Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
No comment, I'm sick.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/11933550.htm

Posted on Sun, Jun. 19, 2005

Documents reveal how friend helped build molest case

By Dan Reed and Thaai Walker

Mercury News

Frederick Everts was sobbing as he was ratting out his pedophile buddy, Dean Schwartzmiller, to police last month. He said he'd tried to protect two 12-year-old cousins from Schwartzmiller, his accused accomplice in the sexual abuse of the San Jose boys. The molestations were not his fault, Everts told police.

Yes, Everts admitted, he'd tried to molest a 3-year-old boy while they shared a bath at the San Jose home he lived in with Schwartzmiller, a police report said.

That got investigators' attention. But they were really interested in hearing more about Schwartzmiller, 63, who may turn out to be one of the most prolific child molesters in history.

In court documents, police reveal how they recited Miranda rights to Everts -- who was picked up for jumping parole in Oregon -- and used him to build their case against the man who allegedly logged more than 36,000 entries in seven spiral-bound journals about his abusive exploits.

Schwartzmiller's arrest last month has triggered numerous calls to San Jose police from across the country, as investigators try to trace the serial sex offender's path since he was sent to prison in Oregon in 1993 for sodomizing a 15-year-old boy.

The latest charges stem from his relationship over the last two years with a pair of boys he lured into a friendship with sleepovers, video games, foosball and other toys at his Vineyard Drive home, police say.

In one instance, court records show, one of the San Jose boys woke up to find his shorts drawn down. He asked Schwartzmiller, records show, why that'd happened. Schwartzmiller told the boy his cat had crawled into the child's sleeping bag and pulled down his underwear, the boy told police. And Schwartzmiller added that he only reached into the boy's bag to pull out the cat. The boy didn't believe him.

What is still not known is why police reports name two more boy victims -- including the 3-year-old whom Everts admitted to attempting to molest -- while prosecutors have not charged Schwartzmiller or Everts for those alleged attacks. Steve Fein, the Santa Clara County attorney prosecuting the case, had no comment Saturday.

Meanwhile, members of Schwartzmiller's family said they haven't had any contact with him for years.

His cousin Jack Schwartzmiller, who last saw the accused man in the 1950s when both were just boys, said the crimes he has been accused of are something no one in the family ever talks about.

There was nothing about Dean Schwartzmiller's upbringing that was unusual, his cousin said. Jack Schwartzmiller learned of his cousin's latest run-in with the law while listening to radio news.

``I said, `Well, he got himself into more trouble.' I figured he probably went straight after that Idaho deal. I didn't know about those other states or anything. I don't know why they keep letting him out of jail. I mean, New York, Brazil, Idaho, Oregon, Washington -- come on, law enforcement, duh.''

Everts is scheduled to enter a plea Monday; Schwartzmiller on Wednesday.

Forum List

Back