Unprecedented SSTs strike Florida's coral reefs

Read this and correct yourself.

From a biased source.

This is the actual truth.
In 2022, the Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) reported the highest levels of coral cover across two-thirds of the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) in over 36 years. After recent massive bleaching events impacted nearly 90% of Australia's corals, it seems that anyone could see this news as a victory.Feb 15, 2023

From a biased source.

This is the actual truth.
In 2022, the Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) reported the highest levels of coral cover across two-thirds of the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) in over 36 years. After recent massive bleaching events impacted nearly 90% of Australia's corals, it seems that anyone could see this news as a victory.Feb 15, 2023
You think Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is a biased source? Yet you provide no source to your presumably quoted comment.

Probably not considering how much they now charge these days.
If the dems hadnt gotten into the school loan business it'd be much cheaper.
But I'll take the word of Australian Institute of Marine Science.
Where's your link? Why do AGW deniers seem to have such a problem with links?

Probably not considering how much they now charge these days.
If the dems hadnt gotten into the school loan business it'd be much cheaper.
But I'll take the word of Australian Institute of Marine Science.
Australian Institute of Marine Science website is at: AIMS.gov.au

Okay. From https://www.aims.gov.au/research-topics/environmental-issues/climate-change

Climate change is the greatest threat to the long-term future of coral reefs. Warming ocean temperatures and ocean acidification increase the vulnerability of coral reefs to coral bleaching, diseases, and tropical cyclones.
Our interdisciplinary research provides the best available understanding of the vulnerability of coral reef ecosystems to climate change, and their capacity to adapt. We also develop innovative large-scale solutions to help coral reefs survive a warmer future.
AND, from https://www.aims.gov.au/research-to...hange/supporting-reef-recovery-and-resilience

Climate change and coral reefs

Climate change is the greatest threat to the world’s coral reefs. Marine heatwaves which cause coral bleaching are more frequent, extensive, intense and last longer. This means coral reefs have less time to recover between disturbances. Additional pressures, such as changes to the quality and acidity of seawater also impair reef recovery.
Environmental change is predicted to continue. Reefs are resilient, but coral reef animals and plants must become more able to cope with stressful conditions to survive into the future. It is not yet clear if their rate of adaptation is fast enough to keep up with changing conditions.
To limit human-induced global warming, the world needs to lower emissions. However, sea temperatures are projected to increase to 1.5 to 2 degrees by the end of the century under all emission scenarios – and reducing emissions on its own is no longer enough to guarantee the future of reefs. Marine science is therefore working now to develop the tools to help reefs for the future adapt to, and recover from the effects of climate change.
The challenge is enormous.
As leaders in reef recovery, adaptation and restoration research, we and our collaborators investigate the capacity for reefs to adapt naturally to change, and many ways we can help the Reef.
An important aspect to our research is how these efforts can be used at large scales.

Science to help coral reefs survive climate change

AIMS is focused on helping coral reefs survive climate change.
Our scientists are:
  • continuing our research to understand the natural capacity of corals and reefs to adapt to warming oceans,
  • investigating ways we can enhance corals’ ability to resist bleaching, and
  • developing methods to scale up and fast track coral recovery.
We are involved in major projects supporting this research. Learn more about Australian Government-funded Reef Restoration and Adaptation Program, and the Australian Coral Reef Resilience Initiative, our partnership with BHP.
AND, following a link on the AIMS website, we get to a page of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority website at https://www2.gbrmpa.gov.au/learn/reef-health
As Australia’s lead management agency for the Reef, we closely monitor Reef conditions throughout the year. From May to November each year, we issue regular Reef health reports. Over the summer, we issue weekly public reports on the conditions of the Reef.
These updates are based on forecasts, water temperature heat mapping, in-water surveys, citizen science and aerial surveys. The current updates are available below, and past Reef health updates are also available.
Reef Health 22-23 banner

Reef Health update – April 2023

The Reef experienced unseasonably warm conditions from early to mid-April; however, sea surface temperatures slowly cooled over the second half of the month.
The forecast for May is for dry and mild conditions for most of the Reef.
Along with our partners, the Australian Institute of Marine Science and the CSIRO, we will provide a wrap-up of the impact of the summer on Reef health with the release of the Summer Snapshot in the coming weeks.

Temperature and rainfall

The hotter-than-usual start to the month exposed much of the northern and central regions of the Reef to heat stress.
At the end of April, sea surface temperatures were, on average, 27°C across the Reef, which is 0.7°C above the long-term average for this time of year. The northern region experienced the highest anomalies at almost ~1°C above average.
Rain may continue across the Reef in the coming weeks due to a pulse in the Madden–Julian Oscillation, but this is not expected to greatly influence overall rainfall during the tropical dry season.

Reef health

Of the 1273 surveys submitted between 26 March and 26 April, 955 were Reef Health Impact Surveys (RHIS).
These surveys indicated that across the Marine Park, minor coral bleaching, disease, and damage continue to be reported. At the same time, anecdotal evidence of scattered bleaching was also received from the central region after the increase in temperatures earlier in the month.
Crown-of-thorns starfish outbreaks remain the most severe on reefs in the central and southern regions.
Reef management
While we have moved to our monthly updates, the Reef Authority continues to maintain a close watch for any changes in Reef conditions.
We are also continuing to work with our partners to protect and strengthen the resilience of the Reef through a range of management actions, including controlling the predatory, coral-eating crown-of-thorns starfish and our year-round compliance campaign to deter illegal fishing.
If you are out in the Marine Park, we ask that you please continue to report what you see through the Eye on the Reef app, and make sure you know your zones and do your bit to help protect this World Heritage-listed natural wonder.
Does this mean I get to share that trophy cup Todd?

Last edited:
So you're trying to tell me that 36 years of progress just suddenly went south?
I think I'll listen to the actual Australians that study the Great Barrier Reefs on a daily basis.
Did you not see post #31 of mine wherein I quoted extensively from the Australian Institute of Marine Science and the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority talking about the effects of global warming on the reef including a reef health update from April of this year?

You and Biden need to pop up your parasols to block the sun. The sky is falling, the sky is falling. The earth has experienced warming and cooling cycles numerous times in its history and will continue to do so regardless of what you or Biden do about it, so don't get your panties in a wad.

I'm not going to read anything that claims it's glowbull warming.
Everyone knows the earth goes through hot and cold cycles.

Did you not see post #31 of mine wherein I quoted extensively from the Australian Institute of Marine Science and the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority talking about the effects of global warming on the reef including a reef health update from April of this year?
Glad you're able to laugh at yourself like that. That's a good thing to do now and then.

So you're trying to tell me the earth doesnt go through heating and cooling stages?
You sir are an idiot.
When did I ever say anything like that? The topic of this thread (mine, btw) is high SSTs harming Florida coral reefs. That seems to have shifted to the Great Barrier Reef where you tried to claim that WHOI was unreliable and that the Aussies had found their reefs doing just fine with all that hot water. I showed that to be completely incorrect using YOUR reference sources. That doesn't actually seem like the work of an idiot to me. And, as I just told someone else earlier today, misquoting someone is a no-no on this website.

Forum List

Back