United Arab Emirates: Trapped, Exploited, Abused

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I think this happens to many of the domestic workers in the oil-rich Arab countries.

United Arab Emirates: Trapped, Exploited, Abused

Migrant Domestic Workers Get Scant Protection
OCTOBER 23, 2014

• Enlarge

A foreign domestic worker with a child under a billboard in the United Arab Emirates.

© 2006 Abbas/Magnum Photos
OUR REPORT:

• "I Already Bought You"

Abuse and Exploitation of Female Migrant Domestic Workers in the United Arab Emirates
    OCTOBER 22, 2014
    GET THE REPORT:
    application-pdf.png
    Download the full report
    application-pdf.png
    Download the summary and recommendations in Bahasa
    GO TO REPORT HOME »
The UAE’s sponsorship system chains domestic workers to their employers and then leaves them isolated and at risk of abuse behind the closed doors of private homes. With no labor law protections for domestic workers, employers can, and many do, overwork, underpay, and abuse these women.
Rothna Begum, Middle East women’s rights researcher
(Manila) – Migrant domestic workers in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are beaten, exploited, and trapped in forced labor situations, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. The UAE government, about to take up an influential new role in the International Labour Organization (ILO), has failed to adequately protect female domestic workers – many of them from the Philippines – from abuse by employers and recruiters.

The 79-page report, “‘I Already Bought You’: Abuse and Exploitation of Female Migrant Domestic Workers in the United Arab Emirates”, documents how the UAE’s visa sponsorship system, known as kafala, and the lack of labor law protections leave migrant domestic workers exposed to abuse. Domestic workers, most from Asia and Africa, cannot move to a new job before their contracts end without the employer’s consent, trapping many in abusive conditions. Labor-sending countries don’t fully protect the workers against deceptive recruitment practices or provide adequate assistance to abused nationals abroad.

Continue reading at:

United Arab Emirates Trapped Exploited Abused Human Rights Watch?

Forum List

Back