Universities: Either Mozart or Marx

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Many of us have chuckled reading the post of a local dunce who carries on about Republicans being anti-education.
And he usually gets away with that because it is assumed that we all agree on what 'education' means.

Well...some realize that "education" has long ago left the building....since the Progressive/Liberal/Left took over the universities.

1. Brown University, once a proud member of the Ivy League, is the laughing stock of same because it gave up any real curriculum.
“As a student activist at Brown University in the late 1960s, he [Ira Magaziner] helped codify the no-requirements approach of the so-called New Curriculum (few grades, lots of self-discovery) and changed the face of modern academics. As Bill Clinton's point man on health care in 1994, he led perhaps the most contentious public-policy project of the last 20 years.”
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HWW/is_9_4/ai_71561446/

2. Once the Leftists had a free hand, they imposed their trinity as more important than actual learning.
The Left-wing ‘trinity’= race, gender, class.

3. " Compare the humanists' hunger for learning with the resentment of a Columbia University undergraduate, who had been required by the school's core curriculum to study Mozart. She happens to be black, but her views are widely shared, to borrow a phrase, "across gender, sexuality, race and class."

4. "Why did I have to listen in music humanities to this Mozart?" she groused in a discussion of the curriculum reported by David Denby in "Great Books," his 1997 account of re-enrolling in Columbia's core curriculum. "My problem with the core is that it upholds the premises of white supremacy and racism. It's a racist core. Who is this Mozart, this Haydn, these superior white men? There are no women, no people of color."
These are not the idiosyncratic thoughts of one disgruntled student; they represent the dominant ideology in the humanities today.

5. In 2011, the University of California at Los Angeles wrecked its English major. Such a development may seem insignificant, compared with, say, the federal takeover of health care. It is not. What happened at UCLA is part of a momentous shift that bears on our relationship to the past—and to civilization itself.

6. Until 2011, students majoring in English at UCLA had to take one course in Chaucer, two in Shakespeare, and one in Milton —the cornerstones of English literature. Following a revolt of the junior faculty, however, during which it was announced that Shakespeare was part of the "Empire," UCLA junked these individual author requirements.

7. It replaced them with a mandate that all English majors take a total of three courses in the following four areas: Gender, Race, Ethnicity, Disability and Sexuality Studies; Imperial, Transnational, and Postcolonial Studies; genre studies, interdisciplinary studies, and critical theory; or creative writing." Heather Mac Donald: The Humanities Have Forgotten Their Humanity - WSJ.com

8. This from a letter which a professor of English at Syracuse University recently wrote to the Chronicle of Higher Education describing the only real issue in literary study as helping students to perceive "which side of the world-historical class struggle they take: the side of the owners of the means of production, or the side of the workers. This and only this is the real question in textual literacy." The Hermeneutics of Innocence: Literary Criticism from a Christian Perspective

9. The most important understanding is that the hard Left, the Marxist Left, controls secular society. A close look at contemporary mania for ‘political correctness’ reveals its derivation from Marxist ‘revolt against oppression’- but only certain groups are certified as ‘the oppressed.’
And the basis for certification is race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.

10. “[P]eople will eventually be unable to say, ‘They fell in love and married,’ let alone understand the language of Romeo and Juliet, but will as a matter of course say,… “Privileging each other as objects of heterosexual desire, they signified their withdrawal from the sexual marketplace by valorizing the marital contract as an instrument of bourgeois hegemony.”
The Decline and Fall of Literature by Andrew Delbanco | The New York Review of Books

The result? Students who develop a suffocating sense of superiority, who pass judgment on authors as racist, sexist, capitalist, imperialist or homophobic before even reading their works.

Political correctness is not designed to produce students who think for themselves, but, rather, cadres of self-absorbed reactionaries ready to take their orders from ‘the movement.’
Pearcey, "Saving Leonardo," chapter eight.

PC, does any of your research ever cite authorities on the matter or do you just pick and choose obscure articles to prove the negative stereotype?

You are 100% correct PC

The word 'progressive' is just code for Marxism.

But the U.S. educational system has dumbed down American citizens so much.

They don't have a clue they are being manipulated by radical communists.

Or that the end game is to turn our country into a clone of N. Korea .... :doubt:

You are 100% correct PC

Or that the end game is to turn our country into a clone of N. Korea .... :doubt:

:thup:

Unfortunately, my long-held observations as well.

You are 100% correct PC

I wish I could argue with that....but, they do seem to have won....

In that case, the 'shining city on the hill' is no more.

You know that I blame FDR for aligning this nation with the USSR and telling the nation to overlook the horrors of communism....

" I don't think he anticipated that the degradation of Ivy League education by political correctness, grade inflation and affirmative action would cancel the IQ effect and lead to a cultural elite of such ignorance. Unfortunately, at the moment, we are ruled by such people although the exposure of their incompetence may have salutary effects later on." The Credentialed Gentry and The Unpersuaded Yahoos by Elizabeth Scalia | First Things

The most important understanding is that the hard Left, the Marxist Left, controls secular society

Now even the Goodwill band goosesteps. The bank in Senca, Mo is called the Peoples Bank, family gatherings for barn raising, collectivism every where you go.

Last edited:
The most important understanding is that the hard Left, the Marxist Left, controls secular society

Now even the Goodwill band goosesteps. The bank in Senca, Mo is called the Peoples Bank, family gatherings for barn raising, collectivism every where you go.
Cohesion within groups is not a bad thing; generally, it's voluntary.

Coersive cohesion, on the other hand, is what conservatives take issue with, as when it snatches up youth in these universities before they're mature enough to realize it.

Coersive cohesion, on the other hand, is what conservatives take issue with, as when it snatches up youth in these universities before they're mature enough to realize it.

A Yali does not mind what a Browni does.

And we don't mind what businesses and families do.

When I was in college I had to much to do to join any frats for brats of social organizations on the quad.

David Horowitz tried for years to draw attention to the danger of the Marxist controlled educational system, to no avail. The Republican Party is a co-conspirator in the downfall

Yup!

More from same:

" The phrase "credentialed gentry" captures the situation nicely. Far from being truly educated, this group is so devoid of actual, original thoughts, they are almost paralyzed when a new idea comes along. The reaction of the CG crowd to the tea parties and Sarah Palin is a clear example this.

The legitimate liberal response to the tea party movement should have been "This is good. We live in a democracy and people are participating." Pro-diversity, pro-woman liberals should have had at least a few kind words for Sarah Palin. Instead, when something new comes along that doesn't fit into their paradigm and they simply attack it."

1. Tough to find a conservative at Yale, much less at Brown.
My pal was the only Yale ROTC...and took a lot of abuse for it. The day he graduated he was commissioned in Armored Cav.

2. Since my sis graduated from Brown, I love to remind about this:

"We were talking about what they were learning in the course, and I mentioned how much it helped me in my upper-level English courses to be able to refer to Augustine's attachment to Neoplatonism before his conversion, and rely upon the fact that the students would know something of what I was talking about. They said that they didn't know anything of it either, and I laughed and replied that they would, by the end of this semester.

And I added, "Unlike freshmen at that four-year community college on the other side of the city, er, you know, what's its name -- Brown!" We had a nice laugh at that. For Brown has had no real curriculum since the days when Ira Magaziner was a student rebel there, and assisted the administration in eliminating it."
The Credentialed Gentry and The Unpersuaded Yahoos by Elizabeth Scalia | First Things

When I was in college I had to much to do to join any frats for brats of social organizations on the quad.

I heard you graduated with a 4.0......blood alcohol level.

"...I had to (sic) much to do..."
Did any of it actually involve learning???

TWO Two means only the number 2. For example: Two weeks ago, two new employees
were hired at my factory located two miles away from my home.

two years two men two ways two causes two books
(2) (2) (2) (2) (2)

TO 1. A preposition used in front of a noun or pronoun
• to school
• to my church

• to the room
• to u
• to them

2. In front of a verb in the present tense.
• to go
• to b
• to ea
• to slee
• to rea
• to laug
• to sin

TOO 1. As another word for also.

I saw Star Wars, and my cousin saw it too.
(also)

Many people like chocolate ice cream, and I like it too.
(also)
2. A word meaning very or extremely or going beyond a proper limit.
• too expensive
• too fas
• too slow
• too ta
• too littl
• too late

http://www.jalc.edu/departmentpages..._tutorials/45_worksheet_on_two_to_and_too.pdf

Did you mean "college," or "collage"?

Just checkin'....

Forum List

Back