess we'll see though.

Yeah right....

You should ignore him

Transcript of FAREED ZAKARIA GPS via CNN:

ZAKARIA: Mohamed, one of the visions that haunts Americans is of the Iranian revolution, where a dictator, pro-American dictator, was replaced by an even worse regime that was even more anti-American and more threatening to the region. People worry about the Muslim Brotherhood. Are you confident that a post-Mubarak Egypt will not give rise to some kind of Islamic fundamentalist force that will undermine the democracy of Egypt?

ELBARADEI: I’m quite confident of that, Fareed. This is a myth that was sold by the Mubarak regime, that it’s either us, the ruthless dictators, or above (ph) them the al Qaida types.

You know, the Muslim Brotherhood has nothing to do with the Iranian model, has nothing to do with extremism, as we have seen it in Afghanistan and other places. The Muslim Brotherhood is a religiously conservative group. They are a minority in Egypt. They are not a majority of the Egyptian people, but they have a lot of credibility because all the other liberal parties have been smothered for 30 years.

They are in favor of a federalist (ph) state. They are in favor of a wording on the base of constitution that has red lines (ph) that every Egyptian has the same rights, same obligation, that the state in no way will be a state based on religion. And I have been reaching out to them. We need to include them. They are part of the Egyptian society, as much as the Marxist party here. I think this myth that has been perpetuated and sold by the regime has no – has no iota of reality.
As you know, Fareed, I’ve worked with Iranians, I’ve worked here. There is 100 percent difference between the two societies.

ZAKARIA: If there were a democratic government with Muslim Brotherhood participation, do you believe that Egypt would still be at peace with Israel?

ELBARADEI: Of course. I mean, I – again, the whole issue of peace in the Middle East is an issue which everybody – nobody wants to go to war, Fareed.

Mubarak has lost the Army

Egypt Army: We Recognize Legitimacy of Protests - CBS News
Egypt Army: We Recognize Legitimacy of Protests
On Eve of Massive Cairo Protest, Military Says It Will Not Use Violence Against Demonstrators

CAIRO - Egypt's military says it recognizes "the legitimacy of the people's demands" and promised to guarantee "freedom of expression," ahead of a planned escalation of the country's week-old anti-government protests.

A military spokesman, Ismail Etman, appeared on state television to say the military "has not and will not use force" against protesters.

But he also warned against "any act that destabilizes security of the country" or damages property.

Etman said the military is "conscious of the legitimate demands by honorable citizens" - though he did not specify whether the military considers the demand for President Hosni Mubarak's removal to be legitimate.

The statement was the strongest sign to date that the military will allow week-old protests to continue and even grow, as long as they are peaceful.

I'd love to see all these freedom-loving Americans get the unique chance to reincarnate in 1980 Egypt, just so that they have a small glimpse at understanding life under an authoritarian regime, to see how they hold up in the dark underchambers of the Ministries, to understand what it's like to be tortured, beaten, and silenced forever for saying a peep about the Regime - so that they can be arbitrarily abused by impunity by an unelected, illegitimate mafia at the head of a brutal security apparatus.

And THEN we'll see what your opinion is on the subject.

How can you possibly begin to justify supporting a corrupt and sclerotic regime like that of Hosni Mubarak? Are you not familiar with the brutality of the Egyptian government against its people for decades, with its recurring fraud and faux-elections, a 30-year suspension in civil liberties that continues up to today, widespread human rights buses, summary extra-legal executions, and denial to the right of freedom of speech and assembly? Because that's quite an extreme opinion, from such freedom-loving Americans.

The American Contradiction: We believe in freedom here but we support dictators abroad. Why would we do that?

Yeah it's an old one (1991) but still it gives a good background on our involvement.

"Ancient History": U.S. Conduct in the Middle East Since World War II and the Folly of Intervention
by Sheldon L. Richman

"Ancient History": U.S. Conduct in the Middle East Since World War II and the Folly of Intervention | Sheldon L. Richman | Cato Institute: Policy Analysis

In the aftermath of the most overt and direct U.S. attempt to manage affairs in the Middle East, the Persian Gulf War, it is more important than ever to understand how the United States came to be involved in the region and the disastrous consequences of that involvement. President Bush's willingness to sacrifice American lives to remove Iraqi forces from Kuwait, to restore the "legitimate" government of that feudal monarchy, and to create a "new world order" proceeds logically from the premises and policies of past administrations. Indeed, there is little new in Bush's new world order, except the Soviet Union's assistance. That may mean the new order will be far more dangerous than the old, because it will feature an activist U.S. foreign policy without the inhibitions that were formerly imposed by the superpower rivalry. That bodes ill for the people of the Middle East, as well as for the long-suffering American citizens, who will see their taxes continue to rise, their consumer economy increasingly distorted by military spending, and their blood spilled--all in the name of U.S. leadership.

When tens of thousands hit the streets to decry an authoritarian regime -- calling for its overthrow, trying to overrun police, setting fires -- one might expect the arrival of army tanks would be met with fear, consternation and violence.

But not in Egypt.

The warm embrace that demonstrators gave troops this week illustrated the military's respected and central role in Egyptian society. This fact makes the armed forces potentially a kingmaker in the current crisis, while also showcasing its challenge to somehow re-establish security without undermining its popularity.

"How they behave on the streets is going to matter a whole lot," said Shibley Telhami, a Middle East expert and senior fellow at the Brookings Institution think tank. "That's going to be the dilemma: Can they maintain the order without antagonizing the public that they need?"

The ascendance began in 1952, when the military helped overthrow Egypt's ruling monarch. Its support for a constitutional democracy and its performance in various wars and battles earned it the admiration of many Egyptians.

All males between ages 18 and 30 must serve one to three years, as the CIA World Factbook notes, meaning almost every family in Egypt has some personal connection to the military.

Experts: Egypt's fate rests in hands of popular, powerful military - CNN.com

Yeah right....

No, nor do I think anyone here has advocating ignoring them. But, maybe you can prove me wrong on that?

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2011/01/30/robertson.alexandria.demo.cnn
Woman #1 sets the stage for Woman #2:

“All the people hate him. He’s supporting Israel! Israel is our enemy. We don’t like him…Israel and America supported him. We hate them all!”
Woman #1 then explains that they will accomplish the removal of Mubarak by “revolution.”

Then the guy that follows them takes it up a notch by explaining that when the people in Egypt are finally free they will be able to “destroy Israel.”

Last edited:

Yeah right....

No, nor do I think anyone here has advocating ignoring them. But, maybe you can prove me wrong on that?

No, we shouldn't ignore them. We shouldn't think them being behind the protests or emerging victorious from whatever comes out of them is a foregone conclusion either, although they are participating. The picture is more subtle and complicated than "Us v. Them", and there are at least three factions - with Elbaradei's right now anyway seeming to have the upper hand.

No, we shouldn't ignore them. We shouldn't think them being behind the protests or emerging victorious from whatever comes out of them is a foregone conclusion either, although they are participating. The picture is more subtle and complicated than "Us v. Them", and there are at least three factions - with Elbaradei's right now anyway seeming to have the upper hand.

The muslim brother hood are the good guys

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoDAPZmXOmQ&[/ame]

“I’m asking about the Muslim Brotherhood, the organization that has tirelessly, and in many cases quite courageously, campaigned in elections, it has campaigned against the government, it has campaigned on behalf of the poor in Egypt. It has a long, long history in that country. What role should it have now?”

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Transcript of FAREED ZAKARIA GPS via CNN:

ZAKARIA: Mohamed, one of the visions that haunts Americans is of the Iranian revolution, where a dictator, pro-American dictator, was replaced by an even worse regime that was even more anti-American and more threatening to the region. People worry about the Muslim Brotherhood. Are you confident that a post-Mubarak Egypt will not give rise to some kind of Islamic fundamentalist force that will undermine the democracy of Egypt?

ELBARADEI: I’m quite confident of that, Fareed. This is a myth that was sold by the Mubarak regime, that it’s either us, the ruthless dictators, or above (ph) them the al Qaida types.
You know, the Muslim Brotherhood has nothing to do with the Iranian model, has nothing to do with extremism, as we have seen it in Afghanistan and other places. The Muslim Brotherhood is a religiously conservative group. They are a minority in Egypt. They are not a majority of the Egyptian people, but they have a lot of credibility because all the other liberal parties have been smothered for 30 years.
They are in favor of a federalist (ph) state. They are in favor of a wording on the base of constitution that has red lines (ph) that every Egyptian has the same rights, same obligation, that the state in no way will be a state based on religion. And I have been reaching out to them. We need to include them. They are part of the Egyptian society, as much as the Marxist party here. I think this myth that has been perpetuated and sold by the regime has no – has no iota of reality.
As you know, Fareed, I’ve worked with Iranians, I’ve worked here. There is 100 percent difference between the two societies.
ZAKARIA: If there were a democratic government with Muslim Brotherhood participation, do you believe that Egypt would still be at peace with Israel?
ELBARADEI: Of course. I mean, I – again, the whole issue of peace in the Middle East is an issue which everybody – nobody wants to go to war, Fareed.

We'll see who replaces Mubarak. My guess is that they'll be worse. They will likely be virulently Anti-American and Anti-Israel. People who are celebrating and cheerleading for this uprising could be making a very big mistake. In Tunisia the radicals are now beginning to seize control of that country. The International Press told us that was all about "Freedom & Democracy" too. The radical Muslim kooks could very well be the ones who benefit most from these uprisings. I guess we'll see though.

Forum List

Back