Under Obamacare, black women “have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country”

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
Under Obamacare, black women “have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country.”

And you don’t have to take my word for that.

NBC News just reported: (the bolding is mine)

Black women are underserved when it comes to birth control access. The Roe decision could make that worse.

Discrimination, stigma and systemic barriers in the health care system have already led to a gap in contraceptive access for Black women.

The Supreme Court’s ruling to gut nationwide rights to abortion last week has highlighted the importance of access to birth control, which already proves difficult for many women of color due to discrimination, stigma and systemic barriers in the health care system.

While the decision does not directly impact access to contraception, legal experts say that states and municipalities that are aiming to ban abortion at the point of conception may also challenge contraceptives like Plan B and intrauterine devices. Some state legislators have already taken steps to try to restrict birth control. In Tennessee, U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn, a Republican, earlier this year called Griswold v. Connecticut, the 1965 case that ensured birth control access to individuals who were married, “constitutionally unsound.” (A spokesperson for Blackburn told The Washington Post in June that she “does not support banning birth control, nor did she call for a ban.”)

The hardest burden is going to largely fall on Black women who already have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country,” Jennifer Driver, senior director of reproductive rights for the State Innovation Exchange, a national resource and strategy center, said about the impact of the decision. “And now it’s going to be even harder.”

So there you have it. NBC quoted a health care expert as saying that, “Black women who already have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country.”

Obamacare has been in effect since 2014.

What percentage of black women voted for Obama? Well, the Washington Post reported:

“… black women have been Obama’s most loyal supporters at the ballot box. They accounted for 60 percent of all black voters in 2008 and supported Obama to the tune of 96 percent. In 2012, 98 percent of black women under 30 voted for Obama, compared to 80 percent of young black men.”

So 96% of black women voted for Obama in his first election.

And 98% of black women under 30 voted for Obama in his second election.

Liberals refer to this as “diversity.”

But I don’t see any “diversity” there.

Instead, all I see is conformity.

Anyway, the fact that under Obamacare, black women “have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country,” is a direct result of the fact that elections have consequences.

The vast majority of black women voted for the President who gave them Obamacare.

So the fact that these same black women “have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country” is a direct result of their own voting choices.

Typical Obummer plan.........700 mo premium is 8400 yr........Add 8000 dollar deductible and you have 16,400 out of pocket
He did so much damag
Democrats crow about the millions of people who now have "coverage" under Obamacare. What they don't say is the average deductible is $5K per year which is clearly beyond the reach of the bottom 50% in income.

The article posted leads to questions.

They state black women have “…reproductive health challenges, like fibroids and polycystic ovary syndrome.“. Well…those existed before the SC decision. So, how does the decision change anything?

Then it states…”There are plenty of reasons why Black women are especially underserved when it comes to birth control access, especially in rural areas or health care deserts, where transportation to far-flung providers is difficult to wrangle…”. Again this existed before the decision, so how does the decision make it worse?

Then this…”birth control methods like intrauterine devices or contraceptive implants can cost thousands of dollars for the uninsured.” This is true for all poor and working class American women.

Agreed. Wasn't addressing you.......................I refuse to read these page longs op. Summarize your point in 3 sentences and link it...Not that hard....lol
This. If I have to scroll more than once on my phone to read an OP, I'm out. Unless it's a truly unique and interesting OP, but that's less than 0.1% of the threads on here. Most are just retreads of dead-horse topics and/or could be summed up in a couple sentences.

Under Obamacare, black women “have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country.”

Black women are underserved when it comes to birth control access. The Roe decision could make that worse.

Discrimination, stigma and systemic barriers in the health care system have already led to a gap in contraceptive access for Black women.

The Supreme Court’s ruling to gut nationwide rights to abortion last week has highlighted the importance of access to birth control, which already proves difficult for many women of color due to discrimination, stigma and systemic barriers in the health care system.

While the decision does not directly impact access to contraception, legal experts say that states and municipalities that are aiming to ban abortion at the point of conception may also challenge contraceptives like Plan B and intrauterine devices. Some state legislators have already taken steps to try to restrict birth control. In Tennessee, U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn, a Republican, earlier this year called Griswold v. Connecticut, the 1965 case that ensured birth control access to individuals who were married, “constitutionally unsound.” (A spokesperson for Blackburn told The Washington Post in June that she “does not support banning birth control, nor did she call for a ban.”)

The hardest burden is going to largely fall on Black women who already have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country,” Jennifer Driver, senior director of reproductive rights for the State Innovation Exchange, a national resource and strategy center, said about the impact of the decision. “And now it’s going to be even harder.”

So there you have it. NBC quoted a health care expert as saying that, “Black women who already have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country.”

What percentage of black women voted for Obama? Well, the Washington Post reported:

“… black women have been Obama’s most loyal supporters at the ballot box. They accounted for 60 percent of all black voters in 2008 and supported Obama to the tune of 96 percent. In 2012, 98 percent of black women under 30 voted for Obama, compared to 80 percent of young black men.”

Anyway, the fact that under Obamacare, black women “have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country,” is a direct result of the fact that elections have consequences.

The vast majority of black women voted for the President who gave them Obamacare.

So the fact that these same black women “have insurmountable challenges just getting health care in this country” is a direct result of their own voting choices.

Well that's the dumbest spin ever on a real problem Fred. Obamacare has NOTHING to do with the ability to access healthcare. But racial biases within the American health care industry are the problem. When black people report pain, they're not believed. Even black doctors have noted this phenonomenon. When they get sick, their reports of pain are not believed, and staff talk about them like they're not in the room.

If you're a black woman, you're 7 times more likely to die in childbirth. Your child is more likely to die in the first year of life. But you're "prolife". Save the fetus. Fuck everyone else.

No you’re wrong. O was a fraud. Voters wanted to believe he was the one. You know…”Hope and Change“ and “Yes we can!” They didn’t expect him to lie to them.

O was a corporatist warmonger just as bad as W. He dropped more bombs than W, bailed out criminal banks while kicking 5 million families from their homes, took W’s tax cuts for the rich and renewed them, took W’s Patriot Act an expanded it, took W’s two wars and made it seven….all while doing absolutely nothing for blacks.

What are those insurmountable challenges?

Did they have these challenges before?

Have these challenges increased or decreased since the ACA was implemented?

These are questions someone who is not a hyper partison hack would ask.

Forum List

Back