UPS strike - should government get involved?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
The coming UPS strike crises is about to lower it's boom.
Should the fed government involve itself and force workers to work thru the strike?
What I can tell you, is this is going to a MAJOR-MAJOR-MAJOR effect on your life personally, even if you never buy anything online.
UPS is an intrinsic part of the supply chain for the United States. It is a major part of our business.
If it last very long at all, it will cause price hikes for every American. It will cause numerous delays in products of all kinds.
Is it right that every American suffer to facilitate higher wages/benes for a hand full of people?

The coming UPS strike crises is about to lower it's boom.
Should the fed government involve itself and force workers to work thru the strike?
What I can tell you, is this is going to a MAJOR-MAJOR-MAJOR effect on your life personally, even if you never buy anything online.
UPS is an intrinsic part of the supply chain for the United States. It is a major part of our business.
If it last very long at all, it will cause price hikes for every American. It will cause numerous delays in products of all kinds.
Is it right that every American suffer to facilitate higher wages/benes for a hand full of people?

With Amazon doing more and more of their own shipping, the impact this time around is going to be far less than if the Strike happened 5-10 years ago.

No, they shouldnt. Its none of the govts business.
This is between worker and employer.
On the surface I agree. I really do.
But we will see how people feel at the end of August when they can't get all sorts of products without delays, and they cost a lot more.
Example - many medicines are delivered to pharmacies using UPS.

And BTW - you shouldn't be ordering anything online after tomorrow.
FedEx and Amazon delivery are going to be dramatically overwhelmed.
There will be delays in everything, and plenty of lost packages.
Wait and see.

On the surface I agree. I really do.
But we will see how people feel at the end of August when they can't get all sorts of products without delays, and they cost a lot more.
Example - many medicines are delivered to pharmacies using UPS.
I doubt it will go that far.
UPS is known for taking care of their employees.

i think a major labor strike is needed...across the board..and now the ups pilots will go out with them....hard to scab their jobs out....and just look into what ups is doing in hiring new hire..leading them down a path that they can never be union

i want teamster to support them ...i would love to see a total labor strike in the us...

solidarity!

Drivers do but not warehouse workers..the two tier pay system is one of the issues
My buddy works in the warehouse and has been there for about 2 years and is still only part time. He makes like 22 or 23 dollars an hour., and still gets free insurance.

The issue is what is plaguing good, blue collar jobs all across America, a two-tier pay structure that pays new hires half of what veteran workers make. Those new hires can eventually graduate to close to top scale but it can take 8-10 years and some employee contracts don't allow the "competitive rates" (industry buzzword) to ever reach full scale.

John Deere workers staged a strike and they got exactly what they wanted from it. Perhaps that is the blueprint for UPS, but it will cause pain across the country if they strike, not only for us, but also because so many corporations rely on UPS next day air to get packages to their customers, dealers. and suppliers. When machines are down in the field, time is money.

So you don't support the UPS workers going on strike....right?
Package delivery in the past 20 years has changed dramatically.
Before that, package delivery was only marginally important to day to day living/business.
Today - package delivery is vital.
Our business used to be almost 100% local/regional before the 2000s.
Today we sell items that go all over America because of the internet. E-Storefront buying is a large part of all kinds of businesses. About 1/3 of everything we sell is online now.
This is waaay bigger than just UPS workers. The rest of America should not suffer if the strike last more than a week.

The Teamsters union that represents UPS drivers. For some perspective Jimmy Hoffa was president of the Teamsters for about 15 years.

Forum List

Back