Unemployment Down to 7.8%

That is the take the rightwing propaganda machine has all but unanimously decided to go with.

Anyone see the problem(s) with that strategy? That foolish strategy that someone didn't think through?

Let me help you -

1. No one in normal America is going to buy into a rightwing birther-type conspiracy theory at this point. It may console and cajole the 'nuts, but the 'nuts aren't normal. So you gain nothing in the way of discrediting the actual number, BUT

2. The theory establishes and asserts, most emphatically, that the number was GOOD. in fact it was GREAT! SO GREAT that it must have been faked, by the Obama campaign, for political gain. Why would you fake a number if it wasn't GREAT???

That wipes out any argument that the number was, in reality, another bad number, another weak report, another piece of evidence AGAINST Obama's case for re-election.

And who would have been trying to benefit from portraying this as a real, but bad, number? That leads us to

3. The Romney campaign. It was out this morning, in case you missed it, and many probably did once the conspiracy tsunami hit the airwaves,

trying to sell the idea that the UE number was bad - not fake - but BAD. The conspiracy crazies buried that argument entirely. Why would Obama fake a bad number??

Good job, 'nuts, you managed not only to knock the other night's debate talk into the realm of ancient history,

but you also shot down your own guy's attempt to get his own spin on the UE numbers, and,

you underlined, accented, bolded, and lit up like a neon sign, for any who might have missed it,

how really GREAT a UE number this was!

AGAIN the only REASON the numbers went down is because they are HIRING for THE HOLIDAY season. This comes EVERY FREAKING year. THESE ARE PART TIME< LOW PAYING JOBS that will go away after the HOLIDAY SEASON ... You can spin it the way you want but this is the fact.... And I didnt see how many people stopped looking for JObs and just fell out of the workforce ..Anyone????

AGAIN the only REASON the numbers went down is because they are HIRING for THE HOLIDAY season. This comes EVERY FREAKING year. THESE ARE PART TIME< LOW PAYING JOBS that will go away after the HOLIDAY SEASON ... You can spin it the way you want but this is the fact.... And I didnt see how many people stopped looking for JObs and just fell out of the workforce ..Anyone????

Just like every other year, the UE rate is seasonally adjusted to account for holiday season jobs.

You libs are pathetic joke, as is the so-called improvement in the economy:cuckoo: Lets have a party.

What is U6 unemployment rate ?

The U6 unemployment rate counts not only people without work seeking full-time employment (the more familiar U-3 rate), but also counts "marginally attached workers and those working part-time for economic reasons." Note that some of these part-time workers counted as employed by U-3 could be working as little as an hour a week. And the "marginally attached workers" include those who have gotten discouraged and stopped looking, but still want to work. The age considered for this calculation is 16 years and over

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate

U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons
marginally attached to the labor force, plus
total employed part time for economic reasons,
as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all
persons marginally attached to the labor
force.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Aug. 2012 Sept. 2012

14.7 .............14.7
page 26
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/empsit_10052012.pdf

That is the take the rightwing propaganda machine has all but unanimously decided to go with.

Anyone see the problem(s) with that strategy? That foolish strategy that someone didn't think through?

Let me help you -

1. No one in normal America is going to buy into a rightwing birther-type conspiracy theory at this point. It may console and cajole the 'nuts, but the 'nuts aren't normal. So you gain nothing in the way of discrediting the actual number, BUT

2. The theory establishes and asserts, most emphatically, that the number was GOOD. in fact it was GREAT! SO GREAT that it must have been faked, by the Obama campaign, for political gain. Why would you fake a number if it wasn't GREAT???

That wipes out any argument that the number was, in reality, another bad number, another weak report, another piece of evidence AGAINST Obama's case for re-election.

And who would have been trying to benefit from portraying this as a real, but bad, number? That leads us to

3. The Romney campaign. It was out this morning, in case you missed it, and many probably did once the conspiracy tsunami hit the airwaves,

trying to sell the idea that the UE number was bad - not fake - but BAD. The conspiracy crazies buried that argument entirely. Why would Obama fake a bad number??

Good job, 'nuts, you managed not only to knock the other night's debate talk into the realm of ancient history,

but you also shot down your own guy's attempt to get his own spin on the UE numbers, and,

you underlined, accented, bolded, and lit up like a neon sign, for any who might have missed it,

how really GREAT a UE number this was!

Since your man is President Obama, the more pressing question you should be asking yourself is how bad will he look when this outlier corrects itself with October's numbers? President Obama will look like a complete incompetent and moron when the UE rate goes back up over 8% and he's been talking up this pathetic 7.8% rate and touting the improving economy for a month.

The numbers put out today, just like all the numbers, will be revised, and as usual they will be revised up, but that will happen afer the election.

Of course we can trust the Dept of Labor to be honest and do the best they can, right?

Is this the same trustworthy Dept of Labor, entrusted to enforce our labor laws that is currently telling defense contractors to ignore the law that requires a 60 day law off notice, and telling them that the tax payers will foot the legal bills if their workers sue them?

How the hell could anyone question their data, after all they will allways stay above politics, RIGHT?

Gever me a freaking break.

what I find interesting is the participation rate is lower now than in July, yet the unemployment number has gone down. Looking even further, a number of jobs were added at the federal level. Another interesting thing to note, is most of the jobs were added to the transportaion and warehouse sector yet strangely, orders are down.

Factory orders post largest fall since recession - chicagotribune.com

None of it makes sense. The one thing that American people will not tolerate is being lied to. We are being lied to big time. Most people will recognize this. As soon as it starts not making sense, there will be the realization that it's just not true. People generally react with fury when they've been snowed this badly.

I've got to say, I have had people that usually don't talk politics with me, bring it up today, saying the books have to be cooked as it just doesn't make sense. So there is hope yet.

They aren't cooked, they quit actively looking for week. So the real unemployment went up,the active unemployment went down. Both are way to high and at least we are adding more jobs, which is a plus, but what kind of jobs? Lots of low wage jobs getting filled, so they become under employed instead of unemployed.

The numbers put out today, just like all the numbers, will be revised, and as usual they will be revised up, but that will happen afer the election.

New jobs have actually been revised up in five of the eight months that have seen revisions this year.

As usual the numbers are seasonally adjusted, the BLS is one step ahead of you.

I got it from this:

If you multiply that times 12 months, that is 1.5 Million. Where I made my mistake was not accounting for the currently unemployed.

:redface:

Ah, I c what u did there. Well played.

Do you (or any one else) know how we figure a person has stopped looking for work?
Decision Darts
Dartboard_decision_833.jpg

And the funniest thing is you buy it every time.

Last edited:
Ok Carbineer, explain to me how the number of jobs last month were more and the rate went up 0.1% but with lower numbers in Sep, the rate went down 0.3%

I'd love an explanation

And here we have pinqy using the source that COOKS the numbers to justify why someone is wrong.:eusa_whistle:

And your source of data is...?????

125,000 jobs need to be created every month for account for growth in the American workforce, 114,000 were created, so we have 11,000 job short fall. We were at 8.1% unemployment and now we fell to 7.9%, yet we didn't meet the minimum job growth. That doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense to me.
THE NUMBERS ARE COOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And your source of data is...?????

125,000 jobs need to be created every month for account for growth in the American workforce, 114,000 were created, so we have 11,000 job short fall. We were at 8.1% unemployment and now we fell to 7.9%, yet we didn't meet the minimum job growth. That doesn't make sense.

Which is why I don't buy the 125,000 created each month benchmark. Lets look at it:

That means that each year, 1.5 million people enter the workforce. Right (125,000 X 12)?

So if that were the case, we should never have more than 1.5 million more jobs created in a year then, right?

Am I missing something so far?
Liberal fuzzy math is what I call it.

Point of Order: The Bureau of Labor Statistics is a bipartisan, independent entity, firewalled from the White House and Department of Labor. -TPM

Isn't that the same song and dance they do about the NLRB, independent, bipartisan, RIGHT? BS!

There were fewer jobs created this year than last, there were fewer jobs created in Sep than in Aug, fewer jobs created in Aug than in Jul, and the UE rate falls? The only way that happens is they quit counting a butt load of people. In real numbers there are 500,000 fewer people working now than when Maobama took office, and the UE falls? This only proves that stats lie and liars use stats.

Forum List

Back