Thunderstorms - do you like them - or do you fear them?

Thunderstorms - do you like them - or do you fear them?

• I like them

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • I fear them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am neutral to them

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Zebra

Gold Member
May 29, 2023
Some info:

A thunderstorm, also known as an electrical storm or a lightning storm, is a storm characterized by the presence of lightning[1] and its acoustic effect on the Earth's atmosphere, known as thunder.[2] Relatively weak thunderstorms are sometimes called thundershowers.[3] Thunderstorms occur in a type of cloud known as a cumulonimbus.[4] They are usually accompanied by strong winds[1] and often produce heavy rain[1] and sometimes snow, sleet, or hail,[1] but some thunderstorms produce little precipitation or no precipitation at all. Thunderstorms may line up in a series or become a rainband, known as a squall line. Strong or severe thunderstorms include some of the most dangerous weather phenomena, including large hail, strong winds, and tornadoes. Some of the most persistent severe thunderstorms, known as supercells, rotate as do cyclones. While most thunderstorms move with the mean wind flow through the layer of the troposphere that they occupy, vertical wind shear sometimes causes a deviation in their course at a right angle to the wind shear direction.

Thunderstorms - do you like them - or do you fear them?​

I love the electrical displays, I love all things electric. I used to stand out in electrical storms and take pictures of the lightning.

P4190835.JPG

Living near the panhandle of Florida, you learn to respect the danger of lightning. I walk a lot and I used to walk county roads in rural areas but in summer getting caught in a lightning storm is a little too exhilarating.

Being a rural Florida cracker who experienced all types of thunderstorms maybe a better answer from me would be ''awed''. Nature is amazing. :thup: :)

I enjoy thunder and lightning ("sturm und drang"). I grew up in Kansas and then moved to Florida and so have seen more than my share. I like a good downpour as well. In Florida in 1985, an unnamed storm, by my rain gauge, dropped 30 inches of rain on us in 24 hours. The canal behind the property overflowed and I had 2.5 - 3 feet of water flowing across my lawn.

when my dogs used to hide under the table during thunderstorms I thought it was the cutest thing

What are those?
They are snug jackets that you can put on a dog or a cat (they come in different sizes) that are very effective at relieving stress. It's a trade name. You can look them up. They carry them at most pet supply stores (PetSmart, PetCo, etc)

Forum List

Back