US Constitution

I would agree if you are arguing the constitutionality of the war, a it must be contemporary law or interpretation of existing ones of the war and not one ex post facto.

You made a declaration:
You can't declare youself not part of the union following the constitution

I asked:
Which pre-1860 law prohibits secession?
Which part - article, section, clause - of the Constitution prohibits secession?

These questions directly address your assertion.
Can you answer them?
If not, then given the 10th amendment, how does your assertion hold water?

That sum up my arguments.
OK, so:
-There was no law prohibiting secession
-There is no part of the Constititon that specifically prohibits secession.

Your arguments here are your inferences -- penumbras and emonations, as it were -- drawn from other articles/sections. They do not draw from any direct statement, only your interpretations of other unrelated articles/clauses.

Given that there is no direct prohibition to secession, the argument that, through the 10th amendment, the states retain their right to secession stands. Implication/inference does not carry more weight than direct statement.

Ok, so...
-There is no pre-1860 law prohibits secession.
-There is no part - article, section, clause - of the Constitution that prohibits secession.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Given the above, how would you characterize the -soundess- of the argument that secession violates the Constitution?

Secession clearly violates the Constitution. Art. III gives the USSC the right to decide that issue and they did. It doesn't matter why they did. The reasoning might be a crock of shit. Regardless, they are the only entity to make that decision (short of changing the Constitution), and they decided.

Are you asking me to give you my own separate opinion of what the Court should have decided?

OK, so:
-There was no law prohibiting secession
-There is no part of the Constititon that specifically prohibits secession.

Your arguments here are your inferences -- penumbras and emonations, as it were -- drawn from other articles/sections. They do not draw from any direct statement, only your interpretations of other unrelated articles/clauses.

Given that there is no direct prohibition to secession, the argument that, through the 10th amendment, the states retain their right to secession stands. Implication/inference does not carry more weight than direct statement.

The only bit that's a loose interpretation is that part in the 10th amendment about contracts. But it's strengthened and affirmed by the supremacy of constitutional law over that of the states (asserting authority) and the commandment of an oath of loyalty to the constitution.

However, if I am so truly misguided please enlighten me. Show me where it also directly says that a state has a right to remove it'self from the union. The 10th amendment part is no more or less of an "emonation" than what I have stated.

The only bit that's a loose interpretation is that part in the 10th amendment about contracts. But it's strengthened and affirmed by the supremacy of constitutional law over that of the states (asserting authority) and the commandment of an oath of loyalty to the constitution.

However, if I am so truly misguided please enlighten me. Show me where it also directly says that a state has a right to remove it'self from the union. The 10th amendment part is no more or less of an "emonation" than what I have stated.

The part where it directly states that if it's not prohibited, then the state can reserve the right. It's the same reason why the states can choose to use the death penalty, or not use it for that matter. It does not directly say that the state cannot put someone to death, therefore, the state has the right to exercise that law. The tenth amendment was put in place for that specific reason...the FF knew that they could not possibly address all of the issues that would arise in the course and history of the U.S., so they drafted this Amendment in order to keep the Fed. government from retaining too much power. The 10th Amend. is to give states the right to exercise powers that were not prohibited and that were not reserved for the Federal Government.

The only bit that's a loose interpretation is that part in the 10th amendment about contracts.
Your contract argument fails in that the Constition has a clause that allows for the retention of -all- rights not otherwise prohibited by or specified in the contract. Given that there is no part of the Constititon that defines the tems of the right to secession, the right to withdraw from that contract, absent any language to the contrary, is retained in it absolute form by the states.

But it's strengthened and affirmed by the supremacy of constitutional law over that of the states (asserting authority) and the commandment of an oath of loyalty to the constitution.
Any supremacy of the Constitution only applies to parties of same, whoch casts no light on the issue as if parties can or cannot withthdraw. The "oath" was taken voluntarily, and absent and clause regarding permanancy or perpituity, it can be revoked a a right retained under the 10th amendment.

Show me where it also directly says that a state has a right to remove it'self from the union.
This isnt a necessary condition, given that ALL rights not specifically given up are retained. A right does not need to be specificlaly mentioned for it to exist, but for a right to be given up, the constituion must specifically say so.

You have already noted that no part of the Constition specifically prohibits secession.

In this case, the right of the states to withdraw, not specifically mentioned/prohibited in or by the constititon, is, by the 10th amendment, to be retained by those states.

I really couldn't care less.

I only injected myself into this argument to correct the statements that the secession was legal. Whether you, or anyone else, thinks the USSC was right or not is irrelevant. Whether you think it was legitimate is irrelevant. Its decision carries the force of law.

The force of law, backed up by the force of arms. Isn't that the definition of tyranny?

The force of law, backed up by the force of arms. Isn't that the definition of tyranny?

You know, they forget about the North's defiance of federal law themselves by openly not enforcing the Fugitive Slave Acts that were established, among other things. This is what happens in histories covering these types of events, the winners right it. IT does not happen in all cases, but does in this one.

Thats nice.

Doesn't change the legality of it one whit. Unless you doubt the legitimacy of the constitution and Marbury v. Madison which gives the USSC that power?

Amusing that you all turn to the Constitution to defend the South but ignore that little part that gives the USSC the right to interpret laws and cry illegitimacy when it doesn't go your way.

So, when the USSC rules in favor of the Bush Administration for cases involving the Iraq War, it has the force of law as well then too.

Then we have this gem.

Clearly if the Congress is needed to admit a State and that State is formed from property given it BY the Federal Government, it is reasonable to infer the reverse is true, A State can not leave with out permission.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articleiv.html#section3

Amendment 10 specifically states "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

NOWHERE in the US Constititution is the word secession used. Therefore it is not delegated to the United States nor prohibited to the states. That means the states and the people have the power to decide that issue.

The USSC has an army?

Besides that, no, thats not the definition of tyranny. Unless you are an anarchist.

If I'm being forced to do something I believe is wrong against my will by the Union Army, I'd say the South has a good case for the tyranny argument. In fact, sounds similar to an argument used 70 years before the Civil War in the Declaration of Independence.

You know, they forget about the North's defiance of federal law themselves by openly not enforcing the Fugitive Slave Acts that were established, among other things. This is what happens in histories covering these types of events, the winners right it. IT does not happen in all cases, but does in this one.

Of course they do, selective memory is a liberal requirement.

And you would be wrong. The Supreme Court ordered the Northern States to comply. And the Federal Government enforced it. Sorry if you can not force every sheriff in every town to just send escaped slaves back into slavery. That you think they should have been forced to is funny as hell. But wait, didn't you insist the war had nothing to do with slavery anyway?

And I did not catch your retraction on your lie about Brown and the Harper's Ferry Arsenal either. Could you point it out to me?

If its so clear then you should have no trouble asnwering this question:
Which article, section and clause specifies that prohibition?

That should be obvious - yes.

According to the USSC, it is the preamble to the US Constitution, and its historical relationship to the Articles of Confederation.

Please provide the specific clause from the Constitution that specifically prohibits secession.

Who said it has to be a clause? The USSC isn't forbidden to consider FF's intent, precedent structures of power, or basically, whatever they want.

In this case, according to the USSC, it is the preamble that provides the significant support (although Rogue has some nice snippets in the other thread). That might not be a clause of the Constitution, but it remains part of the Constitution. More to the point, when discussing legality, I think the most significant clause is Article III.

Who said it has to be a clause?
Look, if you cannot state where the Constititoin specifically denies the states the right to secession, then the 10th amendment reserves that right to the states.

The fact that you continue to dance around the subject, doing everything but provide that specific prohibition indicates that you understand this, and that you know there is no such provision.

This means you also know the SCotUS decision is crap.

Forum List

Back