UPS strike - should government get involved?

Package delivery in the past 20 years has changed dramatically.
Before that, package delivery was only marginally important to day to day living/business.
Today - package delivery is vital.
Our business used to be almost 100% local/regional before the 2000s.
Today we sell items that go all over America because of the internet. E-Storefront buying is a large part of all kinds of businesses. About 1/3 of everything we sell is online now.
This is waaay bigger than just UPS workers. The rest of America should not suffer if the strike last more than a week.

then put pressure on management to settle.....

they dont need to be low paid for our pleasure or convenience

then put pressure on management to settle.....

they dont need to be low paid for our pleasure or convenience
Do you know how much UPS/FedEx has gone up the past couple years?
Shipping a box that cost $15 then cost over $20 now. Raising wages to any real degree will make that even higher.
And, like already pointed out, UPS warehouse workers are paid above national average with better bene's than most people.
They are doing it because they can, not out of need. The average UPS driver makes 7% above national average. Warehouse workers, 3%-5% above national average with bene's well above national average.

Do you know how much UPS/FedEx has gone up the past couple years?
Shipping a box that cost $15 then cost over $20 now. Raising wages to any real degree will make that even higher.
And, like already pointed out, UPS warehouse workers are paid above national average with better bene's than most people.
They are doing it because they can, not out of need. The average UPS driver makes 7% above national average. Warehouse workers, 3%-5% above national average with bene's well above national average.

everything has gone up the last couple of years....they deserve to have their issues addressed and resolved....fuck the nation average with the min. wage not being raised in what 15 years...

The coming UPS strike crises is about to lower it's boom.
Should the fed government involve itself and force workers to work thru the strike?
What I can tell you, is this is going to a MAJOR-MAJOR-MAJOR effect on your life personally, even if you never buy anything online.
UPS is an intrinsic part of the supply chain for the United States. It is a major part of our business.
If it last very long at all, it will cause price hikes for every American. It will cause numerous delays in products of all kinds.
Is it right that every American suffer to facilitate higher wages/benes for a hand full of people?

No.

Ups has gone on strike before...and they'll go on strike again.

I won't work for UPS during the strike...I won't cross picket lines...but we also contract with FedEx during Peak Season (Nov-Jan) and they have already reached out to contract the five trucks currently not operating under contract and want me to find drivers for the two trucks that are currently out of rotation to cover the influx of new flow they are expecting if UPS does go on strike.

Packages will be delivered...and after the strike, maybe Fedex will keep a percentage of the new strike overflow business...but I suspect the strike will be short and things will get back to normal quickly.

Keep in mind...union bosses may still support democrats ... but union members overwhelmingly support Donald Trump.

Forum List

Back