Universities: Either Mozart or Marx

David Horowitz tried for years to draw attention to the danger of the Marxist controlled educational system, to no avail. The Republican Party is a co-conspirator in the downfall

Sure is.

Yup....we're simply basking in the afterglow of a once great nation with an outstanding higher education system.....

Something to tell our grandkids about.....

David Horowitz tried for years to draw attention to the danger of the Marxist controlled educational system, to no avail. The Republican Party is a co-conspirator in the downfall

Sure is.

Yup....we're simply basking in the afterglow of a once great nation with an outstanding higher education system.....

Something to tell our grandkids about.....

Don't give up the ship yet. Hundreds of thousands of students still flock to our shores every year to be educated in America.

Many of us have chuckled reading the post of a local dunce who carries on about Republicans being anti-education.
And he usually gets away with that because it is assumed that we all agree on what 'education' means.

Well...some realize that "education" has long ago left the building....since the Progressive/Liberal/Left took over the universities.

1. Brown University, once a proud member of the Ivy League, is the laughing stock of same because it gave up any real curriculum.
As a student activist at Brown University in the late 1960s, he [Ira Magaziner] helped codify the no-requirements approach of the so-called New Curriculum (few grades, lots of self-discovery) and changed the face of modern academics. As Bill Clinton's point man on health care in 1994, he led perhaps the most contentious public-policy project of the last 20 years.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HWW/is_9_4/ai_71561446/

2. Once the Leftists had a free hand, they imposed their trinity as more important than actual learning.
The Left-wing trinity= race, gender, class.

3. " Compare the humanists' hunger for learning with the resentment of a Columbia University undergraduate, who had been required by the school's core curriculum to study Mozart. She happens to be black, but her views are widely shared, to borrow a phrase, "across gender, sexuality, race and class."

4. "Why did I have to listen in music humanities to this Mozart?" she groused in a discussion of the curriculum reported by David Denby in "Great Books," his 1997 account of re-enrolling in Columbia's core curriculum. "My problem with the core is that it upholds the premises of white supremacy and racism. It's a racist core. Who is this Mozart, this Haydn, these superior white men? There are no women, no people of color."
These are not the idiosyncratic thoughts of one disgruntled student; they represent the dominant ideology in the humanities today.

5. In 2011, the University of California at Los Angeles wrecked its English major. Such a development may seem insignificant, compared with, say, the federal takeover of health care. It is not. What happened at UCLA is part of a momentous shift that bears on our relationship to the pastand to civilization itself.

6. Until 2011, students majoring in English at UCLA had to take one course in Chaucer, two in Shakespeare, and one in Milton the cornerstones of English literature. Following a revolt of the junior faculty, however, during which it was announced that Shakespeare was part of the "Empire," UCLA junked these individual author requirements.

7. It replaced them with a mandate that all English majors take a total of three courses in the following four areas: Gender, Race, Ethnicity, Disability and Sexuality Studies; Imperial, Transnational, and Postcolonial Studies; genre studies, interdisciplinary studies, and critical theory; or creative writing." Heather Mac Donald: The Humanities Have Forgotten Their Humanity - WSJ.com

8. This from a letter which a professor of English at Syracuse University recently wrote to the Chronicle of Higher Education describing the only real issue in literary study as helping students to perceive "which side of the world-historical class struggle they take: the side of the owners of the means of production, or the side of the workers. This and only this is the real question in textual literacy." The Hermeneutics of Innocence: Literary Criticism from a Christian Perspective

9. The most important understanding is that the hard Left, the Marxist Left, controls secular society. A close look at contemporary mania for political correctness reveals its derivation from Marxist revolt against oppression- but only certain groups are certified as the oppressed.
And the basis for certification is race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.

10. [P]eople will eventually be unable to say, They fell in love and married, let alone understand the language of Romeo and Juliet, but will as a matter of course say, Privileging each other as objects of heterosexual desire, they signified their withdrawal from the sexual marketplace by valorizing the marital contract as an instrument of bourgeois hegemony.
The Decline and Fall of Literature by Andrew Delbanco | The New York Review of Books

The result? Students who develop a suffocating sense of superiority, who pass judgment on authors as racist, sexist, capitalist, imperialist or homophobic before even reading their works.

Political correctness is not designed to produce students who think for themselves, but, rather, cadres of self-absorbed reactionaries ready to take their orders from the movement.
Pearcey, "Saving Leonardo," chapter eight.
Interesting thread. Sorry I missed it ten years ago.

Definitely underscores my belief that the Marxists have infiltrated and are manipulating education at all levels in America, but most especially at the university level where state legislatures as rule don't 'meddle.'

Real subjects are rapidly being replaced with 'woke' curriculum that indoctrinates more than it educates. I image all the 'woke' institutions do not teach honest economics or history, no honest cause and effect, and certainly nothing seriously related to the documents the Founders left us to inform us of the intent that went into the Constitution.

If they don't control the curriculum. . .
If they don't rewrite and change the what 'facts' the curriculum will be allowed to include. . .
If they don't prevent old fashioned education from happening. . .

Then they can't prevent the people from seeing their end game of a totalitarian government that is able to control everything.

Interesting thread. Sorry I missed it ten years ago.

Definitely underscores my belief that the Marxists have infiltrated and are manipulating education at all levels in America, but most especially at the university level where state legislatures as rule don't 'meddle.'

Real subjects are rapidly being replaced with 'woke' curriculum that indoctrinates more than it educates. I image all the 'woke' institutions do not teach honest economics or history, no honest cause and effect, and certainly nothing seriously related to the documents the Founders left us to inform us of the intent that went into the Constitution.

If they don't control the curriculum. . .
If they don't rewrite and change the what 'facts' the curriculum will be allowed to include. . .
If they don't prevent old fashioned education from happening. . .

Then they can't prevent the people from seeing their end game of a totalitarian government that is able to control everyt hing.
So true, Foxy. I'm not optimistic about the toothpaste getting back into the tube. I see the end of America, and Westen Civilization, as we know them. Sad. Best wishes to you and yours. PC

So true, Foxy. I'm not optimistic about the toothpaste getting back into the tube. I see the end of America, and Westen Civilization, as we know them. Sad. Best wishes to you and yours. PC
I just wish there was some way to get all the still sane people to see it and to get behind the GOP candidates at all levels and vote for them in November even if they have to hold their noses to do so. It's our only hope to stave it off and prevent your (and my) worst fears from becoming prophecy.

PC, does any of your research ever cite authorities on the matter or do you just pick and choose obscure articles to prove the negative stereotype?
Did you vote for the purveyors of chaos and violence, the Democrats???

• Under Trump gasoline was about $1.80 a gallon….but you voted against that
  • Under Trump we were energy independent….but you voted against that.
  • Under Trump 80% of illegal alien were kept in Mexico….but you voted against that.
  • Under Trump inflation was 1.4%….but you voted against that.
  • Under Trump crime was far lower, as were homicides….but you voted against that.
  • Under Trump Iran was kept in a box….but you voted against that.
  • Under Trump America had an airbase near both China and Iran….but you voted against that.
  • Under Trump our President wasn’t on China’s payroll….but you voted against that.
  • Under Trump cartels weren’t free to operate….but you voted against that.
  • Under Trump government didn’t favor racism, CRT, gender mutilation….but you voted against that.
  • Under Trump we didn’t have confiscatory tax policy….but you voted against that.
  • Under Trump we didn’t have a government working with big tech to end free speech….but you voted against that.

I just wish there was some way to get all the still sane people to see it and to get behind the GOP candidates at all levels and vote for them in November even if they have to hold their noses to do so. It's our only hope to stave it off and prevent your (and my) worst fears from becoming prophecy.
So sad that it will never happen as long as the Devil's battalions own the media, legal profession, education, and popular culture.

Forum List

Back