Unity is dead

I think he meant that companies don´t release Linux versions of their software products. If we look at mobile devices, it is the other way round, although not that bad.

WHich is exactly why M$ turned their OS into an advertising revenue generating machine.
The millenials and Gen Z use their phones for everything. And M$ marketshare of phones last I knew was .4%...less than 1%.
M$ is in real trouble, and they know it. They haven't managed to find someone to buy to claim as their product. And they won't.

I think he meant that companies don´t release Linux versions of their software products. If we look at mobile devices, it is the other way round, although not that bad.

WHich is exactly why M$ turned their OS into an advertising revenue generating machine.
The millenials and Gen Z use their phones for everything. And M$ marketshare of phones last I knew was .4%...less than 1%.
M$ is in real trouble, and they know it. They haven't managed to find someone to buy to claim as their product. And they won't.
0,1 % according to latest reports. MS is to blame. WP7/8 was a terrible joke, basically not more than ugly app launchers without apps. 10M is better but it is still not satisfying and too late. They should have developed Windows Mobile 6 further. It is a quite good OS that has plenty of settings and leaves the essential decisions to the user. But users were crying about the UI with its small buttons ect. No reason to make a crappy OS, though.

I have had issues with Mint networking on multiple occasions. The issue was networking between Windows PCs and Linux PCs. Figuring out how to get it working properly was something that I am confident many PC users would not have been willing or able to deal with. I've had the same sorts of issues trying to get games to play on Linux. In the past week I've found videos that would not play on VLC on Linux, but played fine on VLC on Windows.

Linux does not have the support Windows does, it is not a type of OS most people are used to, so it is not as easy to use for most beginners.
People are welcome to chose what they want but the criticisms against Linux are often unfair and designed to scare people off in favor of the 800 lb. commercial gorilla. Propaganda in other words.

Networking? I never dicked around with it. I plug in the cable or click the my wifi once. If yours didn't network with Windows that's the fault of Linux?

The only videos I have had trouble with in the past is Adobe flash in a browser. Happened with Android as well. I don't know the ins and outs but heard flash has security issues and is being replaced. Commercial games developers are in bed with Microsoft, does that need to be explained? I personally would prefer a dedicated gaming machine but it's an unfair criticism against Linux distros.

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true at all. I use Mint, and I know for certain that some of the things I've had to do, the information I've spent lots of time trying to look up, that many people would be unwilling to do. Networking can be a pain, common programs aren't always as up to date (VLC, for example, sometimes will not play videos in Mint that it will play in Win7), and for anyone who likes to play PC games, Linux just isn't a good option.

Now, that isn't necessarily an issue with Linux per se. If there were more support for Linux, it would be different. As it stands, though, I don't think your average PC user would be happy with ever having to use command line. Your average user would have no idea how to install programs in Linux, and probably wouldn't want to have to learn a new way of doing things. Given time and more familiarity, again, things would be different, but for now, I think the average PC user would end up unhappy with Linux.

Really? You ever hear of rinse and repeat? You do it well.
Networking is easy to do with any computer, Linux included. In fact Mint connects to your network for you before you even install it....so..again...your little stories fail.
We have heard you before lament on the horrors of Linux and it just doesn't pass the smell test.
He is a relatively "new" Linux and has had some of the problems faced by many new users. Hell I didn't know how to install new programs that were not in the repository until years after I started using Linux. Much of the issue there is knowledge of not only the operating system but the packages included. More than half the people I've turned on to Linux went back to Windows for one reason or another, it's to be expected. You're just being defensive now.
People prefer to click on setup to install a program.
Funny, that's what I do with Ubuntu and Mint now......... but yes that is true. :eusa_whistle:
There is a Software Manager or whatever it is called. What´s not included, needs extraordinary efforts to be installed. Even Android, a mobile OS, offers more comfort in this regard.
....more stupid lies. You are dedicated to proving how ignorant a loud mouth can be. Every distro I've installed has had a software manager, you just press the little install button with the mouse thingy.

Networking is easy to do with any computer, Linux included. In fact Mint connects to your network for you before you even install it....so..again...your little stories fail.
We have heard you before lament on the horrors of Linux and it just doesn't pass the smell test.
He is a relatively "new" Linux and has had some of the problems faced by many new users. Hell I didn't know how to install new programs that were not in the repository until years after I started using Linux. Much of the issue there is knowledge of not only the operating system but the packages included. More than half the people I've turned on to Linux went back to Windows for one reason or another, it's to be expected. You're just being defensive now.
Funny, that's what I do with Ubuntu and Mint now......... but yes that is true. :eusa_whistle:
There is a Software Manager or whatever it is called. What´s not included, needs extraordinary efforts to be installed. Even Android, a mobile OS, offers more comfort in this regard.
....more stupid lies. You are dedicated to proving how ignorant a loud mouth can be. Every distro I've installed has had a software manager, you just press the little install button with the mouse thingy.
Read before you start foaming. I said nowhere that a software manager is not included.

I have had issues with Mint networking on multiple occasions. The issue was networking between Windows PCs and Linux PCs. Figuring out how to get it working properly was something that I am confident many PC users would not have been willing or able to deal with. I've had the same sorts of issues trying to get games to play on Linux. In the past week I've found videos that would not play on VLC on Linux, but played fine on VLC on Windows.

Linux does not have the support Windows does, it is not a type of OS most people are used to, so it is not as easy to use for most beginners.
People are welcome to chose what they want but the criticisms against Linux are often unfair and designed to scare people off in favor of the 800 lb. commercial gorilla. Propaganda in other words.

Networking? I never dicked around with it. I plug in the cable or click the my wifi once. If yours didn't network with Windows that's the fault of Linux?

The only videos I have had trouble with in the past is Adobe flash in a browser. Happened with Android as well. I don't know the ins and outs but heard flash has security issues and is being replaced. Commercial games developers are in bed with Microsoft, does that need to be explained? I personally would prefer a dedicated gaming machine but it's an unfair criticism against Linux distros.
No, they are not in bed with Microsoft. They just know it doesn´t pay off to provide their games to the free users around on Linux. 1,7 %. You are just being nonserious.

No, they are not in bed with Microsoft. They just know it doesn´t pay off to provide their games to the free users around on Linux. 1,7 %. You are just being nonserious.
Yes, they don't want to provide games to free users. LOL, you're retarded.

Read before you start foaming. I said nowhere that a software manager is not included.
..."needs extraordinary efforts". You are speaking for yourself. Most users know how to click install buttons.

You aren't even a clever propagandizer.

..."needs extraordinary efforts". You are speaking for yourself. Most users know how to click install buttons.

This is another thing you won´t tell you friends about Linux: A Linux program will not run on any distro. What´s not in a distro´s repository, is simply not available and needs to be recompiled before. Basically those switching to Linux are left alone with Iceweasel and the Tea Timer. It´s like to be a downshifter. And all that stuff is available on Windows as well, by the way.

This is another thing you won´t tell you friends about Linux: A Linux program will not run on any distro. What´s not in a distro´s repository, is simply not available and needs to be recompiled before. Basically those switching to Linux are left alone with Iceweasel and the Tea Timer. It´s like to be a downshifter. And all that stuff is available on Windows as well, by the way.
WTF are you babbling about NOW? When did I decide to be secretive? Distros have their own software managers LIKE WE JUST DISCUSSED so you go there and get it.

However I have installed many by adding a repository to the sources. It's been a few years though since Mint 18 is fully loaded. You never know what the fuck you're talking about, Nazi boy.

WTF are you babbling about NOW? When did I decide to be secretive? Distros have their own software managers LIKE WE JUST DISCUSSED so you go there and get it.

However I have installed many by adding a repository to the sources. It's been a few years though since Mint 18 is fully loaded. You never know what the fuck you're talking about, Nazi boy.
You can´t simply add another respiratory because the content might be incompatible. I click on setup, instead. Big choice and stuff. Windows is de-facto part of the PC platform, without it it might not even exist anymore.
And what about the Nazi thingy? Are all Windows users Nazis?

You can´t simply add another respiratory because the content might be incompatible. I click on setup, instead. Big choice and stuff. Windows is de-facto part of the PC platform, without it it might not even exist anymore.
The PC world would be better off. Innovation has been stifled.

As far as repositories, no they are not all compatible, otherwise it would be in Synaptic or the manager. It's a risk you take. I had a few that failed but I managed to live through it.

The PC world would be better off. Innovation has been stifled.

As far as repositories, no they are not all compatible, otherwise it would be in Synaptic or the manager. It's a risk you take. I had a few that failed but I managed to live through it.
What innovation?

Linux has failed on desktops? Really? Guess that's why Linux has grown from barely 2% of the market share to 5% of the market share...... Sounds like failure to me...... :lmao:
5% now? Really? What a fantastic success!!
Was waiting for that pathetic response...... Funny how I knew it was coming. Another deflection or just plain biased stupidity?
5% = below any relevance.
Careful, your biased stupidity is showing....... Never took any business, hell considering your extensive ignorance level how are you able to type let alone think? :dunno:
A 3% increase in market share is not a sign of a failed product regardless of what it's current overall market share is now.......
The Linux market share on desktops is 1,7 % (Juni 2017), bigfoot.
Don't know where you're getting your info from but it's already at 2.36% and growing as predicted and expected to hit the 5% mark this year.

Operating system market share

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true at all. I use Mint, and I know for certain that some of the things I've had to do, the information I've spent lots of time trying to look up, that many people would be unwilling to do. Networking can be a pain, common programs aren't always as up to date (VLC, for example, sometimes will not play videos in Mint that it will play in Win7), and for anyone who likes to play PC games, Linux just isn't a good option.

Now, that isn't necessarily an issue with Linux per se. If there were more support for Linux, it would be different. As it stands, though, I don't think your average PC user would be happy with ever having to use command line. Your average user would have no idea how to install programs in Linux, and probably wouldn't want to have to learn a new way of doing things. Given time and more familiarity, again, things would be different, but for now, I think the average PC user would end up unhappy with Linux.

And the last time you tried this was............ when?
I just downloaded Opera the other day (compressed debian files), the extract box opened up on it's own, I extracted, show files, install....... done.

5% now? Really? What a fantastic success!!
Was waiting for that pathetic response...... Funny how I knew it was coming. Another deflection or just plain biased stupidity?
Careful, your biased stupidity is showing....... Never took any business, hell considering your extensive ignorance level how are you able to type let alone think? :dunno:
A 3% increase in market share is not a sign of a failed product regardless of what it's current overall market share is now.......
Don't know where you're getting your info from but it's already at 2.36% and growing as predicted and expected to hit the 5% mark this year.

So its 1,7 or 2,3, maybe 2 %. So it is the same as ever.

I just downloaded Opera the other day (compressed debian files), the extract box opened up on it's own, I extracted, show files, install....... done.
So Opera is one of the few exceptions that come with an installer. How do you install your nvidia graphics driver?

It's projected to hit 5% this year. Why you have such a hard on over it I don't know.

Show me on the doll where Linux touched you.

271.jpg

So Opera is one of the few exceptions that come with an installer. How do you install your nvidia graphics driver?
Settings-Additional Drivers-(auto search)-select NVidia driver that is recommended and it installs. I know, I did it 20 seconds after the OS installed.

It's projected to hit 5% this year. Why you have such a hard on over it I don't know.

Show me on the doll where Linux touched you.

271.jpg
Instead of this disgusting doll, I expected a source for your claim. After all, your original claim is 5 % by the way.

Forum List

Back