US History: Your Views

Discussion in 'Education' started by lms1220, Sep 12, 2009.

1. lms1220

lms1220 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need three or more people to answer these five questions. Optimally, at least one person is between the age of 25 and 35, 35 and 55, and 55+. Please indicate your age group in the reply.

1. In your opinion, what are the five most important events in American History and why do you think so? (Important as having the greatest effect on America in the long run)

2. Which five presidents have been our greatest and why do you think so?

3. In your own lifetime what have been the five most memorable events( excluding births and other personal happenings)?

4. What do you consider to be the five most important issues that America will face in the next 20 years?

5. Would you consider yourself a liberal or a conservative and why?

Please try to use as much detail as possible in explaining the 'why' part of the questions.

Thank you!

2. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    No thanks.

3. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    damn man, ive had easier tests for college finals.

4. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    You should have just gone to class.

5. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    The answers are irrelevant.
    The Empire is finished.
    Greed killed it.

6. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    1. boston tea party, lincoln's assasination, pearl harbor, 9/11, and Lewis and Clarks expedition
    2.thomas jefferson, licoln, roosevelt, clinton, and nixon could have been
    3.getting arrested twice, the birth of my child, 9/11, columbine, and I can't think of any other maybe the war in irag
    4. I can tell the future
    5.liberal

7. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    25-35

The signing of the Declaration of Independence: Birth of the Nation and an acceptance by the founding members of our nation on certain inalienable rights.

The ratification of the Constitution: Represented a rejection of the view of the US as an alliance of states, formed a legitimate central government and leads into the Bill of Rights enumerating with the force of law rights every American has.

The Civil War: Settles once and for all the issue of supremecy between State governments and the Federal government and results in the abolition of slavery.

The Great Depression: Origin of most of the social programs that remain in the USA today and leads into World War II and America's true entry into the world stage.

The Civil Rights Movement: finishes the work of the Civil War, the Declaration of Independence, and the Ratification of the Constitution in ensuring that every man, woman, and child born in the United States has inalienable rights given by the creator.

Washington: The first President, and the origin of many of the unwritten rules of the Presidency.
    Abraham Lincoln: It seems even silly to say why.
    FDR: Kept America on track during the Depression and WWII, and helped prevent the rise of facism at home.
    Lyndon Johnson: Despite his Vietnam legacy, LBJ helped empower the civil rights movement.
    George H.W. Bush: Oversaw the final collapses of the Eastern Block, helped prevent a complete collapse of much the world into chaos, and was wise enough to build a multinational coalition to answer the threat of Saddam Hussein... and intelligent enough that he did not lose the resulting peace.

The Challenger disaster.
    9/11.
    The First Gulf War
    The fall of the Berlin Wall
    The Oklahoma City Bombing.

The collapse of credit lines.
    The economic rise of China
    Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
    Potential environmental tragedies
    A nuclear terrorist attack.

Liberal on some issue, Conservative on others.

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,903
    55+

9. glade

glade Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OH MY...YOU SOUND LIKE MY HISTORY TEACHER... im scared...AND IF I ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS anyways YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME that I AM WRONG because MY HISTORY TEACHER 1302 SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS ALL THE ANSWERS and us HIS STUDENTS WE ARE JUST A GROUP OF STUPID PEOPLE.... i dont like my class.... :confused:

10. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    I'm not in any of your age groups, but I'll answer regardless.

The American Revolution because it gave us our independence and a republican form of government. The Civil War because it marked the end of states' rights and the beginning of centralized power in the federal government. The Great Depression and New Deal because they gave rise to the nonsensical notion that the government is able to spend our money better than we can and this somehow magically ends recessions. Pearl Harbor because it led to our direct entrance into World War 2. 9/11 because the federal government used this event as a catalyst to centralize even more power than ever before and to start a War on Terror.

George Washington - Retired after two terms and kept us neutral in the French and British conflict.

Thomas Jefferson - Ended the Bank of the United States, paid down the national debt, and mostly kept the federal government limited.

William Henry Harrison - Had no time to do any damage to the country.

Grover Cleveland - Adhered to the gold standard and mostly kept to a limited government.

It should be noted that though these may be the best of the Presidents, they don't necessarily get the title of "good President." I'd probably still rate them all as "Poor" despite being, in my opinion, the best of the bunch.

9/11 and the War on Terror. I'm not old enough to remember the other significant events in my lifetime such as the inevitable collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Our unmanageable debt, our foreign policy, economic stagnation, a decrease in our standard of living, and a federal government intent on encroaching on more and more of our freedoms to "deal" with each crisis that comes its way.

Neither, I'm a libertarian.