Unemployed Running Out Of Time, Money!

No problemo...we'll just have the unemployed take out loans from the Chinese!

Well, it works for our government...

Of course you will since the Number the Government puts out is based on how many people are collection benefits.

They do measure the number of people collecting benefits but that's not where the unemployment numbers come from:

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and since it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940, when it began as a Work Projects Administration project. It has been expanded and modified several times since then. [...]

There are about 60,000 households in the sample for this survey. This translates into approximately 110,000 individuals, a large sample compared to public opinion surveys which usually cover fewer than 2,000 people. The CPS sample is selected so as to be representative of the entire population of the United States.​

It's not a gimmick. The bill has the Constitutionally necessary support to pass. The only gimmick are the procedural games being played by the Republicans to block a vote.

Go ahead and continue to ignore the fact that the Dems could have passed it if they wanted to. If they were willing to give just a little.

That's not true. If the Democrats would have given in on that, the Republicans would have made another demand and refused to let the bill move forward without that demand being met. If the Democrats had given in the next demand, the Republicans would have had a fresh objection. We've seen this movie before.

I'm willing to bet once the unemployment benefits run out, you're going to see a faster drop in the unemployment rate.

Of course you will since the Number the Government puts out is based on how many people are collection benefits.

That is why there is a dispute between the government numbers and what people call Real unemployment. See real unemployment includes those who have exhausted or do not qualify for Benefits but are still out of work. It also includes the Self employed who have lost their incomes.

I'm referring to the fact that once the checks stop coming people are going to double their efforts to try and find something. I have known people who have lost their jobs and freely decided to live off of unemployment for a few months to take a break from having to work.

That's not the reason why unemployment stats will fall. As more people give up looking for work because the private sector is not creating jobs, they won't be counted. The only net job creation since the so-called recovery started is in the government (mostly temp census workers).

Yeah, because that's clearly the problem. Jobs are all over the place, people just won't take them... :cuckoo:

I'm willing to bet once the unemployment benefits run out, you're going to see a faster drop in the unemployment rate.

That is why there is a dispute between the government numbers and what people call Real unemployment. See real unemployment includes those who have exhausted or do not qualify for Benefits but are still out of work. It also includes the Self employed who have lost their incomes.

Except that the unemployment rate isn't based on benefit claims. It's based on a household survey conducted by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

well here we are with "the Republicans did it" bullshit.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It would have only taken one of them to show that they cared about those who they claim President Obama has put out of work, when in fact, much of the blame lies on Congress as well as the President.

Immie

Considering that Obama has held back a large portion of the original Stimulus package funding, if he really wanted to extend unemployment benefits, all he would have to do is allocate some of the Stimulus for that purpose.

Wait, because the Republicans killed the unemployment benefits, people are going to blame Obama?

you're an idiot, All the Republicans did was filibuster the bill asking that we first come up with a way to pay for it, and also asking that the 30 Billion for the states the Dems attached to the bill be removed. They even suggested we use tarp funds to pay for it, and made it clear they would support it if we did either that or made other cuts to pay for it.

Why can't you freaking idiots get it. The Dems are in power. The have near super majorities. All they had to do was give on one of those demands and we would have extended unemployment benefits right now. Yet all you can think to do is blame the Republicans.

I say good for them for FINALLY taking a stand and saying ENOUGH DEFICIT SPENDING.

If you guys had an once of Intellectual honesty you would Blame the Democrats for Deliberately attaching another bail out of state budgets to the bill to force a confrontation with Republicans, and a handful of Fiscally conservative Democrats, precisely so they could then claim Republicans killed the bill and gain politically, and for refusing to even consider making cuts elsewhere to offset the cost of extending unemployment benefits.

My only comment about this is... NOW THEY WANT TO PAY FOR SPENDING WTF HAPPENED BEFORE WHEN THEY WERE IN CONTROL?

But then, I am a little biased at the moment since I am currently unemployed and concerned about my future.

Immie

Immie,

They couldn't use you to score political points then.

Pardon the expression, but F' their political points.

But, for the record, I'm not so sure where all of this stands and I fully expect the Republicans to cave in before the deadline.

I'd tell them here and now that if they don't they have lost my vote... but unfortunately, I have little leg to stand on in that case, because I have already made it clear that I'm sick of both parties and both parties can go straight to hell.

Now, that being said, I usually, (for some unknown reason) tend to agree with my Representative which quite frankly astounds me. I suppose I should go see where he stands on this issue.

As for my Senators, neither one of them seem to be worth a lick.

Immie

It's not a gimmick. The bill has the Constitutionally necessary support to pass. The only gimmick are the procedural games being played by the Republicans to block a vote.

Go ahead and continue to ignore the fact that the Dems could have passed it if they wanted to. If they were willing to give just a little.

That's not true. If the Democrats would have given in on that, the Republicans would have made another demand and refused to let the bill move forward without that demand being met. If the Democrats had given in the next demand, the Republicans would have had a fresh objection. We've seen this movie before.

That's what we call a lie. The Republicans offered more than once to end the filibuster if the Democrats would just consider making off setting cuts to pay for the new spending.

Wait, because the Republicans killed the unemployment benefits, people are going to blame Obama?

you're an idiot, All the Republicans did was filibuster the bill asking that we first come up with a way to pay for it, and also asking that the 30 Billion for the states the Dems attached to the bill be removed. They even suggested we use tarp funds to pay for it, and made it clear they would support it if we did either that or made other cuts to pay for it.

Why can't you freaking idiots get it. The Dems are in power. The have near super majorities. All they had to do was give on one of those demands and we would have extended unemployment benefits right now. Yet all you can think to do is blame the Republicans.

I say good for them for FINALLY taking a stand and saying ENOUGH DEFICIT SPENDING.

If you guys had an once of Intellectual honesty you would Blame the Democrats for Deliberately attaching another bail out of state budgets to the bill to force a confrontation with Republicans, and a handful of Fiscally conservative Democrats, precisely so they could then claim Republicans killed the bill and gain politically, and for refusing to even consider making cuts elsewhere to offset the cost of extending unemployment benefits.

My only comment about this is... NOW THEY WANT TO PAY FOR SPENDING WTF HAPPENED BEFORE WHEN THEY WERE IN CONTROL?

But then, I am a little biased at the moment since I am currently unemployed and concerned about my future.

Immie

Oh believe me I know and agree. The Answer is because Republicans are just like Democrats. They only say what they think we want to hear, and right now people want the government to stop spending money we don't have. So believe me I know how hypocritical it is for them to say it now, but damn it. At least they are saying it. Ill take it. Even if their motives are not righteous.

The out of control insane deficit spending has to stop now, and we have to stop accepting the Dems excuses when they point at the Republicans and say they did it to, and if the Republicans do get voted in and then do not stick to their word and end the Deficit spending, then we have to vote those bums out too. Maybe eventually someone will get it. Hopefully before we repeat the lessons of the Weimar republic.

Last edited:

Immie

Oh believe me I know and agree. The Answer is because Republicans are just like Democrats. They only say what they think we want to hear, and right now people want the government to stop spending money we don't have. So believe me I know how hypocritical it is for them to say it now, but damn it. At least they are saying it. Ill take it. Even if their motives are not righteous.

Hehe,

That is all fine and dandy, but now it hurts me. We can give a trillion dollars to CEO's to fatten their personal bank accounts but we can't help those that got caught up in a struggling economy?

I don't deserve any of the benefits that I have received, but I honestly do not know where to turn when those benefits run out. I seem to be over qualified for most of the jobs in my skills and under qualified for others and the few that fit my qualifications seem to have hundreds of others who are also qualified.

Can I go work at Walmart? I honestly don't know. I'm not desperate enough to try yet. I worked for Toys R Us when I was 18... wonder if they will rehire me to work on their game wall. Its only been 31 years since I worked there. Ouch! 31 years, Where the hell has time gone? I'd flip burgers if it came to that, but will McDonald's hire me knowing that I have every intention of leaving the minute something in my skill range becomes available? Why should they? They have kids right out of school who will work for nothing and mothers who want to earn a few extra bucks while the kids are in school.

Damn! I'm depressing myself. I can't even work for Mickey D's. ;)

Immie

Immie

Hehe,

That is all fine and dandy, but now it hurts me. We can give a trillion dollars to CEO's to fatten their personal bank accounts but we can't help those that got caught up in a struggling economy?

I don't deserve any of the benefits that I have received, but I honestly do not know where to turn when those benefits run out. I seem to be over qualified for most of the jobs in my skills and under qualified for others and the few that fit my qualifications seem to have hundreds of others who are also qualified.

Can I go work at Walmart? I honestly don't know. I'm not desperate enough to try yet. I worked for Toys R Us when I was 18... wonder if they will rehire me to work on their game wall. Its only been 31 years since I worked there. Ouch! 31 years, Where the hell has time gone? I'd flip burgers if it came to that, but will McDonald's hire me knowing that I have every intention of leaving the minute something in my skill range becomes available? Why should they? They have kids right out of school who will work for nothing and mothers who want to earn a few extra bucks while the kids are in school.

Damn! I'm depressing myself. I can't even work for Mickey D's. ;)

Immie

I am in the same boat as you immie. Still unemployed and exhausted benefits. The only difference is I see that the Democrats could have passed this bill if they had wanted to. They are at least as much at fault as the Republicans are. They did not have to be completely inflexible. If these benefits were so important, as we know they are, they could have found some wasteful spending to cut to pay for it, or they could have used TARP money to pay for it. They could have not attached additional bail out money for state government to it. There were plenty of ways the Democrats could have got this bill passed. In stead they have used it as an opportunity to score points and hurt republicans, when in truth they could have gotten it passed had they wanted too.

In effect the Democrats first attached 30 billion more dollars to bail out state budgets to the bill, to force Republicans who are under fire from their constituents, to be on record voting for more stimulus, and then Refused to even talk about possibly making off setting cuts to pay for the unemployment extension. Ask yourself why they did these things. There can be only one answer. To force the republicans hands. To make them either be on record voting for more reckless deficit spending, or be on record shooting down extended unemployment benefits during a time of crisis. That's what I call playing politics with peoples lives.

Last edited:
That's simply not true. The Republicans would have just kept demanding more and more concessions.

That's simply not true. The Republicans would have just kept demanding more and more concessions.

You keep repeating that same lie, clearly you did not pay any attention to what was being said on the floor of congress during the filibuster. When the Republicans were saying repeatedly Make cuts to pay for it and we will vote for it, or when they suggested using TARP funds to pay for it. The democrats not only refused to do either, They refused to even talk about it.

no you just want to be able to sit here and make claims about what they "would" have done as if you are some all knowing prophet.

Typical Lying Liberal.

My company is hiring 20-30 people a week. A year ago, we were hiring about 5 people a week.

There are jobs, but you can't find them if you aren't looking for them.

Just looking at tax cuts given to business in the stimulus package:

- Allowing companies to use current losses to offset profits made in last five years (instead of the standard two): 15 billion
- Renewable energy production credits: 13 billion
- Accelerated depreciation claims on equipment : 5 billion

Even politifact got it wrong
The key word in his statement is "working." Obama's claim is based on a tax cut intended to offset payroll taxes. Under the stimulus bill, single workers got $400, and working couples got $800. The Internal Revenue Service issued new guidelines to reduce withholdings for income tax, so many workers saw a small increase in their checks in April 2009.
PolitiFact | Tax cut for 95 percent? The stimulus made it so
It's not a tax cut if you have to pay it back at the end of the year.

You just demonstrated how you're are incapable of engaging in an honest discussion:

Polk just listed three tax cuts for BUSINESSES, and your response has nothing to do with BUSINESS taxes.

ok not a problem
Hot Air Obama tax cuts a “bait and switch”

From the land of Lincoln
Obama's "small business" tax cuts aren't all they're cracked up to be
http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/i...x-cuts-arent-all-theyre-cracked-up-to-be.html

Last edited:
Umm, Congress has already cut taxes

In the words of Joe Wilson
"you lie"
So lets here about those tax cuts?

1) The bank bailout bill included tax cuts, which the republicans voted against
2) The stimulus bill included tax cuts, which the republicans voted against

The health care bill included tax increases which the dems voted in unethically. Taxes are going up, and that includes yours. Our dear leader is telling all the other nations they need to keep spending to get out of the world recession.

There is a bright spot, some of those leaders are rejecting that plan.

Forum List

Back