Univ of Louisville "Core Values" #5: NO GUNS; Agree/Disagree?

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
So, as FB season grows closer, I get so excited, and was watching ESPNU today and "College Football Live". They were at the University of Louisville. The Cardinals are ranked preseason top 10, and are seen by many as a possible National Championship contender. Their head coach, Charlie Strong, is as classy and respected of a man as you could ever ask for.

If you go back and watch the show, they have a poster hanging in their team meeting rooms, it reads "CORE VALUES" of the team. They were:

1- Honesty
2- Respect to others
3- No stealing
4- No drugs
5- No guns

Now, U of L is a PUBLIC school. Aka, a government school.

How do you feel about this? A public school, with a public govt employee, encouraging as a "Core value" into 100 young people on government scholarship "no guns"?

It does not advocate against the 2nd Amendment. It advocates that thugs are not welcome. Or perhaps you can explain why a College Football player would need a gun in school, on the field or in the locker room.

Further most colleges it is illegal to have a firearm on campus.

So, as FB season grows closer, I get so excited, and was watching ESPNU today and "College Football Live". They were at the University of Louisville. The Cardinals are ranked preseason top 10, and are seen by many as a possible National Championship contender. Their head coach, Charlie Strong, is as classy and respected of a man as you could ever ask for.

If you go back and watch the show, they have a poster hanging in their team meeting rooms, it reads "CORE VALUES" of the team. They were:

1- Honesty
2- Respect to others
3- No stealing
4- No drugs
5- No guns

How do you feel about this? A public school, with a public govt employee, encouraging as a "Core value" into 100 young people on government scholarship "no guns"?

And to think that that is my Alma Mater......strange world, indeed. The mere idea that these "core values" would have to be written for College students boggles the mind.

Last edited:
It does not advocate against the 2nd Amendment. It advocates that thugs are not welcome. Or perhaps you can explain why a College Football player would need a gun in school, on the field or in the locker room.

I dont know. The right wing has been pushing for years for us all to understand why students should be allowed to carry a gun on campus. And in parks.

And, why do you jump to the thought "thugs not welcome"? Does owning a gun make one a "thug"? Or....is it just when a black guy owns a gun he becomes a thug, as most U of L players are black, including the head coach?

I dont know. The right wing has been pushing for years for us all to understand why students should be allowed to carry a gun on campus. And in parks.

And, why do you jump to the thought "thugs not welcome"? Does owning a gun make one a "thug"? Or....is it just when a black guy owns a gun he becomes a thug, as most U of L players are black, including the head coach?

Maybe the coach understands something about his players that you don't.

I agree. A college Football player does not need a gun.

And if you aren't a cop or a soldier, you probably don't need one, either.

Psychopathic mass shooters love gun free zones.

I'd carry anyway and no one would ever know.

And if the idiot administrators at that college think that students aren't getting high then they're too fucking stupid to be in charge of a college.

How do you figure that? It is a poster of "core values". That means norms the team strives for. Everyone would agree that honesty and hard work ought to be core values. So should striving for excellence. No drugs might be part of excellence but could merit separate mention.
No guns?
That doesnt mean just in the meeting room or on the field. That means always and everywhere. If the school has a trap or skeet team, that means no guns there. If they have a small bore rifle team that means no guns there. If they have an ROTC that means no guns there. It is a core value, not a rule for the building.
The equation of guns with drugs and stealing is disturbing.

Yeah, it still is.

No, it really isn't.

Yes, it really is. Always will be as long as UK resides in the state.

UK is Kentucky's land grant university, and always will be. And yes, it gets more state funding that U of L primarily because of that fact. The fact remains that U of L is growing faster, and is one of the only universities that has had two major national sports championships in the same academic year. UK has not done this. Stay tuned for this year.

No, it really isn't.

UK is Kentucky's land grant university, and always will be. And yes, it gets more state funding that U of L primarily because of that fact. The fact remains that U of L is growing faster, and is one of the only universities that has had two major national sports championships in the same academic year. UK has not done this. Stay tuned for this year.

I distinctly remember Joe B. Hall referring to U of L as those "Black Birds" and Adolph Rupp stating that "No ****** will EVER play for me". I went to Louisville in the "lean" years when they couldn't win a pie eating contest.

Things change UK.....you'd do well to realize that. :lol:

I distinctly remember Joe B. Hall referring to U of L as those "Black Birds" and Adolph Rupp stating that "No ****** will EVER play for me". I went to Louisville in the "lean" years when they couldn't win a pie eating contest.

Things change UK.....you'd do well to realize that. :lol:

Exactly.

1- Honesty
2- Respect to others
3- No stealing
4- No drugs
5- No guns

Every politically controlled educational system will inculcate the doctrine of state supremacy sooner or later. . . . Once that doctrine has been accepted, it becomes an almost superhuman task to break the stranglehold of the political power over the life of the citizen. It has had his body, property and mind in its clutches from infancy. An octopus would sooner release its prey. A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state.

–Isabel Paterson, The God of the Machine (1943)

HUH??

We have a right to life and to defend the same.

So what does being a thug or being in school has anything to do with it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

HUH??

We have a right to life and to defend the same.

So what does being a thug or being in school has anything to do with it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Try teaching a group of college basketball players for a semester and you might figure it out.

Forum List

Back